ADVERTISEMENT

Reframing this loss

IUNY

Freshman
Sep 8, 2013
Although this was really painful, and next season we'll have to listen to announcers say "the Hoosiers haven't won a bowl game since 1991," what is really most important in measuring progress is that we beat one of these three teams: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. I took Michigan State off the list. We can substitute the Spartans with Wisconsin (ouch). Many of you will recall Wisky putting up 80 on us in Camp Randall several years ago.

If IU doesn't beat MSU at home next year it will be a bad loss, imo.

I think it was a bad loss THIS year. We are better than MSU but couldn't stop them somehow and then couldn't put up enough points.

Although this was really painful, and next season we'll have to listen to announcers say "the Hoosiers haven't won a bowl game since 1991," what is really most important in measuring progress is that we beat one of these three teams: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. I took Michigan State off the list. We can substitute the Spartans with Wisconsin (ouch). Many of you will recall Wisky putting up 80 on us in Camp Randall several years ago.

We won't beat OSU, Michigan, PSU or Wisconsin.

In all likelihood we'll beat WKU, BSU, U CONN, MD, RU & Illinois. Losing to MD at home is possible but seems unlikely. So that's 6-4 for those games.

The key games will be at MSU & Purdue at home. Win those & we're 8-4. Then give me a nice ACC or Big 12 team for the bowl.

We won't beat OSU, Michigan, PSU or Wisconsin.

In all likelihood we'll beat WKU, BSU, U CONN, MD, RU & Illinois. Losing to MD at home is possible but seems unlikely. So that's 6-4 for those games.

The key games will be at MSU & Purdue at home. Win those & we're 8-4. Then give me a nice ACC or Big 12 team for the bowl.

The PSU games have been too close lately to pre-emptively mark as losses, IMO.

Wiscy is going to be a big wild card. First game of the year and with a new OC. I wouldn't be stunned by an IU win. Think back a couple of years to the Ohio State opener. Had them on the ropes, just ran out of gas (and Dobbins was a stud). Can't pencil it in as a win by any stretch, but not impossible.

Reactions: kobis18

Wiscy is going to be a big wild card. First game of the year and with a new OC. I wouldn't be stunned by an IU win. Think back a couple of years to the Ohio State opener. Had them on the ropes, just ran out of gas (and Dobbins was a stud). Can't pencil it in as a win by any stretch, but not impossible.

That was at home and we ended up losing by 20+. If Coan is the starter for Wisky again next year I like our chances.

I think it was a bad loss THIS year. We are better than MSU but couldn't stop them somehow and then couldn't put up enough points.

Yeah I don't disagree, but losing on the road to a roughly equal team is forgivable and happens to most teams. Frustrating as H-E-double hocky sticks tho

The OSU game wasn't at OSU. Big difference.

PSU and Wisconsin are winnable games next year.Depending on who Michigan loses early to the draft I wouldn’t write that one off just yet.

Reactions: kobis18
That was at home and we ended up losing by 20+. If Coan is the starter for Wisky again next year I like our chances.

Don't disagree with your points at all. My point was a week 1 game gave IU the chance to give OSU all they wanted for 2 1/2 quarters. Wk 1 big games are always weird when teams are basically trying out new starters. IU's advantage there is the sheer number of starters coming back in addition to guys who got a lot of snaps.

Reactions: ESalum86
Wisconsin will be tough, but if Johnathan Taylor enters the draft and doesn't return, I would find it hard to believe that whoever replaces him will be anywhere near as good, especially early in the season. Wisconsin doesn't have a dominant passing game, and their passing game isn't anywhere near as good when their running game stalls and they are forced to pass when they don't want to. In addition they graduate their two stud linebackers.

We have MSU at home and they will be starting a new quarterback for the first time in 4 years. Those factors should help.

Penn State at home is doable as long as the Officials don't swallow their whistles in a close game and decide to officiate the score and outcome rather than what happens on the field.

Reactions: CC Mac and kobis18
ADVERTISEMENT