ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Prince Philip

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I'm surprised no one (@sglowrider) started a thread on this. Not a surprise death by any means, at age 99 and most likely in poor health for quite some time. Philip had his detractors, but he probably doesn't get enough credit for his role in defining the modern monarchy, according to The Guardian, itself not exactly a monarchist publication. He saw royalty not as a privilege, but as a profession, and thought it could do good things for the nation and the world, and worked tirelessly to achieve that. And he willingly did so from the shadows, always walking a few steps behind his wife, famously kneeling before her at her coronation, in a display of what The Guardian calls "a different kind of masculine ideal."

Whatever else he was, he wasn't irrelevant. He played a huge role behind the scenes in British history, as a loyal and trusted advisor to the Queen, and in the western world, as a man who quietly helped shape the institutions of government and society.

As Richard Powers once wrote, when two people spend decades together in love, when one goes, the other often follows, so I suppose the Queen is now on watch.

(Technically, if I were British, it would be treason for me to think such a thought.)

I'm surprised no one (@sglowrider) started a thread on this. Not a surprise death by any means, at age 99 and most likely in poor health for quite some time. Philip had his detractors, but he probably doesn't get enough credit for his role in defining the modern monarchy, according to The Guardian, itself not exactly a monarchist publication. He saw royalty not as a privilege, but as a profession, and thought it could do good things for the nation and the world, and worked tirelessly to achieve that. And he willingly did so from the shadows, always walking a few steps behind his wife, famously kneeling before her at her coronation, in a display of what The Guardian calls "a different kind of masculine ideal."

Whatever else he was, he wasn't irrelevant. He played a huge role behind the scenes in British history, as a loyal and trusted advisor to the Queen, and in the western world, as a man who quietly helped shape the institutions of government and society.

As Richard Powers once wrote, when two people spend decades together in love, when one goes, the other often follows, so I suppose the Queen is now on watch.

(Technically, if I were British, it would be treason for me to think such a thought.)

He was a old racist, shitty driver who caused a few accidents.
No skin off my nose.

He literally fought against the Nazis in the navy.

Prince%20Philip%20Darmstadt%201937.JPG

Him, a young Philip at the front, next to some fella call Herman Goering at his sister (a Nazi)'s funeral. Both sisters were married to high ranking Nazis. Royals back then married out of convenience and political expediency. So were their political views just coincidental?

Him, a young Philip at the front, next to some fella call Herman Goering at his sister (a Nazi)'s funeral. Both sisters were married to high ranking Nazis.
So he went to his sister's funeral. Doesn't make him a Nazi. Like I said, he served in the war. So calling him a Nazi sympathizer requires some, you know, actual evidence, since his wartime service would suggest otherwise.

Him, a young Philip at the front, next to some fella call Herman Goering at his sister (a Nazi)'s funeral. Both sisters were married to high ranking Nazis. Royals back then married out of convenience and political expediency. So were their political views just coincidental?
Please tell me you have more evidence than this.

I think Marv was right.

I’m forever told that it’s my side that’s a dumpster fire. To a point they’re right. But this thinking is going to be the death of your side. It’s a contagion and it’s spreading out of control. It will have to result in a great illumination of people realizing how stupid it is or it will cause a civil war.
Like the far right maga nuts there are these far left cancel culture everything is racist nuts. The irony is they don’t see they’re a different side of the same coin. Just as destructive to society. There’s also a horrible entitled element to them. Rapinoe types. They will/are going too far and there will be a correction and the pendulum will swing back. Though it won’t swing as far back and some racist shit we took for granted will have been exposed and things will be a little better because of it all imho.

I’m forever told that it’s my side that’s a dumpster fire. To a point they’re right. But this thinking is going to be the death of your side. It’s a contagion and it’s spreading out of control. It will have to result in a great illumination of people realizing how stupid it is or it will cause a civil war.
To wit-“CANCEL THE MASTERS!!! I mean, it’s called “The MASTERS”, for Christ’s sake”.

Bahahahahaaa.

Reactions: 76-1
Like the far right maga nuts there are these far left cancel culture everything is racist nuts. The irony is they don’t see they’re a different side of the same coin. Just as destructive to society. There’s also a horrible entitled element to them. Rapinoe types. They will/are going too far and there will be a correction and the pendulum will swing back. Though it won’t swing as far back and some racist shit we took for granted will have been exposed and things will be a little better because of it all imho.
They’ve not gone as far as they want. They won’t stop until we have a new country built on equality of outcomes.

Good luck making it through this piece of shit. Imagine being this out of control of your own life.

They’ve not gone as far as they want. They won’t stop until we have a new country built on equality of outcomes.

Good luck making it through this piece of shit. Imagine being this out of control of your own life.

I can’t . I stopped at white supremacy. I can’t imagine what it must be like at some universities now

I can’t . I stopped at white supremacy. I can’t imagine what it must be like at some universities now
Obviously this is a cherry picked video like the ones they show from Trump rallies but....

Obviously this is a cherry picked video like the ones they show from Trump rallies but....

Absolutely. There is an inherent condescension in what’s taking place. Again I’m counting on the pubs taking the house. A bumpy ride for the next few years and a reset by the next election with good candidates that appeal to the majority of us on both sides. Dems and repubs. I won’t be surprised in the least if biden turns out to be a dog shit president perfectly on par with and every bit as divisive as trump. Just the opposite side of the coin. His rhetoric with the USWNT on equal pay and Harris on Breonna Taylor were a harbinger. He is no Obama. Far from a “thinker.”

And a concerted effort to address the centuries of economic frustration visited upon blacks so that we all have equal opportunities, not outcomes. And F the media. All of it. Not popular on this board but I see the media as an enormous threat to our nation’s well-being.

Anyway. Rant over. Barcelona and Real today. All good in the hood.

Absolutely. There is an inherent condescension in what’s taking place. Again I’m counting on the pubs taking the house. A bumpy ride for the next few years and a reset by the next election with good candidates that appeal to the majority of us on both sides. Dems and repubs. I won’t be surprised in the least if biden turns out to be a dog shit president perfectly on par with and every bit as divisive as trump. Just the opposite side of the coin. His rhetoric with the USWNT on equal pay and Harris on Breonna Taylor were a harbinger. He is no Obama. Far from a “thinker.”

And a concerted effort to address the centuries of economic frustration visited upon blacks so that we all have equal opportunities, not outcomes. And F the media. All of it. Not popular on this board but I see the media as an enormous threat to our nation’s well-being.

Anyway. Rant over. Barcelona and Real today. All good in the hood.
Dude...it's Master's week. You can shelve the soccer for the weekend.
Sinema 2028...at this point it might be on the GOP ticket

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

so stupid because the majority of Asian attacks are made by by non whites

Well, this thread turned to shit in a hurry. Guys, not everything is an example of our worst political instincts. Did anyone consider the possibility that lowrider is simply apt to believe something bad about Philip because he doesn't like the guy?

Reactions: TommyCracker
Well, this thread turned to shit in a hurry. Guys, not everything is an example of our worst political instincts. Did anyone consider the possibility that lowrider is simply apt to believe something bad about Philip because he doesn't like the guy?
Jesus Christ. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

lowrider took the thread to shit with his bigotry... as he frequently does.

so stupid because the majority of Asian attacks are made by by non whites

Asian violence is up something like 3000% in the past year.

It's always gone up in times of crisis (the old when we're stressed we tend to turn on groups of people racy thing) but it was insane this past year.

At the same time we had a leader of the country determined to label the source of the stress the 'Chinese Virus' or the 'Kung Flu' while also scaring the hell out of his constituents on how China is the enemy of the US and the reason for most of our problems.

That is the current republican leadership style.

Is anyone surprised that Asian violence has skyrocketed?

Jesus Christ. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

lowrider took the thread to shit with his bigotry... as he frequently does.
Lowrider made a couple of shitty posts. At least they were on topic. I'm talking about opening the thread to see crap about white supremacy and Keith Olbermann complaining about golf. Even if you guys are right about how stupid and damaging these people are, shoehorning that complaint into every conversation possible is eye-rollingly similar to the very thing you complain about. At this point, the only thing this thread is missing is IGW jumping in to tell us all how Philip was intimately tied to Comcast.

Lowrider made a couple of shitty posts. At least they were on topic. I'm talking about opening the thread to see crap about white supremacy and Keith Olbermann complaining about golf. Even if you guys are right about how stupid and damaging these people are, shoehorning that complaint into every conversation possible is eye-rollingly similar to the very thing you complain about. At this point, the only thing this thread is missing is IGW jumping in to tell us all how Philip was intimately tied to Comcast.
Fine. But the beatings won’t stop until morale is improved.

In case you can’t tell I’m officially done with race baiting. It’s open season on all bigots. Ban me if you have to. Probably better that way.

Asian violence is up something like 3000% in the past year.

It's always gone up in times of crisis (the old when we're stressed we tend to turn on groups of people racy thing) but it was insane this past year.

At the same time we had a leader of the country determined to label the source of the stress the 'Chinese Virus' or the 'Kung Flu' while also scaring the hell out of his constituents on how China is the enemy of the US and the reason for most of our problems.

That is the current republican leadership style.

Is anyone surprised that Asian violence has skyrocketed?
Who has historically led the league in violence on Asians? Show your work Tommy.

And yes, Trump’s language was completely inappropriate.

Fine. But the beatings won’t stop until morale is improved.

In case you can’t tell I’m officially done with race baiting. It’s open season on all bigots. Ban me if you have to. Probably better that way.
No, have fun. You often make good points about race-baiting and cancel culture. I'm just saying, if you frustratedly need to remind us that "Not everything is racism," then I feel like I must frustratedly remind you that "Not everything is race-baiting."

Let me put it in the context of this thread. I really doubt Lowrider saw a pic of Philip at his sister's funeral and said, "OMG, he was a Nazi!" I think he already believed Philip was a racist and a Nazi, and went looking for something to back up his predisposition. That fact that he could only come back with such weak sauce is telling. If he wasn't already biased against the man, the response to that photo would likely have been something like, "Oh, he really cared for his sister, even though she married into a pretty shady crowd."

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT