ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

I have that person on ignore too but UD had a very good offense that year. His offenses in other years was pretty good too. Have to remember there are over 300 teams in DIV I ball so being 28 is very good and being in the 60s is good too when you combine it with very good defense. He'll have better players at IU and I expect his offense and his defense will be better than they ever were at UD soon.

The person you have on ignore previously stated Archie Miller has never had a top 50 offense at Dayton. He's since edited his posts once he found out that Dayton has actually had two top 30 offenses under Archie. You're missing quite the show.

The person you have on ignore previously stated Archie Miller has never had a top 50 offense at Dayton. He's since edited his posts once he found out that Dayton has actually had two top 30 offenses under Archie. You're missing quite the show.
I've got 10 on ignore so I'll just keep it that way for now but that is a lot of back tracking.

Good catch. They were rated 29th in 2012 as well.

So we go from, "Archie has never had a top 30 rated offensive team" to "has had 2 top 30 rated offensive teams but it doesn't change my argument".

You're a trip dude.

I didn't look at his first 2 seasons at Dayton because I assumed they sucked and they weren't really his players. At least according to you he isn't responsible for those low IQ players;) I was dead wrong. It was his two best offensive teams.

Reactions: cryano
I didn't look at his first 2 seasons at Dayton because I assumed they sucked and they weren't really his players. At least according to you he isn't responsible for those low IQ players;) I was dead wrong. It was his two best offensive teams.

Before you edited your post, you said "Archie Miller never had a top 50 offense during his 6 years at Dayton". He coached at Dayton 6 years. Not only was that not true, he had a top 50 offense in half those years and two of them were in the top 30.

FWIW, in Brian Gregory's last two years at Dayton his offense's ranked 86th and 137th. Archie improved Dayton's offense in one year by over 100 spots and that's with losing Chris Wright to the NBA (top 100 recruit) and Juwan Staten to West Virginia who was 2x first team All-B12.

Before you edited your post, you said "Archie Miller never had a top 50 offense during his 6 years at Dayton". He coached at Dayton 6 years. Not only was that not true, he had a top 50 offense in half those years and two of them were in the top 30.

FWIW, in Brian Gregory's last two years at Dayton his offense's ranked 86th and 137th. Archie improved Dayton's offense in one year by over 100 spots and that's with losing Chris Wright to the NBA (top 100 recruit) and Juwan Staten to West Virginia who was 2x first team All-B12.

I said he had 1. I thought they were ranked 32nd the year he went to the elite 8.

Was he a very good coach and A+ hire for Kansas? Absolutely. Was he a proven and established elite coach? No chance.

Which was exactly my point - had Archie walked into a similar situation after the 2014 Elite 8 at Dayton, who's to say the same thing might not have happened for him?

That's not to say it WOULD have. But to not acknowledge what Self inherited at Illinois vs what Archie did at Indiana is just fundamentally wrong.

But the fact that he had 3 doesn't change your opinion of his ability to coach correct? I can quote you on that?
I watched a lot of UD games since I've been here. They have a nice arena and I watch them on TV too. Archie's teams were a lot of fun for me to watch because I love his style of play. All ballplayers like to score and I scored my share when I played but I always liked playing tough defense and rebounding more than scoring. I've seen Archie's teams shut down other teams for long stretches of games with good defense and strong rebounding. I also liked how they took care of the ball and didn't commit a lot of stupid turnovers. I was thrilled IU got Archie as coach and I greatly enjoyed the first year watching IU's defense get better as the season progressed and how they stopped making so many stupid turnovers that Crean's teams made. I even enjoyed last year's team except for that bad stretch but it was obvious that injuries were a huge factor in that stretch and prevented him from building the team quite as fast as he wanted. Despite that there were plenty of signs of good things in IU's future. I think they'll start coming this year and next year. I think he's going to make IU into a great team to watch and contenders for the B1G and national championships in the years to come.

I watched a lot of UD games since I've been here. They have a nice arena and I watch them on TV too. Archie's teams were a lot of fun for me to watch because I love his style of play. All ballplayers like to score and I scored my share when I played but I always liked playing tough defense and rebounding more than scoring. I've seen Archie's teams shut down other teams for long stretches of games with good defense and strong rebounding. I also liked how they took care of the ball and didn't commit a lot of stupid turnovers. I was thrilled IU got Archie as coach and I greatly enjoyed the first year watching IU's defense get better as the season progressed and how they stopped making so many stupid turnovers that Crean's teams made. I even enjoyed last year's team except for that bad stretch but it was obvious that injuries were a huge factor in that stretch and prevented him from building the team quite as fast as he wanted. Despite that there were plenty of signs of good things in IU's future. I think they'll start coming this year and next year. I think he's going to make IU into a great team to watch and contenders for the B1G and national championships in the years to come.

My brother in-law is a UD grad and lives in Oakwood just south of the campus and goes to just about every game. Said Archie would be the best thing to happen to IU since Knight if he got his due diligence. Semi-skeptical so far but I'm going to give him his dues.

My brother in-law is a UD grad and lives in Oakwood just south of the campus and goes to just about every game. Said Archie would be the best thing to happen to IU since Knight if he got his due diligence. Semi-skeptical so far but I'm going to give him his dues.
I don't think you can find a UD fan that doesn't agree with your brother-in-law. It was a sad day for them when IU hired him away but they knew it was going to happen. They just thought OSU would do it instead of IU. It was a very happy day for me. I like UD because I like supporting the local team and I love basketball but I'm a big IU fan like all alumni should be.

But the fact that he had 3 doesn't change your opinion of his ability to coach correct? I can quote you on that?

Archie's offensive rankings for his 8 years:

2012- 29th
2013- 28th
2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd
2018- 92nd
2019 -82nd

If you want to include all 8 years, he has gotten worse as his career has went on. If you want the most accurate stats (IMO) it would be his last 4 years at Dayton when he was ranked 37th, 75th, 146th, and 53rd. Feel free to quote me. No, I still don't think Archie is a good offensive coach.

2012- 29th
2013- 28th
2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd
2018- 92nd
2019 -82nd

If you want to include all 8 years, he has gotten worse as his career has went on. If you want the most accurate stats (IMO) it would be his last 4 years at Dayton when he was ranked 37th, 75th, 146th, and 53rd. Feel free to quote me. No, I still don't think Archie is a good offensive coach.

Tony Bennett's offensive rankings his first 8 years

Was Tony Bennett a good offensive coach?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Tony Bennett's offensive rankings his first 8 years

Was Tony Bennett a good offensive coach?

If you would one time not be disingenuous (which is impossible for you and why I ignore most of your responses) you would have posted his numbers for years 3-6 at Virginia.

2012- 133
2013- 83
2014- 27
2015- 21

For comparison, Archies, years 3-6 at Dayton.

2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd

Feel free to make up your own mind who was better.

From here on out. You win all arguments. Congrats. Now work on responding in good faith.

If you would one time not be disingenuous (which is impossible for you and why I ignore most of your responses) you would have posted his numbers for years 3-6 at Virginia.

2012- 133
2013- 83
2014- 27
2015- 21

2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd

From here on out. You win all arguments. Congrats. Now work on responding in good faith.

You literally just posted Archie Miller’s first 8 years two posts above, not me. How is it disingenuous to not follow the parameters in which you set? You’re right, it’s not, it just kills your narrative.

You literally just posted Archie Miller’s first 8 years two posts above, not me. How is it disingenuous to not follow the parameters in which you set? You’re right, it’s not, it just kills your narrative.

I bolded the part you couldn't comprehend below.

2012- 29th
2013- 28th
2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd
2018- 92nd
2019 -82nd

2012- 29th
2013- 28th
2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd
2018- 92nd
2019 -82nd

If I were an IU fan I would be in the group saying that Archie needs more time but it is kind of ironic that his first two years at Dayton are being used in his favor while it is being said to not count his first two years at Indiana because he doesn't have a roster of his players yet.

If I were an IU fan I would be in the group saying that Archie needs more time but it is kind of ironic that his first two years at Dayton are being used in his favor while it is being said to not count his first two years at Indiana because he doesn't have a roster of his players yet.

His first two years absolutely at IU count and I’ve never suggested otherwise. But offensive efficiency isn’t the end be all stat. It’s ironic that his two best offensive teams never made the tournament while at Dayton. I’m willing to give Archie time to let his recruits grow and become upperclassmen (just as they did at Dayton), and you saw the results regardless of offensive efficiency.

Reactions: ufo33
My god, is it football season yet? Some sports need to start because I swear that every thread on this board is pretty much the same argument over and over again.

"It's deja vu all over again."

Maybe when football starts and it becomes closer to the start of basketball season we can have some threads that don't just rehash what's been said many times in many threads.That's my hope, at least.

2012- 133
2013- 83
2014- 27
2015- 21

2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd

Unless the previous posts were incorrect, Bennet's offensive ranking for years 3-6 were:

2012 -133
2013 - 87
2014 - 159
2015 - 133

Miller's 3-6 were:

2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd

Which were better?

My god, is it football season yet? Some sports need to start because I swear that every thread on this board is pretty much the same argument over and over again.

"It's deja vu all over again."

Maybe when football starts and it becomes closer to the start of basketball season we can have some threads that don't just rehash what's been said many times in many threads.That's my hope, at least.
You really feel like IU football is the answer? Now, maybe the Colts would help but this is not the forum to talk about them.

Unless the previous posts were incorrect, Bennet's offensive ranking for years 3-6 were:

2012 -133
2013 - 87
2014 - 159
2015 - 133

Miller's 3-6 were:

2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd

Which were better?

If you go back and read my post, I said Archie's years 3-6 at Dayton were his most accurate stats. I then compared it to Bennett's years 3-6 at Virginia. Usually, the first year or two at a new school aren't a coaches greatest years. For example, Archie's first two years here at Indiana:)

Last edited:

I guess it depends on the dayo_O

If you go back and read my post, I said Archie's years 3-6 at Dayton were his most accurate stats. I then compared it to Bennet's years 3-6 at Virginia. Usually, the first year or two at a new school aren't a coaches greatest years. For example, Archie's first two years here at Indiana:)
Yes, but you appeared to have the wrong stats for Bennet's 3-6 years.

Miller's years 3-6 at IU are coming up - then we can compare those too. ;)

Yes, but you appeared to have the wrong stats for Bennet's 3-6 years.

I tripled check. I'm pretty sure they are correct. Bennett's 3rd year at Virginia was 2011-12. Bennett's 6th season at Virginia would have been 2014-15. They were ranked 21st that year on Kenpom. IR 16 was using just his first 8 seasons overall. Bennett's 6th season at Virginia was his 9th season coaching.

I tripled check. I'm pretty sure they are correct. Bennett's 3rd year at Virginia was 2011-12. Bennett's 6th season at Virginia would have been 2014-15. They were ranked 21st that year on Kenpom. IR 16 was using just his first 8 seasons overall. Bennett's 6th season at Virginia was his 9th season coaching.
I'm going on a 4 mile run. I'll look later, but I think what I posted was correct. However, I could have cut and pasted the wrong years or we're using different sources, but we don't have the same ones - except for the first year, which is weird.

His first two years absolutely at IU count and I’ve never suggested otherwise. But offensive efficiency isn’t the end be all stat.
I agree with everything you said that I just quoted. I also wasn't accusing you specifically about saying Archie's first years don't count but there are comments on many different threads suggesting you shouldn't put much weight in those years since it was Crean's roster.

I'm not going to criticize Archies coaching, because I'm not a basketball coach. I will however criticize his recruiting, which appears to be struggling right now. That is not a good sign

I'm going on a 4 mile run. I'll look later, but I think what I posted was correct. However, I could have cut and pasted the wrong years or we're using different sources, but we don't have the same ones - except for the first year, which is weird.
Good gawd I hope there is a large cilff at mile 3.9...

Seriously, this was your first post and you chose to reply to my offer to bet? You wouldn’t happen to be yet another username of the one and only poster I have on ignore, would you? If not, I apologize because he’s probably the most incredibly stupid troll I’ve ever encountered. You don’t want anyone to think you and he are the same person. That would be embarrassing for you.

Just taking a fun jab at you! Never posted, just skim.

Personally, I’m on the fence whether this is a tournament team. Need to see how the schedule lays out. Conference, specifically.

A rocky early conference schedule and I’ve got my side of the fence. This group has to keep its head above water in the Dec/early Jan conference portion to contend for a bid.

Follow up in Aug/Sep when the schedule is released if you’d like, but let’s think about an amount that hasn’t been circulating in US bill denominations for quite some time...and not the $2 bill ;)

Happy to share my Venmo with you when it comes time.

2012- 29th
2013- 28th
2014- 37th
2015- 75th
2016- 146th
2017- 53rd
2018- 92nd
2019 -82nd

What were his defensive rankings during that time?

Just taking a fun jab at you! Never posted, just skim.

Personally, I’m on the fence whether this is a tournament team. Need to see how the schedule lays out. Conference, specifically.

A rocky early conference schedule and I’ve got my side of the fence. This group has to keep its head above water in the Dec/early Jan conference portion to contend for a bid.

Follow up in Aug/Sep when the schedule is released if you’d like, but let’s think about an amount that hasn’t been circulating in US bill denominations for quite some time...and not the $2 bill ;)

Happy to share my Venmo with you when it comes time.
Seemed like a weird first post, but there has to be a first post for everyone.

Coincidentally, I lived in Briscoe my Freshman and Sophomore years.

Good gawd I hope there is a large cilff at mile 3.9...
Didn’t fall off a cliff at any point. ;)

Your cut and paste was correct from Kenpom. Offensively, UVA was better, but the stats also show UD was pretty good overall those years too with less pure talent. We’ll see what happens in years 3-6 at IU and I’m optimistic.

We're all holding our breath
I know you think you are funny, but this recruitment is actually pretty important for the program. He appears to be a good all-around player who can shoot it and seems to be physically tough and fundamentally sound. He’s the kind of player that Butler and Purdue has had at forward that plays hard, shoots well, and defends. We need more of these guys. Yes, not a 5-star, but potentially a very good building block.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT