ADVERTISEMENT

Refs

Nov 29, 2016
Just saw an IU fan on FB blaming the loss on the refs. I am admittedly a biased UT fan, but I don’t remember their being any controversial calls/missed calls. What did I miss?

Just saw an IU fan on FB blaming the loss on the refs. I am admittedly a biased UT fan, but I don’t remember their being any controversial calls/missed calls. What did I miss?
Someone will always blame the refs for a loss.
Every fan base has them and it drives me nuts.
We live in an age where we want to blame others when things don’t go our way.
It was a close,entertaining game that could have gone either way.
Both teams had chances to put it away,there is a reason why one team had 4 losses and the other 5 losses.

The refs did not cause IU to gag a game up...IU did. There were some calls the IU faithful did not like including the OSK touch and the PI late were among them as well as the first INT that was trapped on the ground.

But this loss is on IU.

Reactions: midwolfe
You didn't miss anything. The only thing I saw was a few times on QB slides the placement of the ball seemed to be short. Other than that nothing else.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
I didn't see any obvious blatantly blown calls either way. The only thing I will ding the refs for was the delay in starting play before Justus' final field goal attempt. Not sure what was going on, but if it was an issue with the play clock that shouldn't happen on the first play following a full time out.

Reactions: baileyiu

I am a Vol fan that was at the game, and possibly could've been blaming the onside kick call.

I was talking to an Indiana fan on the way back to the car after the game and they insisted the onside didn't go 10 yards before we touched it. I didn't really argue it because the stadium repeatedly showed only one angle which was behind Eric Gray's back so you could only see his back and it appeared that the ball possibly could've been touched before ten yards.

However, you couldn't actually see him touch it. For some reason they refused to show any other angle in the stadium. After I got to the hotel I rewatched it and the other angles appeared that he indeed did touch it only after it went 10 yards. Otherwise I'm not sure what bad calls there were unless they wanted a penalty when our guy suplexed one of theirs on a tackle.

I am a Vol fan that was at the game, and possibly could've been blaming the onside kick call.

I was talking to an Indiana fan on the way back to the car after the game and they insisted the onside didn't go 10 yards before we touched it. I didn't really argue it because the stadium repeatedly showed only one angle which was behind Eric Gray's back so you could only see his back and it appeared that the ball possibly could've been touched before ten yards.

However, you couldn't actually see him touch it. For some reason they refused to show any other angle in the stadium. After I got to the hotel I rewatched it and the other angles appeared that he indeed did touch it only after it went 10 yards. Otherwise I'm not sure what bad calls there were unless they wanted a penalty when our guy suplexed one of theirs on a tackle.

Yep I posted earlier that it was impossible to tell from the replay at the game, but now I see it was played perfectly. The only call I didn't like was the PI late. IU gagged the game up. Refs played no role.

Reactions: Shocker0
Yep I posted earlier that it was impossible to tell from the replay at the game, but now I see it was played perfectly. The only call I didn't like was the PI late. IU gagged the game up. Refs played no role.

Yeah if you're talking about the holding in the end zone I definitely didn't notice it in the game and was wondering why the flag came out. I also watched it on the broadcast version after the game and it did look like a decent call from there (although in that situation most refs probably don't throw the flag). During the game I didn't really see what the call was for though.

I had no complaint about the refs. There were a couple calls I thought were iffy, but nothing that really influenced the game. Kudos to them for catching the snap infraction near the end.

Plus I'm 95% sure one of the crew was on the elevator with me at the hotel before the game. He was definitely in referee pants.

Reactions: red hornet
The holding call late in the game definitely impacted the game, big time. Without that flag, I'd wager huge money that Indiana wins. Terrible call and it breathed life into Tennessee's comeback bid.

Calls like that make or break a team. The other missed call, when Tennessee body slammed our WR, wasn't nearly as impactful as the 3rd and 10 holding call that basically won the game for Tennessee.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
That holding on 3rd and 10 was a joke. Horrible call. But we didn’t protect for an onside kick so this game is on IUs coaching staff 100%.

It is pretty funny to hear Hoosier fan talk like they know what told to players and was not told. I am pretty sure they were told to be aware of onside kick however the alignment is still a mystery.
As far as officials though thought they did a good job did question why the umpire stood over the ball before the timeout and again after the timeout.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
ADVERTISEMENT