ADVERTISEMENT

Really looking forward to something

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
As I've aged, the number of things I excitedly anticipate have dwindled. Even seeing Felicity Jones in a Star Wars was only a slight anticipation. However, Dunkirk is something I am truly excited about. I have tickets for a 70mm showing at the Indiana History IMAX. This is what the first Star Trek movie was long ago (and I sure hope it is better). Since a lot of us are boomer age, I am curious, what sort of events fill you with that sense of anticipation today? And of course, any comments on Dunkirk?

For me, Dunkirk is an event that JRR Tolkien could have written of. The idea that the army is hopelessly trapped and the civilians must save them is quite a tale, if one can make it believable.

I was telling my kids about Dunkirk, and explained how it is such an enormous event for Brits. I see that has played out today, as the French are complaining about their lack of involvement in the story. I get the French would be upset, but that isn't the story being told. I recall online arguments when Saving Private Ryan came out. Someone who just picked up a history book would comment how the movie totally ignored the Soviet involvement in the war (go look at the reviews in Amazon). I recall on some sites arguing the point that a movie on D-Day isn't the place for a lecture on the Eastern Front. It is a bit closer call here, French troops were ordered to hold back the Germans so the British, and some French, could escape. But, it is a British film. I would invite the French to make their own film.

In fact, I'd love for the French to make their own film. It is normal to make fun of the French army, I've done it quite a bit myself. But the truth is the French put up a heck of a fight. They didn't lack courage, they lacked mobility. The French didn't have separate armor units, they mixed tanks in with infantry. So when German armor flanked them at Sedan, the fastest the French could move is the speed of their infantry. There was no way for the French to unbottle themselves. They lost the war because they couldn't retreat out of a trap fast enough, not that they actually retreated.

Anyway, I hope Dunkirk is almost as good as my imagination has it.

As I've aged, the number of things I excitedly anticipate have dwindled. Even seeing Felicity Jones in a Star Wars was only a slight anticipation. However, Dunkirk is something I am truly excited about. I have tickets for a 70mm showing at the Indiana History IMAX. This is what the first Star Trek movie was long ago (and I sure hope it is better). Since a lot of us are boomer age, I am curious, what sort of events fill you with that sense of anticipation today? And of course, any comments on Dunkirk?

For me, Dunkirk is an event that JRR Tolkien could have written of. The idea that the army is hopelessly trapped and the civilians must save them is quite a tale, if one can make it believable.

I was telling my kids about Dunkirk, and explained how it is such an enormous event for Brits. I see that has played out today, as the French are complaining about their lack of involvement in the story. I get the French would be upset, but that isn't the story being told. I recall online arguments when Saving Private Ryan came out. Someone who just picked up a history book would comment how the movie totally ignored the Soviet involvement in the war (go look at the reviews in Amazon). I recall on some sites arguing the point that a movie on D-Day isn't the place for a lecture on the Eastern Front. It is a bit closer call here, French troops were ordered to hold back the Germans so the British, and some French, could escape. But, it is a British film. I would invite the French to make their own film.

In fact, I'd love for the French to make their own film. It is normal to make fun of the French army, I've done it quite a bit myself. But the truth is the French put up a heck of a fight. They didn't lack courage, they lacked mobility. The French didn't have separate armor units, they mixed tanks in with infantry. So when German armor flanked them at Sedan, the fastest the French could move is the speed of their infantry. There was no way for the French to unbottle themselves. They lost the war because they couldn't retreat out of a trap fast enough, not that they actually retreated.

Read the Rex Reed review.

Can't tell precisely that he liked it. Seems he had a preconceived notion that it would be too "Batman-like." Might be a good idea to wear ear plugs as he, at least, found the music too-overpowering. Technically/visually, sounds like the movie is way, way up there.

No mention of Churchill, and Reed asserts this removes a lot of context.

Can't be any worse than the last movie - Manchester by the Sea - we saw. But, then, nothing's worse than Casey Affleck moping around, which wasn't really acting anyway.

Hollywood has lost its mojo, so if there's something that finally appears worthwhile and interesting it's maybe time for our semi-annual venture to the cinema.

Don't know how one condenses the wholeness of what Dunkirk meant into 106 minutes. Removing all of the geo-politics will do that, I suppose.

I don't know that much about it, but I'm going Sunday.

I lived in DC when Star Trek came out and splurged for the tickets that included the Air and Space Museum reception. Both the movie and my date were disappointing.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I don't know that much about it, but I'm going Sunday.
This is not a critique of you, Zeke (I would never do that!) but I find that statement disturbing on so many levels. Events like Dunkirk, Stalingrad, Pearl Harbor, Leyte Gulf, the Tet Offnesive, and many others, are defining moments in our history. I think that of that list (and throw out Tet since it had just happened) Dunkirk is the one I learned the most about in school, and it wasn't much. Most of what I know has come from independent study.

We were taught about Fort Sumpter, Gettysburg, and Appomattox, with a little Antietam thrown in to boot, but nothing about the underlying economic causes of the Civil War.

We know next to nothing about the conquest of the Western USA other than that a bunch of Indians killed poor old Colonel Custer....l

One of the things I enjoy about Marvin's posts, both here and on Facebook, is his depth of knowledge on a variety of military topics.

These things are important. The show mankind at his best, and at his worst. We need to know about both.

As a complete aside, Of all the BBC DCI shows, Foyles's War is my favorite. Knowing a bit about the backdrop events, such as the development of the bouncing, or "skip" bomb, makes the show that much more enjoyable. Michael Kitchen puts it over the top.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Honestly it's strange because I don't remember learning much about individual battles, except for Normandy, Peal Harbor and Gettysburg. If I had, I think I'd remember the name just because of Dunkirk in Btown. And it's funny, because I remember learning much more of the causes for the war than the actual war itself. I'll be better versed after tomorrow.

...Dunkirk is the one I learned the most about in school, and it wasn't much. Most of what I know has come from independent study.

I try not to be too hard on people who don't know much history or about the Constitution and how government works... or computers... or inventory control and accounting... or any of the other things I'm well versed in. I don't know shit about literature or biology any of the world's history outside US involvement. Or carpentry... or plumbing...

I try not to be too hard on people who don't know much history or about the Constitution and how government works... or computers... or inventory control and accounting... or any of the other things I'm well versed in. I don't know shit about literature or biology any of the world's history outside US involvement. Or carpentry... or plumbing...
That explains a lot.

I really liked the movie, but it wasn't quite up to my unrealistic expectations. For those not familiar with Dunkirk, you will learn about what it was like to be there. You will learn nothing about why these men are there. That was an interesting choice by Nolan.

See it on the big screen. The cinematography is excellent. The sound effects are excellent. At least at the Imax, when a bomb goes off nearby you know it. The score is excellent. The acting was very good.

The three stories are told in the same time space but one is 7 days long, one is 1 day, one is 1 hour. That is an interesting concept, and there are benefits to it. Suddenly you see an event you saw 20 minutes ago from an entirely different perspective. That said, I would have preferred linear.

I have warned a sticker friend of two errors. The Germans painted the 109 nose yellow before the Battle of Britain. They are yellow in this movie. I applaud the move, it makes aerial combat easier to follow. Also there are no British destroyers left, that one is French. No big deal to anyone sane, but I have a friend who is known to yell at the screen when the wrong tank is used.

One part of war I find interesting is people fighting when it appears there is no hope. Dunkirk through the Battle of Britain is one such example. Berlin 1945 is another. This movie does an excellent job of passing that sense of defeat. I am glad he did not, but I will admit I almost wanted Ken Brannaugh to go into the Band of Brothers speech.

Doug mentioned the skip bombs. Peter Jackson used to talk about his love of the dambusters and his desire to make a movie. He seems to have quit the idea, probably because someone told him elves could not mysteriously appear.

It is interesting how Brits know more about their military history than we do ours. My oldest studies in Chester and mentioned that it seemed everyone wore poppies on armistice day. Even the youth.

Next biggie, HBO/Spielberg/Hanks are doing a story on the 8th Air Force. Those men were the bravest, they had no chance of survival and they knew it. I really thought it would have been done this year, hopefully next.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I really liked the movie, but it wasn't quite up to my unrealistic expectations. For those not familiar with Dunkirk, you will learn about what it was like to be there. You will learn nothing about why these men are there. That was an interesting choice by Nolan.

See it on the big screen. The cinematography is excellent. The sound effects are excellent. At least at the Imax, when a bomb goes off nearby you know it. The score is excellent. The acting was very good.

The three stories are told in the same time space but one is 7 days long, one is 1 day, one is 1 hour. That is an interesting concept, and there are benefits to it. Suddenly you see an event you saw 20 minutes ago from an entirely different perspective. That said, I would have preferred linear.

I have warned a sticker friend of two errors. The Germans painted the 109 nose yellow before the Battle of Britain. They are yellow in this movie. I applaud the move, it makes aerial combat easier to follow. Also there are no British destroyers left, that one is French. No big deal to anyone sane, but I have a friend who is known to yell at the screen when the wrong tank is used.

One part of war I find interesting is people fighting when it appears there is no hope. Dunkirk through the Battle of Britain is one such example. Berlin 1945 is another. This movie does an excellent job of passing that sense of defeat. I am glad he did not, but I will admit I almost wanted Ken Brannaugh to go into the Band of Brothers speech.

Doug mentioned the skip bombs. Peter Jackson used to talk about his love of the dambusters and his desire to make a movie. He seems to have quit the idea, probably because someone told him elves could not mysteriously appear.

It is interesting how Brits know more about their military history than we do ours. My oldest studies in Chester and mentioned that it seemed everyone wore poppies on armistice day. Even the youth.

Next biggie, HBO/Spielberg/Hanks are doing a story on the 8th Air Force. Those men were the bravest, they had no chance of survival and they knew it. I really thought it would have been done this year, hopefully next.

I think you hit Nolan's focus of the English resilience with a frenchman thrown in. Maybe a salute to those excluding the Vichy losers.

The war would have been demonstrably different without that struggle. Nolan demonstrated how struggle was/is Britain.

Mentally, I compared this with the Longest Day. The Longest Day, to me, was a "feel good" quality. Vignettes of heroism which was certainly true. My critique would be that there are cowards for reasons or not.

I had an E6 on my first patrol that pulled a pistol on the sub and asked the XO to not make him go on the patrol.

I never had that issue. And I am too old now to be recalled.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I think you hit Nolan's focus of the English resilience with a frenchman thrown in. Maybe a salute to those excluding the Vichy losers.

The war would have been demonstrably different without that struggle. Nolan demonstrated how struggle was/is Britain.

Mentally, I compared this with the Longest Day. The Longest Day, to me, was a "feel good" quality. Vignettes of heroism which was certainly true. My critique would be that there are cowards for reasons or not.

I had an E6 on my first patrol that pulled a pistol on the sub and asked the XO to not make him go on the patrol.

I never had that issue. And I am too old now to be recalled.
I brought up The Longest Day to my youngest who kept making fun of me for wanting to see a Harry Stiles movie. I compared him to Fabian in Longest Day. And Fabian was not the weak link in that movie, Wayne was.

To be fair to Stiles, when it ended I asked which character he was. I think that is a compliment to a new actor.

I saw Dunkirk yesterday and enjoyed it very much.I thought it was neat that there were some parts of the film without any dialogue yet director Nolan got his point across.And you are correct about how if the French want their side of the story told,they should make their own movie.I just turned 65 and there aren't many things in life I really look forward to anymore.Dunkirk,like Saving Private Ryan,most war movies and classicslike Gone With the Wind,Dr zhivago ,and Lawrence of Arabia are shows that must be seen in the theater to really be appreciated.When you have seen them on TV only,they lose most of their effect.The only thing I didn't like about Dunkirk was the absurd ticket price.Fourteen dollars for one ticket.Oh,well,I must be getting cheaper as I get older,also.

We'll, now I know more about Dunkirk. As an aside, I went with 3 friends. Two were not familiar with the story . The one that was, knew it from her father, not from school. Wonder what level it would be appropriate to teach. As for the move, I did like it, very tense throughout. I agreed with some of the reviews though, the score was very distracting and at times, even drowned out the dialogue.

Huh? Explain.

The guy walked into the XO's state room and laid a pistol on the XO's desk and asked the XO to not make him use it. He was removed from the boat and missed the patrol. It was unclear how he would have used it. He was put on administrative leave. He was still in the Navy when we got back which was around three months. The first month was R&R which is when leave is taken or when you have to check in every three days.

The guy walked into the XO's state room and laid a pistol on the XO's desk and asked the XO to not make him use it. He was removed from the boat and missed the patrol. It was unclear how he would have used it. He was put on administrative leave. He was still in the Navy when we got back which was around three months. The first month was R&R which is when leave is taken or when you have to check in every three days.
I'd have thrown his ass overboard.

There it is, the difference between Army and Navy. A Marine would have shot him, and the Air Force would have promoted him.

in my few months in in the Norfolk area, I met a couple of guys that were responsible for planning for the entertainment for the Air Force officers. Pure carp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT