ADVERTISEMENT

RB position wide open

Certainly hope we have a more than serviceable running game this year. If we can't keep the defenses honest, our biggest offensive question could be exacerbated..... this coming year is turning into a tremendous measuring tool of the new Offensive Staff.... I hope they can coach it up.

Somebody needs to develop into a 20 carry per game type of RB. Unfortunately I'm not seeing the total package like we've had in Houston, Coleman and Howard. Those guys were studs, this group has much to prove.

Coleman was so good that teams still couldn't stop him the year Nate went down in Iowa City and iu had ZERO passing game.

Natee is interesting, he proved that he can punish Big Ten defenses. This is a position where IU needs to recruit 4 star players, period.

Reactions: HOOS13R
I might be in the minority, but I'm not concerned about this position. There's depth and experience at RB. If the OL jells, these guys will get it done. And someone may end up separating himself from the rest of the pack. Nobody saw stardom initially for Tevin Coleman (a 3* recruit) or Jordan Howard (a 2*). But they progressed, developed, and benefited from good coaching and a very good OL.

Somebody needs to develop into a 20 carry per game type of RB. Unfortunately I'm not seeing the total package like we've had in Houston, Coleman and Howard. Those guys were studs, this group has much to prove.

Coleman was so good that teams still couldn't stop him the year Nate went down in Iowa City and iu had ZERO passing game.

Natee is interesting, he proved that he can punish Big Ten defenses. This is a position where IU needs to recruit 4 star players, period.
None of the three running backs you mentioned were four stars. In fact, I'm pretty sure Houston and Howard were two stars. Also, before Tevin had his huge year, there were legitimate concerns over whether he could ever be a full-time back.

For sure, if IU is going to take the next level ultimately, it'll start in the trenches. I feel like IU has B10 "size" as most of the line goes around 6'4, 300lb. Not 100% sure they have the speed/quickness/skill set (or not) to control the line for running game and give excellent pass protection.

I thought OL coach we lost to UM was darn good, but will also say last year's OL really didn't dominate from my perspective.

Don't know thing really about the new OL coach, hasn't been at "huge" schools but Coach Allen seems to know him/have a trust in him, so who knows, he may really coach them up this year.

Hard to believe IU has entire new Offensive coaching staff. That's a big deal, althought thankfully they've been here since all of spring practice and have good experience. Maybe the change will do IU good!

Reactions: syddasloth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT