ADVERTISEMENT

"Reframed Classics": Alternative to Cancel Culture?

I’d be all on board renaming Ft. Bragg to Ft. Powell or Ft. Davis. Bragg is arguably the most important installation in the force and it’s horribly named.

I think this is a good reminder that we often look at an issue differently based on our own depth of knowledge and familiarity with the subject. To you the renaming of Fort Bragg is reasonable, it's not just a pointless display of offense, it's a reasonable criticism. You have knowledge about the history of that name and about the context of that installation. Might be worth considering that on other subjects people have context that you don't and some of what you see as "woke" or "offense" is similar valid criticism that's worth listening to.

Your response is likely to be along the lines of it going to far and too broad and needing to stand up to wokeness before it takes over, but I'd rather you engage more like you did here on the merits of individual conversations than reflexively against anything you put in that category. I really value your input when you do make that effort.

I think this is a good reminder that we often look at an issue differently based on our own depth of knowledge and familiarity with the subject. To you the renaming of Fort Bragg is reasonable, it's not just a pointless display of offense, it's a reasonable criticism. You have knowledge about the history of that name and about the context of that installation. Might be worth considering that on other subjects people have context that you don't and some of what you see as "woke" or "offense" is similar valid criticism that's worth listening to.

Your response is likely to be along the lines of it going to far and too broad and needing to stand up to wokeness before it takes over, but I'd rather you engage more like you did here on the merits of individual conversations than reflexively against anything you put in that category. I really value your input when you do make that effort.
There are some posters whom warrant a thoughtful response and others that I should ignore but sometimes revert to playground insults. I’m looking at you, Grover (that’s not you).

movements to rename terribly named places like Ft. Lee or Ft. Bragg or Ft. Benning are lost in the noise of the greater Woke movement that cannot get out of its own way. People who don’t know about Benning or Bragg (everyone should know about Lee) have difficulty having a reasonable conversation with the same people that want to rename Abraham Lincoln School District and rightfully so.

I’ve said it many times here and it is absolutely true: when EVERYTHING is racist - then nothing is.

Look - I don’t care - to be honest I don’t care if there’s a disclaimer or whatever or not. It’s just another front in the Woke’s War. In my viewpoint, said war affects me very little. I’m a good human - I treat everybody with respect until they choose a path no longer warranting respect.

I did not respond to this part yet, but it is the answer. Just be a good person. Someone tells me they do not like being called something, it is easy enough to use different words.

There are some posters whom warrant a thoughtful response and others that I should ignore but sometimes revert to playground insults. I’m looking at you, Grover (that’s not you).

movements to rename terribly named places like Ft. Lee or Ft. Bragg or Ft. Benning are lost in the noise of the greater Woke movement that cannot get out of its own way. People who don’t know about Benning or Bragg (everyone should know about Lee) have difficulty having a reasonable conversation with the same people that want to rename Abraham Lincoln School District and rightfully so.

I’ve said it many times here and it is absolutely true: when EVERYTHING is racist - then nothing is.

And that's exactly the thing that gets in the way of your message. When everything is "everything is racist", we can't have reasonable conversations about the specifics. The two examples you gave, I have a feeling we'd agree on. There are some in the middle where we could have interesting conversations, it's a gray area and one that as a society we're feeling our way through which is a painful process. People who have demonstrably been harmed by policies or people in the past have a point that seeing that venerated is a constant reminder of that past harm. People who want to make sure we keep our history, respect it, and learn from it also have a point. There's a reasonable middle ground and we don't get to that by erasing history but we also don't get there by saying that overreach on these actions means nothing gets to be treated as actual harm.

And that's exactly the thing that gets in the way of your message. When everything is "everything is racist", we can't have reasonable conversations about the specifics. The two examples you gave, I have a feeling we'd agree on. There are some in the middle where we could have interesting conversations, it's a gray area and one that as a society we're feeling our way through which is a painful process. People who have demonstrably been harmed by policies or people in the past have a point that seeing that venerated is a constant reminder of that past harm. People who want to make sure we keep our history, respect it, and learn from it also have a point. There's a reasonable middle ground and we don't get to that by erasing history but we also don't get there by saying that overreach on these actions means nothing gets to be treated as actual harm.
We’re in violent agreement - meaning you think I’m arguing against you but I’m agreeing with you. Some folks can have a reasonable conversation about heritage v bad optics / problematic existence.

But too many folks will say “ah I’m done listening to you because you think everything white is racist.” These people are overreacting but their overreaction is borne from their Woke counterparts overreacting to everything too. I think a lot of conservatives give way on this issue and say “sure, there are a lot of problematic “symbols” that could use addressing”, but I don’t hear a lot of condemning the over-Woke from liberals. Of course we don’t because then you’d be labeled as a racist just like the conservatives are. The Woke power spreads like The Nothing - and it has to be stopped by your side.

I did not respond to this part yet, but it is the answer. Just be a good person. Someone tells me they do not like being called something, it is easy enough to use different words.
Agreed. I think the nuance of our disagreement is what constitutes offense taken by a single person or few vs a “monolithic group”. I think there are obvious things that would be offensive to a monolithic group that are easily handled at the macro level.

But a small group of people deciding that they’re “offended” at something not obvious doesn’t mean that Woke liberals should put their White Guilt Cloak on and mount their mighty steeds to rescue the fair group of maidens and ruin the life of the “offender.” But that’s what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT