ADVERTISEMENT

Resolved: Tea Party supporters should stay away from the polls tomorrow!

Mas-sa-suta

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2003
No good purpose can be served by Tea Party supporters reinforcing claims that the impending Republican 'tidal wave' tomorrow is a matter of 'moderate' Republican candidates ridding the Party of the influence of Conservative purists.The dirty tricks branch of the main street Republican Party should be allowed to come home to roost.

Hmmm?
This post was edited on 11/3 1:09 PM by Mas-sa-suta

Under different circumstances, I might agree

It's the lesser of two evils, but never has the gap between the two evils been so large. We can't stand another two years of Reid, Pelosi, and our America-hating President running roughshod over the country. Obama makes even the Republican establishment seem palatable.

You kinda sound like an Obama Democrat

They live on dividing people into groups.

I'm more than a little sick and tired of hearing about "establishment" Republicans as if such Republicans are something less than the "Real Republicans." Republicans are Republicans. We don't see divisions of people. We agree on the big issues. The Tea Party did a number of good things, such as bringing the problems with the national debt to the front of the public policy line. But the Tea Party's notion that they have all the answers, that they must have their way, that everyone else in the GOP is unworthy of support, and that compromise is a dirty word has been highly destructive not only to the GOP but to the country. Think about this: If the Tea Party had not been so unyeilding with its politics, Harry Reid would be long gone and the GOP might even be in control of the United States Senate.

Where The Tea Party Has Candidates on The Ballot, I Encourage That Vote

But - for example - I'd hope that Tea Party folks here in Kentucky would vote for McConnell early and often.

Will Boehner survive as House Speaker...

...with more Tea Party types being elected to the House as is being predicted by some commentators?

I concur with that.

The Tea Party has been good in several ways, but this purist attitude some of them have (pure being whatever that particular Tea Partier thinks) is not helpful.

And you kinda sound like a former Democrat....

no offense...

In numerous primaries, to include Kentucky's Senate primary this year...Republicans have smeared other Republicans, utilized 'dirty tricks', bought the race card, and are now implicated in an eastern Kentucky vote-suppression scheme. In Thad Cochran's Mississippi primary, well over a $1Million war chest went to a Democrat-aligned activist group, targeted at African-American voters, who crossed over in the primary. Estimates are that over 40K Democrat voters voted for Cochran, disinfranchising Republican primary voters, who would not support Cochran. Cochran's scheme included funding support from McConnell, John Cornyn, Rob Portman, Bob Corker and Roy Blount..this according to 538 polling and election results.

Sorry if you don't convince me that this group of establishment politicians belong in control of the Senate...no matter how bad that body is now..
This post was edited on 11/3 4:01 PM by Mas-sa-suta

Situational purity?

Anything like situational ethics?

Don't we have plenty of that already?

Imma go grab some popcorn

This intra-party fighting after the Republicans win a majority in the Senate while holding the House will be entertaining, if not legislatively productive.

If you don't think that a Republican-controlled Congress is . . . .

better than a Democrat-controlled Congress, whether the Republicans are all "Tea Party approved" or not, than I can't help you.

I'm a former Democrat, but I don't see why you think that's a bad thing. Seems to me we should be looking to get a whole lot more former Democrats to support Republicans. That would mean there are fewer Democrats.

McConnell Has Gained In The Last Week

But he's a Republican and a Republican is never "safe" in Kentucky.

The media in Louisville and Lexington are trying to help Grimes.

She doesn't seem to be getting traction back.

The refusal to say she voted for Obama hurt her bad, and so did the "family restaurant pays $2.13 plus tips" ad.

She has come off like a lightweight.

"Send me to Washington and I'll make the Republicans and Democrats stop being partisan and do what's right for the country."

Riiiight.

On the face...it sounds good......

The House is Republican-controlled, for four years now..thanks to Tea Party ground game,.yet the House leadership was repeatedly out-maneuvered and out-balled 'in the field' so to speak...Time after time, Boehner and Cantor, et. al. would make a big show of one issue or the other, and time after time, when it came to nut-cuttin' time, they folded up like a cheap card table..

..Cantor was fired by his electorate in May.....leading up the stunts pulled by Cochrane, McConnell , Karl Rove, the NRSCC and others to protect their flanks from conservative candidates in the primaries like happened in Virginia..

I have little confidence that McConnell will be any better than his contemporaries in the other chamber..

If I recall, you finally switched parties due to the overwhelming negatives towards the party you supported, not necessarily the positives of your new party....if so, I share your lack of enthusiasm ..

Re: McConnell Has Gained In The Last Week

As much as people on here and national websites try to paint KY as a red state, the voter registration when I looked it up a year or 2 ago was 57% D, 37% R (if I recall correctly), and the rest Independents. And yet the state has 2 Republican Senators, 5 of the 6 members of the House are R's, and Pres. Obama lost the state by 20+% in 2012.

Perhaps many people in the state have began voting Republican in the past few years and just haven't bothered to change their registration. But then again, Democrats still hold a majority of the state level offices and the KY House. The KY senate has a majority of Repubican members.

It sure seems to paint a picture of people that vote Democrat at the State and County level, but vote Republcan at the national level, for the most part.

Principles or power . . .

that is the question.

For most GOP folks that's a pretty easy question to answer. On the other than, getting those GOP folks to agree on which takes priority is nigh-on impossible, as some are dedicated to principles first and only, and others are dedicated to power and be damned what it takes to get it.

Yours is an interesting question, and it calls into question Ladoga's assessment of the likely Georgia run-off, when the Libertarian candidate goes home for the January voting. Will those same libertarians stay home then as you suggest?

I think Ladoga's right; the call of power will override the principles . . . .

She went to law school at American University.

That told me all I need to know about her. No one would go there unless they were a far left nutjob. It just seemed like the media was trying to make it seem like she had a shot.

I had an alternative.

You don't. It's either Republicans or nothing. You can attempt to change the party from within or you can spin your wheels and live with the worst alternative when the Democrats win national elections.

I totally agree.

That's one thing I'll give to Democrats is that they don't eat their own. Republicans do it all the time. They would have Senate seats in Indiana, Nevada, Delaware, etc. if not the Tea Party. Obamacare wouldn't have happened without the Tea Party.

Hold your horses there, Pod'ner. Both of my kids went to AU.

Although neither went to law school there. The Kid Down the Hall did graduate from Maurer. Don't let anybody tell you that's not a liberal law school.

I'll grant you that AU is a "liberal, eastern school.". My son made it through unscathed; the Liberal Princess, not so much.

The point is: I doubt AU made her (Grimes) a liberal. She was likely born with the affliction ....

I give her family credit, though, for a great restaurant name - Hugh Jass Burgers, or whatever it is.

You guys are a riot.

23% of Americans support the Tea Party. 27% specifically oppose it. Meanwhile, despite the President's unpopularity, the Democratic party is still slightly more popular than the Republican party, 45-43.

Perhaps you should spend more time trying to convince more Americans to agree with your fringe minority viewpoint, and less time trying to figure out how to game elections to put into power politicians who represent a political stance that the majority of the country doesn't support.

goat

"Establishment" Republicans in the 28th district State Rep race

..are going to throw it to a 25-year old kid - Micah Kamrass (D) - due to the loss by their boy in a close primary race. I voted for their candidate, but I'll certainly vote for Jonathan Dever, the primary victor. Several prominent Republicans in this part of northeastern Hamilton County, however, have endorsed the Democrat, which is totally beyond the pale. This could well result in a victory by a green-behind-the-ears law clerk whose only claim to fame is that he was once student body president at OSU.

The establishment certainly wants conservative/TEA Party support, but they aren't willing to reciprocate when their boy loses. So, in a fit of infantile pique, they've taken their balls - meager though they may be - and have decided to go home. I fart in their general direction ....

Tracon might have worked with Ulanda U. Lucky.

Good stuff there ...

We had a Knauf family in school. And, of course, one kid was named Jack. Why, why, why would you do that to a kid?

Refusing to say she voted for Obama

pi**es me as well. If I were a Kentucky voter, I might have voted for her opponent.
That was quite shallow of her. My support for her went down considerably.

Think I did, although you should know

that every Airplane landing in just a controlled crash.

Tea Party Republicans are a lot like Obama

they believe the government runs on speeches and indeology. Talk a good game, and then refuse to yield on your "principles" and you get good government. The Obama presidency has shown us how useful that is and the public doesn't like it. In the real world, government runs on compromise and negotiation. Without compromise and negotiation, we would still be a collection of former British, Spanish, and French colonies and not a country.

I can't get that link to open

which leaves me very confused as to all the names that follow!

ADVERTISEMENT