ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting seems to be picking up with these visits recently

Everything has gone about as well as you could hope for so far with this coaching staff but they need to keep it rolling. A coach’s first recruiting class is his most important. Archie whiffed on his and it cost him his job.

Everything has gone about as well as you could hope for so far with this coaching staff but they need to keep it rolling. A coach’s first recruiting class is his most important. Archie whiffed on his and it cost him his job.
Don’t totally disagree, but that guy whiffed more than a few times. That’s what cost him his job.

I think RT might show flashes of perimeter competency, but I think TJD will struggle to be effective away from the basket. I’m not saying he can’t improve, but that hill he has to climb is steep and long, and I doubt he’s going to make much measurable headway. He’s just not comfortable on that part of the floor.
I guess it depends on the expectations. I don't think he will be a consistent shooter from more than 15 ft. But,all he needs to do is make enough to pose a threat. He is already capable of taking the ball to the hole,so I see a shot fake,dribble drive game as a possibility. If you go back to his freshman year,he did show some ability to shoot out to about 18 ft.

Disagree about the first recruiting class. It's all relative, but if you think about it, having a great first class is not likely. No track record to speak of and you've got to build relationships from scratch vs almost all other staff's who've had months or years to recruit. I'd say most new coaches/staff's recruiting normally gets stronger as they establish their culture, programs and style. Generally the exceptions are guys who know they're getting back in the game and they stay active in AAU and with their coaches and influencers. If you look back at the programs we want to emulate, I think very few had "lights out" first classes. If I was the parent of a recruit for 2022 and beyond and my kid was interested in IU, I'd say "keep talking to them but wait and see how the season goes". THat's why I'd generally not expect any early commits. There's no reason to and lots of reasons to wait.

Disagree about the first recruiting class. It's all relative, but if you think about it, having a great first class is not likely. No track record to speak of and you've got to build relationships from scratch vs almost all other staff's who've had months or years to recruit. I'd say most new coaches/staff's recruiting normally gets stronger as they establish their culture, programs and style. Generally the exceptions are guys who know they're getting back in the game and they stay active in AAU and with their coaches and influencers. If you look back at the programs we want to emulate, I think very few had "lights out" first classes. If I was the parent of a recruit for 2022 and beyond and my kid was interested in IU, I'd say "keep talking to them but wait and see how the season goes". THat's why I'd generally not expect any early commits. There's no reason to and lots of reasons to wait.
I think the difference maker could be that Woodson plausibly has more NBA experience than nearly any other coach in the college game - both as a player and as a coach. Even Juwan didn't have the head coaching experience CMW has.

What I've been reading about recruit reactions is that CMW's NBA experience resonates. Not sure how many have said that Woodson's been where they want to go and knows what it takes to get there, but it has been a significant percentage in both the 2022 class and the 2023 class.

While you could say Duncomb and Bates were other folks recruits (CAM on Duncomb and Kenya Hunter on Bates), Woodson had to close both to, in one case, stay with his IU commitment and the second in committing to IU. The Bates family in particular spoke to how impressed they were with Woodson.

In addition, IU apparently is lacking nothing in terms of facilities, living arrangements, academic support and commitment to the recruits beyond just basketball. If I'm a parent I think all of those things will make IU a strong contender even for recruits planning on making a decision this summer. Interesting to see what happens, but I am more optimistic than you seem to be that Woodson and staff can overcome the reticence of not having a collegiate record.

If you look at Juwan Howard, it didn't hurt Michigan's recruiting that he hadn't ever coached at the collegiate level and had no head coaching record at all to convince recruits.

I think the difference maker could be that Woodson plausibly has more NBA experience than nearly any other coach in the college game - both as a player and as a coach. Even Juwan didn't have the head coaching experience CMW has.

What I've been reading about recruit reactions is that CMW's NBA experience resonates. Not sure how many have said that Woodson's been where they want to go and knows what it takes to get there, but it has been a significant percentage in both the 2022 class and the 2023 class.

While you could say Duncomb and Bates were other folks recruits (CAM on Duncomb and Kenya Hunter on Bates), Woodson had to close both to, in one case, stay with his IU commitment and the second in committing to IU. The Bates family in particular spoke to how impressed they were with Woodson.

In addition, IU apparently is lacking nothing in terms of facilities, living arrangements, academic support and commitment to the recruits beyond just basketball. If I'm a parent I think all of those things will make IU a strong contender even for recruits planning on making a decision this summer. Interesting to see what happens, but I am more optimistic than you seem to be that Woodson and staff can overcome the reticence of not having a collegiate record.

If you look at Juwan Howard, it didn't hurt Michigan's recruiting that he hadn't ever coached at the collegiate level and had no head coaching record at all to convince recruits.
You're absolutely right: it COULD be the difference maker. I'd give CMW and Scott Dolson an A+ in how they've handled things so far, I'm just trying to tamp down unrealistic recruiting expectations at this point. He may hit on a recruit(s) who want to end their recruitment and are so impressed with him the choose to, but I think it's more likely that these kids parents will say "there's no rush and let's see how their frist season plays out before jumping in." Moreso than CMW, I'd put J Howard in that camp of guys who were prepping for a HC gig and I think he had established those relationships with AAU and recruiting folks in preparation. CMW hadn't and that might be a bit of a hurdle at first.

I guess it depends on the expectations. I don't think he will be a consistent shooter from more than 15 ft. But,all he needs to do is make enough to pose a threat. He is already capable of taking the ball to the hole,so I see a shot fake,dribble drive game as a possibility. If you go back to his freshman year,he did show some ability to shoot out to about 18 ft.
I highly doubt he makes enough from 15 feet to pose a threat. Defenses will gladly give him that shot, since he’s never shown he can make it,

I highly doubt he makes enough from 15 feet to pose a threat. Defenses will gladly give him that shot, since he’s never shown he can make it,
Only takes a cpl to make guys jump out and guard. He did make a few 18 footers his freshman year...but agree its not enough yet.

Only takes a cpl to make guys jump out and guard. He did make a few 18 footers his freshman year...but agree its not enough yet.
I don’t remember anything like that from his first year, and his few attempts since then are exercises in poor form, with predictable results. Hope he can develop that aspect of his game, but he has a long way to go.

Nailed it. We are selling that we are the college version of the Gleague IMO. If all of our recruits think they can be in the nba, that is gonna lead to some awesome teams.

I don’t remember anything like that from his first year, and his few attempts since then are exercises in poor form, with predictable results. Hope he can develop that aspect of his game, but he has a long way to go.
I do. Even remember one coming as the shot clock was winding down...was very close to a 3. Obviously it doesn't happen often,but I believe part of that was lack of development by the staff. Yes,he needs work

“GET OLD…STAYYYY OLD!”

“Forget about 5 stars. Was Oladipo a 5 star?”
Keep embarrassing yourself. That’s ok now we know why your momma and wife leave you in the car/house. To embarrassed to be seen with you.

You're absolutely right: it COULD be the difference maker. I'd give CMW and Scott Dolson an A+ in how they've handled things so far, I'm just trying to tamp down unrealistic recruiting expectations at this point. He may hit on a recruit(s) who want to end their recruitment and are so impressed with him the choose to, but I think it's more likely that these kids parents will say "there's no rush and let's see how their frist season plays out before jumping in." Moreso than CMW, I'd put J Howard in that camp of guys who were prepping for a HC gig and I think he had established those relationships with AAU and recruiting folks in preparation. CMW hadn't and that might be a bit of a hurdle at first.
You know Juwan had relationships with AAU coaches? How? When did he do this? Why would he have done it if he didn't know he would be considered for an HC job in college before he got approached by UM. You don't have any surety as to how kids parents will choose (a lot of times they don't choose, the kid still makes the decision). You just repeated what you said the first time without adding any further support. Neither one of us has any idea how this will play out, but Juwan was not any more qualified to recruit in college than CMW. Tamar Bates already proved you wrong!

Who on this staff compares to Crean and Archies regimes? Neither had a Matta or the NBA credentials. Neither one coached as long as woody. This staff isn’t comparable to any of the ones since Knight. On paper at least.

I don't know, man. Sampson and Senderoff were a force.

ADVERTISEMENT