ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Christopher Tolkien

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
JRRT's youngest son and literary executor has died at 95. He collected and edited his father's notes to produce a wide array of posthumous publications that greatly expanded the Tolkien legendarium. He also famously clashed with Peter Jackson and New Line over the film series, which caused a rift with his own son, author Simon Tolkien, who felt that the family should be supportive of the film franchise.

Christopher was known as the stubborn purist of the Tolkien estate, and even after he stepped down as director a couple of years ago, he was probably still the biggest impediment for any of Tolkien's stories beyond the Hobbit/LOTR from ever being adapted. Now, one wonders just how long it will be until Peter Jackson is beginning filming for Beren and Luthien.

Last edited:
JRRT's youngest son and literary executor has died at 95. He collected and edited his father's notes to produce a wide array of posthumous publication that greatly expanded the Tolkien legendarium. He also famously clashed with Peter Jackson and New Line over the film series, which caused a rift with his own son, author Simon Tolkien, who felt that the family should be supportive of the film franchise.

Christopher was known as the stubborn purist of the Tolkien estate, and even after he stepped down as director a couple of years ago, he was probably still the biggest impediment for any of Tolkien's stories beyond the Hobbit/LOTR from ever being adapted. Now, one wonders just how long it will be until Peter Jackson is beginning filming for Beren and Luthien.

I respect Chris for wanting to honor his father's vision as faithfully as possible. I blame Congress for letting the Mouse dictate laws on this matter entirely. When Cthulu and Holmes went public, tons of great, and not great, stuff came out. Middle Earth should be far richer in stories.

JRRT's youngest son and literary executor has died at 95. He collected and edited his father's notes to produce a wide array of posthumous publications that greatly expanded the Tolkien legendarium. He also famously clashed with Peter Jackson and New Line over the film series, which caused a rift with his own son, author Simon Tolkien, who felt that the family should be supportive of the film franchise.

Can't thank Christopher enough for his work in realizing all of the amazing stories that his father started. I've always wanted to see the Silmarillion on the big screen so, hopefully, that will come to fruition though I hope if Peter Jackson gets the job, he doesn't Peter Jackson it up too much. The book is nearly perfect just the way CT released it. My favorite Tolkien story, though, outside of LOTR is the Children of Hurin. I'd like to see that on film too.

Amazon is already doing a Middle Earth series set during the 2nd age.

Can't thank Christopher enough for his work in realizing all of the amazing stories that his father started. I've always wanted to see the Silmarillion on the big screen so, hopefully, that will come to fruition though I hope if Peter Jackson gets the job, he doesn't Peter Jackson it up too much. The book is nearly perfect just the way CT released it. My favorite Tolkien story, though, outside of LOTR is the Children of Hurin. I'd like to see that on film too.
"Aure entuluva!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT