ADVERTISEMENT

Restoring trust in politics

what an interesting concept! Listening to what ordinary citizens are concerned about as opposed to what people who give the biggest campaign donations are concerned about.

what an interesting concept! Listening to what ordinary citizens are concerned about as opposed to what people who give the biggest campaign donations are concerned about.

If that’s what you got out of that then you clearly did not bother to watch the entire video or did not grasp its content.

And what are you compensating for by increasing the size of your text? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There won't be trust in politics until McConnell, Graham and the crooks in Congress that supported Texas AG's attempt to trample our democracy are gone.

I had read about "lottocracy" before the election. The idea is to select random people to serve on a three-year single-issue governing boards. https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/03/...-choose-our-political-leaders-by-lottery.html

I wonder, could a group of random Americans not worried at all about re-election or being hired as lobbyists sit down and solve Social Security? I don't know that it could work worse than what we have.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
At the very least, I would put term limits on senate and house.

A group of random amercians not beholden to anyone would be an interesting idea. Would probably require background checks and probably an IQ test.

Reactions: sglowrider
I had read about "lottocracy" before the election. The idea is to select random people to serve on a three-year single-issue governing boards. https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/03/...-choose-our-political-leaders-by-lottery.html

I wonder, could a group of random Americans not worried at all about re-election or being hired as lobbyists sit down and solve Social Security? I don't know that it could work worse than what we have.
I like this idea. I think treating elected office like a heightened version of jury duty has some merit. It's a situation where you temporarily leave your job as a lawyer, farmer, accountant, etc, serve your term and then go back to your job. It would seem that having to go back to your 'real life, everyday' peers probably builds in a level of accountability.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Not exactly the same thing, but the ACA authorized an Independent Payment Advisory Board that could enact changes to Medicare that could only be stopped by a Congressional super-majority. The idea was to de-politicize Medicare payment cuts necessary to keep the program solvent by turning those decisions over to an independent body of experts.

The IPAB authority would be triggered when the rate of Medicare spending exceeded a target factor. But Congress became nervous about ceding this power after the trigger was nearly met, and eliminated the IPAB authority in 2018.

I can't see eliminating elections, but carving out more issues for independent policy development makes a lot of sense. Congress needs to do less micro-management.

Citizens putting aside allegiance to a political party and working together to solve common community problems isn't what I would call restoring trust in politics.

In my view, our founders hoped our system of government would be like the one suggested in the video whereby ordinary citizens would be elected to solve problems common to all.

They feared political parties with those elected forming opposing groups would evolve. Their fears transpired into reality rather quickly.

The more recent problem associated with having political parties is that they accentuate an electorate which is divided.

So, are the politicians too divided along party lines, or are the ordinary citizens who elect them too divided, or what?

Finally, which is the greater looming problem? A loss in trust of politics, or a loss of faith in democracy. Foes of democracy such as Russia and China hope democracy's days are numbered.

Reactions: Fro and stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT