ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
See this is what makes me mad about recruiting. We went to Lincoln and beat Nebraska. And quite honestly, look like the better program currently. But they signed 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ guys. And we landed 1. Their recruiting class is 31 spots higher than ours. It is ridiculous. I think a lot of this is due to our fan support. If we could sellout every home game and show a better environment, we’d probably land better recruits.

Right, Indiana is the only B1G school where Basketball revenues are greater than Football, & it's not even close, as Football receipts were 6.8 million to Basketball's 11.2 million. I'd also add "tradition" as Nebraska has been a powerhouse since Bob Delavey coached there in the 60's. So it will take some time but CTA has Indiana trending in the right direction.

No disagreement here.

Players know which programs are the blue bloods (whether they currently are or not). They know who the "hot" coaches are, and Frost has that notoriety.

And to your point, they know where big time games are played with good fan support. I felt dead inside two years ago when they had a longshot chance to beat PSU on the last play. I'm pretty sure the stadium was empty at that point.....like I'm not sure the band or players families were still there. Not a good look for recruits.

But there's hope. The season opener against OSU was rocking a couple years ago. Just need to give the kids some hope for exciting wins vs exciting losses, and it'll turn around. But that's been the rub the past 50 years or so.

Stars don't mean anything. You still need to coach them. There entire team, on paper, was much higher rated at almost every position this season and we went into their place and embarrassed them. So stars are nice on paper, but games are won/lost on the field. I doubt Frost is there this time next season.

Fan support is nice, but honestly kids want all kinds of things when it comes to recruiting. Some want tradition, some want competition, some want exposure, some want a family, some want development. One thing you absolutely rarely hear from any recruit is they want fan support and a full stadium every week. Personally I never worry about stars. There's just as many 2 and 3 star kids in the NFL as 4 and 5 stars. Many of IU's best players last season that got them to the bowl game were low 3s and 2s in the Rivals rankings. We beat teams that had a lot of 4 star kids on them.

Personally I'll take family oriented kids that are driven and "buy-in" to what is being built here vs getting a class full of 4 star kids. I personally believe IU will be just fine.

See this is what makes me mad about recruiting. We went to Lincoln and beat Nebraska. And quite honestly, look like the better program currently. But they signed 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ guys. And we landed 1. Their recruiting class is 31 spots higher than ours. It is ridiculous. I think a lot of this is due to our fan support. If we could sellout every home game and show a better environment, we’d probably land better recruits.
Seriously, why do you post shit like this? There's no mystery here. They're Nebraska; we're Indiana. They have a storied football history. We just had our first eight win season in a generation. And our current recruiting class is much more a function of the 2018 season than 2019.

I expect our 2021 class to be outstanding.

Given most of this year's class likely will RS due to so many returning, that will be great for building depth and developing "good players" who could have some surprises in the class. But the 20210 recruiting (and 2022/23) looks to be off to a better start and clearly the "last season" makes a big difference given so many kids commit early.

Imagine IU beating Wiscy in the opener next year with Penix lighting it up and defense playing well. The recruiting floodgates could turn. And one thing about the young coaches we have now, they may relate and be strong recruiters going forward. And really hoping Coach Wright can land some IMG talent too!

Seriously, why do you post shit like this? There's no mystery here. They're Nebraska; we're Indiana. They have a storied football history. We just had our first eight win season in a generation. And our current recruiting class is much more a function of the 2018 season than 2019.

I know I’m being captain obvious. But I’m just making a point of how screwed up I think recruiting is.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Let's not forget Frost put UCF on the map and went undefeated not too long ago. He still has football cred down in Florida and will recruit that area hard and heavy. If he can somehow figure out a way to properly use and develop Luke McCaffery, they will become very good in short order.

Last edited:
Stars don't mean anything. You still need to coach them. There entire team, on paper, was much higher rated at almost every position this season and we went into their place and embarrassed them. So stars are nice on paper, but games are won/lost on the field. I doubt Frost is there this time next season.

Fan support is nice, but honestly kids want all kinds of things when it comes to recruiting. Some want tradition, some want competition, some want exposure, some want a family, some want development. One thing you absolutely rarely hear from any recruit is they want fan support and a full stadium every week. Personally I never worry about stars. There's just as many 2 and 3 star kids in the NFL as 4 and 5 stars. Many of IU's best players last season that got them to the bowl game were low 3s and 2s in the Rivals rankings. We beat teams that had a lot of 4 star kids on them.

Personally I'll take family oriented kids that are driven and "buy-in" to what is being built here vs getting a class full of 4 star kids. I personally believe IU will be just fine.
Very well stated-5Stars,lol.

Might want to get ready for a good start to ‘21

Imagine my favorite dream now for 2020 season: open year with big upset win at Wiscy. Go 4-0, bye week, get freshened up for the final 8-game grind (I like the bye week's later in season when possible, 2 last year was awesome!). They then beat MD & Rutgers to go 6-0 hosting Sparty, a team we need and should beat at home next year. 7-0 hosting Penn St at home. Wiscy was a nice win, but imagine beating PSU at a sellout at home, national TV game? Would be incredible and 8-0. Only to travel to OSU the next week for what would be a huge, national TV game again and B10 and possible talk of Final Four on the line. Imagine recruiting at that stage? :)

Oh to have fun dreaming big for IU. If things fall in line and Penix comes back like I think/hope he can, I think big things could be happening. Keep dreaming big people!

Imagine my favorite dream now for 2020 season: open year with big upset win at Wiscy. Go 4-0, bye week, get freshened up for the final 8-game grind (I like the bye week's later in season when possible, 2 last year was awesome!). They then beat MD & Rutgers to go 6-0 hosting Sparty, a team we need and should beat at home next year. 7-0 hosting Penn St at home. Wiscy was a nice win, but imagine beating PSU at a sellout at home, national TV game? Would be incredible and 8-0. Only to travel to OSU the next week for what would be a huge, national TV game again and B10 and possible talk of Final Four on the line. Imagine recruiting at that stage? :)

Oh to have fun dreaming big for IU. If things fall in line and Penix comes back like I think/hope he can, I think big things could be happening. Keep dreaming big people!

I dream of the same season for 2020 looking to build on 2019. It won't be easy but if IU improves with our young players maturing, it is possible.

Right, Indiana is the only B1G school where Basketball revenues are greater than Football, & it's not even close, as Football receipts were 6.8 million to Basketball's 11.2 million. I'd also add "tradition" as Nebraska has been a powerhouse since Bob Delavey coached there in the 60's. So it will take some time but CTA has Indiana trending in the right direction.

While the football attendance is embarrassingly bad, the university gets close to $43 million in media rights annually with $32 million of that coming from football and only $11 million coming from basketball.

Of course, IU never fully figured out that you cannot play up with the big boys when you are “all in” on basketball and leave football on the back burner. Decades of that caught up to IU. Now, the true perennial powers in BIG basketball also have very healthy football programs.

I dream of the same season for 2020 looking to build on 2019. It won't be easy but if IU improves with our young players maturing, it is possible.
Right you are. Things need to fall our way. Indiana will not be able to sneak up on opponents this year & the Hoosiers could have a worst record even with a better team. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

This is one of the funnest time periods. Getting a couple of surprises would good. I am thinking we might have a chance with the ATH Williams and OL Benson.

I saw on another site that we are also recruiting 2 more Stanford grad transfers.....6'7" 300 lbs Devery Hamilton out of MD, and 6'3" 280 lbs DT Jovan Swann out of Indy. We are thought to be in good shape with Swann accoding to Matt Weaver. Swann may be trying to influence Hamilton to come here.

Swann was a #9 player in Indiana coming of of HS, who we heavily recruited. Hamilton was rated higher than that. Swann has been a starting DT. Hamilton has started quite a few games as a swing OT/G.

Also, here's a wildcard: 6'3" **** WR Brian Hamilton out of IMG Florida. We recruited him out of HS. Now he's transferring from Miami. Don't know if we're interested......he's be a regular transfer, not a grad transfer.

I saw on another site that we are also recruiting 2 more Stanford grad transfers.....6'7" 300 lbs Devery Hamilton out of MD, and 6'3" 280 lbs DT Jovan Swann out of Indy. We are thought to be in good shape with Swann accoding to Matt Weaver. Swann may be trying to influence Hamilton to come here.

Swann was a #9 player in Indiana coming of of HS, who we heavily recruited. Hamilton was rated higher than that. Swann has been a starting DT. Hamilton has started quite a few games as a swing OT/G.

Also, here's a wildcard: 6'3" **** WR Brian Hamilton out of IMG Florida. We recruited him out of HS. Now he's transferring from Miami. Don't know if we're interested......he's be a regular transfer, not a grad transfer.

Friend of mine is big Tennessee fan. Tells a story when they recruited a guy. The guy said I want to go to a place where football is more important than religion. I found it at Tennessee.

bingo!

Reactions: red hornet
We have a very good shot with Swann. The kid is a strong academic guy and that was the appeal of Stanford. He wants to get back closer to home. This one has been brewing for several weeks.

Stanford is going through a bunch of defections. They currently have 16 guys in the transfer portal.

Keep an eye on former IMG and U. of Miami WR Brian Hightower. He’s a sophomore. Would have to sit a year.

Did you mean Coach Devaney?

Reactions: red hornet
Been saying this for 40 years, but our fans have a lot of excuses

Given most of this year's class likely will RS due to so many returning, that will be great for building depth and developing "good players" who could have some surprises in the class. But the 20210 recruiting (and 2022/23) looks to be off to a better start and clearly the "last season" makes a big difference given so many kids commit early.

Imagine IU beating Wiscy in the opener next year with Penix lighting it up and defense playing well. The recruiting floodgates could turn. And one thing about the young coaches we have now, they may relate and be strong recruiters going forward. And really hoping Coach Wright can land some IMG talent too!
I am more concerned about Penix getting hurt in first quarter and Peyton Ramsey lighting us up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT