Vernon Payne
Joe Cooke
Wally Choice
Joby Wright
Ken Johnson
Jon McGlocklin
Jim Bubbles Harris

And I forgot Tom Bolyard

Apparently Assembly Call doesn't think any of them is as good as Troy Williams or AJ Moye.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Bill DeHeer
Frank Radovich
Butch Joyner
Vernon Payne
Joe Cooke
Wally Choice
Joby Wright
Ken Johnson
Jon McGlocklin
Jim Bubbles Harris

And I forgot Tom Bolyard

Apparently Assembly Call doesn't think any of them is as good as Troy Williams or AJ Moye.
Wow that going back in time cant really rank them but Butch Joyner,Bill DeHeer,Vernon Payne, Joe Cooke,Joby Wright,Jon McGlocklin jump out as really good players.

Bill DeHeer
Frank Radovich
Butch Joyner
Vernon Payne
Joe Cooke
Wally Choice
Joby Wright
Ken Johnson
Jon McGlocklin
Jim Bubbles Harris

And I forgot Tom Bolyard

I would only be able to tell you one of those guys played for IU. Mainly because I knew his kid. Well I don’t feel old today!

Bill DeHeer
Frank Radovich
Butch Joyner
Vernon Payne
Joe Cooke
Wally Choice
Joby Wright
Ken Johnson
Jon McGlocklin
Jim Bubbles Harris

And I forgot Tom Bolyard

Vernon Payne is why I became a Hoosier Fan when I was seven years old. I loved AJ and the energy he brought. I was NEVER a fan of Troy Williams. Vern was a skilled guard and a.scoring threat from.anywhere.

I'm certainly biased because Payne came from my hometown as a kid. That said, if AJ and Troy Williams are in the conversation....
The only others I.actually know anything about are Joby Wright and McGlocklin.

Bill DeHeer
Frank Radovich
Butch Joyner
Vernon Payne
Joe Cooke
Wally Choice
Joby Wright
Ken Johnson
Jon McGlocklin
Jim Bubbles Harris

And I forgot Tom Bolyard

McGlocklin

Bolyard

Payne

Johnson

Cooke

Joyner

DeHeer

Wright

Harris

Radovitch and Choice are before my attending games regularly, but both may rate higher than some of the above.

Payne and Joyner were both major cogs in one of IU's most fun and over achieving seasons ever, and have a special place in IU history for that, which transcends their individual place.

comparing guards to bigs, and 60s players to those 40 yrs later, isn't really fair or quantifiable.

McGlocklin had the best basketball career of the above.

Last edited:
The only name I didn't recognize is Wally Choice. Those teams of the 60's are players I cut my IU teeth on, starting with Walt Bellamy, Jimmy Rayl, Al Harden, Van Ardsdale twins, Steve Redenbaugh to name a few others off the top of my head.

Frank Radovich was a great IU power forward who graduated 1 year ahead of Bellamy. His senior year he averaged 14.8 points and 11.9 rebounds per game. His game was similar to that of Marco Killingsworth. Radovich was rough, tough and came to play. He also got up and down the floor in the Hurrin' Hoosiers offense which Branch McCracken ran.

Frank Radovich was a great IU power forward who graduated 1 year ahead of Bellamy. His senior year he averaged 14.8 points and 11.9 rebounds per game. His game was similar to that of Marco Killingsworth. Radovich was rough, tough and came to play. He also got up and down the floor in the Hurrin' Hoosiers offense which Branch McCracken ran.
Marco Killingsworth-that brings back memories of 2005. He looked like a lottery pick in that Duke game and then never did much the rest of the season.

Marco Killingsworth-that brings back memories of 2005. He looked like a lottery pick in that Duke game and then never did much the rest of the season.

that's not really true. he had a very good yr.

DJ getting hurt and forcing him play the 5 at 6' 6" instead of his natural 4 didn't help.

DJ getting hurt was very significant, as it blew IU up at 3 to 4 positions.

Ken Johnson's game from the OP was similar to MK.

Last edited:
Reactions: JIMSHAM
The only name I didn't recognize is Wally Choice. Those teams of the 60's are players I cut my IU teeth on, starting with Walt Bellamy, Jimmy Rayl, Al Harden, Van Ardsdale twins, Steve Redenbaugh to name a few others off the top of my head.

there is a blowup of this great pic in the IMU bookstore window of Bellamy holding a ball in each outstretched hand above 4 other players.

another poster here once identified the other 4 for me, and one of the other 2 black players in the pick is Choice, per said poster.

th

i could tell from the pic it was taken in the upstairs gym in the HPER.

last summer walking campus i had to solve exactly where.

it was the southwest corner of the gym. (IU once played their games there, pre the attached fieldhouse being built.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT