ADVERTISEMENT

Report says Mike DeBord is retiring....

I disagree. Many of the defenses could stop the IU offense but it has nothing to do with Debord. It has all to do with personnel and execution. The very same reason that our same exact offense under Johns and Wilson in 2016 wasn’t as good as 2015 (we had to resort to a wildcat to get things going). It’s personnel and execution.
I think I posted about the same time as you and said the same thing. I have nothing against the offense. Its the players and execution all day. Look what a true freshman did in it!!! Penix was getting it done in DeBords offense.

You can all say what you want but when you have been in the game as long as DeBord you have seen everything and have ALOT of experience. Those of you that wanted him gone and complained al the time need to go back and watch tape. His offense really is a thing of beauty when its in the right hands.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
What is the benefit of taking a risk when you have the opportunity to pick someone with proven results? A coach at a non power 5 conference team with a successful track record would be fine with me. Mike Hart might be an option if we want to pick someone to learn on the job.
please...no learning on the job guy. we already have one of those in our head coach

Reactions: td75
I disagree. Many of the defenses could stop the IU offense but it has nothing to do with Debord. It has all to do with personnel and execution. The very same reason that our same exact offense under Johns and Wilson in 2016 wasn’t as good as 2015 (we had to resort to a wildcat to get things going). It’s personnel and execution.

Littrell was here in 2015 not Johns. Apples and Oranges.

Still taking shots at Debord, At least any guy who came in last year came in partially because of Debord and you don’t know how many in this years class did. There has to be a reason it happened now and not immediately after season.
Um...no.

Debord was restricted with a 2 dimensional qb in a 3 dimensional game. If he had a legitimate threat of a long ball game the offense would have been more successful.

Reactions: Indianaftw
CTA will pick the replacement but FG has to approve the salary. History tells us FG will go cheap. This is a great opportunity to move the program forward and for the fans to see if FG is willing to make a commitment to win. It's very unlikely a well known sure fire hire will be made because it would require paying more than CTA makes, the best we can hope for is a somewhat proven candidate.
is a half million salary cheap? how times have changed

I think I posted about the same time as you and said the same thing. I have nothing against the offense. Its the players and execution all day. Look what a true freshman did in it!!! Penix was getting it done in DeBords offense.

You can all say what you want but when you have been in the game as long as DeBord you have seen everything and have ALOT of experience. Those of you that wanted him gone and complained al the time need to go back and watch tape. His offense really is a thing of beauty when its in the right hands.

Every OC would be a genius with Bama or clemson's roster. Purdue did more with less than what we had 2 years running. We could make excuses for debord for another couple of years or find someone who can do more with what we have.

Applewhite is intriguing. Former QB @ UT, OC/QB gigs with Bama, UT, Syracuse and Houston before becoming HC. His Houston team had a top 5 offense in the nation this year, even with the egg they laid in their bowl game. His previous teams as HC and OC/QB coach @ Houston finished between 12th and 60th nationally offensively. And his contract as Head Coach @ Houston was akin to a "prove it" kind of deal (very University friendly) so he might not break the bank either.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
Every OC would be a genius with Bama or clemson's roster. Purdue did more with less than what we had 2 years running. We could make excuses for debord for another couple of years or find someone who can do more with what we have.

I agree. Their play calling really helped them win some of the 50/50 ball games. It’s not going to win many games stacked against an Auburn who is ready to play and has that talent level. No amount of trickeration will do that.

IU has to get this one right and, if coaches can truly put egos aside, get somebody in here and offer him exactly $1 less than what the HC makes. If they are serious and are in this to improve the program rather than concern themselves with some hierarchy of pay.

Applewhite is intriguing. Former QB @ UT, OC/QB gigs with Bama, UT, Syracuse and Houston before becoming HC. His Houston team had a top 5 offense in the nation this year, even with the egg they laid in their bowl game. His previous teams as HC and OC/QB coach @ Houston finished between 12th and 60th nationally offensively. And his contract as Head Coach @ Houston was akin to a "prove it" kind of deal (very University friendly) so he might not break the bank either.

I think his offense would fit us perfectly and I’d take a long, hard look at Graham Harrell. Tee Martin is a hot commodity but he’s likely to be in Miami.

Debord was restricted with a 2 dimensional qb in a 3 dimensional game. If he had a legitimate threat of a long ball game the offense would have been more successful.
Still need a burner on the outside. L love Hale and Westbrook but not real deep threats.
is a half million salary cheap? how times have changed
Beays the heck out my $3500 in Palm Beach county which is a real joke

Here was Penix possessions in DeBords offense
TD
FG
TD
Punt
Punt after a big play and holding called
TD
Punt another big play and holding
Downs, Drove down to the Penn State 10 yard line and turned over on downs
TD

Thats pretty outstanding IYAM. Even Fiacable in the Ball State game drove down to the 4 yard line and threw a pick.

The offense was not the problem. The offense was brilliant we just needed someone to run it right. Look at the Penix results. Thats a true freshman QB at the helm with excellent results!

Well Purdue’s offense was pedestrian last year won on strength of defense then was better this year mainly because of Moore. Take him away and average again

TD
FG
TD
Punt
TD
TD

Thats pretty outstanding IYAM. Even Fiacable in the Ball State game drove down to the 4 yard line and threw a pick.

The offense was not the problem. The offense was brilliant we just needed someone to run it right. Look at the Penix results. Thats a true freshman QB at the helm with excellent results!

Well then he didn't use him to very good effect? He has no sense of urgency in regards to winning. If Penix was the magic bullet, then he left it chambered for far too long.

Reactions: Chriselli
TD
FG
TD
Punt
TD
TD

I agree Penix had some impressive results but you wonder if he could have sustained throughout the entire game.

Last year IU actually had the better offense statistically, Purdue’s 2017 offense even took a small step back from 2016. their overall success last year was predicated on defense and aggressive special teams play.

And this year, Purdue had more talent at QB and WR (IU was deeper at WR, but Moore and Zico are better than any on IUs roster), and similar talent to IU at RB and OL.

Purdue has not done more with less, at least offensively

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnsyRick
Last year IU actually had the better offense statistically, Purdue’s 2017 offense even took a small step back from 2016. their overall success last year was predicated on defense and aggressive special teams play.

And this year, Purdue had more talent at QB and WR (IU was deeper at WR, but Moore and Zico are better than any on IUs roster), and similar talent to IU at RB and OL.

Moore was better than anyone we had, the rest is questionable?
Their oline was terrible and I would take Scott over their backs. Blough was better than what we CHOSE to go with. I would also add that the offense we ran had the potential for a lot more injuries to both the QB's and receivers.

Well then he didn't use him to very good effect? He has no sense of urgency in regards to winning. If Penix was the magic bullet, then he left it chambered for far too long.
I can only dream of how good (2nd year) Penix could have been in this offense next year. Whoever gets hired there will be a learning curve and who knows what its going to be? I could at least go into games this year knowing we were gonna move the football. Next year could be a complete disaster depending on the hire.

Since were throwing names around. Here's my pick and I guarantee he would jump at the opportunity and he has plenty of experience.

Bob Stitt

My bet is due to the relationship between CTA and DeBord, this was in the making for a long time. Waited until first signing period was over and before the coaches convention. I wouldn’t be surprised if they already have had conversations or a good idea who they want.

Horsecrap...did you actually watch the games???

TD
FG
TD
Punt
TD
TD

Brilliant post of who I think is going to help make Allen look like a genius coach and help IU move to 7 wins & beyond ahead. Talent has a way of making everyone look better!

He got in the Penn St. game and had he not gotten injured, think he would have played out season as Starter. Why get into the 2nd guessing, they were bringing a FR along and put in him vs. PSU! Fluke injury, he'll be back passing by Spring and even w/Tuttle, I'm still banking on the 4-star FL lefty next season!

I can only dream of how good (2nd year) Penix could have been in this offense next year. Whoever gets hired there will be a learning curve and who knows what its going to be? I could at least go into games this year knowing we were gonna move the football. Next year could be a complete disaster depending on the hire.

Since were throwing names around. Here's my pick and I guarantee he would jump at the opportunity and he has plenty of experience.

Bob Stitt
Colorado School of Mines, Montana & Texas State? That's your version of "home run hitter hire?" Hmm...

I'm not so sure. If you were grooming him to be the starter there were plenty of other opportunities to get him game time that were passed on.
I'm convinced that had Penix finished the PSU game and remained effective while doing so (regardless of the outcome), he would have become the starter.

I'm not so sure. If you were grooming him to be the starter there were plenty of other opportunities to get him game time that were passed on.
Hindsight is 20/20 always. Most would give benefit of the doubt to coaching staff who got him ready for a major game vs. major talent team PSU. Injury was an unfortunate fluke, and if he had been able to finish out season, bet IU would have hit 6 games at least.

Hindsight is 20/20 always. Most would give benefit of the doubt to coaching staff who got him ready for a major game vs. major talent team PSU. Injury was an unfortunate fluke, and if he had been able to finish out season, bet IU would have hit 6 games at least.

So credit should be given for throwing him to the wolves with almost no time in the woods? Maybe the injury would not have happened if it had been handled differently? If he was the ticket to a winning season, he should have been in from the get go. They had a back up that would have been a whole lot better back up than a starter. Anyway I am more hopeful for the future than I was this time yesterday.

So credit should be given for throwing him to the wolves with almost no time in the woods? Maybe the injury would not have happened if it had been handled differently? If he was the ticket to a winning season, he should have been in from the get go. They had a back up that would have been a whole lot better back up than a starter. Anyway I am more hopeful for the future than I was this time yesterday.

If no answer works for some people you can't really have a discussion. If you know more than the coaching staff, dog gone it, throw your hat in the ring so Fred Glass knows your talents are available, and I bet you come in less than $1M a year the Georgia OC would cost!

If being fair, Debord probably was more of a "good OC with still developing talent" than "had all tools on the roster but couldn't get it done" if being real about state of IU's RB, OL/WR/QB talent the last 2 seasons. My view anyway.

That said, I'm for a change in OC role as I think it's a natural progression, and regardless of how anyone judge's it, I think Penix still got game experience and kept his RS year which will serve him well as he prepares for his 2nd season. With a new OC at the helm, I bet (and hope) they will utilize his talents well.

If no answer works for some people you can't really have a discussion. If you know more than the coaching staff, dog gone it, throw your hat in the ring so Fred Glass knows your talents are available, and I bet you come in less than $1M a year the Georgia OC would cost!

If being fair, Debord probably was more of a "good OC with still developing talent" than "had all tools on the roster but couldn't get it done" if being real about state of IU's RB, OL/WR/QB talent the last 2 seasons. My view anyway.

That said, I'm for a change in OC role as I think it's a natural progression, and regardless of how anyone judge's it, I think Penix still got game experience and kept his RS year which will serve him well as he prepares for his 2nd season. With a new OC at the helm, I bet (and hope) they will utilize his talents well.

If no one can really know anything if they aren't in the room then nothing would ever change anywhere. Thankfully someone in the room knew something or we just got lucky.

Here is my slant on the OC opportunity.. No special insight...

1. CTA has been aware of DeBords's decision for a number of weeks. Maybe since the season ended.
2. CTA has someone in mind. And maybe just waiting to see what coaches are available after the bowl season is complete.
3. Could be an attractive landing spot for a displaced OC since CTA will still focus most of his attention to defense and special teams.
4. I would be ok with Canada. His offenses moved the ball when he was at IU. Maryland offense looked stout this past season even without a top flight QB. He has ties not only in Indiana but in the South and DC area. Could be his path back to a HC opportunity...

Reactions: All4You
what, you don't like 3 yard completions on 3rd and 12?
There are people on this board that believe Brohm an offensive genius... go back and watch the Purdue debacle and see how many times Blount throws short of the sticks. During the season they got by with it but against better athletes not as successful. They were out athletes kind of like us.

Here is my slant on the OC opportunity.. No special insight...

1. CTA has been aware of DeBords's decision for a number of weeks. Maybe since the season ended.
2. CTA has someone in mind. And maybe just waiting to see what coaches are available after the bowl season is complete.
3. Could be an attractive landing spot for a displaced OC since CTA will still focus most of his attention to defense and special teams.
4. I would be ok with Canada. His offenses moved the ball when he was at IU. Maryland offense looked stout this past season even without a top flight QB. He has ties not only in Indiana but in the South and DC area. Could be his path back to a HC opportunity...

Good thoughts. I just hope if a Canada type, it’s not someone only wanting to be passing through. Ideally an interest in IU first, and if organic opportunities follow due to winning, so be it.

Reactions: Tegray1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT