ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding AD search

This entire post is bullshit.

Sponsorship was pulled before announcement, but it’s true. Everyone knew the decision when Fred announced. Just look for what company is not on the screens/scoreboards/programs ect.

Sorry you’re taking this so personallly, but everyone in the Varsity Club knows Scott. Good dude, but this was a bad decision.

Sponsorship was pulled before announcement, but it’s true. Everyone knew the decision when Fred announced. Just look for what company is not on the screens/scoreboards/programs ect.

Sorry you’re taking this so personallly, but everyone in the Varsity Club knows Scott. Good dude, but this was a bad decision.

i really don’t understand why any criticism of IU leads a few posters here to take things so personally.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Not taking anything personally. I have no dog in the fight. But I still call bullshit that a corporate sponsor pulled out because it didn't like the AD pick. If it did happen (and since you are reporting it as gospel) why not just name the company since we'll know it eventually anyway. Or could it be that this was a business decision that had nothing to do with the AD hire (again, IF it did happen)

i really don’t understand why any criticism of IU leads a few posters here to take things so personally.
Maybe because posts like this are not criticism. They are not defended with any credible facts, making them speculation at best and outright lies at worst. Responsible people don't post damning content without evidence to support the post. Without evidence to support a statement that a major sponsor is pulling $ in protest of the AD hire, the post is nothing more than an attempted smear. Big difference between "fake news" and criticism.

So you’re now claiming:
  1. the search was a sham.
  2. The decision to hire Dolson was predetermined.
  3. The vendor knew it was predetermined but nobody else knew.
  4. And you knew. Of course.
Deluxe story!

Reactions: Radio Zero
Regarding sponsor who pulls, someone else will step in and advertise. They may even be a better sponsor who's actually excited about the sponsorship and not an entitled sponsor who wants to help run things. No worries.
Regarding the "Yes" man references, In many cases the when the "Yes Sir" guy becomes the "Sir" they have new found freedom to be themselves and determine their own agenda instead of supporting someone else's.
I'm guessing we'll see an evolution. Getting $700K for a football strength guy is a great start.
Go Hoosiers!

True, someone else will step in (not taking into account the 9000+ Dow drop). The decision wasn’t about the AD pick exactly, it was just the straw that broke the back. The return just isn’t worth the investment any longer, and it’s obvious that’s not going to change. As for making it public, there’s more to it than that, which I would assume any educated person would understand. On a side note, Smithville would never pull, Bloomington market is their wheelhouse, great return for them. National brands have to focus on a much larger consumer segment...obviously.

So you’re now claiming:
  1. the search was a sham.
  2. The decision to hire Dolson was predetermined.
  3. The vendor knew it was predetermined but nobody else knew.
  4. And you knew. Of course.
Deluxe story!

This was the easy button of hires. The search committee was practically his roommates. I hope this hire doesn’t bite them in the ass.

Reactions: dirtyernie76
Look at the two most successful AD's over the last 25 years; Jeremy Foley and Tom Jurich. What hiring experience did Jeremy Foley have before he was promoted from the same position that Scot Dolson was recently promoted from? How many years experience did he have at another university? How many other P5 schools were beating down his door? It's completely irrelevant to the task?

Tom Jurich was the athletic director at Northern Freaking Arizona before coming to Louisville where he quickly built Louisville into one the premier athletic programs in the country. You think all that experience in Flagstaff AZ was paramount to his success at Louisville? Hiring coaches is about the easiest task an AD is faced with. It ain't rocket science. Hell Fred Glass had zero experience and somehow managed to hire the best college soccer coach in the country, a women's coach in Teri Moen who has the women's program as good as its ever been, and three consecutive phenomenal baseball hires. Tom Allen just won the most games in a season since the early 90s. Not shabby for someone who doesn't know what he's doing. And that doesn't include doubling the revenue generated by the athletic department from his hiring date, many of the projects that Dolson oversaw.

His alumni status helps, I'm not debating that. But it's not like they hired an alumnus off the street without an inkling clue to the working athletic department at Indiana. He's been a part of it for 30 years.
"best college soccer coach in country" is debatable, and Fred Glass did not hire Tracy Smith (who made the baseball program what it is), just as he did not hire Ray Looze (who rejuvenated the swimming/diving program).

I would've preferred Kraft myself, but I also expected Dolson all along. And IMO the "pandemic/continuity" argument is a rationale by the search committee to justify what they had in mind the whole time, coronavirus or not. So be it, we'll see if it works out.

If nothing else, I'd hope Dolson might now be proactively aggressive about finding some $$$ to renovate/replace Mellencamp and, yes, get a separate football training/lifting facility. Those things matter in the recruiting world, whether folks want to believe it or not.

In regards to sponsors wanting a “say” is ridiculous. Sponsors at the discussed level aren’t asked their opinion, nor do they offer (that I’m aware of), and it would no way effect what the top brass decides. The sponsors that may have sway, are well beyond a 500k/yr level.

Regarding sponsor who pulls, someone else will step in and advertise. They may even be a better sponsor who's actually excited about the sponsorship and not an entitled sponsor who wants to help run things. No worries.
Regarding the "Yes" man references, In many cases the when the "Yes Sir" guy becomes the "Sir" they have new found freedom to be themselves and determine their own agenda instead of supporting someone else's.
I'm guessing we'll see an evolution. Getting $700K for a football strength guy is a great start.
Go Hoosiers!

New sponsor is now on board:

IsaacIsaacHammerCreative.jpg

It’s Hammer Time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT