ADVERTISEMENT

"Revisiting" some rules

TDr12

Recruit
Apr 16, 2011
I'm just seeing a quote from Barry Alvarez about how if osu has to cancel another game the conference will have to "revisit" the rule stating a team has to play 6 games for B1G Championship game eligibility.

If they are going to revisit that rule, should they also reconsider the rule that states the East and West champions will play for the championship? What if IU beats Wisconsin this week and purdue next? Should the conference consider having the two highest ranked teams play for it instead? In an unprecedented year when it sounds like they'll "revisit" a rule, it seems to me they should consider that one as well.

There is always The Rule of Unintended Consequences, that applies in business, legislation and other areas of life. Just when you thought you fixed something to get a result or avoid a problem. something arises that you never considered. Or as I like to say every time you think you Idiot Proofed something, you discover that there is a bigger Idiot out there than you ever thought existed.
This has nothing to do with fairness. It has to do with Money. OSU is the only Big 10 team that has a chance to go to the Championship. If they don't play their last two games and don't play the Conference Championship game that chance all but disappears. No big Bowl Game money to be split among Conference Members.

If the Big 10 does something to try and bail out OSU, they lose credibility with many member Schools. Why should any of them pay attention to or comply with Conference mandated rules or pronouncements? Come get us and try to enforce your rules.

reconsider the rule that states the East and West champions will play for the championship? Should the conference consider having the two highest ranked teams play for it instead? In an unprecedented year when it sounds like they'll "revisit" a rule, it seems to me they should consider that one as well.

I love this argument. If the conference goal is to get OSU in the CFP, then just have them play the second best team in the conference - IU>

B1G leadership is a major fail this year.

I don't care what they call it, but the schedule the last week should be:

INDIANA vs. Northwestern
Ohio State vs. Wisconsin
Maryland vs. Iowa
Michigan vs. Nebraska
Michigan State vs. Purdue
Rutgers vs. Minnesota
Penn State vs. illinois

I don't think any of these teams have played each other, and it gives Ohio State the best win they could possibly get. Neither Wisconsin or Ohio State "qualified" so it's easy to match them up. A win is a win regardless, even if it's not for the "championship."

Also, the number of positive tests should drop as the other students leave campus I would suspect.

Last edited:
You don't know that for sure...but we do know for sure Wisconsin can't beat OSU either. The West is no where near the East and it shows in the B1G Championship game results.
I didn't dispute the fact we can't beat Ohio State, neither can anyone else in the conference. That wasn't the point anyway.

Your point was that Indiana would have zero chance to win the West, and that just isn't reality...the West is up for grabs whereas the East is dominated by OSU pretty much every year.

2014: 1-7 conference record and a loss to Rutgers. I think it's pretty safe to say Indiana is not (hypothetically) winning the B1G West this year.

2015: 2-6 record and another loss to Rutgers. Crossover game loss to Iowa.

2016: 4-5 record with two crossover losses to Northwestern and Nebraska.

2017: 2-7 record with crossover loses to Purdue and Wisconsin.

2018: 2-7 record with crossover losses to Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue.

2019: 5-4 record. I will admit, Indiana would've had a legit shot at winning the B1G West last year. That's assuming they could've beaten Wisconsin (unlikely), Iowa and/or Minnesota (both possible).

Last edited:
I have hated divisions since the league went to Legends/Leaders. Let the top 2 teams play the Conf Championship Game.

Here's how:

-8 game Conf schedule
-3 protected rivals each played annually
-yrs 1 and 2, home/road vs 5 schools
-yrs 3 and 4, home/road vs the other 5

This way you don't see the long 4-5 year gaps between playing someone. For instance, IU and Minnesota only played 3 times in 13 seasons ('08, '13 and '18). Stupid!! Also, IU went 4 years not playing the Illini ('13, '17) and had them dropped this yr due to shortage of games. Finally, Nebraska was in it's 6th year in the league before IU ever played them in '16.

2014: 1-7 conference record and a loss to Rutgers. I think it's pretty safe to say Indiana is not (hypothetically) winning the B1G West this year.

2015: 2-6 record and another loss to Rutgers. Crossover game loss to Iowa.

2016: 4-5 record with two crossover losses to Northwestern and Nebraska.

2017: 2-7 record with crossover loses to Purdue and Wisconsin.

2018: 2-7 record with crossover losses to Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue.

2019: 5-4 record. I will admit, Indiana would've had a legit shot at winning the B1G West last year. That's assuming they could've beaten Wisconsin (unlikely), Iowa and/or Minnesota (both possible).

And Wisconsin since 2014...you're 1 - 9 against the East big 3: OSU, PSU, UM. You'd likely be an annual middle-of-the-pack in the East.

And Wisconsin since 2014...you're 1 - 9 against the East big 3: OSU, PSU, UM. You'd likely be an annual middle-of-the-pack in the East.

To be accurate, Wisconsin won two games during that period (UM '17 & UM '19). FIVE of the combined nine losses all were against Ohio State. Annual middle of the pack? Nah, more like top two most years. Plus, let's face it - the East (outside of OSU) is no longer the stronger or more competitive division. In fact, it appears the overall strength and balance of the two divisions has tipped in favor of the West.

Last edited:
Well, at that winning % had you been in the East since 2014 you'd be 5 - 16 against those 3 alone, which would put you at 2.3 East division losses each season. Now average in MSU, an occasional cross-division loss and you'd be a 3-4 loss East team.
So let me ask since the West is now stronger than the East...would you trade IU places? Hmmm. Didn't think so.

Fuzzy math and conjecture is not going to win a hypothetical agrument. It's impossible for either of us to say what could or might happen. It's silly, actually. Let's just call a truce and hope for a good game on Saturday. And to answer your question, no I would not. To be quite honest, I wish we could do away with divisions all together. I'll have to run that past pseudo-commissioner Alverez next time I run into him.

Fuzzy math and conjecture is not going to win a hypothetical agrument. It's impossible for either of us to say what could or might happen. It's silly, actually. Let's just call a truce and hope for a good game on Saturday. And to answer your question, no I would not. To be quite honest, I wish we could do away with divisions all together. I'll have to run that past pseudo-commissioner Alverez next time I run into him.

Truth will be told on Sat at 3Pm. Good Luck

To be accurate, Wisconsin won two games during that period (UM '17 & UM '19). FIVE of the combined nine losses all were against Ohio State. Annual middle of the pack? Nah, more like top two most years. Plus, let's face it - the East (outside of OSU) is no longer the stronger or more competitive division. In fact, it appears the overall strength and balance of the two divisions has tipped in favor of the West.

I will have some of whatever you are smoking. Delusional.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I will have some of whatever you are smoking. Delusional.
Why not make a counterargument if you think I'm being "delusional"? I'd respect your thoughts and opinion (even if I disagreed) so much more than a lazy flyby remark like that.

Why not make a counterargument if you think I'm being "delusional"? I'd respect your thoughts, even if I disagreed with them, so much more than a lazy flyby remark like that.

You are making the incorrect assumption that I have interest in wasting my time on a circular debate with an obvious hyper-partisan. Think whatever you want to think.

So the old hit and run, drive by graffiti is more your style? Nice! I'll be sure not to attempt discussing politics with you [sigh].

I don't care what they call it, but the schedule the last week should be:

INDIANA vs. Northwestern
Ohio State vs. Wisconsin
Maryland vs. Iowa
Michigan vs. Nebraska
Michigan State vs. Purdue
Rutgers vs. Minnesota
Penn State vs. illinois

I don't think any of these teams have played each other, and it gives Ohio State the best win they could possibly get. Neither Wisconsin or Ohio State "qualified" so it's easy to match them up. A win is a win regardless, even if it's not for the "championship."

Also, the number of positive tests should drop as the other students leave campus I would suspect.

Agree 100% that this is how it should happen.

Just say there was no BT champion this year.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
LetsGoRed, make sure you show him my schedule plan above without divisions when you see him. And give me some attribution too.

Do they still have Butch's Bologna Bash after the spring game up there? I attended 3 of them in the 90s. Was also a big fan of the Brat and Brau, which I know is long gone. Love Madison. Haven't been up much since kids.

I will do that, 4IUSox2 🤣

Butch's Bologna Bash came to an unfortunate end in 2002, after 30 years. Sadly, we lost Palmer “Butch” Strickler four years ago at the age of 79. Thank you for helping invoke many wonderful memories of that amazing event. You'll have to get back up here again sometime! Good luck tomorrow.

Reactions: TDr12 and 4IUSox2
I have hated divisions since the league went to Legends/Leaders. Let the top 2 teams play the Conf Championship Game.

Here's how:

-8 game Conf schedule
-3 protected rivals each played annually
-yrs 1 and 2, home/road vs 5 schools
-yrs 3 and 4, home/road vs the other 5

This way you don't see the long 4-5 year gaps between playing someone. For instance, IU and Minnesota only played 3 times in 13 seasons ('08, '13 and '18). Stupid!! Also, IU went 4 years not playing the Illini ('13, '17) and had them dropped this yr due to shortage of games. Finally, Nebraska was in it's 6th year in the league before IU ever played them in '16.
But if we had played Nebraska we wouldn't have been able to play Ball State or Southern Illinois. Win or lose I am so happy that those crappy scheduling years are behind us.

I am Just talking BT portion of schedule. In a regular year, teams can still schedule their 4 OOC games as they want. Also gives schools more opportunity to schedule 1 or 2 big boys OOC if they want to go that route. Every team is going to still schedule a couple cupcakes every September. Look for Ball St, SIU et al to still occasionally be on IU's and other BT teams schedules. The days of losing to them both are hopefully over though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT