ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiter - Motivator - Tactician

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Yesterday I was watching the replay of the 1987 game between IU and Illinois on B1G network and Dickie V said during the game that he rates coaches on these three characteristics. He proceeded to apply his criteria to Bob Knight and Lou Henson. I thought I would do it for a few coaches here on a scale of 1-10 with the average NCAA coach scoring a 5. Add more if you'd like.

Coach Archie:
Recruiter: 4
Motivator: 5
Tactician: 9

The recruiting has been a problem in Bloomington forever and I can't understand why. Teams under Archie have exhibited weirdly different levels of motivation on any given game night. You can argue about little plays here or there, but Coach Archie runs really good stuff. His teams run good sets on out-of-bounds plays and generally don't get scored upon on them. He is taking less talented teams and trying to set them up to compete against better players.

Cowardpari
Recruiter: 10
Tactician: 1

He has been the best recruiter in the history of the game in my opinion. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Pork Chop
Recruiter: 7
Motivator: 7
Tactician: 7

He's built a solid program. He does a solid job of recruiting. He's a solid game coach. They'll never win big...ever.

Reactions: mk23
Yesterday I was watching the replay of the 1987 game between IU and Illinois on B1G network and Dickie V said during the game that he rates coaches on these three characteristics. He proceeded to apply his criteria to Bob Knight and Lou Henson. I thought I would do it for a few coaches here on a scale of 1-10 with the average NCAA coach scoring a 5. Add more if you'd like.

Coach Archie:

The recruiting has been a problem in Bloomington forever and I can't understand why. Teams under Archie have exhibited weirdly different levels of motivation on any given game night. You can argue about little plays here or there, but Coach Archie runs really good stuff. His teams run good sets on out-of-bounds plays and generally don't get scored upon on them. He is taking less talented teams and trying to set them up to compete against better players.

Cowardpari

He has been the best recruiter in the history of the game in my opinion. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Pork Chop

He's built a solid program. He does a solid job of recruiting. He's a solid game coach. They'll never win big...ever.

I would put Archie Motivator at a 2. By far his weakness IMO. Cal gets his guys to play way way way more often than Archie. This year is an outlier. He normally has his freshmen running through walls for him and that is very impressive.

Reactions: Tru2Irish

Coach Archie:

Cowardpari

Pork Chop

They were a eyelash of being in the final four just 3 years ago..And he's got two red shirts in Ivey and Newman that are better than any of our freshman..Plus Frust and Kaufman coming.
I'd say in the next two or three year's they win the the conference.If we had all that going on.
Fan's at Indiana would be ecstatic ...

They were a eyelash of being in the final four just 3 years ago..And he's got two red shirts in Ivey and Newman that are better than any of our freshman..Plus Frust and Kaufman coming.
I'd say in the next two or three year's they win the the conference.If we had all that going on.

Ivey is a true freshman, not a redshirt and I’d take Galloway over him any day and twice on Sunday. Inefficient chucker.

...and don't forget about Gillis, another in-state recruit, hasn't played in what?, 3 years. He's starting, and judging by his early trajectory, will be better than Race.

Ivey’s avg 6 points on more than 6+ shot attempts. Sorry, not impressed.
He's going to be very, very good. He's missed a lot of time with a foot injury. In the end, his outside shot may be the weakest part of his offensive skill set, but it will still be decent. He can get to the rim and he has a mid range pull up game.
Just wait until he gains strength.
He will be very good defensively too.
He is aggressive, competitive, and confident

Reactions: Bill4411
He's going to be very, very good. He's missed a lot of time with a foot injury. In the end, his outside shot may be the weakest part of his offensive skill set, but it will still be decent. He can get to the rim and he has a mid range pull up game.
Just wait until he gains strength.
He will be very good defensively too.
He is aggressive, competitive, and confident

As I said, he’s avg 6 points on 6+ shot attempts. Not impressed. He is better than Ethan Morton, I’ll give Ivey credit there. Archie (thankfully) dodged a bullet there.

I would put Archie Motivator at a 2. By far his weakness IMO. Cal gets his guys to play way way way more often than Archie. This year is an outlier. He normally has his freshmen running through walls for him and that is very impressive.
I think people undersell Cal. I've often said that he does an amazing job because every year he has a new team. What coach does what he does? They struggle a bit at first and then gain momentum during the year. That is coaching.

FWIW it was reported by a national recruiting dude that Archie told him that he was most surprised and most frustrated that it was harder to recruit to Indiana than he thought coming into it.

So, that's on him of course.

Maybe he needs to cheat, I mean find a recruiting edge.

Just kidding of course.

FWIW it was reported by a national recruiting dude that Archie told him that he was most surprised and most frustrated that it was harder to recruit to Indiana than he thought coming into it.

Just kidding of course.

Please. Recruits come to play for the coach. Archie is deflecting blame from his own failures.

That's what I keep saying, laugh while you can, because he will get that team going, with all that talent, and probably tear through the SEC, end up in the tourney if there is one. I'd wager they still have a better outlook than us and that's sad but true.

Coach Archie:

Cowardpari

Pork Chop

Recruiter: 5
Motivator: 3
Tactician: 8

for Archie.

How can you give him more than an 8 as tactician if he doesn't truly understand how important 3 pt shooting is to modern college basketball?

Just kidding of course.
Please tell me you haven't become an Archite, I know you weren't a Creanite. With the facilities, budget, and history we have, and the campus and town in general, anyone that fails here is a failure

I think you give painter a 5 in recruiting, but lately it's been closer to a 9. But a few good years doesnt make up for many mediocre or slightly below average relative to the big ten.

Please tell me you haven't become an Archite, I know you weren't a Creanite. With the facilities, budget, and history we have, and the campus and town in general, anyone that fails here is a failure

I did say it was on him, but I do remember Snow saying that Archie was frustrated that it was more difficult to recruit to IU than he thought.

But again, recruiting is on him.

Hopefully Hunter the coach can help out here and quickly. He's the one that got us Parker.

Plus Archie probably needs to look out internationally.

Basically he needs an edge. Maybe he'll be the transfer king cuz the Indiana first hasn't worked out and now he's starting to get spurned by them.

Few has made a killing with international recruiting.

The transfer market is going to be crazy this spring.

Regardless the sands in the hour glass are running out on him.

I like everything about him too...but he seems to come up short (no pun intended). Always missing a key piece or getting to the table and then vomiting in his bowl of cereal.

I'm starting to lose faith he can get over the hump.

My expectations were a solid top 25 team that's safely in the tournament and a sweet 16/elite 8 threat.

I don't think that's too crazy of an expectation for the program.

We're probably looking bubble to NIT again.

He's got to break through and quickly.

It is what it is.

My expectations were a solid top 25 team that's safely in the tournament and a sweet 16/elite 8 threat.

It is what it is.

That’s my expectations for this season. My expectations, not necessarily my prediction. Anything less than that and IMHO we underachieved and it’s on coach Miller. No excuses this year.

Reactions: Al Bino
I did say it was on him, but I do remember Snow saying that Archie was frustrated that it was more difficult to recruit to IU than he thought.

Hopefully Hunter the coach can help out here and quickly. He's the one that got us Parker.

Basically he needs an edge. Maybe he'll be the transfer king cuz the Indiana first hasn't worked out and now he's starting to get spurned by them.

I like everything about him too...but he seems to come up short (no pun intended). Always missing a key piece or getting to the table and then vomiting in his bowl of cereal.

It is what it is.
I think you’ve mentioned something that many IU fans refuse to acknowledge. It’s not as easy to recruit to small town Bloomington as it once was.

I think you’ve mentioned something that many IU fans refuse to acknowledge. It’s not as easy to recruit to small town Bloomington as it once was.

Disagree. IU seems to be a hot school for high school seniors to choose. This isn’t about Bloomington. It’s about our basketball program. An 18 year old kid doesn’t care what happened 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago.

Disagree. IU seems to be a hot school for high school seniors to choose. This isn’t about Bloomington. It’s about our basketball program. An 18 year old kid doesn’t care what happened 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago.
Theres a reason that it’s a “hot school” for non-athletes in the common app world, but that’s not the issue. It’s recruiting under Miller, and the highest profile kids with options don’t always favor small town, somewhat isolated environments.

Reactions: limestonecowboy

Coach Archie:

Cowardpari

Pork Chop

Where's a dislike button when you need it? Ranking Cal (as big of a slimey douche he is) lower than Archie is one of the dumbest posts I've seen. And only one point difference between Archie and Painter? On what planet do you live?

Theres a reason that it’s a “hot school” for non-athletes in the common app world, but that’s not the issue. It’s recruiting under Miller, and the highest profile kids with options don’t always favor small town, somewhat isolated environments.
Correct, I think there's a lot of truth to that. To the kind of IN players we used to get under RMK, BTown probably felt like a mini Indy that they were comfortable with. Not so much a draw anymore. However, you know, how f'n avant garde is Lexington or Kansas vis-a-vis Btown and they still seem be doing OK with recruiting. Maybe, just maybe, it's our coach?

Correct, I think there's a lot of truth to that. To the kind of IN players we used to get under RMK, BTown probably felt like a mini Indy that they were comfortable with. Not so much a draw anymore. However, you know, how f'n avant garde is Lexington or Kansas vis-a-vis Btown and they still seem be doing OK with recruiting. Maybe, just maybe, it's our coach?
I think it’s several things, but program leadership is very likely one of them. Kaufman all but said that.

Spot on

Btown is a highly desirable selling point obviously but the vast majority of top D1 talent is less interested in the campus and more in what the coach and program offer.

It is what it is.
Agree 100% with everything in this post. I hate it, because Archie is an outstanding coach and his players here seem to be high-character kids. Other coaches will tell you how well prepared his teams are, how well they defend and how hard they are to play against.

But you have to have some talent on offense to win. You have to have multiple guys who can fill it up and one or two guys who can score in multiple ways. To date, Archie has not been able to convince those kinds of players to come to Bloomington. If that doesn't change soon, I don't see how he survives beyond next year.

ADVERTISEMENT