ADVERTISEMENT

Republican Georgia election official calls on Trump and GOP to stop inciting violence

I don't see them by default. But a simple click makes them available, if I desire to temporarily submit myself to such pain.
“I can't see Jet's posts, so I wasn't sure if I was a hot topic unknowingly.”

Weakness. Stick to your guns. Might make you a better lawyer that doesn’t need debt forgiveness...

So can you link to who was killed? You and jet both seem to believe that political violence just started this past summer in the aftermath of George Floyd being killed. So we know that the BLM movement was basically spawned originally over the killing of Trayvon Martin, and it reached a crescendo after Brianna Taylor and George Floyd. So that takes care of summer 2020...

So what precipitated earlier political violence- like Gabbie Giffords, Dylan Roof, Heather Heyer, Crusius, Bowers, and countless others? All of them involved actual murders and occurred prior to people even knowing who Taylor and Floyd were. Yet you still give us the tired rhetoric of people being killed this summer, without bothering to actually name any names. I know a Black police chief was shot by a looter in KC, but even that pales in comparison to the right-wing kook who deliberately assassinated 2 LEO's in CA after stalking and ambushing them...

You guys love to play the "bosides game", but it's hard for sensible people to take you seriously when you try and maintain what happened this summer is somehow more egregious than all of the violence of the past decade that preceded it. So other than a common criminal who killed a single cop, exactly what other killings are you pointing to? The only other people who were killed were protestors in places like Omaha, Kenosha, Portland, etc...

and your Yabut game is elite.

I never made a comparison of egregiousness of the killings. If you want to respond to my posts please respond to what I actually posted. This is an ongoing problem you have.

Well, you do realize you hang out
and your Yabut game is elite.

I never made a comparison of egregiousness of the killings. If you want to respond to my posts please respond to what I actually posted. This is an ongoing problem you have.

"Well, you do realize you hang out here with a lot of people who are willing to look the other way when people are beaten, killed and their businesses burned...when it is "their jersey" doing the burning."

I asked you to list who was KILLED, since you are so fond of throwing that in there...

So enlighten us, are you or are you not implying in your statement that the people you accuse of rioting KILLED people? I know of two people who you could claim were killed by "rioters"- David Dorn, the retired St Louis police Captain who was shot by a looter, and Aaron Danielson the pro-Trump Patriot Prayer member who was killed by an Antifa supporter during a confrontation in Portland. The shooter was later killed by Federal Marshalls...

So are there any others, who you want to include in the list of "killed", when you are referring to the violence you want to (seemingly) blame exclusively on the left? I've never seen you in one of these "riot themed" posts ever take people to task for violence perpetrated against peaceful protestors. So I'm curious as to why YOU are not guilty (in your mind) of the same "looking the other way" you're readily willing to accuse others of?

Do you want to compare how many people within the ranks of protestors were KILLED, vs how many people were beaten and KILLED by "rioters"? Should we break it down into who was killed by people on the Left vs who was killed by people on the Right? How many shootings by people on the Right, and how many people run down by vehicles?

My issue is with your use of the word KILLED, so let's restrict it to that criteria. I've listed the two I know who were (loosely) victims of Left-wing violence. I'm asking you to point out the others I've missed since you chose to (IMHO) imply that the Left is solely responsible...

Probably the most politically driven murder that I'm aware of is Boogie Boy AF Sgt Steven Carrillo ambushing and shooting a Federal Security Office in Oakland and also a Sherrif's Deputy in Santa Cruz.

Rittenhouse killing two unarmed men in Kenosha

Omaha bar owner Jake Gardner shooting protestor James Scurlock after Gardner fired two shots in the air and Scurlock tried to tackle him and disarm him. A Grand Jury indicted Gardner and he later committed suicide

"Jake Gardner, 38, of Omaha, is charged with manslaughter, attempted first-degree assault, making terroristic threats and weapons use in the May 30 slaying of 22-year-old James Scurlock."

Btw, that shooting occurred on May 30, long before any violence was associated with the protests, and long before anyone else was killed...

Then there are the deliberate attempts to run over people with vehicles, popularized initially by Islamic State and utilized by James Fields at Charlottesville.

"There have been at least 104 incidents of people driving vehicles into protests from May 27 through Sept. 5, including 96 by civilians and eight by police, according to Ari Weil, a terrorism researcher at the University of Chicago's Project on Security and Threats who spoke with USA TODAY this summer. Weil began tracking the incidents as protests sprung up in the wake of George Floyd's death in police custody.

There have been at least two fatalities, in Seattle and in Bakersfield, California.

At least 43 incidents malicious and 39 drivers charged
Weil said that by analyzing news coverage, court documents and patterns of behavior – such as when people allegedly yelled slurs at protesters or turned around for a second hit – he determined that at least 43 of the incidents were malicious, and 39 drivers have been charged."

As usual - I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. If you’re saying that you agree with Hickory that Bush was responsible for the 2008 subprime meltdown then you’re a nut.

What I'm saying is that YOU made a HYPERBOLIC comment, based on nothing but your opinion. I don't really come down on either side of this particular debate. But for you to somehow claim that your opinion which is opposed by many very educated people over the age of 25 is somehow revered by "everyone over the age of 25" is Trumpian-level nonsense...

Reactions: IU_Hickory
What I'm saying is that YOU made a HYPERBOLIC comment, based on nothing but your opinion. I don't really come down on either side of this particular debate. But for you to somehow claim that your opinion which is opposed by many very educated people over the age of 25 is somehow revered by "everyone over the age of 25" is Trumpian-level nonsense...
I’m sure you’ll be correcting your remora on this if my hyperbole isn’t needed, right Super partisan hack? Or is Bush responsible for the sub prime crisis?

Lin Wood is a guy who knows how to make money off of rubes
Lin Wood: "If Pence is arrested, Pompeo will save the election. Pence will be in jail awaiting trial for treason. He will face execution by firing squad. He is a coward & will sing like a bird & confess ALL."
Lin Wood is fried.

Lin Wood: "If Pence is arrested, Pompeo will save the election. Pence will be in jail awaiting trial for treason. He will face execution by firing squad. He is a coward & will sing like a bird & confess ALL."
Lin Wood is fried.

Lol.... guy is clearly having a mental breakdown.

Lin Wood is fried.

Damn, looks as if Mas was right!

The backstory of Trump’s Georgia call

Good morning from Atlanta, Gateway to the South and the pulsing center of Tuesday’s two U.S. Senate runoffs that will determine partisan control of the upper chamber and the success of Joe Biden’s first term as president. I’ve been covering the races from my home in neighboring Florida but will be here in Georgia as your Playbook guide through Wednesday.

On Sunday, politics here switched from a national fascination to an international spectacle, courtesy of — surprise! — President Donald Trump, who was secretly recorded trying to pressure Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to throw out votes for an opponent and “find” votes for himself. Trump was strangely quiet about the call on Twitter on Sunday as the news exploded online, but expect the president to trash his new GOP bête noire by name at his rally tonight in Dalton.

The story of the extraordinary call of a president pushing a top election official to rig the Georgia results was broken by the superb reporting of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Greg Bluestein and the Washington Post’s Amy Gardner, but the backstory is almost as interesting.

It started on Saturday when Trump and his team reached out to talk to Raffensperger, who, according to an adviser, felt he would be unethically pressured by the president. Raffensperger had been here before: In November he accused Trump ally and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham of improperly exhorting him to meddle in the election to help Trump win Georgia. Graham later denied it.

So why not record the call with the president, Raffensperger’s advisers thought, if nothing else for fact-checking purposes. “This is a man who has a history of reinventing history as it occurs,” one of them told Playbook. “So if he’s going to try to dispute anything on the call, it’s nice to have something like this, hard evidence, to dispute whatever he’s claiming about the secretary. Lindsey Graham asked us to throw out legally cast ballots. So yeah, after that call, we decided maybe we should do this.”

The call took place Saturday afternoon. “Mr. President,” announced Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, at the top of the call, “everyone is on the line.” Little did he know. Trump made his ask and did most of the talking for the next hour, trafficking in the same conspiracy theories about election fraud that no court or criminal investigator has found credible. At the end of the call, Trump complains, “What a schmuck I was.”

Raffensperger’s team kept quiet about the call and the recording and waited. The president made the next move, claiming on Sunday morning via Twitter that Raffensperger was “unwilling, or unable, to answer” questions about his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. “Respectfully, President Trump: What you're saying is not true,” Raffensperger replied at 10:27 a.m. “The truth will come out.” It wasn’t an empty promise.

This isn’t the first time that a call or his recorded comments have threatened Trump (see: Access Hollywood, Ukraine president).

“This phone call is bad,” Georgia conservative commentator Erick Erickson said on Twitter. We asked him to expand on that, and here’s what he added: “I think the general worry is that the GOP early vote actually came on strong [late] and there’s a real worry that the president shows up tomorrow and messes it all up. The North Georgia GOP has to turn out on Election Day. They’ve lagged the whole state. The President goes to Dalton tomorrow to get them out and now people are worried he spends his time attacking the GA GOP … There is real nervousness.”

Erickson and other Republicans have been concerned since November that the president’s voter fraud rhetoric will dampen turnout, a fear intensified by far-right activists who’ve suggested that Trump voters not go to the polls unless Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue fight harder to somehow cancel Biden’s Georgia win. Trump’s handling of a coronavirus relief package and his vetoing of a defense bill is another concern: Congress overrode the vote, but Perdue and Loeffler skipped out so they weren’t crosswise with Trump. Loeffler on Sunday avoided answering how she would’ve voted on the defense bill.

“Look, voters aren’t paying attention to all this stuff, people like us are,” one Georgia Republican strategist who’s working to elect Loeffler and Perdue told Playbook. “But at a certain point, all these little things that don’t look like they matter could matter. I still feel OK. But this doesn’t help. The president needs to cut out the Leeroy Jenkins s---. Unfortunately, he won’t.” Full transcript of the call with audio

Phone call leaked of Trump demanding Georgia official add votes:

Here is a distilling and fact check of the lies and distortions Trump made in that call. It would take pages to examine each lie individually, but let's look at the attempt by Trump to somehow discredit the US Attny in GA as a "never-Trumper"...

TRUMP, referring to investigations into his baseless claims of voter fraud: “You have your never-Trumper U.S. attorney there.”

THE FACTS: The U.S. attorney in Atlanta is actually a Trump appointee. Byung J. “BJay” Pak is a longtime Republican who also served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 2011 until 2017. He was nominated by Trump to become the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Georgia in 2017. In announcing his nomination, the White House said that Pak and five other nominees for U.S. attorney’s posts “share the president’s vision for ‘Making America Safe Again.’” Pak had previously also worked as an assistant U.S. attorney."

And then there's the claim about people returning to GA just to vote. He's making this claim to a GOP official who voted FOR Trump, and whose office INVESTIGATED all these alleged cases...

TRUMP, claiming thousands of voters moved out of Georgia, registered in another state, and then improperly cast ballots in Georgia: “They came back in, and they voted. That was a large number.”

THE FACTS: Not so. Trump supporters are working from a list of questionable accuracy, according to Ryan Germany, the general counsel for Raffensperger’s office. He told Trump during the call that the claims have been investigated and that in many cases, voters “moved back years ago. It’s not like it happened just before the election. There’s something about that data that it’s just not accurate.”

I'm guessing Raffensberger AND Germany both voted not only for Trump but also for Perdue and Loeffler as well...

Aside from the illegality and lack of ethics inherent in the call, the thing that once again stands out to me is Trump's vocabulary and syntax. He just sounds like a lower than normal intelligence level 5th grader...

Reactions: sglowrider
Here is a distilling and fact check of the lies and distortions Trump made in that call. It would take pages to examine each lie individually, but let's look at the attempt by Trump to somehow discredit the US Attny in GA as a "never-Trumper"...

TRUMP, referring to investigations into his baseless claims of voter fraud: “You have your never-Trumper U.S. attorney there.”

THE FACTS: The U.S. attorney in Atlanta is actually a Trump appointee. Byung J. “BJay” Pak is a longtime Republican who also served in the Georgia House of Representatives from 2011 until 2017. He was nominated by Trump to become the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Georgia in 2017. In announcing his nomination, the White House said that Pak and five other nominees for U.S. attorney’s posts “share the president’s vision for ‘Making America Safe Again.’” Pak had previously also worked as an assistant U.S. attorney."

And then there's the claim about people returning to GA just to vote. He's making this claim to a GOP official who voted FOR Trump, and whose office INVESTIGATED all these alleged cases...

TRUMP, claiming thousands of voters moved out of Georgia, registered in another state, and then improperly cast ballots in Georgia: “They came back in, and they voted. That was a large number.”

THE FACTS: Not so. Trump supporters are working from a list of questionable accuracy, according to Ryan Germany, the general counsel for Raffensperger’s office. He told Trump during the call that the claims have been investigated and that in many cases, voters “moved back years ago. It’s not like it happened just before the election. There’s something about that data that it’s just not accurate.”

I'm guessing Raffensberger AND Germany both voted not only for Trump but also for Perdue and Loeffler as well...

Aside from the illegality and lack of ethics inherent in the call, the thing that once again stands out to me is Trump's vocabulary and syntax. He just sounds like a lower than normal intelligence level 5th grader...
What stands out to me is that he literally thinks that his audience is first graders. That he can just dupe them into doing what he wants. Worked with about 74 million people.

what st
What stands out to me is that he literally thinks that his audience is first graders. That he can just dupe them into doing what he wants. Worked with about 74 million people.

What stands out to me is he knows his audience has the IQ of first graders. He can just dupe them into thinking whatever he wants (Example: Mas). Fortunately, some of his fellow Republicans have a spine and are not putting Trump before country. Unfortunately a lot of GOPers in Senate and House have no clue how to put country first.

The backstory of Trump’s Georgia call

Good morning from Atlanta, Gateway to the South and the pulsing center of Tuesday’s two U.S. Senate runoffs that will determine partisan control of the upper chamber and the success of Joe Biden’s first term as president. I’ve been covering the races from my home in neighboring Florida but will be here in Georgia as your Playbook guide through Wednesday.

On Sunday, politics here switched from a national fascination to an international spectacle, courtesy of — surprise! — President Donald Trump, who was secretly recorded trying to pressure Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to throw out votes for an opponent and “find” votes for himself. Trump was strangely quiet about the call on Twitter on Sunday as the news exploded online, but expect the president to trash his new GOP bête noire by name at his rally tonight in Dalton.

The story of the extraordinary call of a president pushing a top election official to rig the Georgia results was broken by the superb reporting of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Greg Bluestein and the Washington Post’s Amy Gardner, but the backstory is almost as interesting.

It started on Saturday when Trump and his team reached out to talk to Raffensperger, who, according to an adviser, felt he would be unethically pressured by the president. Raffensperger had been here before: In November he accused Trump ally and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham of improperly exhorting him to meddle in the election to help Trump win Georgia. Graham later denied it.

So why not record the call with the president, Raffensperger’s advisers thought, if nothing else for fact-checking purposes. “This is a man who has a history of reinventing history as it occurs,” one of them told Playbook. “So if he’s going to try to dispute anything on the call, it’s nice to have something like this, hard evidence, to dispute whatever he’s claiming about the secretary. Lindsey Graham asked us to throw out legally cast ballots. So yeah, after that call, we decided maybe we should do this.”

The call took place Saturday afternoon. “Mr. President,” announced Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, at the top of the call, “everyone is on the line.” Little did he know. Trump made his ask and did most of the talking for the next hour, trafficking in the same conspiracy theories about election fraud that no court or criminal investigator has found credible. At the end of the call, Trump complains, “What a schmuck I was.”

Raffensperger’s team kept quiet about the call and the recording and waited. The president made the next move, claiming on Sunday morning via Twitter that Raffensperger was “unwilling, or unable, to answer” questions about his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. “Respectfully, President Trump: What you're saying is not true,” Raffensperger replied at 10:27 a.m. “The truth will come out.” It wasn’t an empty promise.

This isn’t the first time that a call or his recorded comments have threatened Trump (see: Access Hollywood, Ukraine president).

“This phone call is bad,” Georgia conservative commentator Erick Erickson said on Twitter. We asked him to expand on that, and here’s what he added: “I think the general worry is that the GOP early vote actually came on strong [late] and there’s a real worry that the president shows up tomorrow and messes it all up. The North Georgia GOP has to turn out on Election Day. They’ve lagged the whole state. The President goes to Dalton tomorrow to get them out and now people are worried he spends his time attacking the GA GOP … There is real nervousness.”

Erickson and other Republicans have been concerned since November that the president’s voter fraud rhetoric will dampen turnout, a fear intensified by far-right activists who’ve suggested that Trump voters not go to the polls unless Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue fight harder to somehow cancel Biden’s Georgia win. Trump’s handling of a coronavirus relief package and his vetoing of a defense bill is another concern: Congress overrode the vote, but Perdue and Loeffler skipped out so they weren’t crosswise with Trump. Loeffler on Sunday avoided answering how she would’ve voted on the defense bill.

“Look, voters aren’t paying attention to all this stuff, people like us are,” one Georgia Republican strategist who’s working to elect Loeffler and Perdue told Playbook. “But at a certain point, all these little things that don’t look like they matter could matter. I still feel OK. But this doesn’t help. The president needs to cut out the Leeroy Jenkins s---. Unfortunately, he won’t.” Full transcript of the call with audio
The Hill: "Obama warns of threats to 'fundamental principles of our democracy' after Trump Georgia call"
He weaponized the IRS vs political opposition...

Of course everything he said in that video is spot on, but he’s asking the impossible of Trump whe he asks him to be the bigger man.

Please, Trump hasn’t come close to being the bigger man in anything in his life. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump is actively looking into having this guy sued and/or fired for giving this press conference.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
The Hill: "Obama warns of threats to 'fundamental principles of our democracy' after Trump Georgia call"
He weaponized the IRS vs political opposition...

No he didn't

Yet, Trump weaponized the Justice Department that was supposed to not be partisan.

ADVERTISEMENT