ADVERTISEMENT

Read this and tell me if

Eh — we’ve seen this movie before. Corp America threatened to move
manufacturing overseas unless we neutered unions. We did that and they moved anyway. They complained about taxes so we cut Corp tax rate and threw TIFs at them like candy and they still set up in tax havens and moved manufacturing overseas. Now they are extorting us over a (not really) livable wage. Lol. The federal minimum wages has been $7.25 since 2006? Weird that hasn’t led to a boom in manufacturing.
are you in manufacturing? and it has led increases in manufacturing. right here in river city. there's been a number of cut and sew and manufacturing factories sprout and some old ones hanging on in cental/eastern missouri and southern illinois. raise minimum wage to $15, on top of payroll raxes, worker's comp, etc. they will go overseas. it's already being explored. pakistan is a big outlet. atlas 46. schutt. tag. demoulin. on and on. these will be jobs lost. i know it as a fact. some of these have already started outsourcing some work to mexico.

the reason there isn't more manufacturing is because of exactly what i wrote. min wage; payroll taxes; worker's comp. it's no coincidence nike and the rest produce abroad. under armour still makes stuff here. for years the sec uniforms sponsored by under armour were being made in licking missouri. people who don't own businesses have no clue what raising minimum wages do to folks who count on these jobs. many in places that if the company leaves no one will come in to replace those jobs. tax abatements only go so far in attracting manufacturing. what's more with the pandemic owners are getting more and more worried. manufacturing abroad is easy. they all speak english. use dhl express so product turnaround is only another few days. etc. I’m always amazed at how people just assume that let’s just change the law and make companies pay 40 percent more is 1) tenable on the part of a company and 2) a company already running on tight margins trying to be made in America will put up with that and stay. And by stay I don’t mean the co leaves. The co stats in the states it just outsources all of its work out of country.

and i get minimum wage is impossible to live on alone. but i'm not sure raising it is the answer. training and education so that one doesn't have to work for minimum wage is a better approach in my view.

Last edited:
are you in manufacturing? and it has led increases in manufacturing. right here in river city. there's been a number of cut and sew and manufacturing factories sprout and some old ones hanging on in cental/eastern missouri and southern illinois. raise minimum wage to $15, on top of payroll raxes, worker's comp, etc. they will go overseas. it's already being explored. pakistan is a big outlet. atlas 46. schutt. tag. demoulin. on and on. these will be jobs lost. i know it as a fact. some of these have already started outsourcing some work to mexico.

the reason there isn't more manufacturing is because of exactly what i wrote. min wage; payroll taxes; worker's comp. it's no coincidence nike and the rest produce abroad. under armour still makes stuff here. for years the sec uniforms sponsored by under armour were being made in licking missouri. people who don't own businesses have no clue what raising minimum wages do to folks who count on these jobs. many in places that if the company leaves no one will come in to replace those jobs. tax abatements only go so far in attracting manufacturing. what's more with the pandemic owners are getting more and more worried. manufacturing abroad is easy. they all speak english. use dhl express so product turnaround is only another few days. etc. I’m always amazed at how people just assume that let’s just change the law and make companies pay 40 percent more is 1) tenable on the part of a company and 2) a company already running on tight margins trying to be made in America will put up with that and stay.

and i get minimum wage is impossible to live on alone. but i'm not sure raising it is the answer. training and education so that one doesn't have to work for minimum wage is a better approach in my view.

So the US is losing manufacturing jobs because of the minimum wage....which hasn’t gone up in 14 years? Seems like a pretty wobbly argument to me. Manufacturing did leave the US because of wage growth but not for the reasons you listed. Low- end manufacturing left all post-industrial nations regardless of how they taxed or how they set minimum wages. We moved up the supply chain and that’s a good thing. China is desperately trying to do the same while losing some manufacturing jobs to Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.

Per usual, we agree that education and training is the way. Great minds usually end up in the same spot! Lol

So the US is losing manufacturing jobs because of the minimum wage....which hasn’t gone up in 14 years? Seems like a pretty wobbly argument to me. Manufacturing did leave the US because of wage growth but not for the reasons you listed. Low- end manufacturing left all post-industrial nations regardless of how they taxed or how they set minimum wages. We moved up the supply chain and that’s a good thing. China is desperately trying to do the same while losing some manufacturing jobs to Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.

Per usual, we agree that education and training is the way. Great minds usually end up in the same spot! Lol
no we haven't lost more because, among other things, minimum wage hasn't gone up. if it goes up 40% we most certainly will lose more. we need to figure out a way to get more manufacturing back. hell one of the top 20 toys of all time is owned by a privately held llc in clayton. of course they manufacture in china. it's unfortunate. paying a decent wage and having a profitable business is not easy to do. consider approximately 80 percent of products in walmart today are made in china. raising minimum wage for the few companies still trying to be made in america squeezes what's left of their profitability and incentive to do it here. endless taxes, regulation, worker's comp, on and on make made in america really, really difficult.

ha for sure on ed and training

Last edited:
no we haven't lost more because, among other things, minimum wage hasn't gone up. if it goes up 40% we most certainly will lose more. we need to figure out a way to get more manufacturing back. hell one of the top 20 toys of all time is owned by a privately held llc in clayton. of course they manufacture in china. it's unfortunate. paying a decent wage and having a profitable business is not easy to do. consider approximately 80 percent of products in walmart today are made in china. raising minimum wage for the few companies still trying to be made in america squeezes what's left of their profitability and incentive to do it here. endless taxes, regulation, worker's comp, on and on make made in america really, really difficult.

Providing healthcare for full time employees is another huge disadvantage. Wages are controllable, overhead is the hard one to manage.
The consumer doesn't care where their stuff is made...they might say they do, but when they are shopping?....they don't.

Providing healthcare for full time employees is another huge disadvantage. Wages are controllable, overhead is the hard one to manage.
The consumer doesn't care where their stuff is made...they might say they do, but when they are shopping?....they don't.
agreed. as is overtime. these are unskilled jobs so they are under the flsa and subject to time and a half or double time pay. people think oh they're a company they must be rich and are just Fing employees. no. it's really freaking hard to make products in the US.

Last edited:

Good post

8247121-1280x0-c-default.png

A little dated...but.

St. Louis will be hard to overtake. They have a nut-case Soros-funded prosecutor.

I'm confused by your policy prescriptions. You're saying that we need more education and training so that people don't have to work for an unlivable minimum wage. What happens to those jobs when those people are educated and trained and don't have to work for an unlivable minimum wage? Aren't those jobs just going to be shipped off then? Isn't the end result the same?

I'm confused by your policy prescriptions. You're saying that we need more education and training so that people don't have to work for an unlivable minimum wage. What happens to those jobs when those people are educated and trained and don't have to work for an unlivable minimum wage? Aren't those jobs just going to be shipped off then? Isn't the end result the same?
too many people are relying on what were engendered to be part time jobs or jobs for retirees and kids. now people have become reliant upon certain jobs for their livelihood that again were intended as stepping stone jobs. there will always be a percentage of folks in certain parts of the country that won't be able to avail themselves of more education and training (easily), and count on these jobs and do just fine on $9 an hour where their spouse works etc. the job leaves there isn't one to replace it.

Oh man, the things you’d have to do to get manufacturing back would be brutal. You want China’s water and air? You don’t want to be able to sue your employer if they f you over? Mandatory overtime? 6 day work weeks? Kids are going back to work?
Americans aren’t going back to all that for $3 an hour.

It’s just so weird that some other developed nations without all our geographic advantages are able to pay a livable wage, provide social safety nets, maintain better wage and wealth equality, and not bury themselves in debt. How do they do it (free education and healthcare)? It’s a mystery (less corporate welfare). I guess we’ll never know (cycle of poverty, systemic racism). 😀

Oh man, the things you’d have to do to get manufacturing back would be brutal. You want China’s water and air? You don’t want to be able to sue your employer if they f you over? Mandatory overtime? 6 day work weeks? Kids are going back to work?
Americans aren’t going back to all that for $3 an hour.

It’s just so weird that some other developed nations without all our geographic advantages are able to pay a livable wage, provide social safety nets, maintain better wage and wealth equality, and not bury themselves in debt. How do they do it (free education and healthcare)? It’s a mystery (less corporate welfare). I guess we’ll never know (cycle of poverty, systemic racism). 😀
Maybe a third party will one day

Reactions: hondo314
If Republicans ever took control of city politics they would most likely try to find a way to remove parts of the south and west side from city limits.

Of course a Republican take over of Chicago city politics is highly unlikely any time soon. A quick look back in Chicago history might be informative regarding parts of the south and west sides within the Chicago city limits.

Here is one courtesy of the Chicago NBC outlet: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/how-mayor-daley-outfoxed-martin-luther-king/1902225/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT