ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Prince Philip

Some of his classics:

“If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes,” he remarked to 21-year-old British student Simon Kerby during a visit to China in 1986.

“I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family,” he said in 1967 when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

“You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got a pot belly,” said to a British tourist in Budapest , Hungary in 1993.

“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” he asked residents of the Cayman Islands in 1994.

“Do you still throw spears at each other?” he asked Aboriginal leader William Brin at the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland in 2002.

“Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?” he told a wheelchair-bound Susan Edwards with her guide dog Natalie in 2002.

“Do people trip over you?” he asked a wheelchair-bound nursing-home resident in 2002.

“How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?” he asked mobility scooter user David Miller, a trustee of the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge, in 2012.

“You are a woman, aren’t you?” he asked woman in Kenya in 1984.

“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans,” he said in 2000.

“So who’s on drugs here?… HE looks as if he’s on drugs,” he said referring to a 14-year-old member of a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

“It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons,” he said of “primitive” Ethiopian art in 1965.

Reactions: UncleMark

You've got a serious inferiority complex.
Haha... it would be nice. It would make me more humble. Besides, anyone up at this time of the night should be having concerns about one's own mental/physical health.

Clearly, you don't know much about British culture or public opinion.

You really expect us to believe you don't see the inherent differences between a term like "South African variant" and "Kung Flu?" Really?

Kung Flu, sure. China Virus - no. If it were called that by someone who wasn't a clown, most that are offended wouldn't have an issue with it.

You would be the exception to that, obviously.

You said he was a “known Nazi sympathizer”.

Any luck there or did you pull that out of your ass?

How many of you here actually lived in England or know anything more about Philip than what you read on the American press, which is rare to start with?
If you did, then this wouldnt be news to you.

How many of you here actually lived in England or know anything more about Philip than what you read on the American press, which is rare to start with?
If you did, then this wouldnt be news to you.
Well, I for one didn't get anything I know about Philip from the American press, and it's still news to me. If he were a "known" Nazi sympathizer, I certainly would have thought a newspaper like The Guardian, which advocates for the abolition of the monarchy, would have at least mentioned it.

Well, I for one didn't get anything I know about Philip from the American press, and it's still news to me. If he were a "known" Nazi sympathizer, I certainly would have thought a newspaper like The Guardian, which advocates for the abolition of the monarchy, would have at least mentioned it.
It's old news like 20-30yrs ago. They cleaned up his image since.
Have you seen the movie The Bank Job? There are a lot of stories similar to that -- news blackouts on the royal family etc

Last edited:
Have you seen the movie The Bank Job? There are a lot of stories similar to that -- news blackouts on the royal family etc
In this hyper sensitive era, there is no way Philip was a Nazi sympathizer and it doesn’t get mentioned when he passes away.

No way.

Besides, if it was such common knowledge 20-30 years ago, there should still be at least SOME record of it, SOMEWHERE. One would think.

Again, provide some proof or stop talking out of your ass.

Reactions: 76-1

Harry Hargreaves talks about how Philip saved his life and the lives of his shipmates during the invasion of Sicily.

You’re saying this is all made up? Really?

Reactions: 76-1
Nah, I think you're just full of it. You don't like the guy, so you readily believe what some trolls say about him. Stick to facts in the future.

171930224_603009461095662_7078756372816943842_n.jpg

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I'm surprised no one (@sglowrider) started a thread on this. Not a surprise death by any means, at age 99 and most likely in poor health for quite some time. Philip had his detractors, but he probably doesn't get enough credit for his role in defining the modern monarchy, according to The Guardian, itself not exactly a monarchist publication. He saw royalty not as a privilege, but as a profession, and thought it could do good things for the nation and the world, and worked tirelessly to achieve that. And he willingly did so from the shadows, always walking a few steps behind his wife, famously kneeling before her at her coronation, in a display of what The Guardian calls "a different kind of masculine ideal."

Whatever else he was, he wasn't irrelevant. He played a huge role behind the scenes in British history, as a loyal and trusted advisor to the Queen, and in the western world, as a man who quietly helped shape the institutions of government and society.

As Richard Powers once wrote, when two people spend decades together in love, when one goes, the other often follows, so I suppose the Queen is now on watch.

(Technically, if I were British, it would be treason for me to think such a thought.)
Of course I don't know their inner lives. But I hope the Prince and the Queen loved each other deeply. Sometimes those marriages are more about politics than real love. For their sakes I hope being married 74 yrs was a satisfying life.

Of course I don't know their inner lives. But I hope the Prince and the Queen loved each other deeply. Sometimes those marriages are more about politics than real love. For their sakes I hope being married 74 yrs was a satisfying life.
Apparently ole Phil was a bit of snake, hiding his latent Nazi tendencies for 80 years. He almost got away with it too, except for @sglowrider. Although @sglowrider seems reluctant to share details.

I am watching a bit of the funeral, it reminds me of Tuchman's description of the funeral for Edward VII. All the royal families of Europe attended not knowing most of them would be dead or thrown out within 6 years.

Of course the coffin was a much older version of Land Rover

Lowrider made a couple of shitty posts. At least they were on topic. I'm talking about opening the thread to see crap about white supremacy and Keith Olbermann complaining about golf. Even if you guys are right about how stupid and damaging these people are, shoehorning that complaint into every conversation possible is eye-rollingly similar to the very thing you complain about. At this point, the only thing this thread is missing is IGW jumping in to tell us all how Philip was intimately tied to Comcast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT