ADVERTISEMENT

Report says Mike DeBord is retiring....

Colorado School of Mines, Montana & Texas State? That's your version of "home run hitter hire?" Hmm...
Not worth arguing over. If you haven't heard of Bob Stitt and his background then you need to do more research before commenting. AND Indiana is not getting some home run hire. BUT, if you want a guy who is available and deserves a shot as an OC at this level its Bob Stitt! Ask some of the brightest OC's in the business currently about him and you get rave reviews. Leach, Holgerson, Mumme, Gundy and others love the guy and ask him in regularly for advice. His name was brought up last year for Penn State, and BYU before he landed at Oklahoma state. jus sayin

Moore was better than anyone we had, the rest is questionable?
Their oline was terrible and I would take Scott over their backs. Blough was better than what we CHOSE to go with. I would also add that the offense we ran had the potential for a lot more injuries to both the QB's and receivers.

Scott is a better runner, but had ball control issues and was a poor pass blocker, which negates his running ability advantage.

Not worth arguing over. If you haven't heard of Bob Stitt and his background then you need to do more research before commenting. AND Indiana is not getting some home run hire. BUT, if you want a guy who is available and deserves a shot as an OC at this level its Bob Stitt! Ask some of the brightest OC's in the business currently about him and you get rave reviews. Leach, Holgerson, Mumme, Gundy and others love the guy and ask him in regularly for advice. His name was brought up last year for Penn State, and BYU before he landed at Oklahoma state. jus sayin
He is not at Oklahoma State that is Mike Yurcich

he just took a job a few weeks ago

I still respectfully but strongly disagree this gentleman would be a home run hire as IU OC. As was suggested. Don’t think his resume - even with OK St Analyst on it - is a home run hire.

He's the OC at Texas State....can we afford him? lol

Looks like he's mostly been a D2 OC/head coach.....got fired at Montana in 2017, but not sure why, as he was 21-14 over his 3 years there........In any event, I'd take him over DeBord.

He's the OC at Texas State....can we afford him? lol

Looks like he's mostly been a D2 OC/head coach.....got fired at Montana in 2017, but not sure why, as he was 21-14 over his 3 years there........In any event, I'd take him over DeBord.
The issue isn't whether you would take him over DeBord. It's whether he is the OC that IU needs to be successful in the future.

Westbrook avg 18 ypc! Dumb.

Really, really dumb on Palm's part......I know....shocking.

The guy averaged 18.4 ypc and had 6 TDs to go with 995 yds........going into this year, the word was that he was 100%, 'better than ever', and actually tested 2 seconds faster on their speed drill........end result? 42 recs, 590 yds, 14.0 ypc, 4 TDs.

Looking at 2016, we can see what a disaster this OC/QB combo was this year.

In '16, Hale caught 16 for 210 yds, but 16.2 ypc; this year he was 42-508-12.1.

In '16, Luke Timian avg. 14.6 yds on 19 recs, in '18, 9.2 on 46 recs.

So.......Westbrook down 4.4 ypc, Hale down 4.1 ypc, LT down 5.4 ypc from '16.

In '16 Mitchell Page avg. 11.1 ypc on 58 catches, 2.1 ypc more than LT did this year on his 46 catches.

Pretty good argument, imo, that Penix should have been the starting QB going into BT play.

Reactions: Chriselli
Throw a million at Major Applewhite and see if that's enough to bring him here.

I agree, even though I think he might be here only one year if he's successful. Glass HAS to do something to demonstrate we really give a crap about winning. Hiring that guy would make a statement to the fan base, for sure.

Groom Mike Hart as his replacement.......tell him he has the job when M.A. leaves.

Reactions: kobis18
Really, really dumb on Palm's part......I know....shocking.

The guy averaged 18.4 ypc and had 6 TDs to go with 995 yds........going into this year, the word was that he was 100%, 'better than ever', and actually tested 2 seconds faster on their speed drill........end result? 42 recs, 590 yds, 14.0 ypc, 4 TDs.

Looking at 2016, we can see what a disaster this OC/QB combo was this year.

In '16, Hale caught 16 for 210 yds, but 16.2 ypc; this year he was 42-508-12.1.

In '16, Luke Timian avg. 14.6 yds on 19 recs, in '18, 9.2 on 46 recs.

So.......Westbrook down 4.4 ypc, Hale down 4.1 ypc, LT down 5.4 ypc from '16.

In '16 Mitchell Page avg. 11.1 ypc on 58 catches, 2.1 ypc more than LT did this year on his 46 catches.

Pretty good argument, imo, that Penix should have been the starting QB going into BT play.
You do know there are a lot of variables that go into the changes on stats. Number 1 he Mitchell Page in the slot who people had to pay more attention to than Timian and all others used in the slot. The other guy on the outside was Simmian Cobb also a threat. Also had a better running threat. Protection is also an issue so really not a great argument.

You do know there are a lot of variables that go into the changes on stats. Number 1 he Mitchell Page in the slot who people had to pay more attention to than Timian and all others used in the slot. The other guy on the outside was Simmian Cobb also a threat. Also had a better running threat. Protection is also an issue so really not a great argument.

What about 3 different players all having 4-5 yds less per catch than they averaged in 2016?

Reactions: Flooded Timber
Not saying you are wrong or right but again many factors at play. But for some reason the coaches did not feel like it was Penix time.
I think they would have stuck with Penix during the psu game until the injury. It seemed to me that they were not gonna pull him.

Tom MUST hit a triple, I'm not sure a double is strong enough. Remember, Tom will turn the keys over to this individual 100%, so this will make or break his future in Bloomington!

Matt Canada would be pretty decent, and heck, I liked Kevin Johns!! Never could understand why Allen was so damn quick to give Johns the boot.

Johns>Debord 7 days a week...

Tom MUST hit a triple, I'm not sure a double is strong enough. Remember, Tom will turn the keys over to this individual 100%, so this will make or break his future in Bloomington!

Matt Canada would be pretty decent, and heck, I liked Kevin Johns!! Never could understand why Allen was so damn quick to give Johns the boot.

Every coach has “their guy” when they take over. That’s why you don’t see coordinators retained when a new HC comes in.

Make no mistake that Wilson was running the offense, not Johns.
In Klingsbury’s system, Johns held a title of OC but was the inside WRs coach only.

Reactions: Chriselli

Also lot of people on this board complained about Johns I know that is shocking but he did have Lagow that last year.

Also lot of people on this board complained about Johns I know that is shocking but he did have Lagow that last year.
I like Debord well enough, and I really tried to keep my mouth shut concerning Debord. Mike is a good coach, I hope he enjoys retirement!

The one offensive coordinator I had a really hard time with was Matt Canada. I will never forget his decision up at Northwestern that cost Indiana that game. I guess that was in 2008, Lewis was our QB. Littrell made a call that was just as bad in 2013 against Minnesota that cost Indiana the game.

Both of those guys are obviously damn good coaches but as Indiana fans, it seems like we are familiar with their career low calls!!

So just looked at stats from 2016 and IU this year guess which year scored more points per game?

So just looked at stats from 2016 and IU this year guess which year scored more points per game?

26.4 in '18 v. 25.8 in '16; 426 ypg in '16 v. 415 in '18; 88th in scoring per game in '16, 81st in '18

Lagow was a one man wrecking crew in '16, wouldn't you agree? He had 17 ints and was also a stiff, with negative 200 yards rushing. I'm not a big PR guy.....I was YELLING for him in '17 when Lagow was a senior and PR was a freshman. Throw in 1 int from Zander as well.

Also, the WR group in '18 was far superior to that of '16. In '16 we had Westbrook, Jones & Page, and a big drop off to Hale & Timian. This year we had Westbrook, Hale & Timian all 2 years older, as well as Harris, Fryfogle, Whop, & Taylor.

26.4 in '18 v. 25.8 in '16; 426 ypg in '16 v. 415 in '18; 88th in scoring per game in '16, 81st in '18

Lagow was a one man wrecking crew in '16, wouldn't you agree? He had 17 ints and was also a stiff, with negative 200 yards rushing. I'm not a big PR guy.....I was YELLING for him in '17 when Lagow was a senior and PR was a freshman. Throw in 1 int from Zander as well.

Also, the WR group in '18 was far superior to that of '16. In '16 we had Westbrook, Jones & Page, and a big drop off to Hale & Timian. This year we had Westbrook, Hale & Timian all 2 years older, as well as Harris, Fryfogle, Whop, & Taylor.
So you don’t believe we were limited with Ramsey. Also l believe Page to be better than Timian but he also missed some time this year. Westbrook coming off major injury. Hale was an enigma lot of talent never accomplished much.
Run game had better pieces in 16. I mean you can spin it anyway you want. Scored 36 points a game the year before was the offense or the players.
Job as a coach is to play to players strengths.

So you don’t believe we were limited with Ramsey. Also l believe Page to be better than Timian but he also missed some time this year. Westbrook coming off major injury. Hale was an enigma lot of talent never accomplished much.
Run game had better pieces in 16. I mean you can spin it anyway you want. Scored 36 points a game the year before was the offense or the players.
Job as a coach is to play to players strengths.

You routinely state what I 'believe', and you're always wrong.

I certainly never said we weren't limited with Ramsey. In fact, I've said the exact opposite approximately 1000 times. That's why I wondered why Penix wasn't starting when BT play rolled around. I did say you have to make the most of the talent you have. Therefore, if you ARE going to play PR, you still have to let him throw in downfield once in a while. Our OC didn't figure that out until the 2nd half of the Minnesota game.

I think Timian and Paige were a wash....Timian a little bigger & faster, Paige a little shiftier.

Westbrook was said to be 'better than ever' coming coming out of spring practice, and 2 seconds faster in their speed drills. I already told you that, so I know you're just throwing crap against the wall with that.

Finally, we did not have better "pieces" for the run game in 2016 than in 2018. We avg. 3.7 yds/carry that year v. 4.4 in 2018. Scott averaged 5.0 ypc v. Redding at 4.4. Scott had 1137 yds, Redding 1122. Scott had 10 TDs, Redding 7. Also, Lagow had -188 rush yds in '16, with 2 TDs, while PR had +354 rush yds in '18, with 5 TDs.

So there you go.......wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. At least you're consistent.

ADVERTISEMENT