ADVERTISEMENT

Riles commits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all get excited about the new guy, then the season comes and we are awful.
Hope springs eternal, but I am a pessimist for IU football.
Sorry. Somebody copy this and throw it at me when we are looking at win #6- and have one or two games left.

Reactions: bang63 and CC Mac
how can you tell ?

We all get excited about the new guy, then the season comes and we are awful.
Hope springs eternal, but I am a pessimist for IU football.
Sorry. Somebody copy this and throw it at me when we are looking at win #6- and have one or two games left.

Not sure I've ever seen a bad highlight film
What exactly do you suggest we talk about during the offseason? Jesus, I just shared a new player who seems to have some promise.

With ever increasing coaching salaries, NIL, transfer portal, it's an uphill battle for teams to improve their status relative to their peers.

The only chance IU has to compete with teams on higher footing is to find coaches and players that perform above their expectations. Find people that the better teams have overlooked.

It is unlikely that we will get a lot of players that are highly ranked and get us all hyped up on expectations. The staff has to work extra hard finding those players that have the skill set and mentality that will lead them to surpass expectation.

So no, these players aren't guaranteed to be great or even good but they are sleepers that the staff has rolled the dice in hopes they have found a player to help them compete. lets hope the staff has a good eye for talent.

The crappy thing is even if we hit, then we have to be able to convince them to stay.

It is a shame the NIL, which was started for a good reason, has developed into a poor thing for college football and I think for football players. There were so many foreseeable issues the NCAA just ignore because they delayed so long to implement some NIL system. I hope the powers that be, college football, ADs, NCAA, etc come up with a plan that works better than what exist today. I am hoping the change in transfer rules after the first time gets made and changes all the wild west transfers into some semblance of stability.

It is a shame the NIL, which was started for a good reason, has developed into a poor thing for college football and I think for football players. There were so many foreseeable issues the NCAA just ignore because they delayed so long to implement some NIL system. I hope the powers that be, college football, ADs, NCAA, etc come up with a plan that works better than what exist today. I am hoping the change in transfer rules after the first time gets made and changes all the wild west transfers into some semblance of stability.

i strongly disagree an NIL system is a good thing.

if you do one there's no other way it can go, other than the direction it's gone in.

as it's gone isn't one possibly way it could have. it's the inevitable way.

i said as much day one.

i agree fball and bball players deserve some extra money on top of tuition room and board, but say $200-$300 wk, with all players on team getting the exact same amount, and all schools limited to the same max payout per player.

at the same time, all schools should have a coaches' salary cap as well. (just as legal as college sports has always been, and as any player caps, college or pro, have ever been).

if someone wants to start new pro leagues, go for it. sounds great. best of luck. and i mean that sincerely.

just don't hijack college sports as your vehicle to doing so.

Last edited:

if you do one there's no other way it can go, other than the direction it's gone in.

i said as much day one.

i agree fball and bball players deserve some extra money on top of tuition room and board, but say $200-$300 wk, with all players on team getting the exact same amount, and all schools limited to the same max payout per player.

at the same time, all schools should have a coaches' salary cap as well. (just as legal as college sports has always been, and as any player caps, college or pro, have ever been).

if someone wants to start new pro leagues, go for it. sounds great. best of luck. and i mean that sincerely.

just don't hijack college sports as your shortcut to doing so.

I agree there should be a cap on coaching salaries. It's ridiculous how fast salaries have skyrocketed and I think was the main reason players felt it was unfair.

Player pay should be the same at every school. The only issue is how to ensure compliance. I am guessing players would go back to being paid under the table unfortunately.

Reactions: vesuvius13

i said as much day one.

Why should there be a cap on what players or coaches can earn? Why should there be equity, especially when relative value can vary significantly?

Why should there be a cap on what players or coaches can earn? Why should there be equity, especially when relative value can vary significantly?

Excessive salaries also put upward pressure on ticket prices and/or need for donations to get good tickets. It's pricing out poor and some middle class families just so schools can keep up with the Joneses in salaries.

It's about as crazy as taxpayers paying for professional sport stadiums for billionaires.

Last edited:

i said as much day one.

In reality all that was done was bring what was being done by many (probably most) schools under the table out into the open... At least the have nots now know exactly where they stand and what they need to ante up if they want to compete with the big names..., if more players gain from this system then that's a great thing... This way they don't have to sweat out worrying about whether an obscure 2nd cousin is handling their money well in an offshore account and in their best interests... (that's still a potential problem but at least now there's transparency and recourses available)...

As far as coaching salaries go, if the schools couldn't afford it they wouldn't pay out those numbers... Competition, Results, Supply and Demand... Those that don't like this system are free to move to Beijing...

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
Why should all NFL and NBA teams be subject to a cap?

Maybe because people want teams to be somewhat fair.
Fair? Should all stadiums be the same size so that no home field is advantageous over another? Should the third string O linemen be paid the same as the starting quarterback? Should ticket prices be uniform, regardless of demand?

Excessive salaries also put upward pressure on ticket prices and/or need for donations to get good tickets. It's pricing out poor and some middle class families just so schools can keep up with the Joneses in salaries.

It's about as crazy as taxpayers paying for sport stadiums for billionaires.
Taxpayers don’t pay for college athletics.

Fair? Should all stadiums be the same size so that no home field is advantageous over another? Should the third string O linemen be paid the same as the starting quarterback? Should ticket prices be uniform, regardless of demand?

You're just being argumentative. Equal pay would be MORE fair.

Equal pay for unequal performance is fair? Why would you support that?

I would support some competitive balance (as would many fans). Schools could get a cap just like the NBA/NFL and divvy it up based on performance.

College sports is nothing more than a professional minor league. It seems you think college players should get all the perks of being professional athletes without any of the limitations that are in place for NBA/NFL.

1) College players don't get drafted like professional players
2) College players aren't subjected to salary caps like professional players

There will be a lot of people that just move to watching professional sports at the current direction being taken. At least they have some rules in trying to maintain a competitive balance.

I would support some competitive balance (as would many fans). Schools could get a cap just like the NBA/NFL and divvy it up based on performance.

College sports is nothing more than a professional minor league. It seems you think college players should get all the perks of being professional athletes without any of the limitations that are in place for NBA/NFL.

1) College players don't get drafted like professional players
2) College players aren't subjected to salary caps like professional players

There will be a lot of people that just move to watching professional sports at the current direction being taken. At least they have some rules in trying to maintain a competitive balance.
There are a number of rules in place to maintain a competitive balance in college sports. Using NIL as a means of implementing salary / compensation restrictions isn’t the way to achieve competitive balance. If anything, it would create more litigation and a greater division between the haves and the have nots.

As for requiring players to share their NIL with those who don’t earn as much, the courts wouldn’t let that occur.

Reactions: jsenleo
There are a number of rules in place to maintain a competitive balance in college sports. Using NIL as a means of implementing salary / compensation restrictions isn’t the way to achieve competitive balance. If anything, it would create more litigation and a greater division between the haves and the have nots.

As for requiring players to share their NIL with those who don’t earn as much, the courts wouldn’t let that occur.
what are these rules you speak of?

What do you think the an who can earn millions does when you tell him he’s limited in what he can earn? What do you think the courts will say (they’ve already spoken, by the way)?
when you stop and think about it, how much does NIL effect a program like IU? it's much more of a factor for the big time FB factories. and personally i hope they eat each other alive over it.

What do you think the an who can earn millions does when you tell him he’s limited in what he can earn? What do you think the courts will say (they’ve already spoken, by the way)?
Then I guess the courts need to take a look at all professional leagues then

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT