ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Gale Sayers

IMHO Sayers was the best running back/returner ever, albeit a shortened career. Led the league in rushing twice, including the year after the Alexander knee injury which was a torn MCL and ACL. He still holds several records, including averaging almost 31 yards per kick return for his career.

Payton was an incredible back, but compared to Sayers watching Walter was like seeing a Clydesdale versus a thoroughbred. Nothing against Payton, but Sayers was a different breed altogether. Sanders was the closest I've seen since.

Sayers was much more than his highlights suggest...and we've all seen the highlights.

He's why I'm a Bear's fan.

IMHO Sayers was the best running back/returner ever, albeit a shortened career. Led the league in rushing twice, including the year after the Alexander knee injury which was a torn MCL and ACL. He still holds several records, including averaging almost 31 yards per kick return for his career.

Payton was an incredible back, but compared to Sayers watching Walter was like seeing a Clydesdale versus a thoroughbred. Nothing against Payton, but Sayers was a different breed altogether. Sanders was the closest I've seen since.

Sayers was much more than his highlights suggest...and we've all seen the highlights.

He's why I'm a Bear's fan.

As someone who watched a lot of bad Bears teams with Walter as the only highlight and redeeming player; high praise indeed!

As bad as the Bears were in Walter's time (pre Buddy Ryan of course) they were a LOT worse in the 60's.

For having Butkus and Sayers, arguably the best at their respective positions, they were horrible.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT