ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bill Walton

What a character. Total original.
i like when marv albert would wind him up. my favorite was he was really getting bill good and finally bill goes "marv. when you're talking great centers in nba history. you've got your waltons. chamberlains, ...." i was dying laughing. went with himself first. he was definitely a character and an original

i like when marv albert would wind him up. my favorite was he was really getting bill good and finally bill goes "marv. when you're talking great centers in nba history. you've got your waltons. chamberlains, ...." i was dying laughing. went with himself first. he was definitely a character and an original
I listen to JMV’s podcast and his intro has Bill Walton saying, and I’m paraphrasing, “John, I have never been better. It’s so great to be here in Indianapolis, a place where so many of my dreams have come true.” 😂

He was truly an original.

Dead of cancer at 71.

Obligatory f**k cancer.
Really shocking. Esp that he died after a "prolonged battle" with Cancer since no one seemed to be aware he had it, unlike say Dickie V...He just sounded like his regular crazy self whenever I caught a PAC 12 game or tourney he was broadcasting on. I wonder how many of his friends at ESPN knew about it, or were aware of how serios it was?

He also seemed to epitomize an active healthy lifestyle, always biking or running.It's ironic that he basically passed within the same year as Big George McGinnis. While George wasn't around for the '73 Final Four clash between Walton and Downing, he did face Big George in the NBA Championship series between Portland and Mac's 76ers. It's sad he won't be around to do UCLA's upcoming Big 10 games, and make the annual pilgrimage to AH.

For anyone interested, this interview with Jake Bilas is worth a listen. Jake grew up in SoCal so Walton was his hero growing up before they worked together and became close friends...

Damn, I was hoping the BTN was going to hire him on to cover games next season. Loved the entertainment value he provided, especially if it was a lopsided game.

He was one of my favorite players in the NBA (before I stopped watching the NBA) and one of my least favorite basketball commentators. RIP.

Dead of cancer at 71.

Obligatory f**k cancer.
Michael Franzese, a former mobster and now a Christian has had a few bouts with cancer. He has a tattoo on his left arm, "F**k Cancer. I have to say I agree with this sentiment. If cancer was a man I would punch him in the nose. It has taken a lot of people I love.

He was one of my favorite players in the NBA (before I stopped watching the NBA) and one of my least favorite basketball commentators. RIP.
I loved him as a player and loved listening to his commentary, unless it was an IU game. I guess I take IU games seriously, and he was always having a good time and cracking jokes with a quirky offbeat sense of humor that some people just didn't "get". Some bench player would dunk the basketball and strut afterwards, and Walton would gush about it being "the greatest dunk in the history of human civilization, a yet still worth only two points!"

I loved him as a player and loved listening to his commentary, unless it was an IU game. I guess I take IU games seriously, and he was always having a good time and cracking jokes with a quirky offbeat sense of humor that some people just didn't "get". Some bench player would dunk the basketball and strut afterwards, and Walton would gush about it being "the greatest dunk in the history of human civilization, a yet still worth only two points!"
I generally don't listen to any announcers much. As far as I'm concerned, they're just background noise when I watch a game. I don't need them to tell me what I'm seeing. Going into or out of commercials I listen some and I will focus when I hear a comment that interests me and that's about it. Walton's commentary was just irritating to me. I know people liked it, but I didn't.

A magnificently kind and joyous person has left this realm.

Shine on, big fella, shine on.
I've been watching a lot of the coverage. I've been struck by virtually everyone from all walks of life and all parts of the country have commented on his generosity, kindness, and the time he gave to anyone who he encountered. Seems that anyone who ever met him reiterates how he always asked them about their lives rather than just talk about his.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT