ADVERTISEMENT

Reality.

And your "higher standards" have achieved exactly what recently???
Jimbo has used his supreme intelligence and all of his free time in March to get
53egzz.jpg

And your "higher standards" have achieved exactly what recently???
How has your definition of insanity been working out with Matt? Losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64 in year 16. Congrats! That got old at IU after year 5-6 with Crean. If IU wanted Painter results, they would have kept Crean. Go rationalize Matt on your own board.

Who died??? Actually, the title was retroactively, not posthumously, awarded in 1943 for the 1932 season, by the Helms Foundation. Keep in mind, one of IU's "titles" was because Big Ten champion Purdue declined to go to the ncaa that year because Ward Lambert felt the students should better spend their time studying instead.

Good point. I guess Purdue’s program has never really been alive.

You agree Hazell should have been fired, that's all I was looking for. You have destroyed the foundation of your reasoning for this entire thread.

Painter is also no closer to being a consistent winner in the NCAA's: the definition of insanity applies.
I think the stress of not having a coach has you confused. Not sure how Painter's record, or Archie's for that matter, correlate to Hazell's record such that it would justify firing Archie or not tolerating Painter.

That's some serious pretzel logic, pal. And some mighty strong weed.

I think the stress of not having a coach has you confused. Not sure how Painter's record, or Archie's for that matter, correlate to Hazell's record such that it would justify firing Archie or not tolerating Painter.

Stay on topic, no need to attack me. You agree that Hazell should have been fired, yet don't understand why IU fired Archie? That is an irrational double standard, and it is certainly no foundation for the argument you are making in this thread.

You are the one that is trying to rationalize Crean results after 16 years. Good for you, do it elsewhere.

Delusional is thinking Matt is ever going to do squat at a national level and that one fluke run to the Elite 8 is the norm. Give him 50 years, he may have another fluke run in him. Crapping the bed against the Mean Green in the first round is the norm with Matt.
Well, with your ability to accurately predict the future, no doubt Dolson should consult you, huh?

Well, with your ability to accurately predict the future, no doubt Dolson should consult you, huh?
I only have 16 years of evidence, Bob! How many times does Lucy have to yank the football before you can kick it before you catch on? You brought up the definition of insanity!

How has your definition of insanity been working out with Matt? Losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64 in year 16. Congrats! That got old at IU after year 5-6 with Crean. If IU wanted Painter results, they would have kept Crean. Go rationalize Matt on your own board.
Better not get too close to traffic with your short-sightedness.

Purdue was picked like 9th or 10th in the B1G this year - with no ncaa tournament hope - and had one of the youngest teams, experience-wise, in the entire ncaa, especially with just the #34 recruiting class (#6 in the B1G). So to have CMP coach them to a 4th place finish in the B1G, and even go to the ncaa tournament, beat favored IU, OSU, and MSU twice during the season - um, yeah. I'll take that. lol

But of course, you wouldn't. So better wait for the light before crossing.

Stay on topic, no need to attack me. You agree that Hazell should have been fired, yet don't understand why IU fired Archie? That is an irrational double standard, and it is certainly no foundation for the argument you are making in this thread.

You are the one that is trying to rationalize Crean results after 16 years. Good for you, do it elsewhere.
If you cannot see the difference between Archie's track record and Hazell's, then I cannot help you. Better find a new mood ring.

Better not get too close to traffic with your short-sightedness.

Purdue was picked like 9th or 10th in the B1G this year - with no ncaa tournament hope - and had one of the youngest teams, experience-wise, in the entire ncaa, especially with just the #34 recruiting class (#6 in the B1G). So to have CMP coach them to a 4th place finish in the B1G, and even go to the ncaa tournament, beat favored IU, OSU, and MSU twice during the season - um, yeah. I'll take that. lol

But of course, you wouldn't. So better wait for the light before crossing.
Personal attacks are the lowest form of debate, yet you keep making them. Up your debate game.

If IU was good with Crean results, they would have kept him around. If PU is good with Crean results, more power to you.

Look, I'd love to stay and debate, but...

1) the wife wants me to be productive today,
2) despite several reasonable fans on here, I apparently am raising the BP in some of your more excitable fans, and
3) I just don't give a sh!t about all of your tender sensibilities.

Have a nice day!

If IU was good with Crean results, they would have kept him around. If PU is good with Crean results, more power to you.
Except they aren’t the same results at all. Crean has missed the tournament more than he’s made it in his coaching career. In fact Painter has as many appearances in his 17 years (13) as crean and Archie have in their 31 combined years coaching. What makes that even sadder is the fact that 9 of those 13 appearances were with their previous schools.

Maybe all you’re really proving with your constant bragging of creans achievements is that a school like Marquette is now a better basketball destination for coaches than IU. I mean they have gone to about twice as many tournaments as IU has since you guys took crean from them.

No, IU had Painter-plus with Crean, and Crean was let go. The standards at IU are higher. You really think no FF's in 16 years would fly at IU? Would IU fans really be excited with crapping the bed against the Mean Green this year?
Anyone can claim high standards, but results really do matter. Where are IUs FFs in the past 16 yrs? It’s great that you wouldn’t accept those results and that may be part of the issue. As far as crapping the bed, you do have to MAKE the tournament to risk being upset.

Anyone can claim high standards, but results really do matter. Where are IUs FFs in the past 16 yrs? It’s great that you wouldn’t accept those results and that may be part of the issue. As far as crapping the bed, you do have to MAKE the tournament to risk being upset.
To all of you PUkes spending your Saturday on the IU bball board, thanks for your obsess.... oops, concern for the well -being of our program. Of course you have nothing else to do this weekend. Your team is out of the tournament early, as usual. But by all means, make yourselves feel superior because you don't suck quite as bad as IU - which is the only thing that matters to you.

Way to strive for excellence.

Reactions: BHAII
Where are PU's FF's in the past 40+ years? Once again, if IU wanted Crean results, they would have kept Crean around. If PU wants Crean-lite results, more power to them. Losing to the Mean Green in year 16, lol.

Here is the sad reality of IU's coaching search...
  1. Big name coach or not, they all realize IU is going to be a long term rebuild - longer than fan base patience in the IU fish bowl.
  2. The expected length of tenure is currently 4 years, maybe less, depending on performance vs expectations.
  3. The IU fan base expects the team to compete for B1G titles, reverse the losing string to Purdue, and make deep runs in the ncaa within that time frame.
  4. The IU administration is not afraid to pull the ripcord, even with huge buyouts, thereby potentially ruining a coach's career if they don't meet expectations, even if the team's record improves each year.
  5. For a rapid turnaround, prospective coaches will want to know where they will get the players when:
    1. Most of the current team is scrambling to the transfer portal,
    2. Top transfers from other programs want to go to currently winning programs, and
    3. Matt Painter has come into his own with top recruits throughout Indiana, and has a team that could be in the top 10 for the next few years.
  6. Even with top recruits, IU has shown no real progress toward meeting the fan base expectations.
  7. The mystique of the 5 banners is no longer a major selling point to coaches and elite players - who care only about what the program has done lately.
  8. There is a growing belief that IU's "brand" is more about RMK than IU - kind of how UCLA's brand is more about Wooden than the program itself.
  9. So with all those considerations, why would a successful coaching candidate - even at a mid-major program - want to abandon a good thing for IU's collapsing program, when they can wait for a more promising career move at a top program that has only stumbled for a few years? Texas or OU may not have the storied history of IU, but have had considerable success far more recently than IU.
The bottom line is that promising coaches will become more interested in IU when the expected length of tenure, and length of the fan base patience, exceeds the candidates' estimations of how long it will take to rebuild the program.

Sorry. Just the facts, ma'am.
I don't see how the expectations of the IU fan base exceed that of other schools or that it is anymore of a fishbowl. I do, however, think that the level of frustration at IU presently exceeds that of most other schools. I would argue that with parity in programs, the transfer portal, etc. coaches don't necessarily have to change jobs to succeed, either on the court or financially.

1. Big name coach or not, they all realize IU is going to be a long term rebuild - longer than fan base patience in the IU fish bowl.
  2. The expected length of tenure is currently 4 years, maybe less, depending on performance vs expectations.
  3. The IU fan base expects the team to compete for B1G titles, reverse the losing string to Purdue, and make deep runs in the ncaa within that time frame.
  4. The IU administration is not afraid to pull the ripcord, even with huge buyouts, thereby potentially ruining a coach's career if they don't meet expectations, even if the team's record improves each year.
  5. For a rapid turnaround, prospective coaches will want to know where they will get the players when:
    2. Top transfers from other programs want to go to currently winning programs, and
    3. Matt Painter has come into his own with top recruits throughout Indiana, and has a team that could be in the top 10 for the next few years.
  6. Even with top recruits, IU has shown no real progress toward meeting the fan base expectations.
  7. The mystique of the 5 banners is no longer a major selling point to coaches and elite players - who care only about what the program has done lately.
  8. There is a growing belief that IU's "brand" is more about RMK than IU - kind of how UCLA's brand is more about Wooden than the program itself.
  9. So with all those considerations, why would a successful coaching candidate - even at a mid-major program - want to abandon a good thing for IU's collapsing program, when they can wait for a more promising career move at a top program that has only stumbled for a few years? Texas or OU may not have the storied history of IU, but have had considerable success far more recently than IU.
The bottom line is that promising coaches will become more interested in IU when the expected length of tenure, and length of the fan base patience, exceeds the candidates' estimations of how long it will take to rebuild the program.

I respect your opinion, but disagree. Few are expecting us to contend for B10 titles or “reverse” the pu trend, if by that u mean beat them more than they beat us. I’d say both r or should he expectations long term, but not in The 4 yearish window u describe. People act like IU fans are some crazy impatient lot, but the reality is at other non b-ball schools, fans would’ve just stopped caring and attending and at real b-ball schools heads would roll, maybe sooner. Archie, NEVER went to the tourney; NEVER beat PU, barely ever beat Rutgers. And yet most accepted he’d be here another year and were shocked when dolson actually took action. If he’d done a couple of those just a couple times, he’d still be safely here and fans might he grumbling, but they’d accept it.

everyone can say IU fans are the problem, but I say they are the only hope I have left.

Reactions: IUgradman
Keep in mind, one of IU's "titles" was because Big Ten champion Purdue declined to go to the ncaa that year because Ward Lambert felt the students should better spend their time studying instead.

This is a myth; do not accept this Purdue revisionist history. Piggy Lambert did not "turn down" the "invitation". At that time, there was no automatic bid for the conference champion, and there was no invitation extended to Purdue.

A committee from each region selected a team to represent that region. The committee selected IU - they had beaten Purdue twice that season.

IU's NCAA titles were won on the court. Only Purdue's Helms "title" belongs in quotes.

I put the current status of IU basketball squarely on the back of Myles Brand. BK should have retired on his terms with a coaching prospect in the waiting. This is what happens when academia thinks they know how to run an athletic program. Should have hired Downing or Reynolds as AD. Things may have turned out much better.

If you don't want excellence.
Then your just fine with being mediocre.
IU's fanbase isnt going to settle for even 5 th place in the Big and one win in the tournament.
That's not gonna cut it here..It would be different if we were Purdue..
And never got to hoist mutiple 🏆
I'm patient..Let's see how it all plays out.
This is an odd stance when half the posters here were defending Archie by using Belein and coach K’s records at Michigan and Duke for why it was okay Archie hadn’t reached these lofty goals y’all have as fans. Quite the 180 y’all have taken.

Yep. Let's turn out the lights and shut the doors.

That big, ol' band of horrible, unreasonable IU alumni/fans won't/can't ever be pleased so let's just give up and accept mediocrity. Hell, the U.S. can't compete with China anymore. Let's just accept the inevitable and become a territory of that wonderful Chineses government. We can't compete. We shouldn't expect our leaders to compete. Let's just bow our heads and let someone else do it while we quietly just fade away.

This condescending, weak-kneed bullshit is tiresome.
Agree. That sounds like typical PU diatribe. He hit all of their talking points.

Wow, you are not even close. IU is the 5th wealthiest college program. That’s I right 5th. We also have more higher ranked player than most larger states and we(IU) are the state school. We have won 2 BiG ten championships in the last 7 years and have some of the best facilities in the nation. But you go ahead and think what you think Troll.

Why are you on our board you purdue puke? Because whether we talk anything or not we sure as hell don’t t care what some Purdue loser has to say. So stfu and go to your own board. Jerk!

Pretty sure Einstein would have been smart enough to figure out Archie was never going to be the long term answer.

@destewart still waiting on your dumbass to walk back your totally inaccurate comment on Jim Boeheim winning 2 national titles in the last 23 years

I was wrong. Point remains that Syracuse has had 45 years of continuity and quality basketball. No drama. No TD olving door. No chaos. Just an amazing period of consistently good basketball. Boeheim has NEVER had a losing season in 45 years.

Last edited:
Do you really believe a “flock of transfers” will be IU Basketball’s ticket back to respectability?
Every successful program needs to be built on
A strong foundation. Transfers and One and Done players do not create a strong foundation. How many NCAA championships have been won by schools relying on transfers and One and Done players?
Indiana Hoosiers 1987

No real progress? Davis went to a FF. Sampson had them in the top 10 in year 2. Crean won two B10 titles and had a S16 in 4 (from zero) and #1 seed by 5. Top five (or higher) B10 recruiting classes every year. Archie was a bust. But okay, no signs of potential. 🙄

I actually think IU fans have been too patient with coaches. We let Davis, Crean and Miller coach here longer than we should have. And fans of truly elite programs, whether it’s basketball or football, would never have accepted the crap that IU has put on the court for far too long.

The thought that IU’s fan base has too high of expectations is silly. The problem is, our expectations aren’t high enough.
This.

We've been patient 20 years,
WTF are you talking about

This is a myth; do not accept this Purdue revisionist history. Piggy Lambert did not "turn down" the "invitation". At that time, there was no automatic bid for the conference champion, and there was no invitation extended to Purdue.

A committee from each region selected a team to represent that region. The committee selected IU - they had beaten Purdue twice that season.

IU's NCAA titles were won on the court. Only Purdue's Helms "title" belongs in quotes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT