ADVERTISEMENT

Read this and tell me if

Conde Nast Traveler has named it the Top Big City in the US for 3 straight years. I've lived in Chicago for 27 years and have never seen a violent crime.

Court is a know-nothing who probably drives from hillbilly town to the Indy airport and then off to some wasteland in Florida...land of ZERO culture...and back again.
It’s hilarious how becoming a Midwest to Florida snowbird is living the dream for so many. The majority of Florida is a legit chithole. Congrats to those who can afford the decent parts.

Reactions: Bill4411
lol

Last time you came here sobbing about my post there was violence and looting the next week in the very areas you brag about.

Numbers don't lie...partisans lie.
You have no numbers or knowledge of what you’re talking about so again, please be quiet.

Reactions: Bill4411
You’re nuts brother. In another month you’ll have that 911 on blocks fighting freezing rain and fla will be settling in for a daily temp of 78 degrees for the next six months. F culture. I’d rather be outside.

Yeah...but you'd have to be outside in Florida. ;)

Unless it's the Keys or Mobile adjacent, I'm not really into it. 🤷‍♂️

It’s hilarious how becoming a Midwest to Florida snowbird is living the dream for so many. The majority of Florida is a legit chithole. Congrats to those who can afford the decent parts.
Well why the hell would anyone bother with the “chithole” parts. And the majority of most states are a chithole. The difference is oh 80 degrees ten months of the year, homestead, no state income tax, state universities for $6,300 a year, water, the ability to boat to the Bahamas or the keys in a few hours. Endless interesting things to do in just a few hours drive. Amazing nature. Yes by all means people should root themselves to the Midwest.

Listen jerk. Fla is the poor man’s calif. we all can’t make movies in LA

Meh...not really. I'd much rather live in Mobile, Savannah, Atlanta, Austin - heck, give me coastal SC over almost all of Florida. Very honestly, I'd much rather live in Logansport than Boca.

That said, the murder stats offered up help me understand your thoughts on St. Louis. I didn't realize that the murder rates were leading the nation by such a high margin.

Meh...not really. I'd much rather live in Mobile, Savannah, Atlanta, Austin - heck, give me coastal SC over almost all of Florida. Very honestly, I'd much rather live in Logansport than Boca.

That said, the murder stats offered up help me understand your thoughts on St. Louis. I didn't realize that the murder rates were leading the nation by such a high margin.
I love savannah but too small. I lived in on the coast of sc for for years. Miserable other than a few parts. Redneck hell. Bad crime. Little to do outside of Charleston proper. Atlanta I like but I’d rather be near water. Never been to Austin. Mobile see SC

Siesta key. Parts of Sarasota. Parts of Delray. Parts of the keys. The Bahamas. Outside of calif I like it the best. No where compares to s calif imo.

No, the dumbest argument is blaming guns as if they’re the problem and not the pieces of human scum committing those heinous acts.

Anyone willing to commit those crimes would be willing to use unregistered weapons anyway.
I highly doubt anybody was killing anyone else with a gun that was registered to them

I love savannah but too small. I lived in on the coast of sc for for years. Miserable other than a few parts. Redneck hell. Bad crime. Little to do outside of Charleston proper. Atlanta I like but I’d rather be near water. Never been to Austin. Mobile see SC

Siesta key. Parts of Sarasota. Parts of Delray. Parts of the keys. The Bahamas. Outside of calif I like it the best. No where compares to s calif imo.

Different strokes for different folks. I have lots of friends who love the southern Gulf coast of Florida, but it's not my bag. A lot of Sannibel folks and such. I'd much rather have Mobile (I love the unique culture there), but then I'd MUCH rather have the southern Keys. The Atlantic coast of Florida is hell for me though. It's Joe's Crab Shack, the region to me.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Different strokes for different folks. I have lots of friends who love the southern Gulf coast of Florida, but it's not my bag. A lot of Sannibel folks and such. I'd much rather have Mobile (I love the unique culture there), but then I'd MUCH rather have the southern Keys. The Atlantic coast of Florida is hell for me though. It's Joe's Crab Shack, the region to me.
I like south fla most because of its winter weather and proximity to everything but yes it’s got a ton of problems. 95 traffic being high on the list

Reactions: 76-1
How many were shot by legally-owned guns?

How many were shot by White Nationalists?

How many were shot by NRA or GOA members?

How many were shot by Proud Boys or Patriot Prayer or 3% or Oath Keepers?

How many were shot by AR15 varients?

That doesn’t matter. The solution is more guns, period.

I like south fla most because of its winter weather and proximity to everything but yes it’s got a ton of problems. 95 traffic being high on the list
I used to dream of being that old, shirtless, slightly drunk, leather-skinned guy carrying a book, a beach chair, and a cooler along the street in Grayton Beach...then it went too commercial.

I used to dream of being that old, shirtless, slightly drunk, leather-skinned guy carrying a book, a beach chair, and a cooler along the street in Grayton Beach...then it went too commercial.
Lmao. I love this. I know. Those old fla spots are harder and harder to find.

lol

Last time you came here sobbing about my post there was violence and looting the next week in the very areas you brag about.

Numbers don't lie...partisans lie.

People are fleeing... just wait until the city has to declare bankruptcy

The apartment occupancy rate in downtown Chicago, according to Crain’s Chicago Business and Integra Realty Resources, has fallen to 89.2%, which may not sound bad, until you learn it’s the lowest level in 18 years.

“Since the second round of looting, it’s been like the Hoover Dam broke and the water is gushing through,” Matt Laricy with Americorp Real Estate told Crain’s on Aug. 31. “My phone does not stop ringing with people who say they love Chicago but they’ve had enough.”

Lmao. I love this. I know. Those old fla spots are harder and harder to find.
There used to be a place (dive) there called Shorty's. It was an awesome beach bar. It's since been replaced by a corporate looking bar/grill called Chiringo's...kind of a Florida Chotchkie's with tropical drinks and garage doors. Under normal circumstances, an okay, cookie cutter kind of place, but it replaced a classic. 😠

There used to be a place (dive) there called Shorty's. It was an awesome beach bar. It's since been replaced by a corporate looking bar/grill called Chiringo's...kind of a Florida Chotchkie's with tropical drinks and garage doors. Under normal circumstances, an okay, cookie cutter kind of place, but it replaced a classic. 😠
Yeah that sucks. The charm gets eaten away bit by bit. 30A is huge for Saint louisans because it’s just an 11 hour dr down 55. And as you know the beaches are beautiful.

People are fleeing... just wait until the city has to declare bankruptcy

The apartment occupancy rate in downtown Chicago, according to Crain’s Chicago Business and Integra Realty Resources, has fallen to 89.2%, which may not sound bad, until you learn it’s the lowest level in 18 years.

“Since the second round of looting, it’s been like the Hoover Dam broke and the water is gushing through,” Matt Laricy with Americorp Real Estate told Crain’s on Aug. 31. “My phone does not stop ringing with people who say they love Chicago but they’ve had enough.”
I’m not going to pay for the article, but I would be interested to hear the math on the 89% occupancy. Considering how much inventory flooded the market for studio and 1 bed apartments in 2017-19, it’s not a surprising spike on the surface. One of the highest inventory increases in the cities history. The trend of people moving to cities was organic pre Covid which makes it reasonable to believe it will continue after. The rate of people leaving the state of IL is another story entirely.

My anecdotal response to your anecdotal quote from the article is my very successful friends in residential real estate say they’ve never been busier and closing sales are business as usual. Although they do more townhouses, houses, and premium condo vs. the 200K to 500K inventory.

It would make sense that the rental market for broke post college clients to take a dip so they can run home to their mommies basement.

Two rounds of looting do not make a trend, and the orange messiah bad mouthing a rival city mayor and state governor do not make the FOX news stories reality. Chicago is suffering the same way every other city is suffering, a direct result of Covid. I’m one of Chicago’s biggest critics, but the right wing narrative about US cities is BS. We live here.

If you’re really Jamie Dimons Balls, you should be able to better process volatility vs parroting political agendas.

Of course these morons in Chicago that are fan boys of Lori Lightfoot, Rahm, Daley, etc. think this is new phenomenon...

In fact, Illinois has been struggling for years now...

One thing is certain: Illinois’ population has declined by 157,000 residents over the past five years, making it one of only two states — West Virginia is the other — to lose people over the past decade.

Congrats on Illinois being compared to the infamous West Virginia. At least people acknowledge that WV is a shithole with a grim outlook.

The Chicago area's population declined for the fourth year in a row in 2018, according to the latest Census Bureau estimates. There were 22,000 fewer residents in the 14-county metro area than in 2017, a drop of 0.2 percent, and the first time since 2010 that the area's population has slipped below 9.5 million people.

tenor.gif

Not only is it Chicago, but all of Illinois

JG_03.27.2020_Illinois-metro-areas.png

Now the budget deficit for Chicago alone is projected to be $800 million in 2020 and $1.2 billion in 2021.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 76-1
Of course these morons in Chicago that are fan boys of Lori Lightfoot, Rahm, Daley, etc. think this is new phenomenon...

In fact, Illinois has been struggling for years now...

One thing is certain: Illinois’ population has declined by 157,000 residents over the past five years, making it one of only two states — West Virginia is the other — to lose people over the past decade.

Congrats on Illinois being compared to the infamous West Virginia. At least people acknowledge that WV is a shithole with a grim outlook.

The Chicago area's population declined for the fourth year in a row in 2018, according to the latest Census Bureau estimates. There were 22,000 fewer residents in the 14-county metro area than in 2017, a drop of 0.2 percent, and the first time since 2010 that the area's population has slipped below 9.5 million people.

tenor.gif

Not only is it Chicago, but all of Illinois

JG_03.27.2020_Illinois-metro-areas.png

Now the budget deficit for Chicago alone is projected to be $800 million in 2020 and $1.2 billion in 2021.

giphy.gif

Listening to DrHoops talk about how Chicago's gun problem is much ado about nothing and how he has has never seen a violent crime in Chicago, as he's holed up in his Streeterville bubble is laugh out loud funny. He is the definition of an out of touch, liberal, elite.

All those Cops that you have fun clowning around with are being diverted from other neighborhoods with real problems because Lightfoot doesn't like the optics of the Mag Mile being looted.

The fact is that this violence is increasingly not limited to a select few neighborhoods. I had a gangland murder outside my River West apartment just last week. Sitting at my buddies Logan park duplex this past weekend we had the pleasure of listening to gunshots a few blocks west of us, ho hum. Was out for drinks at WestEnd in the West Loop two weeks ago and got to see a patio full of people go sprawling for cover as more gun shots rang out.

It is an increasing part of life for every Chicagoan, at least those who dare venture west of Halsted once in a while.

Listening to DrHoops talk about how Chicago's gun problem is much ado about nothing and how he has has never seen a violent crime in Chicago, as he's holed up in his Streeterville bubble is laugh out loud funny. He is the definition of an out of touch, liberal, elite.

All those Cops that you have fun clowning around with are being diverted from other neighborhoods with real problems because Lightfoot doesn't like the optics of the Mag Mile being looted.

The fact is that this violence is increasingly not limited to a select few neighborhoods. I had a gangland murder outside my River West apartment just last week. Sitting at my buddies Logan park duplex this past weekend we had the pleasure of listening to gunshots a few blocks west of us, ho hum. Was out for drinks at WestEnd in the West Loop two weeks ago and got to see a patio full of people go sprawling for cover as more gun shots rang out.

It is an increasing part of life for every Chicagoan, at least those who dare venture west of Halsted once in a while.

He's much further north and west of Streeterville. There have been a few shootings over in Wicker area and this woman was killed at Walgreens.

He's much further north and west of Streeterville. There have been a few shootings over in Wicker area and this woman was killed at Walgreens.

Truly heinous, despicable crime. Sadly crime in “Wicker area” (Wicker Park for anyone remotely familiar with the city) happens daily. You should have seen it 10, 15, 20 years ago. Crime in the blue line neighborhoods is very common unfortunately, but it’s improved considerably.

Can I ask where you live?

Dr Hoops.

05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg

Anyone got a solution?

A), end the drug war.

B) serious national gun legislation.

C), mandatory life, no parole, for anyone convicted of murder, and serious hard time for anyone convicted of shooting at someone.

D), a $15 hr minimum wage.

A), end the drug war.

B) serious national gun legislation.

C), mandatory life, no parole, for anyone convicted of murder, and serious hard time for anyone convicted of shooting at someone.

D), a $15 hr minimum wage.
Every company I work with would send their jobs to China, Pakistan, Mexico if there’s $15 min wage. Every single one.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucy01
Every company I work with would send their jobs to China, Pakistan, Mexico if there’s $15 min wage. Every single one.

most of those that logistically and financially could, already have.

that said, i'd put a tariff on everything that could be done from on shore, so big that the giant sucking sound would operate in reverse.

stopping the exodus isn't enough. (like i said, most all who could already have).

being at the total mercy of China and elsewhere for goods, both needed and wanted, isn't in the best interests of the country, only Wall St.

have we learned nothing?

most of those that logistically and financially could, already have.

that said, i'd put a tariff on everything that could be done from on shore, so big that the giant sucking sound would operate in reverse.

stopping the exodus isn't enough. (like i said, most all who could already have).

being at the total mercy of China and elsewhere for goods, both needed and wanted, isn't in the best interests of the country, only Wall St.

have we learned nothing?
agreed there'd have to be some other mechanism of protection. but no these outfits absolutely financially and logistically could; they just haven't.

agreed there'd have to be some other mechanism of protection. but no these outfits absolutely financially and logistically could; they just haven't.

what's their scale, and are they public or private?

and what are they paying per hr now.

that said, props to them that they haven't, but if they haven't yet, i question if $15 hr will really push them over the edge.

Reactions: hondo314
what's their scale, and are they public or private?

and what are they paying per hr now.

that said, props to them that they haven't, but if they haven't yet, i question if $15 hr will really push them over the edge.
these companies are cut and sew factories for the most part. apparel. sporting gear. construction gear. they do between 5 and 15 mil a year. employ about 50 - 200 people. cut and sew is around ten bucks an hour. sounds like shit but they're all older, uneducated women. their husbands drive trucks etc. combined they do okay. live in inexpensive parts of the midwest for the most part. same work in pakistan is $3 an hour

Last edited:
these companies are cut and sew factories for the most part. apparel. sporting gear. construction gear. they do between 5 and 15 mil a year. employ about 50 - 200 people. cut and sew is around ten bucks an hour. sounds like shit but they're all older, uneducated women. they're husbands drive trucks etc. combined they do okay. live in inexpensive parts of the midwest for the most part. same work in pakistan is $3 an hour

scale of that size could contract the work offshore, but i highly doubt it would be worth it to move offshore.

that said, are $10 hr sht jobs all that tough to find?

and their new job would pay $15 hr in a $15 hr min wage country.

the gains of $15 hr min wage would out strip the losses by a large magnitude.

on a side note, what are their healthcare policies, and how do they feel about MFA.

Last edited:

There are a couple of these excuse makers here. Part of the reason it has gotten so bad and getting worse.

these companies are cut and sew factories for the most part. apparel. sporting gear. construction gear. they do between 5 and 15 mil a year. employ about 50 - 200 people. cut and sew is around ten bucks an hour. sounds like shit but they're all older, uneducated women. their husbands drive trucks etc. combined they do okay. live in inexpensive parts of the midwest for the most part. same work in pakistan is $3 an hour

Eh — we’ve seen this movie before. Corp America threatened to move
manufacturing overseas unless we neutered unions. We did that and they moved anyway. They complained about taxes so we cut Corp tax rate and threw TIFs at them like candy and they still set up in tax havens and moved manufacturing overseas. Now they are extorting us over a (not really) livable wage. Lol. The federal minimum wages has been $7.25 since 2006? Weird that hasn’t led to a boom in manufacturing.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT