ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jerry Sloan

Being in Evansville, I met Jerry a few times. He came back every now and then for team reunions and the like.

I think the last time I talked to him was at the final UE game at Roberts Stadium. So that would've been the spring of 2011. Sloan was there, along with the other star of their undefeated 1964-65 team Larry Humes and dozens of former UE players and coaches from all eras. Most in the crowd stayed after the game and everybody was down on the floor. As always, Sloan was just as friendly as could be. You could tell he loved being around his old teammates.

He also had some involvement in the local Race for the Cure. His late (first) wife Bobbye, who lost a battle with pancreatic cancer, had been involved prior to her death.

RIP

Reactions: kkott
One other tidbit about Sloan...

He accepted the job as Evansville's head coach after Arad McCutchan retired in 1977. But he had a change of heart a few days later. Bobby Watson ended up taking the job.

It was December 13th of what would've been Sloan's first season that the Aces' team plane crashed, killing everybody aboard.

Recap of Sloan and the UE 1965 season. Interesting tidbit, after UE beat Iowa, Iowa went on to beat eventual NCAA Champions UCLA.

Thanks for posting that! It’s almost unthinkable today that what’s now known as a D-II team would beat 2 Big Ten teams and a ranked Notre Dame team like they did. The SIU team (that was UE’s big rival then) they beat in OT for the title featured the great Walt Frazier.

I also loved their unique uniforms - they wore robes as warmups.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
I don’t mean to sidetrack this thread, but what a shame the current state of UE basketball has become. Sloan was way before my time, but that will always be the golden era of Aces basketball, along with some of the Crews years.

Reactions: meridian
I don’t mean to sidetrack this thread, but what a shame the current state of UE basketball has become. Sloan was way before my time, but that will always be the golden era of Aces basketball, along with some of the Crews years.
Yes, when I was at IU, the basketball was it! Even I loved it, went to the game, and hardly missed a game on TV when it's on.

After moving to Seattle, I would go to a local bar where the fellow Hoosiers would gather to watch and cheer/swear. Today, I hardly check the scoreboard anymore. I watch tennis instead.:(

Last edited:
One other tidbit about Sloan...

He accepted the job as Evansville's head coach after Arad McCutchan retired in 1977. But he had a change of heart a few days later. Bobby Watson ended up taking the job.

It was December 13th of what would've been Sloan's first season that the Aces' team plane crashed, killing everybody aboard.
wow....just ...wow.

Great family and my neighbor in Northbrook, Il. (during Jerry's playing days with the Bulls). Son Brian went to my high school (Glenbrook North, where Jon Scheyer from Duke played). Brian, of course, played for us and RMK. Godspeed to the family

Reactions: kkott
Great family and my neighbor in Northbrook, Il. (during Jerry's playing days with the Bulls). Son Brian went to my high school (Glenbrook North, where Jon Scheyer from Duke played). Brian, of course, played for us and RMK. Godspeed to the family
Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that Brian Sloan went to Glenbrook North?
Brian Sloan went to McLeansboro High School in Hamilton County (deep south Illinois), and led the team to a 35-0 record/state championship his senior year, as well as winning the 1984 Illinois Mr. Basketball award.

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that Brian Sloan went to Glenbrook North?
Brian Sloan went to McLeansboro High School in Hamilton County (deep south Illinois), and led the team to a 35-0 record/state championship his senior year, as well as winning the 1984 Illinois Mr. Basketball award.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT