ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Opening Plan

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Over the weekend a friend told me that a plan floating around to re-open campuses this fall would be to go straight through school starts to Thanksgiving with no Fall Break to limit the number of kids that go home and come back with some kind of disease. And there I was worried for all those years about coming back from Spring Break.....but I digress.

Sounds like as good as a compromise between business as usual vs. virtual learning as I can think of.

Reactions: vesuvius13
In my opinion..., reopening college campuses this Fall semester, knowing full well that those students are going to return home for Christmas Break (or most likely, many of them prior to that) while there will still be no vaccine available on country wide basis prior to Christmas Break is absolute Lunacy...!!!!!

College campuses are second only to cruise ships when it comes to enhanced spreading of viruses...

Desiring to go back to work to pay for milk and food for your family that I can understand... Putting your kid and eventually your entire family at risk just so they can have "the campus experience", is full on Nuts, in my opinion...

Unless your student is a future nurse, medical doctor or vaccine research assistant, they don't have any business anywhere near a college campus this fall, in my, common sense based, opinion...

Last edited:
In my opinion..., reopening college campuses this Fall semester, knowing full well that those students are going to return home for Christmas Break (or most likely, many of them prior to that) while there will still be no vaccine available on country wide basis prior to Christmas Break is absolute Lunacy...!!!!!

College campus are second only to cruise ships when it comes to enhanced spreading of viruses...

Desiring to go back to work to pay for milk and food for your family that I can understand... Putting your kid and eventually your entire family at risk just so they can have "the campus experience", is full on Nuts, in my opinion...

Unless your student is a future nurse, medical doctor or vaccine research assistant, they don't have any business anywhere near a college campus this fall, in my, common sense based, opinion...
I scratch my head on this as well. My sophomore year in college a food service worker came to work while sick. Within 2 days almost everyone on campus had it. Classes were cancelled, etc.

To think college students on campus would follow any kind of guidelines, health related or not, is.....wishful thinking

Over the weekend a friend told me that a plan floating around to re-open campuses this fall would be to go straight through school starts to Thanksgiving with no Fall Break to limit the number of kids that go home and come back with some kind of disease. And there I was worried for all those years about coming back from Spring Break.....but I digress.

Sounds like as good as a compromise between business as usual vs. virtual learning as I can think of.
That's something that has been discussed, but you need to understand that a LOT of scenarios have been discussed, but nothing concrete has been determined. We all have our opinions of course, but I just don't see there being some strange hybrid plan put into place that keeps kids "locked on campus" or "locked in a dorm". At least that won't be the norm. Some schools may certainly try it though. They will either open with some new plans for disinfecting and such or they simply won't open at all. Social distancing is almost impossible because of limited space for most schools. Even if you reduce class sizes, it presents a huge challenge scheduling wise. The numbers of proven deaths continues to drop dramatically. Just today, I saw that John Hopkins says 79,000 total US deaths, but the CDC corrected site says 45,000. I still think there's so much unknown out there and whatever side of the coin you place your faith, determines what you think should be done moving forward. The bottom-line is we weren't safe before March of 2020 and we won't be safe in the Fall either. We are dirty society that spreads germs and there's no quick, easy fix. Shutting it down doesn't help either as that will cause a domino effect financially. I've stated that most colleges will play, as will most professional leagues because they won't be able to afford not to. States that will try to remain closed most of the year are really going to suffer as other states open up and begin to move cash again.

As 9/11 taught us that we are no longer safe to travel about without worry, Coronavirus will forever change how we view our health as we realize that even going and doing basic things we love to do, can infect us with something that can kill us within a matter of days. For many, this realization will forever change how they move about in society, but it should be also make people realize that we were vulnerable to viruses and such before Coronavirus as well. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing and I hope that those that don't feel it's safe for them or their immediate family members to move about will stay home and regain their faith in society again (if that's possible), but for those that are willing to take the chance, or depend on society opening up so that financially they can survive and be as they were, then I hope that's allowed to happen too.

One thing is certainly, we will never stop spreading germs completely unless we all decide to live in a bubble and I just don't see that happening.

College campuses are second only to cruise ships when it comes to enhanced spreading of viruses...

I have news for you. The influenza vaccine really doesn’t work well. That’s why Influenza kills thousands of Elderly every year just like Covid-19. This isn’t really anything they can stop. We just have to keep living and work with it. It’s that simple. We live our lives with life threatening diseases and life threatening situations every single day.

I scratch my head on this as well. My sophomore year in college a food service worker came to work while sick. Within 2 days almost everyone on campus had it. Classes were cancelled, etc.

To think college students on campus would follow any kind of guidelines, health related or not, is.....wishful thinking

What is the mortality rate for college age students (18-24)? I would guess that it’s less than 0.5%. What exactly are we worried about? Keep them out of nursing homes.

What is the mortality rate for college age students (18-24)? I would guess that it’s less than 0.5%. What exactly are we worried about? Keep them out of nursing homes.
Why does everyone not understand that a young person carrying the virus can spread it to more vulnerable people. This decision is not about whether we have football this fall. I hope we do but it better have nothing to do with the decision to bring students back in the fall.j⁸

As 9/11 taught us that we are no longer safe to travel about without worry, Coronavirus will forever change how we view our health as we realize that even going and doing basic things we love to do, can infect us with something that can kill us within a matter of days. For many, this realization will forever change how they move about in society, but it should be also make people realize that we were vulnerable to viruses and such before Coronavirus as well.

I guess it all depends on what you want to focus on. 911 was a terrible tragedy but with that being said, I do not worry AT ALL about traveling. Wasted energy IMO.

I think the real victim is the perception of the common Joe and Jane in this country. They must have thought that all the viruses of the world had died or surrendered the fight. A terribly naive position. CoVid has not changed my perception at all. I knew before that a pandemic was possible at any time. They have happened before and they will happen again. Once again if people obsess on the next pandemic and let it radically change their life, it is their choice but, IMO, what a waste of energy.

Why does everyone not understand that a young person carrying the virus can spread it to more vulnerable people. This decision is not about whether we have football this fall. I hope we do but it better have nothing to do with the decision to bring students back in the fall.j⁸

Evidently fkfootball has never been to a family gathering during Christmas...

All I can say to him is that bringing youngsters back from a college campus during this pandemic to such a get together would be about as intelligent as walking into the room with a pistol (with 1or 2 rounds in the cylinder) and routinely walking around pointing it at family members and pulling the trigger... (with basically the same results)...

Last edited:
Reactions: cryano and JIMSHAM
Evidently fkfootball has never been to a family gathering during Christmas...

All I can say to him is that bringing youngsters back from a college campus during this pandemic to such a get together would be about as intelligent as walking into the room with a pistol (with 1or 2 rounds in the cylinder) and routinely walking around pointing it at family members and pulling the trigger... (with basically the same results)...

also, a lot of people try to use the fact that most infected people will be asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms as a reason as why it’s not that bad. However, that is actually what makes it so dangerous and hard to control. All those asymptomatic people are what cause it to spread so rapidly.

I guess it all depends on what you want to focus on. 911 was a terrible tragedy but with that being said, I do not worry AT ALL about traveling. Wasted energy IMO.

I think the real victim is the perception of the common Joe and Jane in this country. They must have thought that all the viruses of the world had died or surrendered the fight. A terribly naive position. CoVid has not changed my perception at all. I knew before that a pandemic was possible at any time. They have happened before and they will happen again. Once again if people obsess on the next pandemic and let it radically change their life, it is their choice but, IMO, what a waste of energy.
You may not worry AT ALL, but I am 81 years old with history of pneumonia and lung infection last year, and I worry A LOT. Unfortunately, what other people do affects me. I’m not ready to die and hope to be able to cheer for the Hoosiers for many more years. I get upset with the attitude that we should just let the old people die or have to stay home and never go out. This virus is different because of asymptomatic carriers.

You may not worry AT ALL, but I am 81 years old with history of pneumonia and lung infection last year, and I worry A LOT. Unfortunately, what other people do affects me. I’m not ready to die and hope to be able to cheer for the Hoosiers for many more years. I get upset with the attitude that we should just let the old people die or have to stay home and never go out. This virus is different because of asymptomatic carriers.

That is your right. If I was you I would probably be worried too but you did not quote me correctly. I said I was not worried AT ALL about traveling.

In regards to the virus, I take what I deem to be prudent precautions given my health status, much like you do. And as much as it sucks you should probably stay at home to help mitigate your exposure.

If you are insinuating that I think we should just let old people die then you couldn't be more wrong. My mother is 102. I have siblings that are 80, 75 and 70. This virus could literally wipe out my family.

Your last sentence captures the problem with this virus. The number of a symptomatic people is alarming as is the vast range of how it attacks different people. That being said, this virus will pass but unfortunately there will be another one down the road.

Ergo the emphasis on testing. I just went and was voluntarily tested yesterday. No charge. A little discomfort for 30 seconds and done.

I'm as big a critic of the administration's response to this thing as there is, particularly the extreme mixed message between the official "admin response" vs. what the president says at any given time. No denying there's a big disconnect.

But, pragmatically, I can say with full confidence that this is not sustainable. I'm lucky. I can home school my kids, meet clients, take depositions, and even do court hearings online from the comfort and security of my basement. Millions are not as fortunate. Brick and mortar businesses WILL go under for lack of foot traffic and because the margins at business like restaurants are so thin that they can't survive on 50% occupancy. And that's regardless of social distancing orders. If people don't feel safe, they won't go out like before.

I strongly believe that this is the time for leadership and really getting out there with a plan and instill confidence in the people. March was the time to get infection testing & contact tracing out there. Now is the time to have anti-body testing (that works better than what we've got) and hopefully a lot better handle on the level of protection that antibodies give you from re-infection. Instead, we're bickering by using catch-phrases and retreating to entrenched political positions as if a virus can have a political bent.

I think economic realities will drive back to campus plans.

There are no entities greedier than universities.

Students and their parents will not keep paying $20000/year for public education and $50000 or more for private schools for on-line services.

Have you heard someone actually say "let old people die"? That's insane if so, but as far as you staying home, what other alternative do you have right now? That's a serious question. I have Asthma & my doctor called me personally a couple weeks ago to tell me that I need to be careful, but survival isn't only about physical health. I have to go back to work at some point, soon. There is no "perfect" answer to this situation. No matter what we do, some are going to get sick, & some, unfortunately are going to die(not you, my point is, I get the impression that a lot of people are under the illusion that our objective here is to make it completely safe before we go back out into the world. That's not going to happen. Not even close, it's impossible. People need to understand that). & we're all under threat from what other people do,& not everyone is going to do the right thing. We are in danger, & we're just going to have to live & work with it for now, as best we can.

I'm with you.

What irritates me most is that there's been little to no effort (that I'm aware of) by any local governments to get P100 level masks to those who are most at risk prior to just opening things up...

Basically, if you're over 59 years old and have any underlying conditions that might make you high risk, you're on your own... Here's hoping you have plenty of food on hand or have someone out there you can trust with your life to shop for you...

It's a sad commentary on our society in general, (in my opinion), that we wouldn't have made any significant moves to protect the most vulnerable "Before" opening things up...

It's simple: Healthcare workers (at all levels) and First Responders should get the P100 gear 1st and those most at risk who need to be mobile next...

If we don't have enough to go around we ought to stay locked down till we do...

Last edited:
Actually, I heard today that there is growing evidence that children don't spread the virus as easily as adults.

This was from an epidemiologist, but I don't remember what news program it was on.

Actually, I heard today that there is growing evidence that children don't spread the virus as easily as adults.

This was from an epidemiologist, but I don't remember what news program it was on.
I don't think much about this whole ordeal is known with much certainty. I know that 80,000 plus deaths in less than 3 months with significant shutdowns in place for much of it is not comparable to the normal flu season despite the protests of the Rand Paul' and Rush Limbaugh crowd. Back to the subject at hand--are 20 year old college students children relative to the data you referenced? Next birthday is 70 so they sure look like it to me. Hope the result you saw turns out to be right. Would be a big help to reopening.

I'm with you.

What irritates me most is that there's been little to no effort (that I'm aware of) by any local governments to get P100 level masks to those who are most at risk prior to just opening things up...

Basically, if you're over 59 years old and have any underlying conditions that might make you high risk, you're on your own... Here's hoping you have plenty of food on hand or have someone out there you can trust with your life to shop for you...

It's a sad commentary on our society in general, (in my opinion), that we wouldn't have made any significant moves to protect the most vulnerable "Before" opening things up...

It's simple: Healthcare workers (at all levels) and First Responders should get the P100 gear 1st and those most at risk who need to be mobile next...

If we don't have enough to go around we ought to stay locked down till we do...

I am 78 years old, in good physical condition for my age, but have several pre-existing conditions, , live alone, have plenty of masks, wipes, Lysol spray, Purell, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc. I go to the grocery and pharmacy, practice social distancing and stay at home except when necessary to replenish groceries and medications or take things to be delivered to my wife who resides in a senior living facility where she’s locked down. I have no complaints with how the government has handled my situation. Previously I said I went in and was tested according to the rules established by the state of Indiana. I did so to be a hood citizen and help build the testing base.

I am 78 years old, in good physical condition for my age, but have several pre-existing conditions, , live alone, have plenty of masks, wipes, Lysol spray, Purell, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc. I go to the grocery and pharmacy, practice social distancing and stay at home except when necessary to replenish groceries and medications or take things to be delivered to my wife who resides in a senior living facility where she’s locked down. I have no complaints with how the government has handled my situation. Previously I said I went in and was tested according to the rules established by the state of Indiana. I did so to be a hood citizen and help build the testing base.

As you most likely know, many of your fellow elderly citizens across the both the state and the country don't have plenty of anything, up to and including food...

If you don't see a problem with how both the Federal and State governments are rushing to reopen without providing the less fortunate the means to at least make an effort to protect themselves when they have to go out than I highly doubt anything I can type on here could get thru to you...

The "I've got mine, screw everyone else" runs deep with you.

Not Surprising At All...

As you most likely know, many of your fellow elderly citizens across the both the state and the country don't have plenty of anything, up to and including food...

If you don't see a problem with how both the Federal and State governments are rushing to reopen without providing the less fortunate the means to at least make an effort to protect themselves when they have to go out than I highly doubt anything I can type on here could get thru to you...

Not Surprising At All...

No, I realize that the best way to care for those less fortunate is to have a viable economy with the strong working while at the same time protecting the vulnerable. A far better plan of action would have been spending some of the trillions to care for those less fortunate and most at risk and not shutting town the economy and putting 33 million people out of work. You always want to play the attack dog and you sure do not present solid solutions. You prefer to suggest anybody with an opposing opinion just doesn’t get it.

No, I realize that the best way to care for those less fortunate is to have a viable economy with the strong working while at the same time protecting the vulnerable. A far better plan of action would have been spending some of the trillions to care for those less fortunate and most at risk and not shutting town the economy and putting 33 million people out of work. You always want to play the attack dog and you sure do not present solid solutions. You prefer to suggest anybody with an opposing opinion just doesn’t get it.
In 1968 we were so pre-occupied by the Vietnam war that nothing special was done with regard to the Hong Kong flu. 100,000 people died in the US. There was no change in life-styles, the economy, and no social distancing. Wonder if we have done this all wrong. Also, Woodstock occurred during the pandemic.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
In 1968 we were so pre-occupied by the Vietnam war that nothing special was done with regard to the Hong Kong flu. 100,000 people died in the US. There was no change in life-styles, the economy, and no social distancing. Wonder if we have done this all wrong. Also, Woodstock occurred during the pandemic.
https://www.truthorfiction.com/woodstock-pandemic/

You can check other fact-checking sites if you want, but this one is probably the most comprehensive I've seen. There's clearly more to the story than can fit on a meme.

Not Surprising At All...

Such a card-carrying member of the Nanny state....

The federal and state governments have spent tons of $ that we don't have, and much of it will turn out to have been wasted, just like the bail-out some 10+ years ago. Why don't you bitch at the idiotic and corrupt politicians rather than at a 78 yr old that asks for nothing other than to be left alone?

Such a card-carrying member of the Nanny state....

The federal and state governments have spent tons of $ that we don't have, and much of it will turn out to have been wasted, just like the bail-out some 10+ years ago. Why don't you bitch at the idiotic and corrupt politicians rather than at a 78 yr old that asks for nothing other than to be left alone?

You've been sucked in by his passive aggressive I'm your pal until I'm not schtick that he's been spreading on here for decades...

As far as myself and the "Nanny State" goes I've made my sacrifices, as has my family (family members currently on The Front Line), paid more than my fair share of taxes and always given not taken...

I'm not asking for s...t from from our government aside from eventually having access to a couple of P100 level masks that would allow me to move about when and if it's necessary... until a vaccine is developed.

Don't pull the picking on the old guy crap with me either. I'm over 65, in remission from stage 4 cancer..., and have associated issues..., I'm at high risk and I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy..., ( or support ).

My gripe with government is simply this: if you're gonna just say screw it, full speed ahead and leave the highest at risk floating in the wake of the ship (and maybe that "has" to be done) then I at least expect them to have the courtesy to throw a few life preservers over the side as they fade into the sunset...
*And I'm saying this for ALL the high risk over 59 types not just for myself. I figure I've been spared so many times that I can't complain when my number comes up, I've had a great life...*

Asking for P100 masks for the most vulnerable (after the Healthcare and First Responders get them) isn't anywhere close to what I'd call hoping to be dependent on a Nanny State...

Last edited:
You've been sucked in by his passive aggressive I'm your pal until I'm not schtick that he's been spreading on here for decades...

As far as myself and the "Nanny State" goes I've made my sacrifices, as has my family (family members currently on The Front Line), paid more than my fair share of taxes and always given not taken...

I'm not asking for s...t from from our government aside from eventually having access to a couple of P100 level masks that would allow me to move about when and if it's necessary... until a vaccine is developed.

Don't pull the picking on the old guy crap with me either. I'm over 65, in remission from stage 4 cancer..., and have associated issues..., I'm at high risk and I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy..., ( or support ).

My gripe with government is simply this: if you're gonna just say screw it, full speed ahead and leave the highest risk floating in the wake of the ship (and maybe that "has" to be done) then I at least expect them to have the courtesy to throw a few life preservers over the side as they fade into the sunset...
*And I'm saying this for ALL the high risk over 59 types not just for myself. I figure I've been spared so many times that I can't complain when my number comes up, I've had a great life...*

Asking for P100 masks for the most vulnerable (after the Healthcare and First Responders get them) isn't anywhere close to what I'd call hoping to be dependent on a Nanny State...

I think the govt lied about the value of masks early on, because there weren't any around, apparently because of the Chinese buying them up.....Fausi said no one needed them, the AG said they were worse than nothing......I thought that was odd at the time because every Chinese you saw on tv had one on.

I've never heard Fausi say he was wrong about that.....was he deceived at the nature of the virus by the Chinese? He's never been asked to explain by the inept and corrupt media, who are only, and I mean only, interested in getting Trump.

I think the govt lied about the value of masks early on, because there weren't any around, apparently because of the Chinese buying them up.....Fausi said no one needed them, the AG said they were worse than nothing......I thought that was odd at the time because every Chinese you saw on tv had one on.

I've never heard Fausi say he was wrong about that.....was he deceived at the nature of the virus by the Chinese? He's never been asked to explain by the inept and corrupt media, who are only, and I mean only, interested in getting Trump.

In my opinion, Dr. Fauci has done as well as can be expected (maybe even better than could be expected) working within the political context his position requires..

He's given his opinions based on the best scientific information he had at the time...(as far as we know)... Did he lie to keep masks and other PPE from being hoarded so it might reach the Healthcare Workers and First Responders who needed it most? I don't know... I sure wouldn't fault him if he did...

I can tell you that sometime back in January I had a brief conversation with a medical doctor at a kids game and his response to my inquiry about the new Corona Virus was something like this: We've seen Corona Viruses before, we can deal with it... (now that's not even close to an exact quote but that was the gist of what he said)... This leads me to believe that the Healthcare pros didn't have the full picture as to what they were dealing with at that point...

They'll be Plenty of blame to go around starting with the Chinese Communist Party internationally, and going back 10+ years nationally, After most of the tears have stopped flowing and the bodies have been partially counted..., right now we have to figure out how to deal with a Scourge of something that I call Invisible Sticky Glitter (because we now have to operate as though it's contaminated damn near everything we come into contact with)...

In my opinion, since the full speed ahead reopening is happening with or without us..., than the most vulnerable should at least be allowed to buy a couple of P100 level masks with filters (after the Healthcare Workers and First Responders get what they need).

In other words you put the most vulnerable "next in line" for those masks behind those two groups (HCW &FR)... Doesn't seem too much to ask to me...

Last edited:
I'm as big a critic of the administration's response to this thing as there is, particularly the extreme mixed message between the official "admin response" vs. what the president says at any given time. No denying there's a big disconnect.

But, pragmatically, I can say with full confidence that this is not sustainable. I'm lucky. I can home school my kids, meet clients, take depositions, and even do court hearings online from the comfort and security of my basement. Millions are not as fortunate. Brick and mortar businesses WILL go under for lack of foot traffic and because the margins at business like restaurants are so thin that they can't survive on 50% occupancy. And that's regardless of social distancing orders. If people don't feel safe, they won't go out like before.

I strongly believe that this is the time for leadership and really getting out there with a plan and instill confidence in the people. March was the time to get infection testing & contact tracing out there. Now is the time to have anti-body testing (that works better than what we've got) and hopefully a lot better handle on the level of protection that antibodies give you from re-infection. Instead, we're bickering by using catch-phrases and retreating to entrenched political positions as if a virus can have a political bent.
Tests for a new virus don't materialize from thin air and immediately ready for mass production. The progression of tests and faster less invasive tests have been impressive to me. I have worked with several Pharma companies including some Trump has mentioned being helpful. I have worked with Roche Genentech, Abbvie, and others on product technical transfers and product launches. A move or expansion of an existing line within a facility is a 2 year process to get internal and FDA approval. They are doing this now in weeks.

We knew little about this virus a few months ago to now have 15 minute tests ready for the public and being produced in increasing numbers. It is impressive if you have worked in the pharma industry. It could not have been done without the government and the industry leveraging known safe practices and letting pharma companies accelerate development and approval.

Tests for a new virus don't materialize from thin air and immediately ready for mass production. The progression of tests and faster less invasive tests have been impressive to me. I have worked with several Pharma companies including some Trump has mentioned being helpful. I have worked with Roche Genentech, Abbvie, and others on product technical transfers and product launches. A move or expansion of an existing line within a facility is a 2 year process to get internal and FDA approval. They are doing this now in weeks.

We knew little about this virus a few months ago to now have 15 minute tests ready for the public and being produced in increasing numbers. It is impressive if you have worked in the pharma industry. It could not have been done without the government and the industry leveraging known safe practices and letting pharma companies accelerate development and approval.

I have no qualms with the statement that the innovation American companies have shown in making these tests. But it took us until March 23rd and 24th to overtake Italy & South Korea, respectively, on total tests given. Not per capita, because obviously the scale is different based on populations, but total. Click the link to see. You can also add/remove countries to see other comparisons. That site also shows daily tests, which you can also see severely lagged other countries until mid-late March.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...-19?time=..2020-03-26&country=ITA+KOR+ESP+USA

This isn't an "orange man bad" thing either. The first CDC tests objectively were faulty. That's not an indictment of the administration, but it can't be denied. It can't be denied that the official administration response was often at odds with the President's statements.

And I am convinced that at this point, testing alone isn't what we should be obsessed with at this point. We have more confirmed cases because we have more tests. It's useful for getting a fuller picture of spread, but the genie is out of the bottle. Right now, we need reliable anti-body testing with a better understanding of what immunities get built up by infection.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT