ADVERTISEMENT

Reporters asked Archie a few blunt questions. Bravo to them

Feb 16, 2020
A few of the post game questions after the BTT ten tourney -

Reporter: "Coach, what would be your message to the fans that are concerned about the direction of the program at this point?"

Archie: "My message to anybody right now is at the end of the day we'll be fine. We've got good guys, guys who battled, and like every program at this point in time you have to take inventory. Like I told our team, you know, expectations coming into this year, coming into this league, there's a lot of uncertainty about how things were going to work. We got our opportunities, and we didn't cash in on them. And performance matters. And our performance here this season you know it was inconsistent, and we we weren't able to capitalize on opportunities all the way through from November to December to January to put ourselves in a comfortable position. You know down here the stretch you know you deal with the tough injury or two, and you're playing without Armaan for a good three weeks. You know that really hurt us down the stretch being able to maybe find a way to get one or two to alleviate some of the pressure down the run. But you know, the reality is, this is what it was, and we didn't take advantage of the opportunities. Wasn't good enough. And now you have to take some inventory and you've got to make sure that you're doing everything you can to progress and get better, which I know we will."

Reporter: "Archie, Two questions. The first one is really short. Did you hear the fans chanting your name, and what they were saying? And if so, what did you think about that? That's my first question."

Archie: "I didn't hear the fans say anything, and if they were chanting my name that's up to them. During the game there's not a whole lot you pay attention to."

Reporter: "Second question is, this topic is going to dominate the off season until we get an answer. And the answer is, are you going to be back?
And I mean that's..and the fans chanting 'fire Archie' is kind of a microcosm of that. I don't think you've ever entered an off season like this. Are you entering it wondering if you'll be back? Or are you entering it knowing you will be back?"

Archie: "I'm not entering any offseason wondering, you know, if I'm going to be back. And those decisions are made way higher than me. My job is to run the program. And doing our thing here. I talk to our administration daily, we're in a good spot. Didn't capitalize on some opportunities this year to put ourselves in a position to be able to bounce back after last
year's season was obviously cancelled short. So it's disappointing. And no one's more disappointed than our team and our program and our coaches. And that's what you worry about right now. You know you got to build back up, you've got to find a way obviously to get back up off the ground. Put some things together here. And prepare obviously for hopefully a better off season. A very tough preseason obviously bringing in the team that we had. And you know, losing Joey at the beginning of the season was a really really tough blow to our depth. But all in all we had our opportunities. And like I told those guys, performance matters. And the question about me and whatnot, that's really not my concern."

Last edited:
A few of the post game questions after the BTT ten tourney
Reporter: "Coach, what would be your message to the fans that are concerned about the direction of the program at this point?"

Archie: "My message to anybody right now is at the end of the day we'll be fine.We've got good guys, guys who battled, and like every program at this point in time you have to take inventory. Like I told our team, you know, expectations coming into this year, coming into this league, there's a lot of uncertainty about how things were going to work. We got our opportunities, and we didn't cash in on them. And performance matters. And our performance here this season you know as it was inconsistent, and we we weren't able to capitalize on opportunities all the way through from November to December to January to put ourselves in a comfortable position. You know down here the stretch you know you deal with the tough injury or two, and you're playing without Armaan for a good three weeks. You know that really hurt us down the stretch being able to maybe find a way to get one or two to alleviate some of the pressure down the run. but you know, the reality is, this is what it was, and we didn't take advantage of the opportunities. Wasn't good enough. And now you have to take some inventory and you got to make sure that you're doing everything you can to progress and get better ,which I know we will."
Archie has zero accountability.....all excuses

Oh, so you had 2 injuries (Brunk and Franklin) Archie?

Who cares? Where's the depth? You know, depth. The thing that all *good* teams have when 1 or 2 players go down.

And let's be real, Franklin wasn't lost for the season, so it was really just 1.

Archie: "My message to anybody right now is at the end of the day we'll be fine. We've got good guys, guys who battled, and like every program at this point in time you have to take inventory. Like I told our team, you know, expectations coming into this year, coming into this league, there's a lot of uncertainty about how things were going to work. We got our opportunities, and we didn't cash in on them. And performance matters. And our performance here this season you know it was inconsistent, and we we weren't able to capitalize on opportunities all the way through from November to December to January to put ourselves in a comfortable position. You know down here the stretch you know you deal with the tough injury or two, and you're playing without Armaan for a good three weeks. You know that really hurt us down the stretch being able to maybe find a way to get one or two to alleviate some of the pressure down the run. But you know, the reality is, this is what it was, and we didn't take advantage of the opportunities. Wasn't good enough. And now you have to take some inventory and you've got to make sure that you're doing everything you can to progress and get better, which I know we will."

Reporter: "Archie, Two questions. The first one is really short. Did you hear the fans chanting your name, and what they were saying? And if so, what did you think about that? That's my first question."

Archie: "I didn't hear the fans say anything, and if they were chanting my name that's up to them. During the game there's not a whole lot you pay attention to."

Reporter: "Second question is, this topic is going to dominate the off season until we get an answer. And the answer is, are you going to be back?
And I mean that's..and the fans chanting 'fire Archie' is kind of a microcosm of that. I don't think you've ever entered an off season like this. Are you entering it wondering if you'll be back? Or are you entering it knowing you will be back?"

Archie: "I'm not entering any offseason wondering, you know, if I'm going to be back. And those decisions are made way higher than me. My job is to run the program. And doing our thing here. I talk to our administration daily, we're in a good spot. Didn't capitalize on some opportunities this year to put ourselves in a position to be able to bounce back after last
year's season was obviously cancelled short. So it's disappointing. And no one's more disappointed than our team and our program and our coaches. And that's what you worry about right now. You know you got to build back up, you've got to find a way obviously to get back up off the ground. Put some things together here. And prepare obviously for hopefully a better off season. A very tough preseason obviously bringing in the team that we had. And you know, losing Joey at the beginning of the season was a really really tough blow to our depth. But all in all we had our opportunities. And like I told those guys, performance matters. And the question about me and whatnot, that's really not my concern."

Well, it's certainly obvious that Archie's future is bright . . . as a politician. A lot of words but did he actually say anything substantial?

"at the end of the day we will be fine"

"we're in a good spot"

Archie has a very different perspective on this season, next season and the recruiting situation than I do.

How about this instead: "I hear those fans, and they are right...and these players...they both deserve much much better than what we have accomplished. It is our responsibility and commitment to do the following X Y Z to get this program back to where the players and the best fans in College Basketball deserve".

Oh, so you had 2 injuries (Brunk and Franklin) Archie?

Who cares? Where's the depth? You know, depth. The thing that all *good* teams have when 1 or 2 players go down.

And let's be real, Franklin wasn't lost for the season, so it was really just 1.

Great call on banking the two open scholarships...

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Did somebody say “blunt?”

We need to pass those out after this disaster of a season.
Cavanagh? You out there?

I think somewhere in all of this I have some bets out there to collect from Cav v.14 and twenty02.

Making the tourney now guys?

The day ended a few hours after he said this. Just a second while I check...

No, we weren’t fine at the end of the day.
In that setting, I’m not really sure how he’s supposed to respond. I did find these comments interesting, though:

"I'm not entering any offseason wondering, you know, if I'm going to be back. And those decisions are made way higher than me. My job is to run the program. And doing our thing here. I talk to our administration daily, we're in a good spot.”

When Crean departed, Glass was so committed to keeping him that he told him to go forward with his family vacation, as there was nothing to worry about and no reason to remain in Bloomington. At that point others interceded, Glass was forced into a 180, and then he let TC go via telephone instead of getting on a plane and doing it in person. You would hope Miller will be dealt with in a more straightforward and professional manner, but it sounds as though he fully expects to remain the coach.

[QUOTE="Birnk403

When Crean departed, Glass was so committed to keeping him that he told him to go forward with his family vacation, as there was nothing to worry about and no reason to remain in Bloomington. At that point others interceded, Glass was forced into a 180, and then he let TC go via telephone instead of getting on a plane and doing it in person. You would hope Miller will be dealt with in a more straightforward and professional manner, but it sounds as though he fully expects to remain the coach.
[/QUOTE]

Source?

Reactions: Radio Zero
[QUOTE="Birnk403

Source?
[/QUOTE]
17,261 . . . And if you need the identity of the source(s), you’re probably not privy to any noteworthy information. How’s the DM search coming? Kind of early to be stalking me, isn’t it? Waiting on the bus?

17,261 . . . And if you need the identity of the source(s), you’re probably not privy to any noteworthy information. How’s the DM search coming? Kind of early to be stalking me, isn’t it? Waiting on the bus?
[/QUOTE]

So no source
No link
No backup whatsoever

All while demanding same of others

In other words: same old same old for ordfan.

Nice work trashing another thread LOL

Reactions: 76-1 and Radio Zero

Cavanagh? You out there?

I think somewhere in all of this I have some bets out there to collect from Cav v.14 and twenty02.

Blood money.

So no source
No link
No backup whatsoever

[/QUOTE]
See, this is why it’s so clear that your sole aim is to stalk me. It’s always been obvious bit you make it even easier to detect.

Nonetheless, here’s your source: The almost but never was DIL / SIL of a Hoosier sports great. This is absolute fact. If you’re as connected as you claim, you’ll instantly know who this is. C’mon, the ball’s in your Court. Stop stalking and actually post something of value. Let’s see if you’re up to the task. How’s the DM search coming?

So he blames injuries and COVID. A few better questions might have focused on free throw shooting, shooting the inability to make shots under and around the bucket, why a feature of his program has been long scoring droughts, what his coaches actually do to improve player performance sing almost no one seems to get better under Archie, etc. What did they expect him to say "I expect to be fired this week."? Dumb questions, not pointed.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
[QUOTE="Birnk403

Source?
[/QUOTE]
If he is retained the bs justifying it will be very interesting. What transfers will want to come into this program.

So no source
No link
No backup whatsoever

See, this is why it’s so clear that your sole aim is to stalk me. It’s always been obvious bit you make it even easier to detect.

Nonetheless, here’s your source: The almost but never was DIL / SIL of a Hoosier sports great. This is absolute fact. If you’re as connected as you claim, you’ll instantly know who this is. C’mon, the ball’s in your Court. Stop stalking and actually post something of value. Let’s see if you’re up to the task. How’s the DM search coming?
[/QUOTE]

LOL

Not at the carwash?

Not quite as good as not one but two BOT members over lunch.

If nothing else you are entertaining ord.

If he is retained the bs justifying it will be very interesting. What transfers will want to come into this program.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, the problems just compound. The negeative recruiting particularly for in-state recruits will only ramp up.

LOL

Not at the carwash?

[/QUOTE]
You mean the trustees whom you claimed told you Glass wanted to fire Crean immediately after we won the regular season Big 10 title? Those guys? I already showed you were a liar on that one, Court, remember? That’s when you made up the nonsense about me sending you vulgar DM’s that you promised to produce but never have (since they don’t exist).

This is all rooted in your dishonesty and lack of credibility. We both know that, BGR. That’s why you stalk me in hopes that you can deflect away from your bs. It doesn’t work, even as you try so very hard.

But any truly connected person would’ve easily figured out who one of my sources is. I led you right to it and you still don’t know. Just like we knew you wouldn’t.

You mean the trustees whom you claimed told you Glass wanted to fire Crean immediately after we won the regular season Big 10 title? Those guys? I already showed you were a liar on that one, Court, remember? That’s when you made up the nonsense about me sending you vulgar DM’s that you promised to produce but never have (since they don’t exist).

This is all rooted in your dishonesty and lack of credibility. We both know that, BGR. That’s why you stalk me in hopes that you can deflect away from your bs. It doesn’t work, even as you try so very hard.

But any truly connected person would’ve easily figured out who one of my sources is. I led you right to it and you still don’t know. Just like we knew you wouldn’t.
What coaches could IU hire would make you excited about the future of IU basketball again? Are there any?

Archie has zero accountability.....all excuses

He always gives a damn good analysis of what went wrong. I never have heard any details from him as to what he should have done differently, and what he intended to do to fix the problems. About every second loss he throws out an "It's on me" with nothing more, as if that's really an answer to anything.

And "We'll be fine"?? Wtf is that supposed to mean? What is "fine"? When will "fine" happen?

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
In that setting, I’m not really sure how he’s supposed to respond. I did find these comments interesting, though:

"I'm not entering any offseason wondering, you know, if I'm going to be back. And those decisions are made way higher than me. My job is to run the program. And doing our thing here. I talk to our administration daily, we're in a good spot.”

Yes, I don't like that "we're in a good spot" comment at all. Sounds like Scottie is saying one thing to the fans, and another thing to the coach.

So he blames injuries and COVID. A few better questions might have focused on free throw shooting, shooting the inability to make shots under and around the bucket, why a feature of his program has been long scoring droughts, what his coaches actually do to improve player performance sing almost no one seems to get better under Archie, etc. What did they expect him to say "I expect to be fired this week."? Dumb questions, not pointed.

It's amazing how half-assed sportswriters are at their jobs.......it's just the culture of the job.

Cavanagh? You out there?

i owe twenty 100 bucks, No1 else had balls enough to bet me. I was practically giving away free blunts with my bet proposals. I bet twenty we would make the elite 8. Worst bet since last time I bet we would make the elite 8 with him, you know, the year crean got fired.

I mean - what did you expect him to say to these questions? Everything is terrible and the next guy will hopefully make it better after I'm fired? Yes I heard the fans begging for me to get fired? In like 1982 you'd have gotten a Bob Knight tirade answer or something sure but Archie also knows he has to play nice to the media and start posturing for the next job. He also has to play nice if he really does think he's coming back because he's smart enough to know it's going to be tough enough without antagonizing the fans and media.

Yes, I don't like that "we're in a good spot" comment at all. Sounds like Scottie is saying one thing to the fans, and another thing to the coach.

Thinking more about this quote, and reading the tea leaves, I'm really down & pissed......Here's the full quote: "I talk to our administration daily, we're in a good spot".

The fact that he thinks he's in a "good spot", after talking to "our administration" (ie...Dullson) after the recent Purdue, MSU & Rutgers games, is making me go over to the dark side and believe that Little Arch really ISN'T going to be fired. It sounds as if Dullson has never had any real conversation with CAM about what the hell is going on on the court. Sad and pathetic.

LOL

Not at the carwash?

[/QUOTE]

LOL

Nice try Ace.

LOL

Nice try Ace.

[/QUOTE]
In other words, you got nothing. You lied, I busted you. Multiple times. DM’s?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT