ADVERTISEMENT

Riles commits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should all NFL and NBA teams be subject to a cap?

Maybe because people want teams to be somewhat fair.
The only reason there is a cap for player salary is the agreements they have in bargaining between player unions and management. There is no coach pay cap I'm aware of in the pros. I don't think it would be legal to cap college coaches salaries without collective bargaining.

Reactions: brianiu and jsenleo
Well, we need some edge rushers, and he is tall and has a good frame, and had 68 tackles, 24 TFL, 14 sacks, and 2 INT in his first full year on defense. Can you comprehend why some might feel like he could have some success here?
Thanks, don't be a stranger. This place is better when posters who know a lot about the program are active.

Uhm,.. something tells me you don't understand the definition of the word, Professional.

Players that are getting paid to play.

Not much difference between college and pros except in college we are pretending that their NIL is worth loads of cash but it is nothing more than people paying players to come to their school

I am saying the NIL system is a load of crap and it would be more fair to set it up like the nfl/nba. Obviously that isn't illegal since nba and nfl are allowed

i strongly disagree an NIL system is a good thing.

if you do one there's no other way it can go, other than the direction it's gone in.

as it's gone isn't one possibly way it could have. it's the inevitable way.

i said as much day one.

i agree fball and bball players deserve some extra money on top of tuition room and board, but say $200-$300 wk, with all players on team getting the exact same amount, and all schools limited to the same max payout per player.

at the same time, all schools should have a coaches' salary cap as well. (just as legal as college sports has always been, and as any player caps, college or pro, have ever been).

if someone wants to start new pro leagues, go for it. sounds great. best of luck. and i mean that sincerely.

just don't hijack college sports as your vehicle to doing so.
Would you want a salary cap on your profession?

Reactions: jsenleo
Players that are getting paid to play.

Not much difference between college and pros except in college we are pretending that their NIL is worth loads of cash but it is nothing more than people paying players to come to their school

I am saying the NIL system is a load of crap and it would be more fair to set it up like the nfl/nba. Obviously that isn't illegal since nba and nfl are allowed
Respectfully a bad take IMO.

I would just ask you to consider the amount of time a power 5 player has to dedicate to their craft. I have done the math for my own son and it is less than $7 an hour (exercise was inclusive only of stipend and scholarship).

Then also ask yourself if you really think the revenue a university makes off the name/image/likeness of these players is equitable. Consider all of it...concessions, tickets, parking, branded/logo sales, TV/Radio broadcasting rights, League revenue sharing, etc.

How do you justify a coach making between 3m-8mil annually and a player should not be making anything?

Just so I am clear, I think it is all fair. I have no issue with schools, coaches, players, support staff, etc. getting paid.

IMO, the multiple undergrad transfer conditions cause more harm to college football than NIL.

Just my .02

Respectfully a bad take IMO.

I would just ask you to consider the amount of time a power 5 player has to dedicate to their craft. I have done the math for my own son and it is less than $7 an hour (exercise was inclusive only of stipend and scholarship).

Then also ask yourself if you really think the revenue a university makes off the name/image/likeness of these players is equitable. Consider all of it...concessions, tickets, parking, branded/logo sales, TV/Radio broadcasting rights, League revenue sharing, etc.

How do you justify a coach making between 3m-8mil annually and a player should not be making anything?

IMO, the multiple undergrad transfer conditions cause more harm to college football than NIL.

Just my .02

I don't think a coach should be making 3 to 8 million.

Do you think these people or companies shelling out cash for NIL are actually getting a return on investment or care? It is not about name, image or likeness. It is about giving your team a competitive advantage.

If the universities are rolling in cash then how about lowering ticket/concession prices?

Feeding the greed always trumps doing what's right though

I don't think a coach should be making 3 to 8 million.

Do you think these people or companies shelling out cash for NIL are actually getting a return on investment or care? It is not about name, image or likeness. It is about giving your team a competitive advantage.

If the universities are rolling in cash then how about lowering ticket/concession prices?

Feeding the greed always trumps doing what's right though
Not a fan of the free market, eh?

Who determines what's 'fair' compensation? You?

Not a fan of the free market, eh?

Who determines what's 'fair' compensation? You?
Not a fan of how the NBA and NFL work?

Sorry, but it is not like my idea isn't already being used by other leagues.

Pros don't even get to pick where they go during their rookie contracts. There is this thing called the draft. I know so unfair but they try to maintain balance.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not a fan of how the NBA and NFL work?

Sorry, but it is not like my idea isn't already being used by other leagues.
Coaches salaries are not regulated and neither are players salaries.

There is a salary cap that they can go over if they want to play a penalty.

But no, I'm not a big fan of the NBA or NFL.

Why should there be a cap on what players or coaches can earn? Why should there be equity, especially when relative value can vary significantly?

in a purely professional totally capitalist endeavor, one could argue there shouldn't.

but college sports and amateur sports were never meant to be purely professional and purely capitalistic endeavors.

as i said in my post above that you responded to with this sht, if you or anyone else wants to start another purely professional purely capitalistic basketball or football league, i will support your doing so whole wholeheartedly, and wish you nothing but success.

but that isn't what's going on here, is it.

what's going on, is those entrusted in being the guardians of amateur college sports, totally hijacking that institution and it's pre established fan base built over well over 100 yrs, and turning it into their own little purely capitalistic endeavor instead, and passing out millions to themselves in the process, while actually building or establishing nothing themselves, but simply self profiting off what all those who came before them built.

I REPEAT, WHILE ACTUALLY BUILDING OR ESTABLISHING NOTHING THEMSELVES, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, BUT SIMPLY SELF PROFITING OFF WHAT ALL THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE THEM BUILT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on that note, i have no problem with someone building a new bridge over a river, charging a toll for every car that passes, and keeping whatever percent of that toll for themselves.

i do have a problem with someone seeing 10s of thousands of cars crossing an already built bridge daily that was 100% funded and built by someone other than themself, then working from the inside to seize control of said bridge to financially benefit themselves when they did absolutely nothing themselves to build said bridge, and made zero capital or time investment themselves in erecting said bridge, but have merely hijacked an already established entity, 100% paid for and built by others with zero contribution from themselves, then stick additional tolls on it which travelers have no choice but to pay, and then keep millions a yr of those additional tolls for themselves.

if you see no credible analogy here, you are totally blind.

in a purely professional totally capitalist endeavor, one could argue there shouldn't.

but college sports and amateur sports were never meant to be purely professional and purely capitalistic endeavors.

as i said in my post above that you responded to with this sht, if you or anyone else wants to start another purely professional purely capitalistic basketball or football league, i will support your doing so whole wholeheartedly, and wish you nothing but success.

but that isn't what's going on here, is it.

what's going on, is those entrusted in being the guardians of amateur college sports, totally hijacking that institution and it's pre established fan base built over well over 100 yrs, and turning it into their own little purely capitalistic endeavor instead, and passing out millions to themselves in the process, while actually building or establishing nothing themselves, but simply self profiting off what all those who came before them built.

I REPEAT, WHILE ACTUALLY BUILDING OR ESTABLISHING NOTHING THEMSELVES, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, BUT SIMPLY SELF PROFITING OFF WHAT ALL THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE THEM BUILT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on that note, i have no problem with someone building a new bridge over a river, charging a toll for every car that passes, and keeping whatever percent of that toll for themselves.

i do have a problem with someone seeing 10s of thousands of cars crossing an already built bridge daily that was 100% funded and built by someone other than themself, then working from the inside to seize control of said bridge to financially benefit themselves when they did absolutely nothing themselves to build said bridge, and made zero capital or time investment themselves in erecting said bridge, but have merely hijacked an already established entity, 100% paid for and built by others with zero contribution from themselves, then stick additional tolls on it which travelers have no choice but to pay, and then keep millions a yr of those additional tolls for themselves.

if you see no credible analogy here, you are totally blind.
You make assumptions and draw conclusions based not on facts but rather misguided and inaccurate information, which is why you’re not credible. Oh, and the courts have already determined what players can earn here (and they’re likely to affirm that as college sports continues to evolve). This is mostly a lesson in old fashioned economics, regardless of whether you like it or not.

In reality all that was done was bring what was being done by many (probably most) schools under the table out into the open... At least the have nots now know exactly where they stand and what they need to ante up if they want to compete with the big names..., if more players gain from this system then that's a great thing... This way they don't have to sweat out worrying about whether an obscure 2nd cousin is handling their money well in an offshore account and in their best interests... (that's still a potential problem but at least now there's transparency and recourses available)...

As far as coaching salaries go, if the schools couldn't afford it they wouldn't pay out those numbers... Competition, Results, Supply and Demand... Those that don't like this system are free to move to Beijing...

any prior illegalities were illegal for a reason, and if not dealt with, should have been.

that said, what's going on now, and headed in the direction of, is on a scale literally 100 times $100 or even $10,000 handshakes.

as for schools being able to afford the beyond absurd salaries with beyond absurd guarantees, even if so which is questionable at best, hasn't been done without significant loss on the part of everyone else, all the fans, and even all the non fans who never watch college sports, but still are forced to pay for this salary insanity.

tickets have become unaffordable to many. (parking now costs more than game tickets used to).

long time fans for decades lose seating choice to the wealthy, even though the extra money from the wealthy is totally unneeded, just wanted.

the east sideline in AH is totally obscured to everyone in the east stands and everyone watching on tv, so a handful can sit in chairs where no chairs should be.

cable bills that used to be $6.95 mo are now over $100 mo, pricing many out of what should be a basic utility. (including many who don't even watch sports).

AH and other arenas now make Times Square look subdued as to gaudy.

tuition keeps rising and many non full prof teacher salaries are far less than they should be, leading to unaffordabilty of an education to many, beyond massive student debt, and not having the best teachers we could.

let's also not lose sight of the absolute reality that the entity with the max revenues over all else mentality that's now driving the goal of college sports to be to maximize revenues at all costs, to benefit the very very very few at the expense of the many, is also the very same entity that's entrusted to administrate our system of higher education.

and now, also a main, even dominant, player in our hospital and healthcare systems.

it would be beyond naive to assume said entity magically changes it's spots when overseeing it's inherited sports side, with it's inherited educational side, and it's inherited, newly acquired, and ever expanding, healthcare and hospital side.

Last edited:
You make assumptions and draw conclusions based not on facts but rather misguided and inaccurate information, which is why you’re not credible. Oh, and the courts have already determined what players can earn here (and they’re likely to affirm that as college sports continues to evolve). This is mostly a lesson in old fashioned economics, regardless of whether you like it or not.

The only thing the courts said is that schools can't prevent players from making money off their name, image, likeness.

Of all these players that have gotten paid, has any of it been literally for their name, image or likeness?

Nope, it has been just funneling donations to players under the guise of NIL. Not at all what the courts had ruled on.

It made it impossible for the ncaa to do anything about preventing pay to play...which they were already failing at.

What do you guys think would happen to IU basketball, football, etc. if we did not participate in NIL at all?

I will say this...you should be very proud of the way it is used (I can speak firsthand for football) vs other Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and Pac-12 schools. Even non P5 schools...a lot of those guys were simply asking for a number. IU does not play that game.

NIL here is not exorbitant, but it is fair, and done in a way to respect all players and build up the locker room. Too many times you see a few guys making a ton of money and other guys getting very little. That creates a very bad environment IMO.

The only thing the courts said is that schools can't prevent players from making money off their name, image, likeness.

Of all these players that have gotten paid, has any of it been literally for their name, image or likeness?

Nope, it has been just funneling donations to players under the guise of NIL. Not at all what the courts had ruled on.

It made it impossible for the ncaa to do anything about preventing pay to play...which they were already failing at.
Players are literally selling their Name, Image and Likeness so, yes, they’re being paid for exactly that. And it’s only the beginning. Wait until they unionize and demand a cut of the revenues associated with their sports.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Players are literally selling their Name, Image and Likeness so, yes, they’re being paid for exactly that. And it’s only the beginning. Wait until they unionize and demand a cut of the revenues associated with their sports.

lol. they claim to be selling it. have you seen anyone's name, image or likeness being used after being "purchased"?

What do you guys think would happen to IU basketball, football, etc. if we did not participate in NIL at all?

I will say this...you should be very proud of the way it is used (I can speak firsthand for football) vs other Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and Pac-12 schools. Even non P5 schools...a lot of those guys were simply asking for a number. IU does not play that game.

NIL here is not exorbitant, but it is fair, and done in a way to respect all players and build up the locker room. Too many times you see a few guys making a ton of money and other guys getting very little. That creates a very bad environment IMO.

I understand it's necessary to keep up with the Joneses or be left behind.

It's great that we are being more fair about it than other schools but illustrates the fact that we will never be able to compete with some of the schools. Weren't able to before (probably due to schools paying players in the background) but this pretty much guarantees it.

Yes.

And you sound jealous of these athletes at this point.

Of course, I would love free money too but that's not the point.

There's a thing called competitive balance, which is why pro leagues generally don't just let teams pay to win.

lol. they claim to be selling it. have you seen anyone's name, image or likeness being used after being "purchased"?
Of course. You must’ve missed Bryce Young in Dr. Pepper’s Fansville commercials. There have been many. And are you really not familiar with the various entities set up specifically for this where players are paid to solicit / generate funding for charities? It’s been prevalent throughout college football and basketball.

Then I guess the courts need to take a look at all professional leagues then
Even a few of the big name [Alabama for one] schools are complaining about NIL. Something needs to be done as young players don't have the experience to handle big money.

Reactions: midwolfe
Even a few of the big name [Alabama for one] schools are complaining about NIL. Something needs to be done as young players don't have the experience to handle big money.
If schools like Alabama are bitching about it, that must mean they're not getting an advantage from it.

I take that as good news for schools like IU.

Are you being serious with this argument?
Did you miss out on the dust up between Alabama and Texas AM a year ago. Remember Alabama, Clemson and others have old time coaches that don't like the change. I am using them as reasons to tweak the system, just pointing out some powerful schools have questions about how things are going with NIL.

Reactions: red hornet
Did you miss out on the dust up between Alabama and Texas AM a year ago. Remember Alabama, Clemson and others have old time coaches that don't like the change. I am using them as reasons to tweak the system, just pointing out some powerful schools have questions about how things are going with NIL.
The complaints were that NIL was being used as an inducement to attend a particular school, which is supposed to be against the rules. It wasn’t about NIL in general.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
The complaints were that NIL was being used as an inducement to attend a particular school, which is supposed to be against the rules. It wasn’t about NIL in general.
Well of course this was going to be the case. If they couldn't figure that out beforehand, they're dumber than a creek rock.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and baileyiu
Well of course this was going to be the case. If they couldn't figure that out beforehand, they're dumber than a creek rock.
Who is “they”? The right of student athletes to the proceeds generated by their NIL has been affirmed by the courts who, among other things, understand the hypocrisy presented by big time college sports.

Who is “they”? The right of student athletes to the proceeds generated by their NIL has been affirmed by the courts who, among other things, understand the hypocrisy presented by big time college sports.

Probably the NCAA. They threw their hands up after the court's decision because there is no way to prevent the pay to play (under the fake pretense of being NIL) that we are seeing now

Reactions: midwolfe
Probably the NCAA. They threw their hands up after the court's decision because there is no way to prevent the pay to play (under the fake pretense of being NIL) that we are seeing now
The impact NIL is the result of decades of hypocrisy by universities, as well as the regulator over whom they have total control (the NCAA). People complaining about this inevitability either weren’t paying attention or were active participants in that hypocrisy (or both), and the hypocrisy continues. Just wait until SA’s organize and demand a piece of the revenue pie. It’s inevitable.

The impact NIL is the result of decades of hypocrisy by universities, as well as the regulator over whom they have total control (the NCAA). People complaining about this inevitability either weren’t paying attention or were active participants in that hypocrisy (or both), and the hypocrisy continues. Just wait until SA’s organize and demand a piece of the revenue pie. It’s inevitable.
Not sure what the end goal will be...but we had no less than two coaches (from different schools) on our OV's state directly to us that they expect a player's association at some point fairly soon.

OK folks, this has gone from "Riles commits" to a debate over the pros and cons of NIL payments. Since this is the slowest time of year for football related info I have let it go but I'm going to lock this thread now and if someone wants to start a new thread, solely about NIL, have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT