ADVERTISEMENT

Rhyme or Reason to B1G baseball schedule?

iujumbo

Freshman
Dec 6, 2004
Just tossing this out in case someone has come across info I haven't been able to find. Does anyone understand why the B1G set up the baseball schedule the way it did?

Play some teams 3 times; other teams 6 times. No allowances for pre-conference or midweeks - despite the fact there are credible programs all around probably looking for games (heck, Cincinnati hit the road to Clemson last week to play). No conference tournament.

I'm sure the answer to most of the questions is COVID-19, but it seems like the conference can't be bothered to explain what it did, and IU certainly hasn't offered much insight.

On the surface, it feels like the B1G isn't doing its schools any favors with a schedule that's light on games and offers no opportunities for RPI-building wins. Again, maybe there are good reasons - just would like to hear them.

Also - anyone with ties to the program have any insight as to whether fans might be allowed at the Bart at some point this season?

So many questions, I know. Just excited about this team and for some baseball, and a little starved for media coverage of the boys of spring.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Conference only schedule, just like all other B1G sports this year. So in an effort to get as close to as many games as possible in during the regular season, there are some unusual numbers of games against certain opponents.

No fans.

iuhoosiers.com is a great resource.

Reactions: iujumbo
Appreciate the response. Was just wondering if much of anything had been said about WHY Big Ten only. Seems that COVID situation has progressed enough that midweeks could be held and there are no shortage of regional opponents for most B1G teams. Just feels like baseball is going to be at a disadvantage even more so than in typical year when compared to other leagues. Oh well, just excited to be able to root on the boys starting Friday.

And while I might *gently* quibble with iuhoosiers.com being a great resource (I would love more content on IU baseball from all sources - IU and external media), here is a long interview with Coach Mercer posted today:

Appreciate the response. Was just wondering if much of anything had been said about WHY Big Ten only. Seems that COVID situation has progressed enough that midweeks could be held and there are no shortage of regional opponents for most B1G teams. Just feels like baseball is going to be at a disadvantage even more so than in typical year when compared to other leagues. Oh well, just excited to be able to root on the boys starting Friday.

I'm sure it has to do with consistency of testing regiment among schools....knowing every school is following the same guidelines.

I see no legitimate reason why there can't be nonconference games, and they are important in getting teams ready for the conference season. To me, it seems they are saying that playing B1G teams is somehow safer from a pandemic standpoint than playing non-B1G teams. Anyway, we are jumping right into the conference by opening the season this Friday in Minneapolis with four games over the weekend against Minny and Rutgers (two games each), with two games on Friday and one each on Sat and Sun. Weather won't be a problem since they are playing in the U.S. Bank Stadium.

NOTES: Indiana Baseball Opens 2021 Season this Weekend - Indiana University Athletics (iuhoosiers.com)

I don't get it. If you're worried about Covid, why are they running multiple teams into Minneapolis for this weekend?

If I'm reading the schedule correctly, we're playing Minny and Rutgers who are in turn playing each other while Penn State and NW play each other a few times.

Same kind of thing happening at Fluor Field with OSU, Illinois, MSU and Maryland.

I don't get it. If you're worried about Covid, why are they running multiple teams into Minneapolis for this weekend?

If I'm reading the schedule correctly, we're playing Minny and Rutgers who are in turn playing each other while Penn State and NW play each other a few times.

Same kind of thing happening at Fluor Field with OSU, Illinois, MSU and Maryland.
I’ve harped on this for years, weather this time of year is not favorable. That’s why the locations this weekend were used. It’s an opportunity to play many games since the BIG is starting 2 weeks later than usual.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT