ADVERTISEMENT

Replayed the Iowa game

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019
Couple more/last thoughts.

1. Defense deserves a ton more credit. Easy to look at the 34-6 final and conclude the entire team didn't show up. I don't think that is the case. Offense was directly responsible for 14 points and Iowa converted a FG at the end of the half on a short field after a third Penix INT. Outside the long TD run on the 4th play of the game, Iowa only scored one offensive TD on a drive that was extended after a missed review on a 4th down conversion and a meaningless FG late. Granted Iowa really didn't have to dig deep into their playbook after being spotted such a big lead early, IU's defense essentially giving up 17 points, less than a 50% completion rate, and 33% third down conversion rate should have been plenty enough to allow the offense a chance to win. Offense failed. Miserably.

2. Offensive woes go much further than line play/Sheridan play calling unfortunately. Obviously the root of the problem is the line play, but Penix looked awful. Even on 3 step drops and quick hitting routes, Penix never looked comfortable. Has no touch on his passes and he threw almost everything off his back foot. Unfortunately I don't believe Penix is over the mental aspect coming back from his most recent ACL tear. Line play is what it is at this point, but there's 11 games left in the season and this team is going nowhere if it turns the ball over that many times and completes such a low percentage of passes. If Penix can't overcome the mental aspect of stepping into throws he shouldn't be out there. Outside of Cincinnati and Ohio State who have juggernaut offenses, defense is good enough to keep this team in games so long as the quartback can mange the game and keep drives rolling without turning the ball over. Penix needs to show a ton Saturday.

3. Preparedness. Iowa flat outplayed and outcoached IU from the start. That falls solely on Tom Allen. This isn't a fire Tom Allen rant at all, but all this rah-rah and #LEO talk is only going to take IU so far going forward. Iowa didn't play all that well in my opinion, especially on the offensive side of the ball, but outplayed Indiana in every phase of the game and really did it without breaking a sweat. Season is far from over and there's plenty of opportunities left at marquee wins starting with Cincy on 9/18, but fail to show up against the Bearcats will erase a ton of momentum that has been built the last 12-18 months.

Thanks for the report.
I couldn't watch it live, recorded it and then after seeing the score, erased it!
Nice to read a honest evaluation.

If Penix doesn't show up against Idaho, it's Tuttle, or my preferred choice, McCulley. I'd rather Penix make this a moot point and throw for 300 yards Saturday.

Penix will be just fine, assuming he stays healthy. He's proven that he is an excellent QB. He's been out nearly a year after another significant knee injury. Players don't just immediately snap back to their old selves after these injuries. People forget that the mental side often takes longer to recover than the physical. It's gonna take him a few games to get his feel for live action back.

Penix will be just fine, assuming he stays healthy. He's proven that he is an excellent QB. He's been out nearly a year after another significant knee injury. Players don't just immediately snap back to their old selves after these injuries. People forget that the mental side often takes longer to recover than the physical. It's gonna take him a few games to get his feel for live action back.
Not sure IU can afford a few games for Penix to get back to his ready self, primarily because there's no guarantee it happens. Not saying the outcome changes, but it's a much different ballgame Saturday without the three first half INT's.

If there was only a single positive to MP's performance Saturday, it was nice to see that he was able to take some hits and get right back up, whether it was on an option toss or getting a ball out on a pass.

Reactions: Bowlmania
If there was only a single positive to MP's performance Saturday, it was nice to see that he was able to take some hits and get right back up, whether it was on an option toss or getting a ball out on a pass.
He was pummeled on that option play, but that's the way to do it - - getting rid of the ball at the last millisecond. That might have been the offensive highlight for me on a day when there were very few.

Reactions: Chriselli
MP may very well not be ready to play only 9 months post surgery. An ACL tear is a 9-15 month recovery. Not everyone is Adrian Peterson and can dang near break the NFL rushing record 9 months after tearing an ACL.

MP may very well not be ready to play only 9 months post surgery. An ACL tear is a 9-15 month recovery. Not everyone is Adrian Peterson and can dang near break the NFL rushing record 9 months after tearing an ACL.
Definitely not a type of injury that can be rushed. I remember when that was a 1.5 year injury minimum. A lot of guys never came back.

Reactions: Sir_Saucy
Not sure IU can afford a few games for Penix to get back to his ready self, primarily because there's no guarantee it happens. Not saying the outcome changes, but it's a much different ballgame Saturday without the three first half INT's.
Except for late in the 4th quarter and OT, Penix looked tentative and out of sync in the opener last year against Penn State. He played much better the following week at Rutgers and had a big game against Michigan in Week 3.

He didn't play well last Saturday but, long term, he's hardly the problem. He's our best QB in decades, and a game-changing player. It's the supporting cast that needs to step up.

Except for late in the 4th quarter and OT, Penix looked tentative and out of sync in the opener last year against Penn State. He played much better the following week at Rutgers and had a big game against Michigan in Week 3.

He didn't play well last Saturday but, long term, he's hardly the problem. He's our best QB in decades, and a game-changing player. It's the supporting cast that needs to step up.
Agreed but he's been around long enough and it's unacceptable to have those kinds of turnovers and have mechanics be as bad as they were Saturday. He's lucky he only had 3 INT's. That very easily could have been a 5-6 INT game if the Iowa DB's didn't drop some.

Offense - by possession

Jones moved to LT - Haggard

1 - mistake - pick 6 when ball goes through DJ Matthews hands on his first target at IU, after slipping on the turf

2 - mistake - Penix doesn’t see wide open Matthews - underneath pass to Hendershot gets 2. Then mistake - false start on Jones gives us 2nd and 13. Then 2 hurries - a stunt and a delayed blitz - and we punt.

3 - 9 plays - stall - poor pass - get a FG.

Monster hurt.

4 - mistake - stuffed run loses 3 after unblocked LB is missed by Powell. Then mistake false start by Jones - 3rd and 18. Punt.

5 - bad call PI by Buckley - 1st and 25. Punt.

6 - keeper and slide by Penix to avoid hit. Loss of 1. 6 plays. Punt.

7 - we recover a fumble, then mistake wrong route by Buckley and mistake pass by Penix - pick 6.

8 - second play - Penix on the run - throws to Ervin-Poinfexter who is blocking and has back turned - pick number 3

halftime 31 - 3

9 - we get sacked but get a FG

10 - pick but penalty gives us the ball back - punt

11 - 3 and out

fittingly, at this point, the play-by-play report (which also does not include the score this year for some reason) gets screwed up and reports wrong possession and names.

12 - Tuttle in - 3 and out

13 - we get a fumble but 3 and out. Punt on 4th and 2, then use TO’s to ice a FG?

14 - run out clock.

just a early mess that took us out and no way to get back in it against a really good defense

If Jones can move back to RT maybe the OL gets better.

Beat Idaho - execute - move on

Agreed but he's been around long enough and it's unacceptable to have those kinds of turnovers and have mechanics be as bad as they were Saturday. He's lucky he only had 3 INT's. That very easily could have been a 5-6 INT game if the Iowa DB's didn't drop some.
I'm not defending his play Saturday. He had a terrible game. But that happens, even to the best. Justin Fields had an ugly game against us last season. The GOAT, in a Super Bowl season, threw three picks and had a 40.4 passer rating in a Sunday Night Football 38-3 blowout loss to the Saints last year.

Geez, coach. Ease up on the guy. He's not the problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe this is mental, maybe concentration, maybe just not knowing how to move in the pocket (?) to get enough space to release the ball with an effective stride or maybe the OL problems are so bad, he just will never have the time or space to properly release it. If he were more mobile, some of these problems would be less apparent, but right now he isn't very mobile either. His footwork was bad most of last season. He had a good game against Michigan and against tOSU, Other games mediocre, look at three quarters of Penn State, or Maryland before he got hurt. He threw two picks early against MSU, bad mechanics on both as well as several other throws where he got away with it due to to arm strength.

I think Penix has great natural ability, zero doubt of that, as well as instinctually knowing, most of the time, where to direct the throw and reads defenses pretty well. But any NFL scout would say his footwork is a mess, definitely not NFL caliber, and his accuracy suffers tremendously because of it. Last year, while he was a a different QB in skill set, he was very competitive with Justin Fields, at least in that game, but even then there were some throws he made that were questionable. the pick being the most notable. I hope for the best and expect that he will improve, but the questions are when and how much.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe this is mental, maybe concentration, maybe just not knowing how to move in the pocket (?) to get enough space to release the ball with an effective stride or maybe the OL problems are so bad, he just will never have the time or space to properly release it. If he were more mobile, some of these problems would be less apparent, but right now he isn't very mobile either. His footwork was bad most of last season. He had a good game against Michigan and against tOSU, Other games mediocre, look at three quarters of Penn State, or Maryland before he got hurt. He threw two picks early against MSU, bad mechanics on both as well as several other throws where he got away with it due to to arm strength.

I think Penix has great natural ability, zero doubt of that, as well as instinctually knowing, most of the time, where to direct the throw and reads defenses pretty well. But any NFL scout would say his footwork is a mess, definitely not NFL caliber, and his accuracy suffers tremendously because of it. Last year, while he was a a different QB in skill set, he was very competitive with Justin Fields, at least in that game, but even then there were some throws he made that were questionable. the pick being the most notable. I hope for the best and expect that he will improve, but the questions are when and how much.
Omg. The guy is 10-3 as a starter. At Indiana. With an offensive line that was rated last year among the worst - - in pass protection - - in college football. Coming into this season, Pro Football Focus (a resource that all NFL teams and most college football teams subscribe to) rated him the 5th best QB in the country.

Some of you guys are, um, uninformed or not thinking clearly.

Omg. The guy is 10-3 as a starter. At Indiana. With an offensive line that was rated last year among the worst - - in pass protection - - in college football. Coming into this season, Pro Football Focus (a resource that all NFL teams and most college football teams subscribe to) rated him the 5th best QB in the country.

Some of you guys are, um, uninformed or not thinking clearly.

IU isn’t going to win many, if any games going forward if they get the same kind of production they got from Penix. No other way to put it. He wasn’t the only problem Saturday, but a big reason and a player of his caliber and experience isn’t above criticism.

Biggest hurdle he’s going to have to get over is his own lingering fear of his knees. Think of all the times Peyton Ramsey extended drives due to scrambles. Our offense requires that. If MP cannot run out of pressure, he does us no good. A QB has to have an ability to scramble in games. If he just resorts to desperately flinging the ball when he has open real estate, we cannot continue to ride that all season.

Every game played is different if you dont turn the ball over LOL

IU isn’t going to win many, if any games going forward if they get the same kind of production they got from Penix.
And there you have it, folks. We're looking at a possible 0-12 season, and all because of Penix. That's got me wondering, though; how the heck has he managed to win 10 of his 13 starts in an IU uniform?

And there you have it, folks. We're looking at a possible 0-12 season, and all because of Penix. That's got me wondering, though, how the heck has he managed to win 10 of his 13 starts in an IU uniform?

Penix has yet to beat a team with a winning record. He’s beaten up on a ton of out of conference opponents. He’s played particularly well in 3 B10 games, MSU in 2019, Michigan and Ohio State last year. He’s 1-2 in those games. If Penix plays the way he did Saturday, how many games do you foresee IU winning this year outside of WKU and Idaho? Just be glad that Iowa struggled offensively because that game could have very easily been a 40-50 point blowout. IU won’t beat a P5 opponent this year if Penix played the way he did Saturday.

Reactions: Seyton
And there you have it, folks. We're looking at a possible 0-12 season, and all because of Penix. That's got me wondering, though; how the heck has he managed to win 10 of his 13 starts in an IU uniform?
I think at least part of the problem is the timeline post injury. His 2018 ACL occurred mid Oct and while he started the first game of 2019 (threw 2 INTs against a not that good Ball State) he didn't have good game against a good team until week 5. His 2020 ACL occurred late Nov (about 6 weeks later in the season) meaning his summer reps and conditioning are likely behind where they were when he got off to a slow start to the season

Reactions: Bowlmania
I think at least part of the problem is the timeline post injury. His 2018 ACL occurred mid Oct and while he started the first game of 2019 (threw 2 INTs against a not that good Ball State) he didn't have good game against a good team until week 5. His 2020 ACL occurred late Nov (about 6 weeks later in the season) meaning his summer reps and conditioning are likely behind where they were when he got off to a slow start to the season
He had to have been medically cleared but, you're right, maybe the late season injury in 2020 means he's not fully ready.

It would be nice if we could take control of Saturday's game early and perhaps let him sit for much of the second half. If we can't put this team away, we're in trouble.

He had to have been medically cleared but, you're right, maybe the late season injury in 2020 means he's not fully ready.

It would be nice if we could take control of Saturday's game early and perhaps let him sit for much of the second half. If we can't put this team away, we're in trouble.
Yeah, I have no doubt he's been medically cleared to play, just that that clearance likely happened right before fall camp this year, whereas with his previous ACL injury he likely had at least a month more of summer workouts to shake some of the rust off which wasn't fully off until several weeks into the season

"We talking about practice"

Game time is "show me" - and we didn't

Next game, we'll shut up and play - or suffer again.

The Petrino's know the game. Bobby had the ball in the red-zone under 2 minutes to tie Oklahoma State, and Paul just put up 68 against a Canadian D-2 team.

We will need to keep a foot on their neck until dead - he will do ANYTHING to win this game.

And "surly" doesn't BEGIN to describe him.

Reactions: 76-1
I completely agree with your analysis on what the problems were, outside of a slow start the defense played well. I am really curious to see how our defense would've played had those two Pick sixes been incompletions. I don't think the offense would ever have gotten going, so we definitely would have lost. But IMO the defense gave up 13 points, their 3rd touchdown was not a touchdown in my book, I've looked at the replay like 20 times, he was short on that 4th down, ridiculous they didn't review that but I digress. We didn't even see Iowa's real offense in the second half, their starters were in, but they were just trying to run the clock out. Overall, the defense did exactly as expected in the one half Iowa was trying to score, not just run out the clock and if the offense had played (A LOT) better we could've had a real game.

Speaking of the offense, those pick sixes were just the tip of the iceberg. Honestly those two plays were not what impressed me about Iowa's defense, they were a tipped ball and an IU player not knowing his route, Iowa just took advantage of luck and horrible preparation. Iowa's inexperienced defensive line dominated our O-line, as I've said many times Hiller needs to be let go, but I won't get into that now. Play calling was an issue obviously, because there weren't any open receivers, but a tip of the cap to Iowa's secondary, that is a phenomenal unit and a great defense overall, very well prepared.

As for Penix, I was always nervous about this game because coming off an injury as serious as a torn ACL, there's no way your going to be in midseason form, and due to some issues out of his control he never got comfortable and by the time the O-line slightly shaped up, Penix was rushing all of his throws and making errors that WERE his fault. I think if the we had Idaho before Iowa, it would've done wonders for Penix's confidence and his comfort level. If anyone watched the FSU-ND game, I think the fact that FSU was opening with Notre Dame was the reason they didn't start Mckenzie Milton, I am guessing the plan was for him to start the next week against Florida A&M to get him comfortable. I am not saying we should've started Tuttle but it is really too bad we had to open on the road against top 3 B1G defense, Penix needed a good start and we got the exact opposite. Assuming he is able to get it going against Idaho I think he'll be alright the rest of the year but we will just see.

As for Penix, I was always nervous about this game because coming off an injury as serious as a torn ACL, there's no way your going to be in midseason form, and due to some issues out of his control he never got comfortable and by the time the O-line slightly shaped up, Penix was rushing all of his throws and making errors that WERE his fault. I think if the we had Idaho before Iowa, it would've done wonders for Penix's confidence and his comfort level. If anyone watched the FSU-ND game, I think the fact that FSU was opening with Notre Dame was the reason they didn't start Mckenzie Milton, I am guessing the plan was for him to start the next week against Florida A&M to get him comfortable. I am not saying we should've started Tuttle but it is really too bad we had to open on the road against top 3 B1G defense, Penix needed a good start and we got the exact opposite. Assuming he is able to get it going against Idaho I think he'll be alright the rest of the year but we will just see.
Honestly, with the halftime score being 31-3, I would have given Penix one possession to lead a scoring drive after half and if not successful would have gone with Tuttle the remainder of the game. And not because I want or think their needs to be a QB controversy, but just a reset helps the mental capacity.

I completely agree with your analysis on what the problems were, outside of a slow start the defense played well. I am really curious to see how our defense would've played had those two Pick sixes been incompletions. I don't think the offense would ever have gotten going, so we definitely would have lost. But IMO the defense gave up 13 points, their 3rd touchdown was not a touchdown in my book, I've looked at the replay like 20 times, he was short on that 4th down, ridiculous they didn't review that but I digress. We didn't even see Iowa's real offense in the second half, their starters were in, but they were just trying to run the clock out. Overall, the defense did exactly as expected in the one half Iowa was trying to score, not just run out the clock and if the offense had played (A LOT) better we could've had a real game.

Speaking of the offense, those pick sixes were just the tip of the iceberg. Honestly those two plays were not what impressed me about Iowa's defense, they were a tipped ball and an IU player not knowing his route, Iowa just took advantage of luck and horrible preparation. Iowa's inexperienced defensive line dominated our O-line, as I've said many times Hiller needs to be let go, but I won't get into that now. Play calling was an issue obviously, because there weren't any open receivers, but a tip of the cap to Iowa's secondary, that is a phenomenal unit and a great defense overall, very well prepared.

I would've loved to have played Idaho last week and Iowa this week. You are on the money about MP needing a tune-up game before Iowa. He was clearly not ready to play against Iowa.

I think Penix has the "right ego" to know he played poorly, come back and light up Idaho and then be more accurately ready for Cinci and beyond. His footwork doesn't always seem crisp, and he's had rocky games before too. But he also has talent that can do what he did against OSU last year and when he plays like that, they can beat anyone, and I say that because I believe the IU Defense is extremely bend, don't break, and can keep IU in almost any game if the offense is playing respectably.

Couple more/last thoughts.

1. Defense deserves a ton more credit. Easy to look at the 34-6 final and conclude the entire team didn't show up. I don't think that is the case. Offense was directly responsible for 14 points and Iowa converted a FG at the end of the half on a short field after a third Penix INT. Outside the long TD run on the 4th play of the game, Iowa only scored one offensive TD on a drive that was extended after a missed review on a 4th down conversion and a meaningless FG late. Granted Iowa really didn't have to dig deep into their playbook after being spotted such a big lead early, IU's defense essentially giving up 17 points, less than a 50% completion rate, and 33% third down conversion rate should have been plenty enough to allow the offense a chance to win. Offense failed. Miserably.

2. Offensive woes go much further than line play/Sheridan play calling unfortunately. Obviously the root of the problem is the line play, but Penix looked awful. Even on 3 step drops and quick hitting routes, Penix never looked comfortable. Has no touch on his passes and he threw almost everything off his back foot. Unfortunately I don't believe Penix is over the mental aspect coming back from his most recent ACL tear. Line play is what it is at this point, but there's 11 games left in the season and this team is going nowhere if it turns the ball over that many times and completes such a low percentage of passes. If Penix can't overcome the mental aspect of stepping into throws he shouldn't be out there. Outside of Cincinnati and Ohio State who have juggernaut offenses, defense is good enough to keep this team in games so long as the quartback can mange the game and keep drives rolling without turning the ball over. Penix needs to show a ton Saturday.

3. Preparedness. Iowa flat outplayed and outcoached IU from the start. That falls solely on Tom Allen. This isn't a fire Tom Allen rant at all, but all this rah-rah and #LEO talk is only going to take IU so far going forward. Iowa didn't play all that well in my opinion, especially on the offensive side of the ball, but outplayed Indiana in every phase of the game and really did it without breaking a sweat. Season is far from over and there's plenty of opportunities left at marquee wins starting with Cincy on 9/18, but fail to show up against the Bearcats will erase a ton of momentum that has been built the last 12-18 months.
I certainly agree that the crux of the problem is the O line play. I also noticed that Pennix seemed to be throwing off of his back foot. And as bad as he looked, the recievers didn't seem to be getting open.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT