ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting, online business model.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Do you think peegs business model changes away from recruiting? I have to think the interest is gonna start nose diving. I never really cared about recruiting, was a wait till they commit then try to find some video on them. But today? Who cares. This kid might change his mind 3 times before the spring.

Think how much time and effort people put into Liam. Stupid. Why should IU fans care in the portal era with woody at the helm. Seems like a waste of time and life to me. Fatjohns should shift to more current team stuff.

Do you think peegs business model changes away from recruiting? I have to think the interest is gonna start nose diving. I never really cared about recruiting, was a wait till they commit then try to find some video on them. But today? Who cares. This kid might change his mind 3 times before the spring.

Think how much time and effort people put into Liam. Stupid. Why should IU fans care in the portal era with woody at the helm. Seems like a waste of time and life to me. Fatjohns should shift to more current team stuff.

I agree 100%. I started to create a similar thread but figured the trolls would claim it was sour grapes. IF Woody, big IF, can replicate to some degree what he did this past offseason in the portal, then it's difficult to argue against prioritizing the portal over recruiting. I'm fine with players cutting their teeth elsewhere.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Agreed. I miss following the good high school kids and knowing they’d be at IU for four years. Damon Bailey anyone? But those days are long gone. This approach reminds me a bit of Cal’s one and done theory, except for the fact you are counting on seasoned, proven players, not freshmen. The chemistry is always going to be tricky, but so far I think that is one thing Woody has done a good job with. The players have all been pretty unselfish, liked each other, etc.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I started to create a similar thread but figured the trolls would claim it was sour grapes. IF Woody, big IF, can replicate to some degree what he did this past offseason in the portal, then it's difficult to argue against prioritizing the portal over recruiting. I'm fine with players cutting their teeth elsewhere.
As long as he utilizes the portal kids well and wins…for sure.

But Woody did land Sisley. And still has a great shot at Mullins, Reibe, and a couple other highly ranked 25 kids.

I think Woodson is working hard to utilize BOTH recruiting pools. As he should.

Another thing to consider is that programs will (possibly) get better at taking care of their current team and have less overall portal players.

We’re (everyone is) still getting used to the new landscape. It can still evolve a few different ways.

The AD’s, coaches, etc. need to be ready to capitalize on the opportunities available.

But Woody did land Sisley. And still has a great shot at Mullins, Reibe, and a couple other highly ranked 25 kids.
HE As long as he utilizes the portal kids well and wins…for sure.

this loss was strictly about money we had it but declined, I get it and agree with the decision, chemistry means a lot, he got his gold bars cool don't blame the kid id do the same, but you overpay for unproven it will bite you in the ass.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
players talk to each other
For sure. If a player is making 2 million and on the bench and Newton is making 250k and starting there are gonna be problems. 18-20 year olds? Gonna be major problems. This new dynamic in college bball is for sure fascinating. Everything is different. I’m here for it!!!

For sure. If a player is making 2 million and on the bench and Newton is making 250k and starting there are gonna be problems. 18-20 year olds? Gonna be major problems. This new dynamic in college bball is for sure fascinating. Everything is different. I’m here for it!!!
Will be interesting to see.

Do the owners that are paying two million allow their player to be benched? If some booster is paying half the payroll isn’t it their team?

Pretty easy explanation, people click on the articles and it drives ad revenue. Plus, we don't have anything else to do in the off-season.
The fact you bring it up speaks volumes.

this loss was strictly about money we had it but declined, I get it and agree with the decision, chemistry means a lot, he got his gold bars cool don't blame the kid id do the same, but you overpay for unproven it will bite you in the ass.
Rumor it was over 80% of the budget for shrews.

College Basketball teams are starting to operate like the US Government, only problem teams don't have those printing presses! Spend baby spend, that will fix it!

did you see where the qb at unlv just left a 4-0 team because he felt they didn't live up to what he was promised financially.

Will be interesting to see.

Do the owners that are paying two million allow their player to be benched? If some booster is paying half the payroll isn’t it their team?
It’s only a few big dogs. And woody has them sold right now. We win all gravy. If not?? Those checks won’t be there.

Yep sent the article to my buddy. Crazy world. Of course unlv lied and didn’t pay up.
Can't blame the kid. If he was promised $100k to go from Holy Cross or whatever to UNLV and they didn't give him the money - I don't blame him at all for sitting out, redshirting and getting a deal next year from someone who will actually pay him - especially after he supposedly looked really good in his first 3 games (I have not watched a down of UNLV football in my life). I've also read somewhere that he has played well and now wants more than was agreed to - if that is issue than I would blame the kid. Still this situation sounds like an assistant coach promised him $ that they didn't have.

Do you know if this ambivalence towards recruiting is just IU fans, that would be interesting to know? I have almost completely lost interest in recruiting. 10-12 years ago i followed it, used to see who was doing well at AAU tourneys, ect.......now it doesn't cross my mind.
I would guess it is not just our fan base growing apathetic.

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Just because you seemingly don't enjoy recruiting, doesn't mean others do not find it interesting.

locker room checkbook envy. Welcome to the future. It kinda sucks. Hopefully all this $$ produces some results for us soon before the ATMs stop spewing cash at players.

Can't blame the kid. If he was promised $100k to go from Holy Cross or whatever to UNLV and they didn't give him the money - I don't blame him at all for sitting out, redshirting and getting a deal next year from someone who will actually pay him - especially after he supposedly looked really good in his first 3 games (I have not watched a down of UNLV football in my life). I've also read somewhere that he has played well and now wants more than was agreed to - if that is issue than I would blame the kid. Still this situation sounds like an assistant coach promised him $ that they didn't have.
its Vegas, for crying out loud. how could they not come up with the money?!
haha

Do you know if this ambivalence towards recruiting is just IU fans, that would be interesting to know? I have almost completely lost interest in recruiting. 10-12 years ago i followed it, used to see who was doing well at AAU tourneys, ect.......now it doesn't cross my mind.
so, you are saying when they start hyping some 8th grade kid from fishers ind , that is going to be the next superstar, and his every move has been chronicled on these message boards for 5 years. and poof he gone, that makes you lose interest. I kind of agree

This year is the least interested I have been since the late 90's.

I get tired of the hyped players by writers pretending some of these kids are in love or leaning to IU. Fland, McQueen and Liam[even if he committed but wasn't truly committed] are examples of IU failures and all the hype lies for clicks. Be honest and write facts not just clickbaits.

I get tired of the hyped players by writers pretending some of these kids are in love or leaning to IU. Fland, McQueen and Liam[even if he committed but wasn't truly committed] are examples of IU failures and all the hype lies for clicks. Be honest and write facts not just clickbaits.
Tough to put Liam's situation on the writers... he literally commited to IU on TV.

Tough to put Liam's situation on the writers... he literally commited to IU on TV.
Just way too much time wasted on recruiting. Never made any sense to me for fans. Who cares about 17 year old kids. They almost always suck year one lol.

Fatjohns can’t get any inside knowledge of the current team tho. Coyle actually gets much more stuff on the current team. Has done a great job getting guests on his show.

Just way too much time wasted on recruiting. Never made any sense to me for fans. Who cares about 17 year old kids. They almost always suck year one lol.

Fatjohns can’t get any inside knowledge of the current team tho. Coyle actually gets much more stuff on the current team. Has done a great job getting guests on his show.
It’s also how the game has changed and how our program is trying to model itself.

If we were fans of the model where a team is all about recruiting longer term players and developing a team (striving for beating others on coaching and team development), I know I would be more interested.

But, it seems like we are going with Kentucky model. There will never be a lack of talent at IU, and we will be sending kids to the NBA each year. But, it’s not so much about team development, coaching and having roster stability.

Even if you won your fantasy football league last year, do you care about who was on that roster? No. Just that you made the right roster moves and won a little $.

It’s also how the game has changed and how our program is trying to model itself.

If we were fans of the model where a team is all about recruiting longer term players and developing a team (striving for beating others on coaching and team development), I know I would be more interested.
The Purdues of the world will be few and far between unless the rules change.

I’m not sure we are the Cal UK model. They got a bunch of highly rated freshman each year who took time to adjust to college. That was hard to make work sometimes.

We have a lot of new players who need to gel, that is like UK. But aside from Bryson our team has college experience and won’t face the learning curve freshman do. It should be easier for this team to hit the ground running.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT