ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Philosophy

I've not seen then posted and thought it was an interesting read.

thanks for the link. short but interesting read confirming what we knew. i'll tell ya what's kind of unfortunate about all of this really isn't college teams going the foreign route but the false bill of goods youth clubs are selling here in the states. some of these clubs have upwards of 5,000 kids with half the parents believing little joey is going to get a D1 scholly. they're paying from $1,500 to in some cases north of $10,000 a year, year after year. what they don't understand is that the available pool of D1 schollys is tiny, and shrinking even more with the foreign rejects (and they are mostly rejects yet still competitive with or better or at least more mature than our kids) coming over here and taking up spots. D1 soccer only has 9.9 scholarships. these kids would be better off getting B's in school than believing the bullshit hte clubs sell the parents to induce them to keep handing over checks

thanks for the link. short but interesting read confirming what we knew. i'll tell ya what's kind of unfortunate about all of this really isn't college teams going the foreign route but the false bill of goods youth clubs are selling here in the states. some of these clubs have upwards of 5,000 kids with half the parents believing little joey is going to get a D1 scholly. they're paying from $1,500 to in some cases north of $10,000 a year, year after year. what they don't understand is that the available pool of D1 schollys is tiny, and shrinking even more with the foreign rejects (and they are mostly rejects yet still competitive with or better or at least more mature than our kids) coming over here and taking up spots. D1 soccer only has 9.9 scholarships. these kids would be better off getting B's in school than believing the bullshit hte clubs sell the parents to induce them to keep handing over checks
Maybe these parents should educate themselves and not live vicariously through their kids?

my son’s club talks zero about college school. They don’t put an emphasis on winning. They put emphasis on development and experience and of course winning is a fun byproduct.
I’m sure in big cities with more area teams to choose from it’s different than Bloomington but any parent investing in travel sports be they think it will lead to a scholarship really only has themselves to blame for believing that fantasy.

Maybe these parents should educate themselves and not live vicariously through their kids?

my son’s club talks zero about college school. They don’t put an emphasis on winning. They put emphasis on development and experience and of course winning is a fun byproduct.
I’m sure in big cities with more area teams to choose from it’s different than Bloomington but any parent investing in travel sports be they think it will lead to a scholarship really only has themselves to blame for believing that fantasy.
i know and mostly agree with you. particularly on getting educated. i don't think it's living vicariously tho. i think it's genuine enthusiasm for their kids and many clubs are happy to parlay that into checks. it's just crazy how much money is involved these days and what a massive thing it's all become. Rush is north of 35,000 kids at this point. with total expenses one season of ECNL is right at ten grand. there are expectations that go along with that kind of outlay that clubs aren't quick to dispel.

glad to hear it sounds like your son is at a good club

ADVERTISEMENT