ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs. Coaching

Pretty much. You know what you are getting from Matt, yet you keep him around. Seriously, why does PU keep Matt around? Don't call me names and let's talk about it: why keep Matt around after 16 years when he has never done anything significant in the Tourney? Do you really believe that Matt is a better coach than Crean?

You have already set up that being positive is embarrassing and delusional. Isn’t that calling names? Then say “don’t call me names”. Rich.

You have already set up that being positive is embarrassing and delusional. Isn’t that calling names? Then say “don’t call me names”. Rich.
Do you want to discuss whether Matt should be terminated like Crean or not? This is the main topic of the thread.

Last edited:
Gee. I fail to see where Bob said when he started the thread let’s debate if Matt should be terminated like Crean. Seems to be something more on your mind. Me, I got distracted by use of the word never and then a quick backtrack.

But let’s play. You said “should be terminated like Crean”. Present tense. No, is my reply.

Last edited:
Gee. I fail to see where Bob said when he started the thread let’s debate if Matt should be terminated like Crean. Seems to be something more on your mind. Me, I got distracted by use of the word never and then a quick backtrack.

But let’s play. You said “should be terminated like Crean”. Present tense. No. Is my reply.
The thread is about the coaching standard of IU and the coaching standard of PU. Bob felt IU should be more like PU and likes Matt Painter. You got really focused on nitpicking me and me in general rather than any argument. We're back on track.

It has been 16 years, and Matt Painter has failed to achieve anything significant at a national level. Matt has failed to recruit at a high enough level. I'm trying to understand why PU fans like yourself are ok with this when Tom Crean, a more accomplished coach and better recruiter, was terminated at IU after 9 years and should have been terminated sooner. Why are you ok with the aforementioned?

The adults are speaking and having a debate, not name calling and attacking others.
I am no adult and would never debate against you. I agree, and did yesterday, painter MUST be fired. I just don’t know who we would get. That’s why I come here. Trying to get the inside scoop on all the good candidates. Granted we will only get a shot at what IU doesn’t want. Still a win for us.

The thread is about the coaching standard of IU and the coaching standard of PU. Bob felt IU should be more like PU and likes Matt Painter. You got really focused on nitpicking me and me in general rather than any argument. We're back on track.

It has been 16 years, and Matt Painter has failed to achieve anything significant at a national level. Matt has failed to recruit at a high enough level. I'm trying to understand why PU fans like yourself are ok with this when Tom Crean, a more accomplished coach and better recruiter, was terminated at IU after 9 years and should have been terminated sooner. Why are you ok with the aforementioned?

Results aside. After 9 years were you comfortable that Crean represented IU well? That he was held in high regard by other coaches? That he had built solid connections with high school coaches? That he was capable of the changes necessary to be successful? Was he someone you’ld want to have a beer with?

I can answer yes to all of them for
paint. I was comfortable that he would turn it around.

Results aside. After 9 years were you comfortable that Crean represented IU well? That he was held in high regard by other coaches? That he had built solid connections with high school coaches? That he was capable of the changes necessary to be successful? Was he someone you’ld want to have a beer with?

I can answer yes to all of them for
paint. I was comfortable that he would turn it around.
First off, the bottom line is wins and losses: any coach will at a competitive level will tell you that.

I don't care if everybody loves IU's coach or if he wants to be my friend. I care if the coach is a great recruiter, great at X's and O's, a great motivator, great at preparation, and able to make proper in game adjustments. I care if the program is consistently winning at a high level. IU wasn't ok with Crean being "good" every now and again and never great. At IU, you are going to cross the point of no return if you don't win enough: this doesn't happen at PU

There is just a fundamental difference between IU and PU when it comes to standard of success: Bob Knight set our standard, Gene Keady PU's. I'll be the first to point out Archie isn't cutting it, and I don't think it is a revelation at this point. But, I also don't want Crean to come back or Painter as coach. There is something a lot better, I've seen it, and IU needs to keep looking for it until they find it.

First off, the bottom line is wins and losses: any coach will at a competitive level will tell you that.

I don't care if everybody loves IU's coach or if he wants to be my friend. I care if the coach is a great recruiter, great at X's and O's, a great motivator, great at preparation, and able to make proper in game adjustments. I care if the program is consistently winning at a high level. IU wasn't ok with Crean being "good" every now and again and never great. At IU, you are going to cross the point of no return if you don't win enough: this doesn't happen at PU

There is just a fundamental difference between IU and PU when it comes to standard of success: Bob Knight set our standard, Gene Keady PU's. I'll be the first to point out Archie isn't cutting it, and I don't think it is a revelation at this point. But, I also don't want Crean to come back or Painter as coach. There is something a lot better, I've seen it, and IU needs to keep looking for it until they find it.
Thought I would get that bottom line response. It’s what leads programs to hire known cheaters that can lead to 20 years of futility.

If IU makes a change I’m hoping they look beyond the bottom line.

Last edited:

How are you not the AD?! If I was in a position to hire an AD, you would be the top of my list. Unfortunately, I only have a Purdue degree and will never be in such a position.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold
ADVERTISEMENT