ADVERTISEMENT

Response to Barry Alvarez

cd_hoosiers

Junior
Sep 19, 2001
Barry...

Good day sir, let's talk B1G football...big game Saturday, huh? Imagine that. I recall your first win against Bill Mallory's Hoosiers. I was there. At that time in history we were accustomed to winning games against Wisconsin. You've established a great program.

In 2020 your Badgers have played half as many games as IU. That means half the reps, half the potential injuries, half the wear and tear, half the travel effort/expense, and half the covid risk. Goofy but OSU has played two-thirds of the games IU has played. The Hoosiers are preparing and playing hard each and every week.

Yet you don't hear IU ADs and Coaches asking to change the rules, even as they prepare to play their third opponent in a row coming off a bye week.

It is known that no B1G team can control their schedule, or opponents. Yet we might consider that covid played a factor with some of these cancellations because of discipline, or lack-of...which is also a part of the game. Just like turnovers, it's no accident that Tom Allen's guys are committed 110% and deserve whatever accomplishments they earn. Period.

Changing the rules mid-season as you advocate would be wrong in many ways. It would send a message to the world about B1G institutions, and it likely wouldn't be positive.

You can't say that OSU wouldn't have lost both their canceled games...you can't. But you can say without pause that Indiana is the leading East team that has qualified to play in the championship game at this point.

What looks better, 7-1 or 4-0? Because that is a distinct possibility. That said, if the game results for IU and OSO were swapped would we be having this 'change the rules' discussion? I would bet the dairy farm the answer is no.

If Indiana were to play in the B1G Championship then you should consider swallowing your ego and dealing with it. Because Indiana would do so based on agreed-upon rules and on-field results. That is how sport is supposed to operate.

And we would welcome you to join us to celebrate one of the B1G-est Cinderella stories of all time...Indiana?? Right???

LEO

You make some good points. From the Ohio State sideline I would say that they were four touchdowns up shortly after halftime and took their foot off the gas. From the Indiana sideline I say they were down four touchdowns and did not give up. The truth is probably somewhere in between. Right now the only thing that matters is the game against Wisconsin. And then come late Saturday afternoon the only thing that matters is the game against Purdue. Whether the Hoosiers win out or lose out they have captured the country's imagination. It has been and still is a great ride.

Last edited:
This is a great ride for IUFB and it will continue to keep going on with this team. It has been fun to watch the games, beating the "big" boys, playing OSU tough when IU could have folded, and seeing the defense create so many take-aways. IU winning out will make this season special in IU history and set up things for next year where IU will be favored in games seeing how the team handles that scenario.

Not sure where I sit on all of this BUT I will say that Indiana would've beaten Ohio State if they just had about 1.5-2 minutes left on the clock. Indiana would've marched down the field and scored the TD, then converted the 2pt conversion....That would've happened, but we ran out of time.

I understand the frustration from the IU perspective because it's you who stands to get screwed here. I'd probably feel the same.

O$U is the conference's only realistic shot for the CFP. You can talk about the unfairness and the perverse incentives of the CFP system, but this is the current reality. That is $ for everyone in the B1G - $ that could help make up for revenue losses due to COVID.

While not popular, he's right to put it on the table for discussion. I thought about why Kevin Warren didn't do this instead of Alvarez, and I think it's because he is trying not to be seen as the Buckeyes' puppet. Alvarez made sense to be the messenger.

I think IU in the B1G title game seems a bit cheap. I want them there as much as the next guy and will bask in the glory of winning that game if we do it. With that said, Ohio State proved to be the better team, we know it, they know it, the world knows it. My preference would be to maintain OSU in the playoff and if that helps get them there, we benefit (financially) from that happening as opposed to not happening. To that, it frees up a NY6 bowl game you know OSU would get in front of us anyways.

I understand the frustration from the IU perspective because it's you who stands to get screwed here. I'd probably feel the same.

O$U is the conference's only realistic shot for the CFP. You can talk about the unfairness and the perverse incentives of the CFP system, but this is the current reality. That is $ for everyone in the B1G - $ that could help make up for revenue losses due to COVID.

While not popular, he's right to put it on the table for discussion. I thought about why Kevin Warren didn't do this instead of Alvarez, and I think it's because he is trying not to be seen as the Buckeyes' puppet. Alvarez made sense to be the messenger.

Little late for Warren to worry about being seen as an Alvarez puppet... Barry could take that ventriloquist routine on HBO at this point and compete with the greats...🙄

I think IU in the B1G title game seems a bit cheap. I want them there as much as the next guy and will bask in the glory of winning that game if we do it. With that said, Ohio State proved to be the better team, we know it, they know it, the world knows it. My preference would be to maintain OSU in the playoff and if that helps get them there, we benefit (financially) from that happening as opposed to not happening. To that, it frees up a NY6 bowl game you know OSU would get in front of us anyways.
I disagree. As the original poster said, we stayed on the field. They didn't. Three of our opponents, including Ohio State and now Wisconsin, played/play us following a bye week. We had no such luxury.

And screw not only Alvarez but the CFP committee for even considering a team that has played only a handful of games. What a joke.

I disagree. As the original poster said, we stayed on the field. They didn't. Three of our opponents, including Ohio State and now Wisconsin, played/play us following a bye week. We had no such luxury.

And screw not only Alvarez but the CFP committee for even considering a team that has played only a handful of games. What a joke.
IU has gone through the gauntlet this season and nothing makes getting to the B1G Championship cheap.

Screw Barry "Change the Rules" Alvarez. So sick of this bullsh*t. I hope it gives our guys additional motivation to kick some Badger ass tomorrow.

Sounds like good locker room wall material...Alvarez says "IU not worthy to play for BIG title"

problem is nine out of ten current players in the BIG have no idea who Fat Barry is.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
Barry...

Good day sir, let's talk B1G football...big game Saturday, huh? Imagine that. I recall your first win against Bill Mallory's Hoosiers. I was there. At that time in history we were accustomed to winning games against Wisconsin. You've established a great program.

In 2020 your Badgers have played half as many games as IU. That means half the reps, half the potential injuries, half the wear and tear, half the travel effort/expense, and half the covid risk. Goofy but OSU has played two-thirds of the games IU has played. The Hoosiers are preparing and playing hard each and every week.

Yet you don't hear IU ADs and Coaches asking to change the rules, even as they prepare to play their third opponent in a row coming off a bye week.

It is known that no B1G team can control their schedule, or opponents. Yet we might consider that covid played a factor with some of these cancellations because of discipline, or lack-of...which is also a part of the game. Just like turnovers, it's no accident that Tom Allen's guys are committed 110% and deserve whatever accomplishments they earn. Period.

Changing the rules mid-season as you advocate would be wrong in many ways. It would send a message to the world about B1G institutions, and it likely wouldn't be positive.

You can't say that OSU wouldn't have lost both their canceled games...you can't. But you can say without pause that Indiana is the leading East team that has qualified to play in the championship game at this point.

What looks better, 7-1 or 4-0? Because that is a distinct possibility. That said, if the game results for IU and OSO were swapped would we be having this 'change the rules' discussion? I would bet the dairy farm the answer is no.

If Indiana were to play in the B1G Championship then you should consider swallowing your ego and dealing with it. Because Indiana would do so based on agreed-upon rules and on-field results. That is how sport is supposed to operate.

And we would welcome you to join us to celebrate one of the B1G-est Cinderella stories of all time...Indiana?? Right???

LEO
Feel free to mail to Alvarez and Herbstreit

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who says OSU is the better team. We lost by 7 and had the ball for a final drive. We fumbled twice in the red zone and gave a pick 6.
What if it were a best of 5 series like baseball?

That's great reasoning - if you're a whore.

Reactions: BaxterIU
I don't see how it's cheap at all. We didn't make up the rules before the season started. But we have abided by them.

It's not our fault O$U and other Big Ten schools can't keep their players out of the clubs.

If O$U doesn't play 6 games, no way in hell they deserve to play in the championship game.

So much silliness.
No, what is truly silly is waiting so long to start a season because, “we want to get it right”. Then the Big Ten in their high and mighty “Barry”way lays out a plan , in detail, about how this season will go. Now, because they aren’t getting the result they want, well , we are just going to have to “revisit” our rules. It is an absolute joke.

The moment you associated the word class with Iowa fans, you lost all credibility. 😄

Good luck today!

Last edited:
Oh, lighten up and try to show some manners.
no leave you Wisconson
The moment you associated the word class with Iowa fans, you lost all credibility. 😄

Good luck today!
Your team and Ohio State are so full of people who think they are entitled that you can't even keep your people well. Follow the rules or don't play the season

I like Paul Christ as a coach. Good guy.....but I don’t know what it is about this video but he seems like he is either stunned or has the effects of something going on mentally. This is a bit painful to watch as he tries to string together answers.

Thanks for posting this BRB. You are right, I think he is a good guy and a heck of a coach, but looks shell shocked.

For a while it felt like you had to pass an "asshole" test to be a Wisconsin coach with Big Burt and Bo Ryan. Chryst and Gard don't pass that test but are good coaches anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT