ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit signing strategy...

Hoosier009

Benchwarmer
Jun 11, 2012
Here's a question... As an example if the recruits we are bringing in for visits over the next couple of weekends commit for the early signing period...Do we go ahead and sign them completing our class given that we really like them as excellent fits for our program? Or do we hold off on some till the late signing periods risking that they will bolt to another program?

My thoughts are go ahead and sign them if our coaching staff feels strongly they are the real deal. If they are as talented as the staff believes we will lose them to another program. Additionally, I feel strongly that there will be a couple of kids down on the depth chart who will enter the transfer portal btw now and the late signing period. Some of these kids just want to get on the field and play football during their limited college career. Which is understandable.

This would give us a couple of slots to utilize during the late signing period for some high end talent.

It's a bet but one that maybe well worth taking if we are high on the group coming in for a visit.

Sign them. It's the right thing to do. Don't mess around with the kids you recruit. That will come back to haunt you. If we're not sure they will have a place on the team, they should be made to understand that up front.

Here's a question... As an example if the recruits we are bringing in for visits over the next couple of weekends commit for the early signing period...Do we go ahead and sign them completing our class given that we really like them as excellent fits for our program? Or do we hold off on some till the late signing periods risking that they will bolt to another program?

My thoughts are go ahead and sign them if our coaching staff feels strongly they are the real deal. If they are as talented as the staff believes we will lose them to another program. Additionally, I feel strongly that there will be a couple of kids down on the depth chart who will enter the transfer portal btw now and the late signing period. Some of these kids just want to get on the field and play football during their limited college career. Which is understandable.

This would give us a couple of slots to utilize during the late signing period for some high end talent.

It's a bet but one that maybe well worth taking if we are high on the group coming in for a visit.

I think you sign. I also think discussions with some perennial bench players about they may want to move on where they may see the field. I believe a school should honor their commitment to a player. I also think IU has done that with the Players Bill of Rights. We COULD honor the education piece while removing the scholarship and making room for a growing/improving program.

I think you sign. I also think discussions with some perennial bench players about they may want to move on where they may see the field. I believe a school should honor their commitment to a player. I also think IU has done that with the Players Bill of Rights. We COULD honor the education piece while removing the scholarship and making room for a growing/improving program.
If used properly, the Players Bill of Rights could be a good tool to increase our talent level as you described. That said, I'd only want to see it used sparingly, perhaps even limited to those kids who won't be able to get on the field due more to injuries than talent. Getting a reputation for "Creaning" players isn't going to help us on the recruiting trail.

If used properly, the Players Bill of Rights could be a good tool to increase our talent level as you described. That said, I'd only want to see it used sparingly, perhaps even limited to those kids who won't be able to get on the field due more to injuries than talent. Getting a reputation for "Creaning" players isn't going to help us on the recruiting trail.
I agree with that..... I was just thinking it could be useful during the period of growth for a program....

You guys have it backwards. The schools don't sign the players, it's the other way around. Players sign LOI's with the schools.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am ready to hear if there were any commitment announcements from this weekend's visitors? I know it doesn't mean anything until they suit up and actually play for IU but can't deny my excitement for another potentially talented class.

Reactions: TominDallas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT