ADVERTISEMENT

Returning Starters

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
Just for fun (and because there hasn't been much new activity around here for awhile), let's discuss returners and what positions need filled by newcomers or former bench guys.

LF - Dunham (thinking he'll have a monster year)
RF - Richardson (similar to Dunham - should be a lot more comfortable, confident in year 2)
3B - Barr (cut down on Ks and get average up even if HRs go down)
SS - Houston (could be a real key to offense next year)
2B - Ashley (if we find a new CF)

That's a good every day core.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CF - We've been spoiled by Kaletha and Gorski the last 2 years, need a defensive stud (Van Pelt?)
1B - Need a slugger here (Skrine?)
C - Defense first, then power hitter
SP - Plenty of options on current roster (Bierman, Manous, Sommer, Scott)
RP - Any of these could be SP depending how they mature (Sloan, Franklin, Krueger, Long, Busald, Brown)

Good options here too.

Did I count 21 newcomers on the way? How the heck are they going to make room for all these guys? Need to find some solid contributors and it sounds like there are some very solid prospects coming in (Vecrumba, Hacker, Combs, Sharp).

http://iubase.com/2019-hoosier-baseball-verbal-commits/

Reactions: jb17
I believe Vercrumba will be in the outfield day one. He can hit,throw and run and is a huge guy that can run fast(.covers ground). He could possibly make 1st team all freshman BIG TEN.

Reactions: mk23
I believe Vercrumba will be in the outfield day one. He can hit,throw and run and is a huge guy that can run fast(.covers ground). He could possibly make 1st team all freshman BIG TEN.
Yeah, when I first saw Vecrumba in the online coverage of the 3A championship game, he was a real physical presence and looked like a man among boys. It's a big jump from high school ball to the college level, so it's clearly a wait and see situation with him, but I can sure see him as the next big power hitter for IU.

It would be wise to start Vercrumba’s development from day one. The bat is very pull side with plus power currently, almost took Doolin (Vanderbilt) yard in that 3a championship game. At this level he will have to use the big part of the field more, and he certainly has the power to drive it the other way if he doesn’t try to pull the ball to the power side. His speed will certainly play in CF, id like to see how his first step looks at this level.

Simple fact, if you want to recruit toolsy elite level players, you better start the development early. Dunham, Vercrumba, and Richardson should be the projected guys in the OF even before fall camp starts.

Reactions: mk23
That’s an intriguing starting OF - it will be fun to c the guys compete everywhere- seems like it’s wide open - let the competition begin - has schedule been published yet...?

It would be wise to start Vercrumba’s development from day one. The bat is very pull side with plus power currently, almost took Doolin (Vanderbilt) yard in that 3a championship game. At this level he will have to use the big part of the field more, and he certainly has the power to drive it the other way if he doesn’t try to pull the ball to the power side. His speed will certainly play in CF, id like to see how his first step looks at this level.

Simple fact, if you want to recruit toolsy elite level players, you better start the development early. Dunham, Vercrumba, and Richardson should be the projected guys in the OF even before fall camp starts.
I really like that outfield - in the field and at the plate. Richardson should be much improved at the plate after doing a fine job in the field last year. Dunham is hell-bent on bettering his draft stock after emerging as a real leader last year (played like sissies comment), and V needs to prove his next contract offer adds another digit to the $600k he declined.

Infield seems pretty solid with returners. Need a slugging 1B and C and we're all set for everyday players. Pitching is going to tell the tale of 2020.

I really like that outfield - in the field and at the plate. Richardson should be much improved at the plate after doing a fine job in the field last year. Dunham is hell-bent on bettering his draft stock after emerging as a real leader last year (played like sissies comment), and V needs to prove his next contract offer adds another digit to the $600k he declined.

Infield seems pretty solid with returners. Need a slugging 1B and C and we're all set for everyday players. Pitching is going to tell the tale of 2020.
Richardson misplayed a lot of balls last year! His D needs to improve a bunch

Richardson misplayed a lot of balls last year! His D needs to improve a bunch
And I wasn't impressed at all with his arm, for RF. I recall one play where I thought they had a shot at getting the runner at 2nd trying to stretch it into a double, and the throw made it half way there. I was like, seriously???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT