ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the Roster Talent Next Season

cryano

All-Big Ten
Apr 19, 2005
Who are the top 5 most talented players on next years roster?
Start w the most talented.

Not your starting 5...just the top 5 most talented players in your opinion...

TJD
Lander
Phinisee
Hunter
Leal

If we’re going off potential

Lander
Geronimo
TJD
Hunter
Franklin

Reactions: Spartans9312
It’s an intriguing question as I am pretty sure our starting 5 next season will only have 2 players that are on most lists. Likely starters:

durham
Phinisee
Smith
Brunk
Tjd

we have an incredibly talented, deep and experienced team. More so than going into last season, and I felt that last year we had the talent, depth and experience to finish oin the top 3 in the conference, and as a top 15 team. Over last summer there was a lot of speculation that smith would be supplanted by Hunter, that Anderson and Franklin would play a lot.

fans love the shiny new objects.

But, for example, it didn’t matter if I thought Rob Hodgsen looked like Larry Bird against dogwood high. The current IU coach has some say in who plays. The current IU coach also has an affect on how the talent is used and ultimately how we as fans view the individual players on the team.

I used to get so frustrated watching Troy Williams. He was very possibly the most talented player in the B10 while he was at IU. But he was utilized poorly, dribbling into traffic frequently. It almost seemed as if Crean wanted to accentuate his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Last season our front court was a clear strength. Our backcourt lacked an offensive creator and our team needed better shooters. But, who’s to say the problem was talent? Maybe if we switched rosters with Wisconsin we’d be saying the same darn thing? You can’t assume that if we have a player that shoots 30% on 3’s that he in an inferior shooter to another conference player that shoots 40%.

I suspect that this season we will see a very similar minute allotment to what we saw at the end of the season, with Lander eating up Greens minutes.

If Brunk can play more disciplined on D, and develop some stamina, he could be a very good offensive post player for us. And a very good rebounder.

I expect smith will play even more within himself this year.

TJD should be first team all B10

I’d like to see Phin be more aggressive with the ball. He needs to have a little bit more of Durhams personality , and not be so timid on the drive. He needs to penetrate. Maybe it was just his health, but he seemed lackadaisical last year, not something you want from a PG.

lander brings a world of talent, and he’ll get his minutes.

Race and Hunter should be able to pick up where they left off last season.

Speaking of two way players. How many of our players are two way ? I can only name one perhaps two.
Our team has too many compromising scenarios such as we give up something on the offense end to shore up defense. As mentioned we do not have one consistent outside shooter so we compromise the offense.
As far has having the pieces in place for next year we are hoping because as of now we are only one year older.

1.) TJD
2.) Lander- a complete guess at this point but guys ranked that high are good.
3.) Phinisee
4.) Hunter
5.) Galloway

I can't bring myself to add Smith as mostly he just has immense athleticism. I like Galloway's moxie. I think he has the kind of grit that Hulls, Coverdale, and Fife had.

Reactions: cryano
Easy. Bigger, longer, more athletic. Franklin is going to be a very intriguing 2-way player as an upperclassmen.

Franklin reminds me of Remy Abel plus AJ Ratliff. Not that he can't be his own man, but I see in him a potentially solid defender, a solid slasher, and a clutch scorer. He should get better and just be a solid contributor going forward.

Tjd
Lander
Hunter
Phin
Xxx

Not a clear cut 5th imo. Maybe franklin or smith. Possibly one of the other frosh, but way too early to tell

Reactions: cryano
Franklin reminds me of Remy Abel plus AJ Ratliff. Not that he can't be his own man, but I see in him a potentially solid defender, a solid slasher, and a clutch scorer. He should get better and just be a solid contributor going forward.

Unless Franklin significantly improves his shooting ability, he will be (or should be) recruited over. So I don't see him being a solid contributor. But I'm hoping he excels and gets it done.

Unless Franklin significantly improves his shooting ability, he will be (or should be) recruited over. So I don't see him being a solid contributor. But I'm hoping he excels and gets it done.

His shooting will improve, I'm fairly confident in that. He was inconsistent and to be expected as a freshman but he did hit some big shots in some crucial moments in a few games this year. From a technique standpoint, he has nice form, just needs to see some of them go in. Biggest takeaway from Franklin last year was his confidence. He would go cold and make mistakes but never shied away, I think that's crucial for a developing player. I think we'll see marked improvement from AF this year and really look for his role to take off as a junior.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I think the best lineup to start the year is
Jackson-Davis
Smith
Hunter
Durham
Phinisee

first four off the bench Lander, Thompson, Brunk, and Franklin. We will have a deep team next year.

Im seeing TJD and Lander as top talent...
And after those two...a bunch of mediocrity. Very deep mediocrity though, which makes it tough to pick out the top 5 talents...

I can’t point to any other player that any other B10 team would point out and say ‘we need that guy’(or a guy like that)...

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Im seeing TJD and Lander as top talent...
And after those two...a bunch of mediocrity. Very deep mediocrity though, which makes it tough to pick out the top 5 talents...

I can’t point to any other player that any other B10 team would point out and say ‘we need that guy’(or a guy like that)...
I like Thompson and Hunter. Those two are poised for a great year.

Reactions: mattn7

If I was going to pick a dynasty team off of this roster I'd probably go...

1. Lander
2. TJD
3. Geronimo (I think he's going to be a three year monster)
4. Hunter
5. Race/Rob

I think Rob had abdominal issues last year and I think Race is going to develop a solid offensive game and turn into a Reid Travis like double double machine.

This isn't my starting lineup, just who I think will end up as the most talented guys off the current roster.

I fear Lander is in for some culture shock if he reclassifies. The big ten is a rough conference for a 150 pound 17 year old.

Reactions: cryano and .Gerdis
If I was going to pick a dynasty team off of this roster I'd probably go...

1. Lander
2. TJD
3. Geronimo (I think he's going to be a three year monster)
4. Hunter
5. Race/Rob

I think Rob had abdominal issues last year and I think Race is going to develop a solid offensive game and turn into a Reid Travis like double double machine.

This isn't my starting lineup, just who I think will end up as the most talented guys off the current roster.

I fear Lander is in for some culture shock if he reclassifies. The big ten is a rough conference for a 150 pound 17 year old.

He will get pushed around some but will be better for it come sophomore year. He might see three 3 years at IU.

My favorite thing about him is his confidence. He thinks he is the best PG in the world. I love that.

Reactions: TommyCracker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT