ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Big Ten to shut Down 2020 Football season and Move it to Spring

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
The university of Wisconsin Beat Reporter for the Milwaukee Journal is reporting that Big Ten Presidents and AD's held a teleconference yesterday and decided to shut down the 2020 Season and move it to Spring. he indicates that the formal announcement will be made early this Week.

Sorry to see them make this decision, if they have, as it opens up a big can of worms for players and coaches for two seasons. Players will opt out to prepare for the NFL draft, the season will create a logjam for the 2021 season, and will all power 5 conferences go with this schedule.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
Reactions: red hornet
That's kind of a pipe dream, right? If a vaccine isn't coming until after the first of the year, then it's going to take months to disseminate down to enough people to make a big enough difference. The spring is going to look a lot like the fall, in my opinion. This is a stall for the inevitable.

That's kind of a pipe dream, right? If a vaccine isn't coming until after the first of the year, then it's going to take months to disseminate down to enough people to make a big enough difference. The spring is going to look a lot like the fall, in my opinion. This is a stall for the inevitable.

Yes, if true, this is just cya bs.

The university of Wisconsin Beat Reporter for the Milwaukee Journal is reporting that Big Ten Presidents and AD's held a teleconference yesterday and decided to shut down the 2020 Season and move it to Spring. he indicates that the formal announcement will be made early this Week.

Unless they plan on also moving the 2021 Fall Season, I think spring football is a terrible idea. The NFL guys could opt out. And then you're expecting them to play 20something football games in 9 months. I just don't see how that is physically possible. Players with severe injuries in the Spring could lose 2 seasons instead of 1. What a mess.

There won’t be football at all this academic year. No basketball either. Or most sports.

this is a real scary disease. So many unknowns to it. Any immunity is prolly gonna be only a few months. It is never going away. China really phuqqd the world.

so we’re only now starting to navigate a new way to live with this thing.

college sports is not a priority right now.

and this is an opportunity for colleges To lockout college players to head off at least for a year their efforts to form college players organizations.

this is a real scary disease. So many unknowns to it. Any immunity is prolly gonna be only a few months. It is never going away. China really phuqqd the world.

The unknowns are what make it scary.

"Any immunity is prolly gonna be only a few months. It is never going away." Both statements are PURE speculation based on no facts. Either or both could be true but there is no way to know that now.

The last sentence is SO true.

If this happens,do they go back to the original 2020 12 game schedule and when would they start?
Do they move the 2021 season up a month or so to give players more time to recoup,etc?

Well i guess we will just watch the SEC this year. And probably the other schools that join up with them. Clemson and Ohio St will be the first to link up somehow to play. Notre Dame will follow.

How has the NBA had almost zero cases and the MLB had zero serious cases??

The B1G will reap what it sows. Good luck to them trying to recover from this. They better hope and pray the SEC and Big 12 cancel as well. Otherwise the programs will be set back years.

Reactions: DANC
If this happens,do they go back to the original 2020 12 game schedule and when would they start?
Do they move the 2021 season up a month or so to give players more time to recoup,etc?

There won’t be a spring 2021 season. This is kicking the can down the road so they don’t lose all their money at once. I’ll be putting in for my refund ASAP.

There won’t be a spring 2021 season. This is kicking the can down the road so they don’t lose all their money at once. I’ll be putting in for my refund ASAP.
I agree,that’s why I started my post with ‘if this happens’

Well i guess we will just watch the SEC this year. And probably the other schools that join up with them. Clemson and Ohio St will be the first to link up somehow to play. Notre Dame will follow.

How has the NBA had almost zero cases and the MLB had zero serious cases??

Ohio State's President just voted to shut down the season this weekend. So no.

Reactions: BayernFan
Ohio State's President just voted to shut down the season this weekend. So no.

who were the 2 schools to vote they wanted to play? Also when that president is forced the decision to play or be fired we will see what happens.

i think this whole issue is more about money than safety. They’re afraid of the players banding together and essentially unionizing and paying millions for testing and lab turnaround. They’re much safer at school being cared for by Indiana than at home. About guarantee that.

Its absolutely about money.

This way, college football avoids catastrophic liability should some 3rd stringer lineman at Alabama or Ohio state or Clemson gets sick, has a lifelong heart condition and needs financial support the rest of his life while college football looks like 19th century robber barons....

PLUS

college football gets to lock out college athletes without real repercussions in an effort to prevent them from basically unionizing.

Brilliant.

the other conferences will come around.

This way, college football avoids catastrophic liability should some 3rd stringer lineman at Alabama or Ohio state or Clemson gets sick, has a lifelong heart condition and needs financial support the rest of his life while college football looks like 19th century robber barons....

PLUS

college football gets to lock out college athletes without real repercussions in an effort to prevent them from basically unionizing.

Brilliant.

the other conferences will come around.
By giving the opt out option would you really be liable for anything? If a kid gets his neck broken does the University pay them a settlement? I mean at the end of the day they get to keep their scholarships.

Reactions: DANC
FWIW, we will NOT be playing in the spring. It's highly unlikely things will be significantly better by then. Idk why anyone assumes they will be. Fall 2021 would be ideal, & yet very much questionable in it's own right, imo.

Last edited:
Without real repercussions? Without a football season, athletics departments will be bankrupt. And without BTN money the financial impact will go beyond athletics.

I’m sure we’ll be fine but the group of 5 could seriously die out as D-1. No way we can sustain 2 years of this though.

Reactions: BayernFan and TMFT
Without real repercussions? Without a football season, athletics departments will be bankrupt. And without BTN money the financial impact will go beyond athletics.
Maybe with less money the facilities arms race will slow down. We don't need practice facilities with Amenities that are better than the best, highest priced hotel rooms in indy, Chicago, and New York.

Remember the scene at the end of the Movie "Revenge Of the Nerds", where the Milk Toast bow tied Dean is telling the football players and Coach that he is ordering them out of their House and turning it over to the Nerd Fraternity because they destroyed their Frat House? One of the Players and the Coach confront him ans asks 'Where are they supposed to live?' His reply, You're Jocks, live in the Gym."

Reactions: BayernFan
This disease may cause traditional college to wane... which would make athletic departments wane as well. College athletics is unique to the USA, and nothing lasts forever.

Reactions: hoosier48
This disease may cause traditional college to wane... which would make athletic departments wane as well. College athletics is unique to the USA, and nothing lasts forever.

Is stopping programs from spending like drunken sailors the worst thing? From coaches salaries to buyouts for fired coaches to facilities and weight rooms and dorms. And on and on. It became an arms race and I’m not sure who really benefited from it except the coaches and their bank accounts. Maybe a little perspective would be welcome.

Is stopping programs from spending like drunker sailors the worst thing? From coaches salaries to buyouts for fired coaches to facilities and weight rooms and dorms. And on and on. It became an arms race and I’m not sure who really benefited from it except the coaches and their bank accounts. Maybe a little perspective would be welcome.

nope. May be a real good thing.

I'm not sure what the correct balance is between athletics and academics in power 5 conferences. But one thing is sure and that is the pendulum has swung way too far towards Athletics.

Jumping through all of these hoops to gather all of these people back on campus for "voluntary" workouts is a bit ridiculous. Large coaching staff making hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars while players get room and board for what now is it 12 months a year job . All of this is driven by television money. And now the NCAA has allowed promoters to start throwing chump change to the athletes. I'm glad Indiana was to able to upgrade its facilities in a big way and that could have been done without television contracts . But I would look forward to the return of the Rose Bowl being the granddaddy of them all.

Reactions: Chriselli
That's not true....at least not yet. The vote was informal. Iowa and Nebraska voted to play, the other 10 said no, but again, it's just an informal vote. I think it's probably only a matter of time, but it's not offical...yet.

No way the SEC shuts down the season, right?

Health and safety considerations are obviously of paramount importance in making the "play or nay" determination. I have to admit, though, and for a much less important reason, I won't be devastated if the season is canceled. That's because the revised schedule is absolutely grueling.

You'll remember the original schedule had us opening at Wisconsin, followed by a stretch of six games where we likely would have been favored in all of them. Now, the revamped schedule has three of our first four games against teams ranked in the Top 12 (Coaches Poll) nationally. A probable 1-3 start, along with the physical toll that kind of competition would take, would be followed by at Minnesota (hardly a gimme) and home to Michigan.

I know that, in order to take the next step, we've got to start knocking off some of the big boys, but a September schedule featuring Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State is a murderers' row. If things get bumped to the spring or to the fall of 2021, I hope we don't see this schedule again.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I originally thought that when we went to conference only games it was to push the schedule back two or three weeks. That would have allowed more time to make a final decision on the season. Instead, we will start the season the same time as originally set, but then the rest of the games were changed. I don't know why they couldn't have kept the original schedule, with moving Wisconsin to a later date, and then just added in the 10th game against Minnesota.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
Not speculation. There is research that has raised this as a real concern. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

PURE speculation. NO ONE knows. I heard a epidemiologist from Columbia talking about this very thing less than two weeks ago. She said that just because you can not detect the antibodies does not mean that they are absent. IIRC there are T cells and A cells, both of which can simply turn off or in other words, go into hibernation until the virus is detected again at which time they turn on and do their job.

The study could very well be right but at this time the science is not conclusive either way. No one knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT