ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Needs to be Improved

FormerRevMatt

Freshman
Nov 16, 2017
I don't think Archie has received enough criticism for his recruiting. I like how he's recruiting inside out and has emphasized Indiana high school players; also, obviously IU needs role players and guys with good basketball instincts. But, IU has never won w/o highly ranked players, and people have always gone overboard claiming that RMK did more with less. Not ncessarily true.

IU's best teams over the last 40 years always had more highly-rated players than we've had in recent years. Consider the number of McDonald's All-Americans the best IU teams had during that period (not including players who transferred):

1981 Champions: 3 (Tolbert, Turner, Thomas)
1987 Champions: 2 (Thomas, Calloway)
1992 Final Four: 5 (Anderson, P. Graham, G. Graham, Bailey, Henderson)

Even Knight's "amazing" 1989 Big Ten Championship team had 2 (Anderson, Edwards).

After Knight, the 2002 Runner Up team had 2 (Fife, Jeffries).

IU needs more than one elite recruit on the roster at a time to experience the success we are all hoping for.

He has been criticized on this board and his recruiting likely won't improve unless he starts winning and winning fast.

I don't think Archie has received enough criticism for his recruiting. I like how he's recruiting inside out and has emphasized Indiana high school players; also, obviously IU needs role players and guys with good basketball instincts. But, IU has never won w/o highly ranked players, and people have always gone overboard claiming that RMK did more with less. Not ncessarily true.

IU's best teams over the last 40 years always had more highly-rated players than we've had in recent years. Consider the number of McDonald's All-Americans the best IU teams had during that period (not including players who transferred):

Even Knight's "amazing" 1989 Big Ten Championship team had 2 (Anderson, Edwards).

IU needs more than one elite recruit on the roster at a time to experience the success we are all hoping for.
tenor.gif

He has been criticized on this board and his recruiting likely won't improve unless he starts winning and winning fast.
This right here is the problem, he's not Calipari in terms of being able to sell a sinking ship. He's also not putting a product on the floor that is fun to watch or enticing to the top recruits as we have one of the worst offenses in the country.

It's likely not going to happen until we start winning and it's hard to believe that's going to happen without more talent. Which makes how we finish this year extremely important for the future of the program.

I agree to an extent, but in the OAD era, it's tough to keep guys from that top level for 3 or 4 years. He does need to have 7-8 top 75 guys, and we aren't there yet. Archie has added 3 in 2 years. He needs to do a little better.

No, there needs to be 40 minutes of effort on both ends of the floor. We have enough talent, just lack of focus and effort.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

Well, the landscape has changed since those days, as in every team you listed, the McD's spanned more than 1 class. Guess what? Those kids probably aren't staying today. He's recruited 2 straight McD's AA and IN Mr B's, but one of them is already gone. He's got to recruit better than we ever have at IU to accomplish what you are wanting. Probably multiple McD's AA in each class. Don't think that's realistic. I think his recruiting til now, in terms of *s anyway, has been fine. Obviously we needed more shooters and I think next year's class is unbalanced at the moment. Too many wings/2s and we still need: SHOOTERS!, a PG and a big. Honestly I expect some attrition at the end of the year and for him to make a run at some of those needs in the spring with transfers, recommits (players who withdraw if their coach leaves) and grad transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT