ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting & Coaches - per latest Tackle visit

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I am not deep into recruiting scene, just follow along what see on boards/twitter. Certainly think have to defer to coaches, but...ALSO have to think good/great coaches attract high caliber players too right?

The new Juco tackle visitor for late Jan is 6'5 310, so seemingly has the size to play tackle. But his offer list it pretty weak. Like East Carolina, FIU, etc. They may see body type they like, but if the big boys really thought he was a serious prospect, you don't think they'd be sniffing around? Hell, what about the often similar schools we compete against for recruits: the Syracuse, Missouri, Purdue's of the world?

Then I ask, is HILLER a good recruiter? Feel like Hart can open up RB opportunies and Heard can do same for WR. But Hiller doesn't seem to be getting huge upside talent. M Bedford was a big get, but I feel like that was a Tom Allen & entire off staff, not a Hiller led from start to finish, recruiting win.

I'm not on the inside so can't say definiitely, but I still admit, he's one I am not 100% sold on. Coach T with Safeties is another. Womack as DC is the other. Those would be on my review list.

As Allen reviews his staff for two new openings we know, think he has to factor in "ability to recruit" along with the X's/O's, talent development and game management skills of potential new hires. Hope he continues to build a highly talented staff he loves for the future.

I am not deep into recruiting scene, just follow along what see on boards/twitter. Certainly think have to defer to coaches, but...ALSO have to think good/great coaches attract high caliber players too right?

The new Juco tackle visitor for late Jan is 6'5 310, so seemingly has the size to play tackle. But his offer list it pretty weak. Like East Carolina, FIU, etc. They may see body type they like, but if the big boys really thought he was a serious prospect, you don't think they'd be sniffing around? Hell, what about the often similar schools we compete against for recruits: the Syracuse, Missouri, Purdue's of the world?

Then I ask, is HILLER a good recruiter? Feel like Hart can open up RB opportunies and Heard can do same for WR. But Hiller doesn't seem to be getting huge upside talent. M Bedford was a big get, but I feel like that was a Tom Allen & entire off staff, not a Hiller led from start to finish, recruiting win.

I'm not on the inside so can't say definiitely, but I still admit, he's one I am not 100% sold on. Coach T with Safeties is another. Womack as DC is the other. Those would be on my review list.

As Allen reviews his staff for two new openings we know, think he has to factor in "ability to recruit" along with the X's/O's, talent development and game management skills of potential new hires. Hope he continues to build a highly talented staff he loves for the future.
Assistant coaches in general must be able to recruit in order to keep their jobs. That's a program life-blood. Having said this, it's true some are willing to "work" harder at recruiting than others.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Indiana's recruiting must take off this summer/fall. We've been told that the success of this past season should impact the upcoming class.

Playing a very tough schedule against schools who typically recruit at sky high levels, puts pressure on the Indiana staff to recruit top 30 classes. That's something we haven't done in the past. I certainly think Indiana is at the point where top 30 classes should be possible.

I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on this stuff. Let’s just look at IU vs PU. Pu has a great class but I don’t know how many 4* receivers you need if you can’t keep your quarterback upright. Their priority is on adding skill guys which will get high ratings. Our priority was on adding offensive linemen. Not conducive to having highly ranked classes. Kind of ironic because I was thinking PU was deficient in the o line play this year and we may be more in need of skill guys. Just depends on coaches assessment of their needs I think I like our class better. If Pu shores up theirs oline and flint play then I will probably change my mind.

I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on this stuff. Let’s just look at IU vs PU. Pu has a great class but I don’t know how many 4* receivers you need if you can’t keep your quarterback upright. Their priority is on adding skill guys which will get high ratings. Our priority was on adding offensive linemen. Not conducive to having highly ranked classes. Kind of ironic because I was thinking PU was deficient in the o line play this year and we may be more in need of skill guys. Just depends on coaches assessment of their needs I think I like our class better. If Pu shores up theirs oline and flint play then I will probably change my mind.

Purdue has signed 17 OL since Brom took over in 2017 and brought in 3 grad transfers. 20 OL in 4 years. IU has signed 14 plus 1 grad transfer over the same time frame. Who has the priority on the lines?

I don't get the narrative you are pushing. Would we just say "no thanks" to 4* WRs and DBs?

Purdue has signed 17 OL since Brom took over in 2017 and brought in 3 grad transfers. 20 OL in 4 years. IU has signed 14 plus 1 grad transfer over the same time frame. Who has the priority on the lines?

I don't get the narrative you are pushing. Would we just say "no thanks" to 4* WRs and DBs?
You need to re check your numbers.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Also it seems that IU is getting more productivity out of the lineman that they are getting. Don’t get me wrong definitely not averse to getting 4* at any position.

Also it seems that IU is getting more productivity out of the lineman that they are getting. Don’t get me wrong definitely not averse to getting 4* at any position.

Am I off one somewhere in my count?

And that is a completely different argument, which I agree with. Purdue just doesn't seem to have the development out of their OL that we have had so far. Could be ours were just a little more ready out of HS, we got lucky, OL coach is just better here, Purdue sucks, etc.

Bedford really makes our OL recruiting look better with how he played when Cronk went down. Neither coach has had enough time to get upper classmen OL (assuming everyone redshirts, which is mostly true). Starting 2020 we can really start to see who has done a better job with the OL position, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT