ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts

HoosierNative

Redshirt
Sep 30, 2007
As a longtime Hoosier football fan, this was the first season (especially after the first game or two) I can remember expecting a consistent and high standard of play in all three phases of the game. Yes, the offense had some limitations (e.g., rushing game), but they did not turn the ball over and regularly took advantage of the many short fields provided by the defense. By mid-season (post Ohio State game), I expected IU to win and could actually (almost) relax and enjoy each Saturday contest knowing the cohesiveness of this team and its outstanding performance level.

For example, I thought we were the better team early in the Wisconsin game. When we scored a touchdown to start the second half (an eleven point lead), it might as well have been 21 points. It was clear we were going to win, and I just relaxed and watched the defense put the clamps down. For a 14-6 score (retro 1970s) that was one of the most enjoyable ballgames I have ever watched.

What a luxury for Hoosier football fans ... something I had never known as a fan of this team prior to this season!

Given our consistent season-long performance, it made the bowl game all the more painful. The IU team of the regular season did not travel to Florida. Some of the reasons are understandable, but are still disappointing given our long-suffering history.

On another note, it seems pretty clear, based on the incoming graduate transfers, that the coaching staff anticipated Whop Philyor, Harry Crider, and Jerome Johnson (undeclared but probable in IMO) declaring for the NFL.

As long as we're being random . . .

(1) Nick Westbrook (now Westbrook-Ikhine) had a couple of catches in the Titans' loss this afternoon. He was activated on Jan. 3, so he's hanging on . . . to a marginal roster spot and the ball, apparently.

(2) SIAP, but Penn State quietly fired its OC, Kirk Ciarocca, who was in his first year this year after making a splash with PJ Fleck at Western Michigan and Minnesota. Then PSU hired Mike Yurcich, late of Texas and formerly at Ohio State and Okie State, to replace him as OC.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
As a longtime Hoosier football fan, this was the first season (especially after the first game or two) I can remember expecting a consistent and high standard of play in all three phases of the game. Yes, the offense had some limitations (e.g., rushing game), but they did not turn the ball over and regularly took advantage of the many short fields provided by the defense. By mid-season (post Ohio State game), I expected IU to win and could actually (almost) relax and enjoy each Saturday contest knowing the cohesiveness of this team and its outstanding performance level.

For example, I thought we were the better team early in the Wisconsin game. When we scored a touchdown to start the second half (an eleven point lead), it might as well have been 21 points. It was clear we were going to win, and I just relaxed and watched the defense put the clamps down. For a 14-6 score (retro 1970s) that was one of the most enjoyable ballgames I have ever watched.

What a luxury for Hoosier football fans ... something I had never known as a fan of this team prior to this season!

Given our consistent season-long performance, it made the bowl game all the more painful. The IU team of the regular season did not travel to Florida. Some of the reasons are understandable, but are still disappointing given our long-suffering history.

On another note, it seems pretty clear, based on the incoming graduate transfers, that the coaching staff anticipated Whop Philyor, Harry Crider, and Jerome Johnson (undeclared but probable in IMO) declaring for the NFL.
Very good post and on the money about IU's season. I hope coach Sheridan improves in 2021 and adds plays IE counters passes to RBs, helping the running game and making the offense even better. I hope we get the best DC for replacing coach Wommack and the defense improves once again being the one of best defenses in the B1G and the country. I also hope Matthews coming in will really improve our kicking returning much better and a treat to other teams.

This past season has been a blessing to fans and next season may be another one for the fans.

As long as we're being random . . .

(1) Nick Westbrook (now Westbrook-Ikhine) had a couple of catches in the Titans' loss this afternoon. He was activated on Jan. 3, so he's hanging on . . . to a marginal roster spot and the ball, apparently.

(2) SIAP, but Penn State quietly fired its OC, Kirk Ciarocca, who was in his first year this year after making a splash with PJ Fleck at Western Michigan and Minnesota. Then PSU hired Mike Yurcich, late of Texas and formerly at Ohio State and Okie State, to replace him as OC.

Yurchic was a grad assistant at IU 2003 -2004 before going on to various positions at St.Francis. Talented individual hope he doesn’t stay under Franklin long.

Yurchic was a grad assistant at IU 2003 -2004 before going on to various positions at St.Francis. Talented individual hope he doesn’t stay under Franklin long.
Yurcich was at St Francis before IU he went Edinboro then Shippensburg before Gundy called him. As far as Ciarroco and Franklin concerned Franklin would not allow Ciarroco to do some things they both dig in and obviously the head coach is going to win. When Yurcich became available Ciarroco became expendable. If Franklin thinks Yurcich is going to back down he is mistaken.

It will be interesting to see how he does at PSU and I hope he doesn't turn them into the best team in the B1G. I would love to have Ole Miss style of offense at IU even if it would be slowed down. The schemes and running game is much better than what IU ran this year. Hopefully coach Sheridan will look at their offense and incorporate it into IU's offense.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
It will be interesting to see how he does at PSU and I hope he doesn't turn them into the best team in the B1G. I would love to have Ole Miss style of offense at IU even if it would be slowed down. The schemes and running game is much better than what IU ran this year. Hopefully coach Sheridan will look at their offense and incorporate it into IU's offense.
So can a college OC just look at what someone else is doing and figure out how to incorporate it? It surely cannot be that easy. I would be very happy if he would incorporate some of what Deborer did here. Sheridan had an entire year with him to learn the system. Let’s do this CNS!

Reactions: td75 and red hornet
So can a college OC just look at what someone else is doing and figure out how to incorporate it? It surely cannot be that easy. I would be very happy if he would incorporate some of what Deborer did here. Sheridan had an entire year with him to learn the system. Let’s do this CNS!
Yes it actually is that easy. There are no secrets in football. You can tweet things here and there but for the most part everyone does the same things. Where offenses differ is in play calling and execution. People will implement different schemes and concepts they are confident in.

I agree on the execution and having the players to execute it. I thought Alabama's offence was creative and new with some of the misdirection and movement they had to get their playmaker open. That was an exciting offense. It seemed different than what I have seen in a while.

Reactions: red hornet
Yes if he is a good coach, he can by breaking down film yes you can incorporate things other teams do. Even as a HS coach I did this with successful teams we played but put my own twist on it.

I agree on the execution and having the players to execute it. I thought Alabama's offence was creative and new with some of the misdirection and movement they had to get their playmaker open. That was an exciting offense. It seemed different than what I have seen in a while.
Yes Sark had a few wrinkles but I had actually seen somebody else do some similar things during bowl season but can’t remember who. However because OSU insisted on staying in man Sark stayed on it. Ain’t broke don’t fix it type of deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT