ADVERTISEMENT

Reason for optimism in 2019: Indiana

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
INDIANA: RECRUITING WAVES
8906399.jpg

(Photo: Mike Pegram, Peegs.com)
The Hoosiers finished with the eighth-best recruiting class in the Big Ten. That may not sound like a lot, but the No. 38 class in the country is the best for a Hoosiers football program in the 247Sports Composite era. Indiana still has some work to do in catching up to the top programs in the division but don’t be surprised if the Hoosiers pick off a few teams as underdogs this season. Tailback Stevie Scott set the tone as the second-best true freshman running back in football last year. New additions like a trio of four-star signees and JUCO defensive tackle Juan Harris will look to follow that trend.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...e-Michigan-Penn-State-Nebraska-129014152/Amp/

Last edited:
I hope the additions to the team and experience the younger players gained last year make a difference in 2019. Add in our new OC and the S&C staff having a full year of developing players. Don't forget about our new DC and I hope he can have the same impact on the defense he has had at his other stops. There are 3 more scholarships to bring in quality transfers that could impact 2019.

I hope the additions to the team and experience the younger players gained last year make a difference in 2019. Add in our new OC and the S&C staff having a full year of developing players. Don't forget about our new DC and I hope he can have the same impact on the defense he has had at his other stops. There are 3 more scholarships to bring in quality transfers that could impact 2019.

Should be interesting to see how they use those last three scholarships.

I'm hoping for a C/G, an OT, and a NG/DT...; or, possibly, another OL, T/G type, (or even a dominant pass rusher at DE...), if we can't find a NG/DT that is certain to contribute early and often next fall...

Easier said than done..., since everyone out there wants the same guys...

Fortunately for us, not everyone out there has three scholarships to work with...

Last edited:

New OC can be great, but don’t forget that hes only been on site for a month, its gonna take time to learn the system, and thats going to slow IU down. Its gonna take time to see benefits there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
New OC can be great, but don’t forget that hes only been on site for a month, its gonna take time to learn the system, and thats going to slow IU down. Its gonna take time to see benefits there.

This guy seems to show progress quickly and he’s got returning players and 2 young gun WB’s (that I hope he sticks with Penix). I think he could be good for the 1-2 wins we haven’t gotten in the past for a 7-5 year. QB play can make a huge difference.

It's a fun time of year, every board it so optimistic and everyone is undefeated. lol
True, but it's not pie in the sky here. Consider this year's recruiting class - - 8th in the conference, 38th nationally, and the ranking would be even higher if Tuttle factored in. This is uncharted territory for IU.

Hey, no one's predicting championships or double-digit wins, but a six win season this year is realistic and would lay the foundation for another outstanding class and further improvement.

Good times.

True, but it's not pie in the sky here. Consider this year's recruiting class - - 8th in the conference, 38th nationally, and the ranking would be even higher if Tuttle factored in. This is uncharted territory for IU.

Hey, no one's predicting championships or double-digit wins, but a six win season this year is realistic and would lay the foundation for another outstanding class and further improvement.

Good times.

I get it, we are in the same boat. I'm just saying probably 12 teams in the BiG 10 are in the boat with us.

I get it, we are in the same boat. I'm just saying probably 12 teams in the BiG 10 are in the boat with us.
I neglected to mention another important factor - - returning production. IU is 12th nationally in this regard. Returning production isn't a guarantee of anything, but it's been shown to be a reliable predictor of improvement. Conversely, teams at the bottom of that ranking tend to drop off.

If get a chance to watch Coach Ballou talk with media , watch it. Very impressive and said #1 goal for off-season after watching entire season is “acceleration” as a team. Thought it was very astute and smart goal to have.

He also said Penix is in a really good place right now, “you wouldn’t know he’s been injured.” And “he’s gotten mentally tougher too.” (FYI, he had good things to say about other 2 QB’s, he was answering a question about Penix specifically.)

Other good stuff in interview that will leave you excited about work ethic of the S&C coaches and the players.

Indy, you are right about the video with coach Ballou. Like coach Allen the S&C coaches evaluate the season to see what changes need to made. I know other staffs do the same but I love that our coaches aren't so locked in to what they do they are unwilling to change and hope things get better. It is much better that they make changes to improve the team.

Penix sounds like he's ahead of the rehab curve.

Should make for an interesting Fall Camp.
Yea Ballou said he's ahead of schedule. I gotta tell ya I really think Ballou and Rhea sell some of these higher profile players. The stuff they have available is so state of the art. Plus whenever you ask any player they say they are the best! Were lucky to have these guys in the S&C and year two we should all see a big jump. Ballou said last year it was a challenge and the adjustments they made were huge. They won't be making those kinds of bumps anymore. If you follow them on twitter the stuff they spit out is light years ahead of even the top programs in the country. Great Stuff!

Last edited:
If get a chance to watch Coach Ballou talk with media , watch it. Very impressive and said #1 goal for off-season after watching entire season is “acceleration” as a team. Thought it was very astute and smart goal to have.

He also said Penis is in a really good place right now, “you wouldn’t know he’s been injured.” And “he’s gotten mentally tougher too.” (FYI, he had good things to say about other 2 QB’s, he was answering a question about Penix specifically.)

Other good stuff in interview that will leave you excited about work ethic of the S&C coaches and the players.
Everyone should have their penis in a really good place.

Spell check can be a killer but PENIX is still who I’m banking on for next season. Love his combo of arm strength, speed, willingness to stand in the pocket w/out happy feet, and his high school TD to Int ratio shoes he protects the football. DeBoer having direct coaching oversight & could see helluva a year.

Spell check can be a killer but PENIX is still who I’m banking on for next season. Love his combo of arm strength, speed, willingness to stand in the pocket w/out happy feet, and his high school TD to Int ratio shoes he protects the football. DeBoer having direct coaching oversight & could see helluva a year.
I'm with you, however, I really wonder if he can stay healthy. His injury against Penn State just looked like it happened way too easy...is he injury prone?

It's critical that Tuttle be cleared to play this year because we will need him, IMO.

I'm with you, however, I really wonder if he can stay healthy. His injury against Penn State just looked like it happened way too easy...is he injury prone?

It's critical that Tuttle be cleared to play this year because we will need him, IMO.
If you watched the Ballou interview he mentioned that was the first time Penix had ever dealt with anything like that. He went through alot of emotions but battled and now is ahead of schedule.

He is not a big guy. He should not be running unless he is forced to or it is wide open. Debord's offense almost forced the qb to run to have any chance at moving the ball.

Reactions: IUgradman
8906399.jpg

The Hoosiers finished with the eighth-best recruiting class in the Big Ten. That may not sound like a lot, but the No. 38 class in the country is the best for a Hoosiers football program in the 247Sports Composite era. Indiana still has some work to do in catching up to the top programs in the division but don’t be surprised if the Hoosiers pick off a few teams as underdogs this season. Tailback Stevie Scott set the tone as the second-best true freshman running back in football last year. New additions like a trio of four-star signees and JUCO defensive tackle Juan Harris will look to follow that trend.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...e-Michigan-Penn-State-Nebraska-129014152/Amp/
I expect another year like last year. There is a high probability we will have a new QB learning a new offense. I am also not sure how our running game or depth looks beyond Stevie.

I assume Penix will start unless the new offense brings Ramsey's talents to the front of the line. Penix will have to prove he can be successful in a role other than a change of pace or playing against a defense that hasn't studied his game.

Year after year in basketball and football, I get trapped reading what a recruit or returning player should do. I have to see what our new players and returning players can actually do before I start thinking beyond 4-5 wins.

I expect another year like last year. There is a high probability we will have a new QB learning a new offense. I am also not sure how our running game or depth looks beyond Stevie.

I assume Penix will start unless the new offense brings Ramsey's talents to the front of the line. Penix will have to prove he can be successful in a role other than a change of pace or playing against a defense that hasn't studied his game.

Year after year in basketball and football, I get trapped reading what a recruit or returning player should do. I have to see what our new players and returning players can actually do before I start thinking beyond 4-5 wins.
Me too.

I'm bullish on the offense with Deboer, because honestly I don't know enough about how he'll mesh with our players. So I'm positive.

I am, however, skeptical on Defense due to the big drop-off from 2017 to 2018. I'm wait and see mode on Allen's defensive recruiting and development.

Me too.

I'm bullish on the offense with Deboer, because honestly I don't know enough about how he'll mesh with our players. So I'm positive.

I am, however, skeptical on Defense due to the big drop-off from 2017 to 2018. I'm wait and see mode on Allen's defensive recruiting and development.
I'm hopeful a new OC will eliminate the predictable 5 yard passes and add more deception game to game with our formations. I expect the offense to improve or at least not regress.

Defense is unknown. Will having a DC help or does it remove CTA away from his strength? I feel like you that we may give back the gains we have made.

I have to see where this team is around game 4-5 before I start adding expectations. We seem to lose a key player every year to injury or the legal system before our first game.

Based on all the hype last spring about the strength and conditioning program I thought line play was going to be much more explosive last season. I’ll believe it when I see it.

8906399.jpg

Here is my thoughts on the subject...

1. It's imperative that our program finds a way to win a minimum of six wins and go to a bowl game. Wins beyond six will be gravy next year given our schedule. My prediction is we will finish 7-6 with a bowl win.
2. Don't take this the wrong way but I like CTA and feel he and his staff have the program headed in the right direction. My question now that OC's have had a chance to play against CTA's defense the past three years. Is have they figured out where the weak spots are in the defense? If so is he making the adjustments needed? Especially in game adjustments. In my opinion we should have gotten to six wins last year. We should have competed better in the Minnesota and Purdue games. Most notably we made no adjustments defensively to take away the crossing patterns in the second half vs. Gophers. It's a game we should have won given their limited offensive weapons. In game adjustments in my opinion separates the great coaching staffs vs. versus just a good one..

At this point in time we will never have the best talent on the field when we play (OSU, PSU, Mich & MSU each year) therefore our coaching staff will have to out coach their staffs with better game plans/schemes. CKW was good at that offensively. Too bad he didn't get Allen in here a couple years sooner for the defense.

Allen hasn't been quite good enough to coach this team to six wins. It's rather disappointing because he certainly should have been bowling these last two years.

Two years ago it was Maryland and Purdue, last year it was Minnesota and Purdue. I expect to beat those programs, particularly when it is the difference between sitting at home for the Holidays or going to Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

The talent is there to win six games going forward, Allen needs to produce pretty damn soon.

Think Talent levels have a way of making coaches look better, as do great QB's. NOT suggesting IU couldn't have gone bowling both last 2 years, and the effort against PU both years seemed a bit more lax than would be expected for a Bucket game.

But love the new OC, who I do think will open things up. Think new DC is also good and having dedicated DC should allow Allen a bit more of a wholistic view of things.

Lot of experienced gained last year by young players and though went 5-6, having a lot of returning production is a good thing. It's still walk before you run usually, and I'm right now optimistically saying 6-6 go bowling, but truly wouldn't be shocked if had a bit more of a breakthrough due to OC/QB and talent evolution.

Allen should have won six or seven with the team he had returning in his first year. Last year was a transition year. This year he has to begin producing. He could be fired if he misses a bowl this year depending on how the games go. I’m happy with the recruiting, and I think we have the players and staff to win eight.

Allen should have won six or seven with the team he had returning in his first year. Last year was a transition year. This year he has to begin producing. He could be fired if he misses a bowl this year depending on how the games go. I’m happy with the recruiting, and I think we have the players and staff to win eight.
Maybe you think he should be fired if he misses a bowl this year, but he won't be fired if he misses a bowl unless the season were to devolve into an abject shitshow, and I think there's little chance of that happening.

I am not sure whether our offense will "open up" a great deal next year. I suspect we will take more shots down field than last year (not sure how we could take any less), but still rely on short passing game. That was our OC's approach at Fresno (but as others noted it might be Tedford's west coast influence). I think that short passing game is in line with a our defensive-minded coach. My take is I can handle the west coach approach if 1) we take some shots deep, 2) we look for medium routes on occasion (especially to TE) and we get the ball quickly to receivers on short routes, allowing them time to make something happen. That requires arm strength from whoever our QB might be. Of course, I like an even balance, or close to it, on run to pass and I really like more use of the pistol. To me it is the best of all worlds in not limiting running directions and giving QB additional time. Just my thoughts.

8906399.jpg

Here is my thoughts on the subject...

1. It's imperative that our program finds a way to win a minimum of six wins and go to a bowl game. Wins beyond six will be gravy next year given our schedule. My prediction is we will finish 7-6 with a bowl win.
2. Don't take this the wrong way but I like CTA and feel he and his staff have the program headed in the right direction. My question now that OC's have had a chance to play against CTA's defense the past three years. Is have they figured out where the weak spots are in the defense? If so is he making the adjustments needed? Especially in game adjustments. In my opinion we should have gotten to six wins last year. We should have competed better in the Minnesota and Purdue games. Most notably we made no adjustments defensively to take away the crossing patterns in the second half vs. Gophers. It's a game we should have won given their limited offensive weapons. In game adjustments in my opinion separates the great coaching staffs vs. versus just a good one..

At this point in time we will never have the best talent on the field when we play (OSU, PSU, Mich & MSU each year) therefore our coaching staff will have to out coach their staffs with better game plans/schemes. CKW was good at that offensively. Too bad he didn't get Allen in here a couple years sooner for the defense.
I just hope we beat that “goof ball” coach up in Minny.

I just hope we beat that “goof ball” coach up in Minny.

You'll have to wait till 2021 to see that. They're off the schedule again this year.

2019 Official Schedule:

https://iuhoosiers.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

I'd like to see the same thing though. How about a league alignment changing matchup in the Big Ten Championship 2019 Game. :D

///Talk about an O$U/MI fan base & Big Ten Offices meltdown (if we and MN were the 2019 Big Ten Championship matchup)...:D

Delaney would change the Championship Game matchup rules faster than you could say crooked refs...;)///:D

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT