ADVERTISEMENT

Ransom

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
Is there anyone on here that believes we didn't pay $400 million ransom for the 4 hostages in Iran? How does everyone feel about that? I saw a report today that one of the hostages said they were held up 2 hours in Iran waiting for another plane to land. The $400M was sent in cash on a cargo plane. Could it be they were waiting on the cargo plane with the money?

Sorry driving. Edited last sentence.

Last edited:
Is there anyone on here that believes we didn't pay $400 million ransom for the 4 hostages in Iran? How does everyone feel about that? I saw a report today that one of the hostages said they were held up 2 hours in Iran waiting for another plane to land. The $400M was sent in cash on a cargo plane. Could be that was what they were wItibg on?

The $400 million payment to Iran was announced last January, and was made to settle either pending or threatened litigation regarding assets that have been frozen by the US since the 1990s. Why cash? US sanctions prohibit a banking relationship that would have allowed payment by check or electronic funds transfer.

Is there anyone on here that believes we didn't pay $400 million ransom for the 4 hostages in Iran? How does everyone feel about that? I saw a report today that one of the hostages said they were held up 2 hours in Iran waiting for another plane to land. The $400M was sent in cash on a cargo plane. Could be that was what they were wItibg on?

If Iran thought that was a payment for hostages then we got them for free. That money already belonged to Iran according to an international tribunal.

I believe we didn't pay the ransom. I believe it was exactly what Pres. Obama said it was when he announced it back in January: the appropriate time to finally settle a decades-old claim against the U.S. government by Iran:

The United States and Iran are now settling a longstanding Iranian government claim against the United States government. Iran will be returned its own funds, including appropriate interest, but much less than the amount Iran sought.

For the United States, this settlement could save us billions of dollars that could have been pursued by Iran. So there was no benefit to the United States in dragging this out. With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well.

If this were some sort of ransom, I don't think Obama would have been so quick to publicize it.

I believe we didn't pay the ransom. I believe it was exactly what Pres. Obama said it was when he announced it back in January: the appropriate time to finally settle a decades-old claim against the U.S. government by Iran:

The United States and Iran are now settling a longstanding Iranian government claim against the United States government. Iran will be returned its own funds, including appropriate interest, but much less than the amount Iran sought.

For the United States, this settlement could save us billions of dollars that could have been pursued by Iran. So there was no benefit to the United States in dragging this out. With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well.

If this were some sort of ransom, I don't think Obama would have been so quick to publicize it.

If that's true it seems poorly timed. Even am appearance of the US paying ransom is very bad in my mind.

If that's true it seems poorly timed. Even am appearance of the US paying ransom is very bad in my mind.
As Obama said in his press conference today, a lot of these things happened in a short period of time, because Iran and the U.S. were actually talking to each other. It's amazing how fast multiple issues can be resolved when two parties make an effort to actually sit down at a table together and discuss them.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Is there anyone on here that believes we didn't pay $400 million ransom for the 4 hostages in Iran? How does everyone feel about that? I saw a report today that one of the hostages said they were held up 2 hours in Iran waiting for another plane to land. The $400M was sent in cash on a cargo plane. Could it be they were waiting on the cargo plane with the money?

Sorry driving. Edited last sentence.

You do realize that a good chunk of that was interest, and we did actually owe them that money??? And what goat and sope already said.

Reactions: DrHoops
No one can help what is "very bad in [your] mind." There are only the facts that exist in objective reality outside your mind.

No one can help what is "very bad in [your] mind." There are only the facts that exist in objective reality outside your mind.

Sorry. No big deal we delivered $400M in cash at the exact time hostages were released. Sure would have been fun counting and packaging the cash. I wonder if Iranians counted it all before the hostages we allowed to leave? Iran has two more hostages now. Do we just happen to owe them $200M more to get these folks free?

Sorry. No big deal we delivered $400M in cash at the exact time hostages were released. Sure would have been fun counting and packaging the cash. I wonder if Iranians counted it all before the hostages we allowed to leave? Iran has two more hostages now. Do we just happen to owe them $200M more to get these folks free?
You are immune to facts. You should work on that.

You've ben told the facts, and it's not good enough for you. That's a you problem. #tantrum

You are immune to facts. You should work on that.
He is working on it -- by angrily denying or ignoring the facts that would deprive him of his tantrum. He wants his outrage, and he'll have it whatever you eggheads may claim the "facts" might be. Damn your "facts"!

If this happen under a republican administration you wouldn't believe this set of facts.
Wrong. This is the difference between you and me. I see the facts, they make sense, I move on. That's it. You, on the other hand, see Obama, and the thinking part of your brain immediately shuts down.

He is working on it -- by angrily denying or ignoring the facts that would deprive him of his tantrum. He wants his outrage, and he'll have it whatever you eggheads may claim the "facts" might be. Damn your "facts"!

I haven't angrily done anything. You're the one with the anger problem. It's right about now you can start with insults and name calling. This $400M stinks to high heaven. It doesn't to you which is fine.

Everyone has their own interpretation of supposed facts.
No. They don't. The facts have been shown to you, but you reject them. You don't have your own facts, you have only your determined refusal to face the facts.

Reactions: Zizkov
I haven't angrily done anything. You're the one with the anger problem. It's right about now you can start with insults and name calling. This $400M stinks to high heaven. It doesn't to you which is fine.
So you say, but you're the one making stuff up. Maybe you do that happily, and not angrily, but you're still making stuff up. Your olfactory sensing isn't a fact -- except in your mind.

Reactions: Zizkov
So you say, but you're the one making stuff up. Maybe you do that happily, and not angrily, but you're still making stuff up. Your olfactory sensing isn't a fact -- except in your mind.

What did I make up? I asked questions in my OP. I said it looked bad. What did I make up? Where did get angry?

I was advised that he first was insinuating that the video was something he'd seen in his national security briefing.
Many people say that he's a sociopath. Ask around, and see if people agree he's a sociopath. I mean, I don't want to say he's a sociopath, but ask around and see if others say he's a sociopath. Maybe there will be people talking about that. : )

Why is it it stinks now instead of back in January when it was announced? Amazing what a WSJ headline and Drudge link will do.

I don't think people were paying too much attention when the hostages were released and now some journalist are investigating.

Why is it it stinks now instead of back in January when it was announced? Amazing what a WSJ headline and Drudge link will do.

Because August is hotter than January. Things smell worse when it's hot outside. And it takes the focus off Trump's stupid ass. That's ok though, Trump won't let the attention stray from himself too long. He can't handle not being the focus of everything.

You notice how there aren't a lot of headlines about Hillary lately? That woman is savvy. She sees Trump imploding on his own and doesn't want to take the attention away from him.

I don't think people were paying too much attention when the hostages were released and now some journalist are investigating.
Investigating what was openly announced at the time?

You're precious.

What did I make up? I asked questions in my OP. I said it looked bad. What did I make up? Where did get angry?
So in a post entitled "Ransom" you were just, you know, asking:

Let me just ask, do you have sex with goats? I mean, I'm not saying you have sex with goats. I'm just, you know, asking if you have sex with goats. You can't say I'm actually suggesting that you have sex with goats, because I'm only asking if you have sex with goats.

Obviously this is absurd and offensive, but unlike your OP, I was only "asking", whereas you were insinuating. Don't be a chickenshit. Stand by your OP, or walk away.

Let me just ask, do you have sex with goats? I mean, I'm not saying you have sex with goats. I'm just, you know, asking if you have sex with goats. You can't say I'm actually suggesting that you have sex with goats, because I'm only asking if you have sex with goats.

Obviously this is absurd and offensive, but unlike your OP, I was only "asking", whereas you were insinuating. Don't be a chickenshit. Stand by your OP, or walk away.

I asked 3 questions.

I find your question extremely offensive. You couldn't have picked another farm animal?

BTW there's no part of you that I am chickenshit of. I've got you pictured as an old frustrated angry white guy that hasn't been very successful. Just like a few others on here that shout most of the insults.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT