ADVERTISEMENT

Republican anti-vaxers are stalling US race to herd immunity

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001

From the Post:

“The focus group revealed another unexpected development: Most participants said they would want a fake vaccination cardthat would allow them to claim they had received shots, after Luntz granted them anonymity to speak honestly.”

“One-thousand percent,” one woman said. “If I have a fake vaccine card, yeah, I can go anywhere,” added a man who said he had turned down free New York Yankees tickets because of the team’s requirement to show proof of vaccination to attend games. Other participants said they wanted a fake card to attend concerts and go on trips, citing the growing number of organizations saying they will require proof of shots.”

Prepare to wear your masks for a lot longer fellas. Our fate is in the hands of morons.

Last edited:
In his annual address to the Russian people earlier today, Putin strongly encouraged all people to get the vaccine as soon as possible, saying, “It’s the only way we will reach herd immunity by fall”. He also announced a plan to combat global warming with specifics on how the Russian people can help.

This needs to get more play on Fox, Newsmax, Qanon, etc. The Trumper party loves them some Putin, but I’m not sure even his opinion or leadership could override their visceral need to do anything that doesn’t pwn the libs, or is just the right thing to do.

This needs to get more play on Fox, Newsmax, Qanon, etc. The Trumper party loves them some Putin, but I’m not sure even his opinion or leadership could override their visceral need to do anything that doesn’t pwn the libs, or is just the right thing to do.
I'm trying to imagine what these Neanderthals would be doing if Trump had won (and assuming Trump gave his big beautiful vaccine his blessing).

I'm trying to imagine what these Neanderthals would be doing if Trump had won (and assuming Trump gave his big beautiful vaccine his blessing).
I don’t think it’s all trumpers. As a parent of a grade schooler in an exceptionally liberal school with BLM drawn on the play ground there’s a bizarre phenomena of weird soccer moms that hate vaccines. We won’t get to herd immunity if same is predicated on enough folks getting vaccinated

They say trying to convince these people only makes them dig their heels in more. I guess we have to hope our vaccines work and let God sort out the rest. The problem is, the longer it goes, the more possible mutations we’ll get.

So, we’re in the hands of the uninformed. It’s pathetic.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
In his annual address to the Russian people earlier today, Putin strongly encouraged all people to get the vaccine as soon as possible, saying, “It’s the only way we will reach herd immunity by fall”. He also announced a plan to combat global warming with specifics on how the Russian people can help.

Putin to rally the Pubes how disgusting have they become

From the Post:

“The focus group revealed another unexpected development: Most participants said they would want a fake vaccination cardthat would allow them to claim they had received shots, after Luntz granted them anonymity to speak honestly.”

“One-thousand percent,” one woman said. “If I have a fake vaccine card, yeah, I can go anywhere,” added a man who said he had turned down free New York Yankees tickets because of the team’s requirement to show proof of vaccination to attend games. Other participants said they wanted a fake card to attend concerts and go on trips, citing the growing number of organizations saying they will require proof of shots.”

Prepare to wear your masks for a lot longer fellas. Our fate is in the hands of morons.

From the Post:

It's definitely right on brand.

It's a double edged sword of frustration.

There haven't been any solutions offered other than do nothing and let God figure it out.

On top of it they've been actively detrimental, prolonging the war with mis information and then bitching that were not back to normal.

I originally was against Vax cards but now I'm okay with it completely out of spite.

If it keeps Trumpicans from getting jobs and their kids from going to college....win win I guess as they eventually fall behind because they are far down the rabbit hole.

Hell my gf's dad refuses to watch any sports, refuses to drink coke and swore to me that he'd never let his daughters go to a school like Iowa.....all because of Trumpism.

I'm curious what kind of long term effects this current propaganda environment is going to have on our communities because I don't see it getting better.

Reactions: DrHoops
They went ape$hit on Ivanka for posting a selfie of her getting vaxed on Twitter.

I don’t think it’s all trumpers. As a parent of a grade schooler in an exceptionally liberal school with BLM drawn on the play ground there’s a bizarre phenomena of weird soccer moms that hate vaccines. We won’t get to herd immunity if same is predicated on enough folks getting vaccinated
Actually, you’re on to something here. I’ve come across an alarming number of young liberals and African Americans that will not get the vaccine. They just don’t trust it since it was approved so quickly.

IMO, a large segment of Republicans won’t get it just because the perception is that liberals are for it. Science should not be a political football on either side, especially during a pandemic.

Actually, you’re on to something here. I’ve come across an alarming number of young liberals and African Americans that will not get the vaccine. They just don’t trust it since it was approved so quickly.

IMO, a large segment of Republicans won’t get it just because the perception is that liberals are for it. Science should not be a political football on either side, especially during a pandemic.
for sure. it's hardly just trumpers. it's a wide swath of people. blacks have historically been inculcated to distrust vaccines (tuskegee).

I don’t think it’s all trumpers. As a parent of a grade schooler in an exceptionally liberal school with BLM drawn on the play ground there’s a bizarre phenomena of weird soccer moms that hate vaccines.
Understood. I've run into some of that from the Birkenstock wearing, granola munching old hippies here in the People's Republic.

In seeking herd immunity can you add those infected previously with those vaccinated?
Herd immunity includes all people who are immune. Technically it doesn't matter how one gained that immunity.

IIUC ( ping @outside shooter ), those who have been infected and recovered have some immunity but it's not as robust as that conferred by the vaccine. I believe that's due to the recovered patient being mostly immune to the specific variant he had, while the vaccine recipient has a more general immunity that protects against more of the variants. But don't hold me to that.

Herd immunity includes all people who are immune. Technically it doesn't matter how one gained that immunity.

IIUC ( ping @outside shooter ), those who have been infected and recovered have some immunity but it's not as robust as that conferred by the vaccine. I believe that's due to the recovered patient being mostly immune to the specific variant he had, while the vaccine recipient has a more general immunity that protects against more of the variants. But don't hold me to that.
So we have trumpers, granola types, psycho soccer moms, blacks, and some folks that just want to make sure it's safe and give it time. assuming you're right in what you write i'm not hopeful

From the Post:

It’s not only that but by the time the vaccine wears off we still won’t have reached hers immunity.

It's definitely not. We're tracking who's vaccinated or not at work because we do a ton of travel normally and it matters for domestic and international travel, and it's a mix. We have those that are pretty liberal or anti-Trump that don't trust it because it was developed so fast during the Trump administration and conservatives that aren't trusting it because of it's being pushed by liberals or something along those lines. We also have some African Americans, clearly Democrats and also highly educated (just about everyone I work with has at least one postgraduate degree so they're all highly educated), that don't trust it too. I'm fully vaccinated and I take every opportunity to encourage all of my personnel and everyone else at work to get vaccinated. It's still completely voluntary, but I also think that some that aren't taking it now are going to take it when they find out they can't travel to some nice country for business because they're not vaccinated.

It's still completely voluntary, but I also think that some that aren't taking it now are going to take it when they find out they can't travel to some nice country for business because they're not vaccinated.
As per the earlier post, there will be a lot of people claiming to be vaccinated and will provide bogus cards to prove it.

It's definitely not. We're tracking who's vaccinated or not at work because we do a ton of travel normally and it matters for domestic and international travel, and it's a mix. We have those that are pretty liberal or anti-Trump that don't trust it because it was developed so fast during the Trump administration and conservatives that aren't trusting it because of it's being pushed by liberals or something along those lines. We also have some African Americans, clearly Democrats and also highly educated (just about everyone I work with has at least one postgraduate degree so they're all highly educated), that don't trust it too. I'm fully vaccinated and I take every opportunity to encourage all of my personnel and everyone else at work to get vaccinated. It's still completely voluntary, but I also think that some that aren't taking it now are going to take it when they find out they can't travel to some nice country for business because they're not vaccinated.
That mirrors my anecdotal evidence. Lots of lawyers I know won’t take it bc they don’t trust the companies and speed it was developed

It’s not only that but by the time the vaccine wears off we still won’t have reached hers immunity.
How can anyone know how long the protection will be maintained? These vaccines have only existed for a few months.
Exactly! Moderna is already talking about a fall booster.
Pretty sure that's mostly to add protection for newer variants. BICBW.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Basically correct, with the addition that the vaccine intentionally prompts a higher level of neutralizing antibodies. Normal infection prompts antibodies too, but it is more of a hodgepodge, some effective, some not.

Reactions: UncleMark

There are polls in my link that show approximately 50% male Trump voters who won’t take the vaccine. It’s almost twice as many as Dems.

Your workplace is probably highly educated. Those are the people who look at the numbers and get the vaccine. If someone is getting their “news” from Tucker Carlson, you’re probably not going to be vaccinated.

Basically correct, with the addition that the vaccine intentionally prompts a higher level of neutralizing antibodies. Normal infection prompts antibodies too, but it is more of a hodgepodge, some effective, some not.
And the temporal part of all of this is unknown?

The head of IUs COVID response said today he thinks the herd immunity ship has sailed. He thinks our best chance is to make it so COVID kills and hospitalizes no more than the flu

He was confident IU would be back to normal come fall, assuming enough students, faculty and staff are vaccinated. But he thinks that will happen.

Reactions: TommyCracker
The head of IUs COVID response said today he thinks the heard immunity ship has sailed. He thinks our best chance is to make it so COVID kills and hospitalizes no more than the flu

He was confident IU would be back to normal come fall, assuming enough students, faculty and staff are vaccinated. But he thinks that will happen.
Makes sense

There are polls in my link that show approximately 50% male Trump voters who won’t take the vaccine. It’s almost twice as many as Dems.

Your workplace is probably highly educated. Those are the people who look at the numbers and get the vaccine. If someone is getting their “news” from Tucker Carlson, you’re probably not going to be vaccinated.
They are highly educated and I'm surprised by some that aren't getting vaccinated. I'm talking about a couple with PhDs even. Everyone is convinced that they're right with their decision. I can only encourage until it is a negative impact on any of them for doing their jobs.

How can anyone know how long the protection will be maintained? These vaccines have only existed for a few months.

Pretty sure that's mostly to add protection for newer variants. BICBW.
Well, The idea is to get everyone vaccinated so eventually it stops mutating. But if a certain number of people simply refuse, like they do with masks, we’ll be getting a lot of boosters.

It’s really sad when people won’t even believe doctors and scientists anymore.

Well, The idea is to get everyone vaccinated so eventually it stops mutating. But if a certain number of people simply refuse, like they do with masks, we’ll be getting a lot of boosters.

It’s really sad when people won’t even believe doctors and scientists anymore.
Johnson and Johnson has over a billion dollars in judgments against them right now. At least 50,000 pending lawsuits. Courts have held that they have concealed data, changed data, etc. it would be illogical for educated people not to have concerns. My doctor is vandy med yale undergrad. He is reluctant too bc of the speed involved. He’s going to do it but it’s not easy. Most vaccines go through years of vetting

Johnson and Johnson has over a billion dollars in judgments against them right now. At least 50,000 pending lawsuits. Courts have held that they have concealed data, changed data, etc. it would be illogical for educated people not to have concerns. My doctor is vandy med yale undergrad. He is reluctant too bc of the speed involved. He’s going to do it but it’s not easy. Most vaccines go through years of vetting
Is that the talcum powder causes snatch cancer stuff?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Lmao off. All kinda of shit. Talcum powder. Opioids. Trans Vaginal mesh. Heart device. Risperdal drug testing had mold. That’s off the top of my head. On and on. Tons of investigations recalls.

And I understand or at least am empathetic to the fear of a vaccine.

Which is one reason why I was originally against having Vax cards (now I don't care either way out of pure spite) because to me a Vax is a personal choice that if you believe, can protect the individual from the behavior around you.

I don't get flu shots and I don't like putting foreign things in my body. I'm also wary at how fast it came out.

That being said, the benefits to me waaay out weigh the risks, plus it helps the community.

So I got stuck on Monday and after having a sore arm yesterday, I'm fine and dandy (at least right now).

I tend to believe if there are long term effects the body will fight it out like most things but the benefit is nice knowing that I just reduced my hospitalization and even death risk a crap ton.

I'm also not the first and other than six people getting blood clots out of 7 million, there hasn't been anything that I've heard of.

Honestly, this vaccine is probably not close to the most dangerous things we've put in our blood streams. Lol

And the temporal part of all of this is unknown?
Are you asking about duration of immunity? Yeah, still unknown. But people vaccinated in September still have good immunity. So we can say at least 7 months. It will probably be years, but that can get stopped by unvaccinated people incubating variants, tossing immunity out the window.

And I understand or at least am empathetic to the fear of a vaccine.

Which is one reason why I was originally against having Vax cards (now I don't care either way out of pure spite) because to me a Vax is a personal choice that if you believe, can protect the individual from the behavior around you.

I don't get flu shots and I don't like putting foreign things in my body. I'm also wary at how fast it came out.

That being said, the benefits to me waaay out weigh the risks, plus it helps the community.

So I got stuck on Monday and after having a sore arm yesterday, I'm fine and dandy (at least right now).

I tend to believe if there are long term effects the body will fight it out like most things but the benefit is nice knowing that I just reduced my hospitalization and even death risk a crap ton.

I'm also not the first and other than six people getting blood clots out of 7 million, there hasn't been anything that I've heard of.

Honestly, this vaccine is probably not close to the most dangerous things we've put in our blood streams. Lol

If we can survive what fast food joints put in our food then i think we can survive a vaccine.

tenor.gif

Snatch cancer?

Well, even though Covid is a new vaccine, it’s not a “new” thing. This has been studied for many, many years. You really think they’re just winging it?

If your doc is an anti-vaxer, you should find a new doc immediately.

Well, even though Covid is a new vaccine, it’s not a “new” thing. This has been studied for many, many years. You really think they’re just winging it?

If your doc is an anti-vaxer, you should find a new doc immediately.
No one said he’s an anti vaxxer. He is reluctant given the speed. You realize j and j has been pulled from the market right? You realize j and j has a history of fraudulent concealment right?

We should all get vaccinated but to be concerned is normal

Your blind faith in doctors and scientists is shocking. Have you not followed the current fed investigation re 15 million contaminated doses of j and j? This a current investigation into contamination at a plant making them. It’s all over the news today. Even when the science is right a dirty plant can screw it all up. We have no idea how these things are being handled. How old the ingredients are. On and on. Further Eu is now making them carry a rare blood clot warning with it. AstraZeneca has also had similar issues

Doctors and scientists. Look up Schlesinger law office in south Florida and read the results page. Those are from doctors and scientists f ups doc, including 12 mil for sticking a kid with an expired vaccine . You wouldn’t believe the stories I could tell. one firm among many.

I too believe in getting vaccinated doc but the decision to do so isn’t something to take lightly for many discriminating people. I think we all need to row together and I’m in doc but it does make me nervous given the speed etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT