ADVERTISEMENT

Religion does do some good in the world. Link

Democrats: Why would evangelicals support a crass guy who does not live a very chaste life and appears to live a life in opposition to Christian teaching when they could pick a Democrat.

This thread: This is why.

Throw out all of the positions that conservative religious people would have a problem with the Democrats and just boil it down to attitude. Many of you all can claim that you are not a bunch of religious bigots but your statements say something different.

Democrats: Why would evangelicals support a crass guy who does not live a very chaste life and appears to live a life in opposition to Christian teaching when they could pick a Democrat.

What Democrats are saying that?

Dumb post.

This thread: This is why.

Throw out all of the positions that conservative religious people would have a problem with the Democrats and just boil it down to attitude. Many of you all can claim that you are not a bunch of religious bigots but your statements say something different.
The essential point that you seemingly make over and over is that injustices that you perceive on the part of liberals and democrats justify injustices on the part of evangelicals and Trump supporters. It is an emotionally appealing position but I wonder if you really endorse it? If you do, then can't the bigotry you perceive among some here be justified on exactly the principle you use to justify bigotry on the right? I would think if we buy your position then we should excuse every form of bigotry as simply the natural and appropriate response to perceived bigotry by others. I would think that you and I would agree that we should reject this principle.

What Democrats are saying that?

Dumb post.

Given how intimate you are with dumb posts that almost gave me pause...

But as far as those asking those types of questions (or really just using that line of thought as another vehicle to attack Evangelicals in particular), you may have missed the multiple page thread just down this page.

Try scrolling.

The essential point that you seemingly make over and over is that injustices that you perceive on the part of liberals and democrats justify injustices on the part of evangelicals and Trump supporters. It is an emotionally appealing position but I wonder if you really endorse it? If you do, then can't the bigotry you perceive among some here be justified on exactly the principle you use to justify bigotry on the right? I would think if we buy your position then we should excuse every form of bigotry as simply the natural and appropriate response to perceived bigotry by others. I would think that you and I would agree that we should reject this principle.

No, first I reject all of that "Trump is a racist" crap. So this is not about Evangelicals or other conservative, religious people who voted for Trump, embracing one form of bigotry because of the bigotry directed at them. Instead it is saying that the Democrats have nothing to offer conservative Evangelicals. They are opposed on most of the large cultural touchpoints, they embrace an economic system that is usually followed by a government that oppresses religious individuals, and ridicule.

So I won't do anything you want politically and socially and I treat you like crap...but vote for me. Good luck with that.

Given how intimate you are with dumb posts that almost gave me pause...

But as far as those asking those types of questions (or really just using that line of thought as another vehicle to attack Evangelicals in particular), you may have missed the multiple page thread just down this page.

Try scrolling.
Oh, ok so you don't have an example of any Dems saying in effect: "Why would evangelicals support a crass guy who does not live a very chaste life and appears to live a life in opposition to Christian teaching when they could pick a Democrat."

Got it.

And, no, I didn't miss that thread - I was fairly active in it. Try scrolling.

No, first I reject all of that "Trump is a racist" crap. So this is not about Evangelicals or other conservative, religious people who voted for Trump, embracing one form of bigotry because of the bigotry directed at them. Instead it is saying that the Democrats have nothing to offer conservative Evangelicals. They are opposed on most of the large cultural touchpoints, they embrace an economic system that is usually followed by a government that oppresses religious individuals, and ridicule.

So I won't do anything you want politically and socially and I treat you like crap...but vote for me. Good luck with that.
You reject the Trump is a racist crap? So first of all, let’s start with you reject facts. Not much to go with after that. If you can’t admit the fact that Trump is a racist, then you don’t live in reality. He has proven this time and time again his entire life. He still employs Steven Miller , in the WH, for heavens sake. But right, he’s not a racist. And the world isn’t round....

Or, you know, pick a sane republican so we could go back to disagreeing on policy instead of worrying about a corrupt buffoon. You had plenty of non-racist, non-idiot choices who much more closely match what evangelicals say they want the last time around and you chose Trump. Whether or not you want to blame that on liberals being mean to you, that's a choice the right owns.

Democrats: Why would evangelicals support a crass guy who does not live a very chaste life and appears to live a life in opposition to Christian teaching when they could pick a rational, ethical Republican that isn't a cruel, inept buffoon?.
That's the question, not the false dichotomy you posted.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
That's the question, not the false dichotomy you posted.

You apparently do not understand how a primary works.

An analysis of Republican and Republican-leaning registered voters at three points over a roughly five month period shows that by April, Trump was the preferred nominee of just 34% of those who attend religious services weekly, including 15% who had been steady supporters (i.e., had consistently supported him across the three separate surveys in December 2015, March 2016 and April 2016). Two-thirds of regular churchgoing Republicans were not supporting Trump for the GOP nomination even in April. This includes 57% who were Trump “skeptics,” having not expressed support for Trump as the GOP nominee in any of the three surveys conducted mainly online among participants in the Pew Research Center’s American Trends Panel between December and April.
He was not an overwhelming choice among Evangelicals in the primary. They preferred one of the other candidates. Support did not coalesce behind him until it became a choice between him and his policies and Clinton and her policies.

Frankly, many of you are not only in opposition to many of the items that Evangelicals tend to find important but you also have the cherry on top that you are dicks. So why would they vote for the people you support?

I keep waiting for exactly how the Democrats are infringing of Christians religious freedom. I have not received a single response. I’ll say it again, I’m a straight, white, catholic who attends mass weekly. I have no idea what you evangelicals are talking about.

Reactions: RBB89
I keep waiting for exactly how the Democrats are infringing of Christians religious freedom. I have not received a single response. I’ll say it again, I’m a straight, white, catholic who attends mass weekly. I have no idea what you evangelicals are talking about.
Dems are infringing on their religious freedom to impose their religious values on others. Duh.

Yeah I’m in the same boat as you. Catholic, go to mass weekly. How am I being infringed upon? @VanPastorMan ???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT