ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirting Benefits?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Not sure the number of last year's FR class that played 4 games or less and hence, kept red-shirt status, but thinking it was north of 10 players wasn't it?

With all the FR who played last season and the RS FR, plus any/all upperclassmen returning, I could see IU having the potential to RS another 10-15 players next season (while hopefully getting some of them into up to 4 games for some experience too.)

Given how people transfer so much now, what is the sense of how player look at redshirting today? Are they highly open to it? See it as "a slap in the face"?

The old rule used to be, the more you could redshirt the better and just thinking of some of the OL guys who RS'd this year and where they are weight wise right now, it makes total sense. It also seems how IU could build a great program built for the long haul, combined with their stacking of great classes. Let the BEST FR who can crack the 2-deep play right away, and any others needed for rotational play within the 3-deep, so be it. But the more can avoid playing FR to give them an extra year, I'm for it and think next year may be the first year in a few years, where IU won't be "forced" to have to do so as they have in the past.

Not sure the number of last year's FR class that played 4 games or less and hence, kept red-shirt status, but thinking it was north of 10 players wasn't it?

With all the FR who played last season and the RS FR, plus any/all upperclassmen returning, I could see IU having the potential to RS another 10-15 players next season (while hopefully getting some of them into up to 4 games for some experience too.)

Given how people transfer so much now, what is the sense of how player look at redshirting today? Are they highly open to it? See it as "a slap in the face"?

The old rule used to be, the more you could redshirt the better and just thinking of some of the OL guys who RS'd this year and where they are weight wise right now, it makes total sense. It also seems how IU could build a great program built for the long haul, combined with their stacking of great classes. Let the BEST FR who can crack the 2-deep play right away, and any others needed for rotational play within the 3-deep, so be it. But the more can avoid playing FR to give them an extra year, I'm for it and think next year may be the first year in a few years, where IU won't be "forced" to have to do so as they have in the past.
We had 10 play more than 4 games:

RB Stevie Scott (12 games):

ATH Reese Taylor (12 games):

DB Jaylin Williams (12 games):

LB Micah McFadden (12 games):

TE Matt Bjorson (12 games):

DE James Head (11 games):

Husky Cam Jones (11 games):

S Jamar Johnson (10 games):

S Devon Matthews (10 games):

RB Ronnie Walker Jr. (9 games):

and 16 played 4 or less

QB Michael Penix Jr. (3 games):

LB James Miller (3 games):

RB Kristian Pechac (3 games):

DE Madison Norris (1 game):

WR Miles Marshall (1 game):

DL Shamar Jones (1 game):

DB Noah Pierre (1 game):

Did not play

DL Jonathan King,

TE T.J. Ivy,

WR Jacolby Hewitt,

DB Jordan Jusevitch,

LB Aaron Casey,

OL Nick Marozas,

OL Aidan Rafferty,

DL Gavin McCabe,

K Charles Campbell

It was rare when Cronk came in and started. AND not only started but dominated from the beginning. If someone else comes in and is that head and shoulders above everyone else you can't leave them out of the lineup.

The stronger the roster gets the more likely that freshmen will red-shirt. Unless IU brings in a player good enough to start or alternate reps, when the roster gets strong enough, the others will red-shirt. The advantage the big guns in the B1G have is they don't play freshmen unless they are so good they win a starting spot. They have solid rosters and give players time to develop. You see some players play as freshmen at those schools but it is rare. I hope to see the day IU has a solid roster top to bottom and can afford to develop incoming freshmen.

So 10 played (fine, most are solid and will be tough next year. And really like that 16 kept RS. Would bet next year may come in under 10 playing over 4, and that’s not a slap to the class, it’s hopefully a sign of depth to come. But as we all stated, IF they win out playing time on merit, so be it, as at this point, they would be darn good players, not forced to play.

We had 10 play more than 4 games:

RB Stevie Scott (12 games):

ATH Reese Taylor (12 games):

DB Jaylin Williams (12 games):

LB Micah McFadden (12 games):

TE Matt Bjorson (12 games):

DE James Head (11 games):

Husky Cam Jones (11 games):

S Jamar Johnson (10 games):

S Devon Matthews (10 games):

RB Ronnie Walker Jr. (9 games):

and 16 played 4 or less

QB Michael Penix Jr. (3 games):

LB James Miller (3 games):

RB Kristian Pechac (3 games):

DE Madison Norris (1 game):

WR Miles Marshall (1 game):

DL Shamar Jones (1 game):

DB Noah Pierre (1 game):

Did not play

DL Jonathan King,

TE T.J. Ivy,

WR Jacolby Hewitt,

DB Jordan Jusevitch,

LB Aaron Casey,

OL Nick Marozas,

OL Aidan Rafferty,

DL Gavin McCabe,

K Charles Campbell

It was rare when Cronk came in and started. AND not only started but dominated from the beginning. If someone else comes in and is that head and shoulders above everyone else you can't leave them out of the lineup.

So 10 played (fine, most are solid and will be tough next year. And really like that 16 kept RS. Would bet next year may come in under 10 playing over 4, and that’s not a slap to the class, it’s hopefully a sign of depth to come. But as we all stated, IF they win out playing time on merit, so be it, as at this point, they would be darn good players, not forced to play.
I guess I’m having a hard time distinguishing between “forced to play” and “winning out playing time”. Either way if the freshman is better than the upperclassman then they play.

Certainly if that happens a lot then if nothing else it speaks to the improvement in recruiting. This is a good class coming in and I still think we are pretty weak in the upper two classes. Will that lead to freshmen playing? Not too sure but I’m expecting to see some of that happen. If it does then to me it just bodes very well for the future when these guys become upper class men with a lot of experience under their belts.

I think it was Wilson who said something like he didn’t put to much emphasis on red shirting a kid if they were ready to play because there was still a chance for them to get hurt somewhere along the line and take the red shirt for medical purposes. I guess you could say he was saving the red shirt for them, ha ha. In any case let the best kids play whatever their class.

I guess I’m having a hard time distinguishing between “forced to play” and “winning out playing time”. Either way if the freshman is better than the upperclassman then they play.

Certainly if that happens a lot then if nothing else it speaks to the improvement in recruiting. This is a good class coming in and I still think we are pretty weak in the upper two classes. Will that lead to freshmen playing? Not too sure but I’m expecting to see some of that happen. If it does then to me it just bodes very well for the future when these guys become upper class men with a lot of experience under their belts.

I think it was Wilson who said something like he didn’t put to much emphasis on red shirting a kid if they were ready to play because there was still a chance for them to get hurt somewhere along the line and take the red shirt for medical purposes. I guess you could say he was saving the red shirt for them, ha ha. In any case let the best kids play whatever their class.
I agree about the improvement in recruiting and letting the best players start. With the holes left in the roster for this staff, I too expect several will play from the incoming class. I look forward to the time the roster is complete and only top level players are better than returning players allowing the vast majority of freshman red-shirt.

"Forced to play" to me was b/c roster was so deleted. "Winning out" is just purely raw talent - they are in 2-deep and contributing.

Think IU DB's last year were partially "forced to play". Think have seen OL and DL FR "forced to play" and though I enjoyed him, Z Diamont was "forced to play" b/c depth was so weak.

I'd love to have almost no FR need to play over 4 games if the talent is such they could all RS. Look at Aidan Rafftery. He used his RS year and has gone from what 270? To now listed as 315 going into his RS FR year. That may be the textbook model there.

Not saying roster is perfect, but when I look at the IU roster for next season, there may not be any position that "truly requires" a FR to start. Think the DL may likely need some of those big DL recruits in the rotation. One of two incoming LB may crack rotation too. And think same for Sampson James, but b/c he's a 4-star stud, not b/c no talent at RB.

Why I think more FR may RS this year, but hope the best ones get at least the 4 games experience, and if they crack the rotation due to legit talent, I'm all for let 'em play!

Play them all. Better to have them play four years at Indiana than have them play three here and one somewhere else, IMO. Every team in the country will adopt this attitude soon.

If a player wants to transfer as an underclassmen, they will have to sit out. A player would be much more likely to transfer out under this scenario as an underclassmen when they are more easily replaceable for Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT