ADVERTISEMENT

Red Counties in America have 100% Higher Covid Rates Than Blue Counties

Ummm, see the post #142 above?
Something to keep in perspective: Yes, there is a significant amount of illegal immigrants crossing the border, and this is a problem, but if it is true that the number of illegal immigrants is about 1 million people, and if 80% are not vaccinated, then that is the potential for 800,000 people now in this country that can spread the virus.

But when you compare that to the adult population of the United States (~253 million) and the fact that 30% are still not vaccinated, that means we are currently sitting on about 76 million unvaccinated Americans (in addition to the children who cannot currently take the vaccine). So I see a problem that is almost 100 times worse than the border issue (with regards to Covid).

I say let's get our crap together first on the big problem, and then deal with the smaller problems thereafter.
The only actual fact I see is ''I see a problem'' that suits you. lets factor in the health and where these undocumented are coming from, how much more likely they could be spreading the virus vs people that while may not have a vaccine are also taking a lot of precautions ?

Boy, this thread has been a tough slog.

Just found out my elderly Mexican next door neighbor lady died from Covid on Saturday. Evidently she'd been in the hospital for two weeks. I'd seen family coming and going but that didn't twig anything, since they always had family coming and going.

No, she hadn't gotten the shot. Her son said he got his today and his father was getting his tomorrow.

My wife kind of shocked me with her response: "She had it coming. I'm out of sympathy for these people." Me, I was more "Stupidity shouldn't be a capital offense."

These are good people, with a large, loving, hard working extended family. This shit sucks.

The only actual fact I see is ''I see a problem'' that suits you. lets factor in the health and where these undocumented are coming from, how much more likely they could be spreading the virus vs people that while may not have a vaccine are also taking a lot of precautions ?
Huh?
A) You do realize that the United States is one of the WORST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD in regards to cases per population density, right? The US is 5x the cases per million population compared to Mexico, 10x compared to Venezuela, and 75x that of Nicaragua. The only country that is worse is Argentina, which is the furthest from America than all the others and appears to be pretty low on the percentage of immigrants coming here. Can you cite ANY credible resource that says that the illegal immigrants crossing the border are more likely to have the virus than your average American?
B) Why do you expect the illegal immigrants to be taking less precautions than the people here? Isn't the stereotype that all these illegal immigrants are future Democrats, therefore if anything they should be mask-happy to begin with? According to this survey, Latinos are more likely to wear a mask than white males.

And again, at the end of the day, you are talking about 1 to 2 million (at absolute most) immigrants versus 75 million Americans. It's a problem, but they are not remotely the same in magnitude.

Reactions: cosmickid
Take your COVID propaganda quiz now.

like Zero=you
70c964f5ed237fb7d5ff5bff57a253ac0b9d3726.jpeg

Huh?
A) You do realize that the United States is one of the WORST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD in regards to cases per population density, right? The US is 5x the cases per million population compared to Mexico, 10x compared to Venezuela, and 75x that of Nicaragua. The only country that is worse is Argentina, which is the furthest from America than all the others and appears to be pretty low on the percentage of immigrants coming here. Can you cite ANY credible resource that says that the illegal immigrants crossing the border are more likely to have the virus than your average American?
B) Why do you expect the illegal immigrants to be taking less precautions than the people here? Isn't the stereotype that all these illegal immigrants are future Democrats, therefore if anything they should be mask-happy to begin with? According to this survey, Latinos are more likely to wear a mask than white males.

And again, at the end of the day, you are talking about 1 to 2 million (at absolute most) immigrants versus 75 million Americans. It's a problem, but they are not remotely the same in magnitude.
myriad reasons: data collection practices presumptions about these countries; limited access to healthcare; the journey and attendant close quarters. have you seen the conditions these poor people travel under? it's heart-rending. there are endless articles related to covid and ice and illegals. i've read and watched a lot about these people and again it's a massive heart-rending humanitarian crisis. whether they are making a significant contribution to our overall caseload i have no idea. perhaps more importantly i wonder if they have been exposed to variants that they are now spreading throughout the US. maybe it's not the quantity of cases they are bringing but the novelty of same.

at any rate whatever is out there will get to us eventually, inevitably. and as i stated somewhere above i trust young people partying are a far bigger covid issue than immigrants. but to say they aren't contributing defies common sense. it's a shame we can't figure out a way to help these people. you'd have to be in one hell of a bad way to do what they are doing to come here....

Last edited:
Ummm, see the post #142 above?

I mean, I admit that the numbers are not absolute, but it probably ranges from 0.75% to 1.25% depending on what the actual number of undocumented illegal immigrants who have entered this country and were not captured / sent back.

I have no problem admitting that it is a problem. I just have issue with people equating the two as equal in magnitude.
Crayfish thinks an unvaccinated brown person with Covid is way more scary than 100 unvaccinated white defiantly antivaccine Republicans with COVID.

Because who knows. It's scary. It's a COVID caravan.

Huh?

I am sure documenting covid is even as remotely as big of a deal to these countries as here . I am reasonably sure and understand their point of view, I doubt worrying about covid is anywhere close to the top of their worry list . You want to make covid a political issue obviously. Do you really thing the first thing they are thinking when they get here is wearing a mask or hand sanitizing?

So are you equally as upset at the Biden admin letting in tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of infected illegal immigrants into the country?
Translation: Look over there!

20pfsv.jpg

Ribbont is here only to save America and to get Trump reelected in either August 2021 or in 2024 ( after he divides by four and makes sure 2024 is the right year).

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Crayfish thinks an unvaccinated brown person with Covid is way more scary than 100 unvaccinated white defiantly antivaccine Republicans with COVID.

Because who knows. It's scary. It's a COVID caravan.
Holy sh*t .................where do you even come up with this sh*t? One of your 4 useless degrees in something no one gives a damn about or will hire you for? You want to be personal fine have at it. You don't know sh*t about a GD thing you go on about. Read my previous post that you really think people pouring in are as concerned about covid? I never called anyone brown although you remind me of something brown

Translation: Look over there!

20pfsv.jpg

Ribbont is here only to save America and to get Trump reelected in either August 2021 or in 2024 ( after he divides by four and makes sure 2024 is the right year).

Yeah, that's me. Every post I do is sooooo pro Trump. Good grief.

That's a Feb article. June was a 21 yr high in illegals and July is projected to be higher, with most coming thru the Rio Grande. So that explains Texas' increase.

As for Florida, no real surprise as it is a vacation hotspot.
You were dismissive of my point, but I really want to get a grip on what you're claiming...

I mentioned in my post that the article was from Feb. But the point is showing the historical variance between the way the red state of Texas and the Blue state of New Mexico handled the virus. I'd say THAT has more to do with the way they are handling the latest virus surge than the "illegals" you want to blame for Texas's increase since presumably, New Mexico has to deal with illegals as well...

That's Texas. But how do you explain the surge in states to the East of Texas like LA and FL? And then directly north of LA, you have AR and MO? Do all these dispersed illegals somehow only manage to travel to "red" states? Are illegals (who somehow didn't have an adverse effect in New Mexico) to blame, rather than the low vaccination rates of all those states?

New Mexico's vax rate is 57%, higher than the 50% of the US as a whole. The other 3 states CA, TX, and AZ that share a land border with Mexico are at 53%,44%, and 45%, respectively. MO, AR and LA the 3 states that (along with FL and TX) make up the rest of the Covid hotspots have vax rates of 41,37, and 37 respectively. Why are hospitalization rates and death rates abysmally worse in all of these states which other than Texas don't share a border with Mexico, than in New Mexico which does?

According to updated NYT stats from today, New Mexico has 8 hospitalizations/per 100,000 and 2 deaths as a daily avg. By contrast, the "best" numbers among Covid hotspots is currently MO with 32 hospitalizations per 100,000 and a daily avg of 18 deaths. FL and TX are leading the pack with 45 and 21 hospitalizations respectively, as well as daily avg deaths of 58.4 and 39.9. US avg is 14 hospitalizations per 100,000 and 340.5 deaths so those 2 states are basically smashing the hospitalization rate avg, as well as accounting for close to 1/3 of the daily deaths...

You can see the table here

Again my point is to dispute your claim that the virus is being fuelled by illegals, particularly in Texas. That makes no sense when New Mexico's numbers are so low.
It seems pretty obvious that New Mexico's low-key approach to dealing with the virus as a public health concern, rather than a partisan political issue is a major factor in both the high vax rate as well as the very low disease rate of New Mexico compared to its Eastern neighbor and the other Covid hotspots...

No one. I'll get it every year. But, don't forget that the flu vaccine is only about 67% effective. Too many strains, so the formula each year is something of a guess. If Covid reaches that point, so that even annual shots are only 67% effective...that's going to be a lot of excess deaths every single year.

The happy difference is the type of vaccine, a chunk of the lack of effectiveness of flu vaccines comes from the lead time needed to produce the vaccines, there's some real hope that mRNA-based vaccines can be designed and produced much faster. That would mean predicting dominant strains closer to the time of shot administration which would give a little better chance of being right.

myriad reasons: data collection practices presumptions about these countries; limited access to healthcare; the journey and attendant close quarters. have you seen the conditions these poor people travel under? it's heart-rending. there are endless articles related to covid and ice and illegals. i've read and watched a lot about these people and again it's a massive heart-rending humanitarian crisis. whether they are making a significant contribution to our overall caseload i have no idea. perhaps more importantly i wonder if they have been exposed to variants that they are now spreading throughout the US. maybe it's not the quantity of cases they are bringing but the novelty of same.

at any rate whatever is out there will get to us eventually, inevitably. and as i stated somewhere above i trust young people partying are a far bigger covid issue than immigrants. but to say they aren't contributing defies common sense. it's a shame we can't figure out a way to help these people. you'd have to be in one hell of a bad way to do what they are doing to come here....

Give them a COVID vaccination at the border when they process them. We have more vaccine than we’re using.

...there's some real hope that mRNA-based vaccines can be designed and produced much faster. That would mean predicting dominant strains closer to the time of shot administration which would give a little better chance of being right.
IIUC, the mRNA technology has the promise of making vaccine production extraordinarily quick, with the biggest time sink being the approval process.

Reactions: outside shooter
You were dismissive of my point, but I really want to get a grip on what you're claiming...

I mentioned in my post that the article was from Feb. But the point is showing the historical variance between the way the red state of Texas and the Blue state of New Mexico handled the virus. I'd say THAT has more to do with the way they are handling the latest virus surge than the "illegals" you want to blame for Texas's increase since presumably, New Mexico has to deal with illegals as well...

That's Texas. But how do you explain the surge in states to the East of Texas like LA and FL? And then directly north of LA, you have AR and MO? Do all these dispersed illegals somehow only manage to travel to "red" states? Are illegals (who somehow didn't have an adverse effect in New Mexico) to blame, rather than the low vaccination rates of all those states?

New Mexico's vax rate is 57%, higher than the 50% of the US as a whole. The other 3 states CA, TX, and AZ that share a land border with Mexico are at 53%,44%, and 45%, respectively. MO, AR and LA the 3 states that (along with FL and TX) make up the rest of the Covid hotspots have vax rates of 41,37, and 37 respectively. Why are hospitalization rates and death rates abysmally worse in all of these states which other than Texas don't share a border with Mexico, than in New Mexico which does?

According to updated NYT stats from today, New Mexico has 8 hospitalizations/per 100,000 and 2 deaths as a daily avg. By contrast, the "best" numbers among Covid hotspots is currently MO with 32 hospitalizations per 100,000 and a daily avg of 18 deaths. FL and TX are leading the pack with 45 and 21 hospitalizations respectively, as well as daily avg deaths of 58.4 and 39.9. US avg is 14 hospitalizations per 100,000 and 340.5 deaths so those 2 states are basically smashing the hospitalization rate avg, as well as accounting for close to 1/3 of the daily deaths...

You can see the table here

Again my point is to dispute your claim that the virus is being fuelled by illegals, particularly in Texas. That makes no sense when New Mexico's numbers are so low.
It seems pretty obvious that New Mexico's low-key approach to dealing with the virus as a public health concern, rather than a partisan political issue is a major factor in both the high vax rate as well as the very low disease rate of New Mexico compared to its Eastern neighbor and the other Covid hotspots...

1) I am dismissive of your post because I don‘t like you that much, your posts are too long, and you bore me.

2) I never said illegal immigration fueled the increase in COVID. I asked the OP if he was equally as upset with the border crisis and COVID.

3) Texas has 1241 miles a border versus NM’s 180. Texas, in June, had 105k of the 188k apprehension. NM had 21,500 (and some of those were actually in TX, as the El Paso sector includes part of TX).

4) I agreed in multiple posts, that the unvaxed are the main problem. But, we can’t hope to beat COVID by keep allowing infected people come in, especially from Central America, where the Lambda variant is spreading. And so far, it is not known if the vaccine is affective against Lambda.

5) As I have linked in other articles, Mexica has about 1 in 5 people fully vaxed. In another article I read, the gov of Mexico released vax rates per state, but failed to release the numbers for Tamaulipas, the largest one that borders Texas. Other world orgs have disputed the numbers as they cannot be independently verified.

I could go on, but what is the point. Nothing will change your mind. So I won’t bother with links. Just keep me in your “racist” group and keep being close minded, and keep twisting words (fueled) to build your narrative. I may be conservative/libertarian, but I never liked Trump or supported him. Not one post on this forum can you find me liking Trump. I may like a policy or 2 of his, but that’s it. Anyway, best to you being you.

I hate to be so cynical about people's motives, but it's obvious that some GOP Governors running for re-election or beyond have clearly made a political calculation that outweighs their concern for public health. The state with the highest rate of vaccine compliance is Vermont, a state that Biden won by 35%...

But Vermont has a GOP Governor in Phil Scott that based on his response to covid enjoys an approval rating above 60% in a Blue state. He won his last Gov race by 40%, in the same state where Bernie Sanders only won re-election by 35%. In a normal political world, Scott would be a shoo-in candidate to run as a GOP candidate for POTUS, based on his ability to appeal to both Dems and Pubs. But that's not the world we live in...

People like DeSantis and Abbott have determined that their best political option is to appeal to the extremes within their Party. Even then both have faced attacks from the far far right, Abbott will likely be challenged in the Primary by wing nut Allen West. And Desantis who can best be described as "lukewarm" on vaccine encouragement has nonetheless faced charges from another wacko ( Michael Flynn) that he (Desantos) is trying to force the vax on people and abusing his power as Governor... o_O

There are still some centrist Pubs left, but they seem to be few and far between. I guess (AR Gov) Asa Hutchinson fits the bill, but check out the outrageous vitriol he received at a recent town hall for just saying he wished more folks would get vaxed...And this was from last week, so it was even before his admission this week that signing the bill prohibiting mask mandates thruout the state was a move he regretted.

Reactions: UncleMark
1) I am dismissive of your post because I don‘t like you that much, your posts are too long, and you bore me.

2) I never said illegal immigration fueled the increase in COVID. I asked the OP if he was equally as upset with the border crisis and COVID.

3) Texas has 1241 miles a border versus NM’s 180. Texas, in June, had 105k of the 188k apprehension. NM had 21,500 (and some of those were actually in TX, as the El Paso sector includes part of TX).

4) I agreed in multiple posts, that the unvaxed are the main problem. But, we can’t hope to beat COVID by keep allowing infected people come in, especially from Central America, where the Lambda variant is spreading. And so far, it is not known if the vaccine is affective against Lambda.

5) As I have linked in other articles, Mexica has about 1 in 5 people fully vaxed. In another article I read, the gov of Mexico released vax rates per state, but failed to release the numbers for Tamaulipas, the largest one that borders Texas. Other world orgs have disputed the numbers as they cannot be independently verified.

I could go on, but what is the point. Nothing will change your mind. So I won’t bother with links. Just keep me in your “racist” group and keep being close minded, and keep twisting words (fueled) to build your narrative. I may be conservative/libertarian, but I never liked Trump or supported him. Not one post on this forum can you find me liking Trump. I may like a policy or 2 of his, but that’s it. Anyway, best to you being you.
Wow Dude, I never accused you of being a Trumper. And it's strange you felt the need to say you don't like me, because I almost mentioned in my post that I always liked your posts on the old Peegs Premie and I always considered you a reasonable poster.

That's the one thing I don't like about posting on a political board full of fellow IU fans, politics coming between people that I've previously known and appreciated as a fellow IU fan. One of the reasons I choose to post here instead of on the 247 "civil discourse" board for politics and the 247 board for hoops...

Wow Dude, I never accused you of being a Trumper. And it's strange you felt the need to say you don't like me, because I almost mentioned in my post that I always liked your posts on the old Peegs Premie and I always considered you a reasonable poster.

That's the one thing I don't like about posting on a political board full of fellow IU fans, politics coming between people that I've previously known and appreciated as a fellow IU fan. One of the reasons I choose to post here instead of on the 247 "civil discourse" board for politics and the 247 board for hoops...

Sorry. I don't like you because you come across as never trying to seek to understand others' perspective but always trying to prove someone wrong by posting a freaking thesis. You come across as not wanting to discuss but just prove how wrong someone else is. Wrong to the point that the person should feel ashamed for even trying to discuss. And if they respond to you, it's more of the same. Just tiring. I stopped reading your stuff months ago.

You didn't have to call me a Trumpet, I am pretty sure you were thinking it. Apologies if I am wrong. But dumbasses like Stuffshot just like to name and throw stupid labels out there and it gets old. Being called racist gets old. Again, apologies to you as I may have taken my dismay out on you.

I am sure you are probably a decent person, but I just don't enjoy you on this board.

35 yrs ago, a friend of mine got mad a yelled at me: I know you're right. "You are ALWAYS right!" Talk about a brutal awaking for a 17 yr old. But he was right. My desire to always be right made me a dick. That is what I read/see in you. Sorry.

I find it hard to believe that's not already being done. There's absolutely no reason not to.

100% agree on that. When you are trying to come or sneak in I have no problem with that being forced regardless vs citizens being forced.

This is a key point. There have been no variants of concern that have emerged since the vaccination campaigns started and the vaccines are effective against current variants, including Delta. The fearmongering about variants at this point is harmful.

This is a key point. There have been no variants of concern that have emerged since the vaccination campaigns started and the vaccines are effective against current variants, including Delta. The fearmongering about variants at this point is harmful.
Spartan you are really up on this stuff so I wanted to ask your opinion on something I’ve struggled with. I’m in complete agreement with you on the doomsday fear mongering not being helpful. But how should medical experts and the press deal with negative information?

For example, there was a correlation in heart inflammation in teen boys after the second dose. It was rare and should not stop anyone from getting vaccinated. But that was what the data showed. Rare cases did present. I have to think not reporting this would be seen as hiding the bad. What do you think?

Spartan you are really up on this stuff so I wanted to ask your opinion on something I’ve struggled with. I’m in complete agreement with you on the doomsday fear mongering not being helpful. But how should medical experts and the press deal with negative information?

For example, there was a correlation in heart inflammation in teen boys after the second dose. It was rare and should not stop anyone from getting vaccinated. But that was what the data showed. Rare cases did present. I have to think not reporting this would be seen as hiding the bad. What do you think?
It should be reported in the proper context. I have seen that info as well. Both of my kids (13 and 16) received their first jab this week. The wife and I gave them the information we currently had and let them make their own decision.
I have learned a lot, on this subject and others, from knowledgeable folks on the board.
Unfortunately, some have quit posting altogether or have drastically reduced their presence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortez88
Reactions: mike41703
The fearmongering about variants at this point is harmful.
I would counter that education about the reality of a continual emergence of variants (which are, so far, all susceptible to control by vacciantion) is very helpful if it can encourage higher vaccination rates.

The higher danger to the unvaccinated, owing to the variants, is real and must be made clear, to all vaccine-hesitant factions.

Reactions: UncleMark

Correlation does not equal causation.

IIRC, that was reported to be one of the effects of Covid infection in young people. I think an IU football freshmen had a really concerning time of it.

Reactions: Cortez88
Like with our POTUS 2017-2020, quotes sometimes unfortunately need to be "cleaned up". It is, obviously 350M doses of vaccine. Most people need two doses (J&J being the exception).

Florida is a total disaster. It's just like trickle down economics. Republicans are incapable of looking at facts and finding realistic solutions. They like to go with their gut, which 95% of the time is wrong.
You sound like the MSM...just start blabbing - throw it against the wall and hope it sticks. Florida is not a total disaster. In fact, the exact opposite is true.

Where are all those Red States? Top 10 not looking good.

Florida Leads on Fiscal Responsibility and Taxpayer Savings

The Florida Leads budget remains focused on fiscal responsibility and providing tax relief to Floridians. The budget leaves $9.5 billion in reserves, including more than $1.2 billion in revenues collected above the April revenue estimates, maintaining ample resources to respond to hurricanes and other unforeseen circumstances. The budget also implements a tax package which cuts taxes by $169 million and includes the first 7-day freedom week sales tax holiday, a 10-day back-to-school sales tax holiday, and a 10-day disaster preparedness sales tax holiday.

ADVERTISEMENT