ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
the next two weekends have seemingly a total of 10-14 recruits coming in for what appears to be maybe 5 more spots.

Do some recruits want to come to IU but they haven’t given the “we have a spot for you” confirmation? Are some verballed elsewhere but open to IU consideration still?

Seems like an almost awkward situation, almost like a game of musical chairs, to have more visitors than spots even available

I realize some visitors are already verbals to IU, but still think there are more kids coming than actual open spots. Intrigued how the final dance goes down, as in how schools prioritize and even communicate where you stand to the various recruits seemingly in a game of mutual chicken - where do you commit to before all the slots are spoken for? Any insights?

Reactions: vesuvius13
the next two weekends have seemingly a total of 10-14 recruits coming in for what appears to be maybe 5 more spots.

Do some recruits want to come to IU but they haven’t given the “we have a spot for you” confirmation? Are some verballed elsewhere but open to IU consideration still?

Seems like an almost awkward situation, almost like a game of musical chairs, to have more visitors than spots even available

I realize some visitors are already verbals to IU, but still think there are more kids coming than actual open spots. Intrigued how the final dance goes down, as in how schools prioritize and even communicate where you stand to the various recruits seemingly in a game of mutual chicken - where do you commit to before all the slots are spoken for? Any insights?
I dont get your thinking. This happens all the time. My company has two openings. We interview/recruit 6-7 for the positions to see if they fit us and if they want to be a part of the group. Offers are made then we wait to see who wants it.

I dont get your thinking. This happens all the time. My company has two openings. We interview/recruit 6-7 for the positions to see if they fit us and if they want to be a part of the group. Offers are made then we wait to see who wants it.
You don't likely bring all 6-7 candidates to your company at the same time, with each other, knowing there is 1-2 spots?

you may know what you think you know about recruiting, but I think there's a lot that goes into HS kids, who often flip, coaches who may be leaving, verbals vs. "You are our choice if player A doesn't commit", Do I wait to Feb or sign early?

Think there is an art to it and wondered if parents who just went through it or people who know could weight in, in all due respect, not people with "here's how we do it" comparisons that I don't think are same as P5 FB signing recruiting. :)

There is definitely a pecking order with the kids coming in.

Say at receiver, if Brown and Robertson wanted to commit, they're coming no questions asked. But let's says Marques Bell wants to commit, than things get hairy because we than have to figure out what Brown and Robertson are doing because they are 1a and 1b on our board right now.

Just because a player has a offer also doesn't always mean it's a comittable one. Holtz, the big tackle from fort Wayne, is someone we could probably get anytime we want, but we have other players we like better right now that we think we can get. Do we maybe come back to him later, possibly. But if he called and said, I want to come to IU, we wouldn't accept right now.

There is definitely a pecking order with the kids coming in.

Say at receiver, if Brown and Robertson wanted to commit, they're coming no questions asked. But let's says Marques Bell wants to commit, than things get hairy because we than have to figure out what Brown and Robertson are doing because they are 1a and 1b on our board right now.

Just because a player has a offer also doesn't always mean it's a comittable one. Holtz, the big tackle from fort Wayne, is someone we could probably get anytime we want, but we have other players we like better right now that we think we can get. Do we maybe come back to him later, possibly. But if he called and said, I want to come to IU, we wouldn't accept right now.

That’s the kind of thing I presumed but don’t fully get the politics or logistics how it works. We have about 5 OL commits nownit seems with Stanford transfer, but the Canadian kid (who seems pretty jazzed to be here) is in this weekend. With the transfer is there still a spot for him or “we have to see if there is still a spot now son, sorry.” Did Stanford commit now knowing chairs were being pulled in scholarships musical chairs game?

I get some are rated higher than others, but also think if a kids willing to commit early most of time coach/school won’t renege on the offer. It’s interesting but still say until first, then final signing day ink is on the paper, it can still be fluid.

That’s the kind of thing I presumed but don’t fully get the politics or logistics how it works. We have about 5 OL commits nownit seems with Stanford transfer, but the Canadian kid (who seems pretty jazzed to be here) is in this weekend. With the transfer is there still a spot for him or “we have to see if there is still a spot now son, sorry.” Did Stanford commit now knowing chairs were being pulled in scholarships musical chairs game?

I get some are rated higher than others, but also think if a kids willing to commit early most of time coach/school won’t renege on the offer. It’s interesting but still say until first, then final signing day ink is on the paper, it can still be fluid.

I think we're still after a o-tackle in the class, so Magnussen is still a option.

We're definitely still after a receiver or two depending on who they are, Harris or Craig if they want to commit and a safety possibly, especially Bonds. I could even see a running back since were bringing in Baldwin this weekend.

We have a lot of moving parts right now.

Some of 10-14 recruits you are referring to are part of our current commits. I believe only 4-5 are uncommitted kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT